Media Bias Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

2 hours ago, DixonHur said:

So is your point that Trump doesn't want to be a dictator?  Because, if so, I'd love to hear the exculpatory evidence.

No, my point is the same media wants Trump to act more like one now.  A media that supposedly hates dictators but seems to think China can do no wrong.  No surprise really, I've been posting here for years that the left at heart are authoritarianists and have been getting shit for it the whole time.  It doesn't surprise me one bit they would rather carry China's water than recognize a democracy in Taiwan. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

1 hour ago, EMAWesome said:

No, my point is the same media wants Trump to act more like one now.  A media that supposedly hates dictators but seems to think China can do no wrong.  No surprise really, I've been posting here for years that the left at heart are authoritarianists and have been getting shit for it the whole time.  It doesn't surprise me one bit they would rather carry China's water than recognize a democracy in Taiwan. 

So according to you, the options for leadership are none at all, or full blown dictatorship?

Surely if we think hard enough we can identify a middle ground.

• Like 1

Trump would be a dictator if he could. Meaning he clearly does not want to answer to any other branch of government for his actions.  And he'd be one of the worst in history because of his lack of empathy and concern for the people he governs.  Because he has no ideology to speak of, he might not engage in an ideological genocide, but I wouldn't put most dictator tactics beyond him.

Advocating following the Chinese model for dealing with the corona virus does not equal advocating for a communist dictatorship.  It might be the wrong thing to do, but not because China is a communist dictatorship (or only tangentially so, that is, we may not want to do what China did because they lied about the results, and probably the methodology, to make themselves look better, which is dictatorial and also something Trump would do).

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

https://twitter.com/JoyAnnReid/status/1244744904523370496

So my Tiger King binge was interrupted by a text saying the CEO of MyPillow is now part of the presidential briefings on COVID19 ... please tell me this is a prank.

Excuse me, don't you have a job working as a news anchor on a national news network during the biggest crisis this country has faced since at least 9-11?  Why are you watching Tiger King instead of covering, or at least watching, a news conference given by the President of the United States of America concerning the latest information regarding this crisis?

• Fuck You 1

CNN runs graphics proclaiming the U.S. has passed Italy and China to become the world's leader in deaths from Covid 19 based on total numbers and not deaths per capita.  CNN then fact checks Trump's claim that the U.S. tests more people than any other country in the world and proclaims he is lying because he used the total number of tests and not tests per capita.

https://pjmedia.com/trending/what-the-media-isnt-telling-you-about-the-united-states-coronavirus-case-numbers/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

The GOP has found it's greatest ally in the only foreigner controlled news network in FOX.  Market is more important than truth at Fox and it always has been.  So it's not a surprise to see Fox reinforcing misinformation to folks that want to hear lies.  It used to be long ago that the GOP was a party of fiscal conservatism and smaller government.  Now the GOP explodes the national debt ANY time they have control and a decent economy.  As is well know, your investments are worth a lot more at the end of Democratic Presidencies than they are at the end of GOP Presidencies.

This is mainly because the GOP shits the bed on the economy once they get control, remove regulations, and borrow and spend like drunken sailors trying to help the rich and corporations. Funny isn't it how Trump inherited the best economy ever handed a sitting President in our lifetimes, and Fox news claims repeatedly that the greatest economy ever inherited was not.  They just lie, because... the average FOX news watcher simply does not know many actual facts.  They are ignorant on math, science and other empirically based information.  Instead the focus is on "feelings" mostly outrage over falsehoods pushed by Fox.

Unfortunately for many Fox news watchers the are going to realize that facts count, and at the most unfortunate time.  When they get a cough and catch a virus they "didn't even need to worry about..."

Edited by horn4life
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

CNN runs graphics proclaiming the U.S. has passed Italy and China to become the world's leader in deaths from Covid 19 based on total numbers and not deaths per capita.  CNN then fact checks Trump's claim that the U.S. tests more people than any other country in the world and proclaims he is lying because he used the total number of tests and not tests per capita.

https://pjmedia.com/trending/what-the-media-isnt-telling-you-about-the-united-states-coronavirus-case-numbers/

Why would you care about deaths per capita? 

This isn't very hard to grasp.  Tests per capita is an indication of how accurate your coronavirus numbers are...what does deaths per capita tell you?

Wouldn't the fatality rate be more telling?  i.e. number of deaths / number of infected?

3 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

You live in an insane world.

The media wants honesty from Trump. Trump has lied every step of the way during this crisis. He lies every day during his press conferences. Wanting the truth is not wanting a dictator.

Please post all of the links you see every day where reputable mainstream news sources say China can do no wrong. 

As for the left being "authoritarianists," are you taking about the media banging the drum about Trump actually using the Defense Production Act as soon as possible? If you want to label helping doctors & medical staff during an unprecedented pandemic crisis as a lust for authoritarianism, that is bizarre.

Your point about Taiwan is just silly. You should be better than that. 

53 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

i understand that you see a double-standard here.  but "per capita" is how testing has been tracked from the jump.  total number of deaths is how deaths have been tracked from the jump.  this goes way back to february when it was mostly "other countries" that were being reported on.

i think we can all agree that a statement from any public official (blue or red) that sounded like, "well, sure, the u.s. has 312,000 deaths, but considering our overall population, that's actually not bad, right?"

meanwhile, saying "we've already run 250,000 tests sounds like it could be a lot, or it could not be a lot.  we don't know how many tests are available and where they came from or how quickly they give results.  we also don't know if we're only testing symptomatic people or anyone who comes into the hospital.

cnn and msnbc have their moments of double-standards because trump is a really easy target, but this one is a reach.  sorry, pal.

• Like 1

On March 6th, which seems like several lifetimes ago, Pence promised 4 million tests in a week:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/government-promises-4-million-coronavirus-tests-by-next-week-what-comes-next/

Big swing and a miss.

Also on March 6th, Trump said everyone who needs a test can get one:

https://khn.org/news/donald-trumps-wrong-claim-that-anybody-can-get-tested-for-coronavirus/

If you won't admit that is a radically dishonest statement by the President, you need to leave this site and never post here again. 

• Like 1

The bottom line is those that support Trump PREFER to believe lies rather than facts.  They can spin and justify anything based on feelings, musings, because these rationalizations that are a NECESSITY to not say... OK I am a fucking dumbass...  

The moment that many FOX news followers will realize the truth actually does matter is when they get a pesky cough... and it keeps getting worse. Then the thoughts about facts creep in and the "OK I am a fucking dumbass" moves to the front of the cue...

3 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

This is for the next time some fuckstick in the media (in this case Joe Scarborough) tries to tell you that everyone but Trump knew this was going to be serious months ago.

spacer.png

You mean like this 'fuckstick"...

President Donald Trump on Tuesday said he knew from the start that thousands of Americans could die from the novel coronavirus but downplayed the threat because he wanted to stay positive and be a "cheerleader" for the country.

At Tuesday's White House press briefing, Trump was asked whether he lulled Americans into a false sense of security by telling the public that the virus would go away quickly, even as it was clear the number of cases and death toll were on the rise. 

"I knew everything. I knew it could be horrible, I knew it could be maybe good," Trump said. "I don't want to be a negative person."

He continued: "This is really easy to be negative about. But I want to give people hope too. You know I'm a cheerleader for the country — we are going through the worst thing that the country has probably ever seen."

Link

• Like 2

22 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

i understand that you see a double-standard here.  but "per capita" is how testing has been tracked from the jump.  total number of deaths is how deaths have been tracked from the jump.  this goes way back to february when it was mostly "other countries" that were being reported on.

i think we can all agree that a statement from any public official (blue or red) that sounded like, "well, sure, the u.s. has 312,000 deaths, but considering our overall population, that's actually not bad, right?"

meanwhile, saying "we've already run 250,000 tests sounds like it could be a lot, or it could not be a lot.  we don't know how many tests are available and where they came from or how quickly they give results.  we also don't know if we're only testing symptomatic people or anyone who comes into the hospital.

cnn and msnbc have their moments of double-standards because trump is a really easy target, but this one is a reach.  sorry, pal.

Yep.  Probably in both cases, the per capita number is more meaningful, especially with respect to testing, the significance of which is primarily statistical in any event. 

But giving death totals in per capita numbers tends to minimize or normalize (it is literally mathematically normalizing the number) deaths, which tends to be disfavored among survivors and those with empathy.

Edited by TwiceHorn

This is for the next time some fuckstick in the media (in this case Joe Scarborough) tries to tell you that everyone but Trump knew this was going to be serious months ago.

spacer.png

I'm thankful I missed that flu strain whose kill numbers double every 72 hours.  The guy at CVS offered me two shots.  One would help me avoid the flu that kills 30,000/year and the other one would only kill 100 people, but 72 hours later it would kill 200, and 72 hours after that 400, and 72 hours after that 800.  

He also said I could either have $1m up front, or 1 penny that would double every day for 30 days.  

I dunno, which should i choose?  

Edited by Lobo

23 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

Spin, spin, spin.

spacer.png

Trump did know it was going to be serious, though. He downplayed it for political expediency.

spacer.png

Difference here being that Trump has at his fingertips tons of resources that inform him daily on what is happening in the world and the threats that America may be under. With that knowledge, he decided to go on TV and blame the Dems for creating a hoax. 

But you want to blame reporters. Not the person in power with the real information. Why? No, seriously.... Why? 

• Like 3

EMAW, you do understand that what you are essentially declaring that the ABC affiliate in Phoenix has access to better intel than the President of the United States?  

Not the ringing endorsement you think it is.  I get your point, but all you're doing is claiming that these myriad two-bit media outlets have better info than your precious.

No guys, you don't get it. The media traditionally has reported on mass casualty events in per capita terms. That all changed once Trump became president. Likewise, when a deadly infectious disease is running through a population, obviously the most relevant figure is the total # of individuals tested, yet the media wants to point out the small fraction that are able to be tested.

How curious!

13 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

No guys, you don't get it. The media traditionally has reported on mass casualty events in per capita terms. That all changed once Trump became president. Likewise, when a deadly infectious disease is running through a population, obviously the most relevant figure is the total # of individuals tested, yet the media wants to point out the small fraction that are able to be tested.

How curious!

So statistically speaking, I am as likely to die from Lupus as I am from gun violence?  

Or what if Lupus from 'Bad News Bears' had a gun?  

3 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

I sure hope that makes you feel better. Trump was being briefed by the top experts, unlike the tools from local news and right wing blogs.

Trump had already been told about the Imperial College London report while he was publicly calling Covid19 a Democratic Hoax. 

Trump failed, and failed huge, and tens of thousands of Americans will die specifically because Trump is a terrible president. 

7 hours ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Difference here being that Trump has at his fingertips tons of resources that inform him daily on what is happening in the world and the threats that America may be under. With that knowledge, he decided to go on TV and blame the Dems for creating a hoax. 

But you want to blame reporters. Not the person in power with the real information. Why? No, seriously.... Why? 

the best part of his graphic is that a lot of the headlines don't even support the point this common clay of the new west is trying to make.  we'd be lucky if this shit only spread like sars.  sars only infected 8,000 people worldwide. 

9 hours ago, JFKFC said:

I sure hope that makes you feel better. Trump was being briefed by the top experts, unlike the tools from local news and right wing blogs.

Trump had already been told about the Imperial College London report while he was publicly calling Covid19 a Democratic Hoax. 

Trump failed, and failed huge, and tens of thousands of Americans will die specifically because Trump is a terrible president. 

How many questions were asked about Coronavirus at the Democrat debates in January and February? The fact is everyone in this country underestimated this and the vast majority of people in the entire world underestimated this.  Politicians, media, federal government, state government, local government, economists,  intelligence agencies, doctors, everyone.  If you were one of those few people crying out about this two or three months ago you were treated by the rest of the country, Democrats, Republicans, Independents, whoever, as if you had a black velvet painting of Alex Jones in your bedroom.  It is ridiculous to say Trump should have seen this coming sooner when 99% of America wasn't seeing it coming sooner either.  Of course maybe the politicians, the media, and the rest of the country might have paid a little more attention to it if a complete political sham of an impeachment trial hadn't been taking up everyone's time and attention back then.

• Fuck You 5

18 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

How many questions were asked about Coronavirus at the Democrat debates in January and February? The fact is everyone in this country underestimated this and the vast majority of people in the entire world underestimated this.  Politicians, media, federal government, state government, local government, economists,  intelligence agencies, doctors, everyone.  If you were one of those few people crying out about this two or three months ago you were treated by the rest of the country, Democrats, Republicans, Independents, whoever, as if you had a black velvet painting of Alex Jones in your bedroom.  It is ridiculous to say Trump should have seen this coming sooner when 99% of America wasn't seeing it coming sooner either.  Of course maybe the politicians, the media, and the rest of the country might have paid a little more attention to it if a complete political sham of an impeachment trial hadn't been taking up everyone's time and attention back then.

spacer.png

Edited by SmokeyTheBear

38 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

Democratic candidates and the press posing questions weren't privy to the early governmental information, either.

No one is saying he should have seen it coming.  We're saying he should have gotten off his fat, gelatinous ass faster when he was told it was coming.  And have a reaction other than "OMG, mah economeh, muh election."

It's called leadership.  He has none because he's one of the most self-centered people to hold high office.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

Here are a few, there are more. These are from some of the candidates such as Cory Booker, Warren, and Yang. There were others.

Trump was briefed about COVID-19 well before any of the articles I bothered to list and I didn't look for earlier ones. Tom Bossert warned Trump from afar since he was no longer with the WH. So did Scott Gottleib, no longer with the WH (FDA). Maybe Doctor Kushner was making the rounds and advising everyone.

Jan 24, 2020: Amid ongoing fears that the deadly coronavirus will land in New Jersey, U.S. senators Cory Booker and Bob Menendez are calling on the federal government to begin screening travelers for the virus at Newark Liberty International Airport.

Jan 27, 2020 U.S. Senators Amy Klobuchar (D-MN) and Tina Smith (D-MN) joined Senator Patty Murray (D-WA), Ranking Member of the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions (HELP), and 29 Democratic senators in sending a letter to Secretary Alex Azar at the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) requesting updates on the Administration’s response to the 2019 Novel Coronavirus outbreak and information on the steps being taken to keep Americans safe. In the letter, the senators asked the Department to keep them updated with the latest information regarding the severity of the disease, the country’s capacity to diagnose cases, the necessary steps to prepare U.S. health care workers, the system established for U.S. airport screenings, the status of a Novel Coronavirus vaccine, and more. 

The senators also urged the Department to continue its robust, scientifically-driven response to the outbreak and asked what steps Congress should take to support their efforts to keep families safe. 

Jan 28, 2020 U.S. Senators Bob Menendez, the ranking member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee and a senior member of the Senate Finance Committee that sets national health policy, and Cory Booker (both D-N.J.), a member of the Foreign Relations Committee, today released the following statement after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) announced that Newark Liberty International Airport is being added to the list of ports of entries with stepped-up passenger screenings for the deadly Novel Coronavirus that has sickened more than 4,500 and killed over 100 people worldwide.  The senators had been pressing U.S. health officials to include Newark, the nation’s fifth busiest airport be added. 

Jan 28, 2020 Democratic presidential candidate Elizabeth Warren has announced a plan to prevent, contain and treat infectious diseases as a new viral illness spreads in China.

The Massachusetts senator on Tuesday unveiled a plan that includes fully funding the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's pandemic prevention and response programs. The agency has faced stiff budget cuts under President Donald Trump, including to emergency funds and global health programs that were established following West Africa's Ebola epidemic in 2014.

Jan 29, 2020 Andrew Yang interview on Bloomberg TV.

Feb 13, 2020 Senate Democrats want to know who at the National Security Council is in charge of responding to coronavirus and other challenges in global health security.

“Is NSC working to hire a dedicated, senior global health security expert?” asked 24 senators led by Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts and Patty Murray of Washington, in a Thursday morning letter to National Security Adviser Robert O’Brien.

Warren, a 2020 presidential candidate, and Murray, the ranking member on the Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee had previously written to then-national security adviser John Bolton in May 2018 on the same topic after reports that the person in charge of global health at the National Security Council was departing as part of Bolton’s reshuffling of the operation.

Warren and Murray, now joined by 22 of their colleagues, indicated in their letter that the post might still be vacant. O’Brien serves as part of President Donald Trump’s coronavirus task force.

Feb 19, 2020 Senate Democrats are urging the Trump administration to request emergency funding from Congress to respond to the coronavirus. 

In a letter to Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary Alex Azar and Office of Management and Budget (OMB) Director Mick Mulvaney, 25 Senate Democrats said they have heard concerns from state and local public health departments that are facing additional costs from responding to the outbreak. 

February 26, 2020 Democratic candidates repeatedly attacked President Donald Trump's handling of the coronavirus outbreak, the first time the still-mysterious disease has been discussed at the presidential debates.

The links for most of the above titles are spoilered to save space. I can post the remainder, except for the WaPo one because its paywalled:

• Like 4

4 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

waterboy.

Georgia Gov. explains his shocking lack of knowledge

Perhaps we have just witnessed the most pure effect of watching exclusively Fox News. The Governor of Georgia, Brian Kemp said he just found out yesterday that the coronavirus could be transmitted by asymptomatic people (asymptomatic means not showing signs of illness Fox news watchers). Take that in again, the Governor of a State AND his lead medical officer just found out yesterday that the virus could be spread before sick people showed signs of illness.  The ONLY way that is possible if you watch television is to watch Fox as your singular source of TV news.

In this case media bias is actually gonna cost some people their lives in Georgia.

Edited by horn4life
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, horn4life said:

Perhaps we have just witnessed the most pure effect of watching exclusively Fox News. The Governor of Georgia, Brian Kemp said he just found out yesterday that the coronavirus could be transmitted by asymptomatic people (asymptomatic means not showing signs of illness Fox news watchers). Take that in again, the Governor of a State AND his lead medical officer just found out yesterday that the virus could be spread before sick people showed signs of illness.  The ONLY way that is possible if you watch television is to watch Fox as your singular source of TV news.

In this case media bias is actually gonna cost some people their lives in Georgia.

154 people have already passed away in Georgia and that number is sadly increasing. They are way behind on measures to mitigate.

4 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Goddamnit, you motherfuckers quoting EMA makes having her on ignore useless. 

C'mon, you know it's a guiltly pleasure.  

I have GRHorn on ignore, but sometimes it's fun seeing his idiocy on full display.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, horn4life said:

He’s lying 

4 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Goddamnit, you motherfuckers quoting EMA makes having her on ignore useless. 

Though i get it, there are people in this world who believe the shit he believes. They vote for Trump and would probably vote for worse (is such a thing even possible?). I work under the philosophy that they need to be challenged at every turn so to limit the spread of their ideas to others who would not challenge it. Ignoring it only insulates you from the disinformation but others who are reading his BS and not as involved as we are, may take it as truth if not challenged. Trump is a result of not fully challenging his ideas/philosophy (lulz) and letting him be a carnival show barker for entertainment. 

The first rule of Covid Governor's Club is that when you find out asymptomatic people can transmit the virus two months after every other governor, you do not talk about that you just found out asymptomatic people can transmit the virus two months after every other governor.  

16 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

It is ridiculous to say Trump should have seen this coming sooner when 99% of America wasn't seeing it coming sooner either.

Please review these in order these links in order......

How things worked in the previous administration:

Trump screwed this up years ago:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-fire-pandemic-team/

And admitted to it:

The experts knew this would happen because of Trump's actions:

The Dems were concerned, Trump wasn't:

The GOP knew:

https://twitter.com/alexwagner/status/1240616287602118656

• Like 4

On 3/31/2020 at 9:56 AM, EMAWesome said:

https://twitter.com/JoyAnnReid/status/1244744904523370496

So my Tiger King binge was interrupted by a text saying the CEO of MyPillow is now part of the presidential briefings on COVID19 ... please tell me this is a prank.

Excuse me, don't you have a job working as a news anchor on a national news network during the biggest crisis this country has faced since at least 9-11?  Why are you watching Tiger King instead of covering, or at least watching, a news conference given by the President of the United States of America concerning the latest information regarding this crisis?

Yeah I'm pretty sure one can learn as much about covid-19 from watching Tiger King as you can watching the president ramble incoherently about it with his pillow buddy.  

There's no reason for any press outside of his cheerleader networks to be at Trump's new replacement rallies.