Media Bias Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

7 hours ago, DixonHur said:

C'mon, you know it's a guiltly pleasure.  

I have GRHorn on ignore, but sometimes it's fun seeing his idiocy on full display.

He is like some weirdo approaching you in public and asking you if "you like bopping your bologna." You don't engage the freak, you just walk away.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

Is Tucker in a Most Annoying Laugh competition with Maddow, cuz WTF is going on @ 00:30? Anywho, as usual with the standard horseshit you post here, and gratefully, you don't have to watch past the first attempt at a point before the bullshit detectors start blinking red. In this case, immediately after Tucker's fairy godmother laugh, he performs the standard cherry-pick of a quote, stripping away context, which in this case, is the very next sentence of the article. Together, it reads:

"In January and early February, when the virus ravaged China and doubts grew about how forthcoming Chinese officials were being, some pundits on the right warned that the country couldn’t be trusted to contain the outbreak or share accurate information about where it originated.

Starting in late January, Tucker Carlson’s prime-time Fox News show became an early outlier in conservative media, sounding the alarm about a “mysterious” sickness spreading in Wuhan, China, that had killed about two dozen people."

Not sure how the NYT pointing out Tucker was an exception in the conservative media gets Tucker "this close" to belting out Bippidi-Boppidi-Boo, but I'm sure you'll return to address that as you usually do.

32 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Is Tucker in a Most Annoying Laugh competition with Maddow, cuz WTF is going on @ 00:30? Anywho, as usual with the standard horseshit you post here, and gratefully, you don't have to watch past the first attempt at a point before the bullshit detectors start blinking red. In this case, immediately after Tucker's fairy godmother laugh, he performs the standard cherry-pick of a quote, stripping away context, which in this case, is the very next sentence of the article. Together, it reads:

"In January and early February, when the virus ravaged China and doubts grew about how forthcoming Chinese officials were being, some pundits on the right warned that the country couldn’t be trusted to contain the outbreak or share accurate information about where it originated.

Starting in late January, Tucker Carlson’s prime-time Fox News show became an early outlier in conservative media, sounding the alarm about a “mysterious” sickness spreading in Wuhan, China, that had killed about two dozen people."

Not sure how the NYT pointing out Tucker was an exception in the conservative media gets Tucker "this close" to belting out Bippidi-Boppidi-Boo, but I'm sure you'll return to address that as you usually do.

I'm not sure what you're saying. The NY Times is accusing Tucker et al of telling the truth. Meanwhile, the Times and others lied and race baited. Tucker gives examples of this.

Of course "conservative media" said Corona could not be contained and China was not to be trusted. Those are both VERY, VERY TRUE. The Times is 100% right, they're just deranged.

• Like 2

They're not "accusing" him of telling the truth. They're saying he was the exception, the "outlier", in the conservative media that accurately conveyed the seriousness of this outbreak. Posters on this site remarked on it at the time- that he seemed to have left the reservation when most of his conservative media colleagues were on the hoax/no worse than the flu train or as the article points out a few sentences later-

"Some of Mr. Carlson’s Fox colleagues were less convinced of the threat. “Do I look nervous? No. I’m not afraid of this coronavirus at all,” Jesse Watters, a co-host of “The Five,” said on Jan. 30 as he teased another host for “shaking in his shoes.”

In the video clip EMAW posted, Tucker mischaracterizes the solitary line from the NYT article as an unwarranted criticism of him when it wasn't a criticism at all.

Edited by Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand

20 hours ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

They're not "accusing" him of telling the truth. They're saying he was the exception, the "outlier", in the conservative media that accurately conveyed the seriousness of this outbreak. Posters on this site remarked on it at the time- that he seemed to have left the reservation when most of his conservative media colleagues were on the hoax/no worse than the flu train or as the article points out a few sentences later-

"Some of Mr. Carlson’s Fox colleagues were less convinced of the threat. “Do I look nervous? No. I’m not afraid of this coronavirus at all,” Jesse Watters, a co-host of “The Five,” said on Jan. 30 as he teased another host for “shaking in his shoes.”

In the video clip EMAW posted, Tucker mischaracterizes the solitary line from the NYT article as an unwarranted criticism of him when it wasn't a criticism at all.

I went and read the piece. The quotes you are highlighting are listed under the heading "Step One - Blame China".  Jessie Watters not being nervous is simply irrelevant to the author's point, which is that conservative media tried to blame China (because they're racist). Basically, they failed to even make an argument related to racism. The piece is very poorly written. It tries to demonize telling the truth, as Tucker highlights, and as I restated, which is deranrged. Tucker provided two NY Times headlines confirming their emphasis on racism. It is a failed point.

Whether conservative media denied the facts because of Trump or whatever is another argument. That's "Step Two - Play Down The Risks". Tucker shows a NY Times headline from Feb 5 stating "Who says it's not safe to travel to China?". This is a week after Watters made his comment (Which if you know the show isn't to be taken seriously anyway. You do realize they discuss beforehand their positions so that they make sure they have something to argue about, right?) I think lots of media were caught off guard, but if you said there were more in the "conservative press" I would have no argument with that, although again. I don't think they made the argument persuasively though. Citing Limbaugh and Hannity is technically media, but it isn't news reporting. Anyway I don't question the point, but it would have been useful to cite the Times' own lack of concern.

Steps 3 & 4 basically say the media politicized it. Which I have no doubt is true. Especially Limbaugh et al. The NY Times ran a headline "The Road To Hell Was Paved By Evangelicals" and "Let's Call It Trumpvirus".

The bottom line is the Times is attacking conservative media for downplaying the virus. Which, no surprise, it's a hit piece on conservative media. This was reported as news, not opinion.

Given that (Thanks to Tucker's piece) we know the Times did everything that everyone conservative media did, what do you conclude the significance of the article is? What should a person take away from the article?

My own conclusion is that you would not have a fair and balanced understanding of the issues if you did not watch Tucker's story. How would you have known that the NY Times actually did what they are accusing others of doing? You need to watch both sides, or else you develop an extremely warped, evidentially unsupportable viewpoint.

Edited by Thetexashammer
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

Citing Limbaugh and Hannity is technically media, but it isn't news reporting. Anyway I don't question the point, but it would have been useful to cite the Times' own lack of concern.

I agree with your earlier point it was a poorly written article, but this isn't the Poorly Written Article thread, or even News Bias thread, it's the Media Bias thread. The accusation from the party of Reagan and Trump- the party that successfully championed the repeal of the Fairness Doctrine- that the media is bias towards the left is decades-long conservative orthodoxy. It's the reason this thread exists in a country where Fox News is America's #1 source for news. Pointing out that articles from supposedly left-biased institutions like the NYT often echoed that of Fox News is just more evidence that notion is false.

Edited by Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand

Oh Jesus Christ these fuckers can't make up their minds.  They've gone from Trump understated the impact of this to he knew the death total would be less than the models predicted all along.

Chris Hayes
@chrislhayes
The most cynical interpretation of all this is they rolled out the model showing 100k deaths after they knew it would be less than that so they could anchor everyone to that # and take a vicotry lap when "only" tens of thousands died.

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

I don't agree with his interpretation (the cynical version). IMO, the nonscientists got lucky when many people actually did stay inside and practiced mitigation. And Trump owes Governor Newsome and Governor Inslee a boon, because they led the way on good practices. If the one year mark is when the first case was diagnosed stateside, that would be January 19, so we'll see what the cfr is then.

On 4/9/2020 at 9:16 PM, Dbeasy said:

This may have already been posted in here, but can folks comment and/or verify that these sources do truly attempt to identify media bias?

https://www.allsides.com/unbiased-balanced-news

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/

I can vouch for mbfc. From what I've seen, it's very fair. Allsides is pretty worthless. 

In my arguments with trumptards online, I've "learned" that "all fact check websites are liberal." So the cons have set up a neat system where they get to say what is and is not fake news, and they're impervious to being fact checked. I guess right wingers are too lazy or dumb to make their own fact check site. 

Edited by Hookah Horns

The irony there, of course, is that Rubin is the token conservative at those outlets.

From a civil liberties standpoint, I like a lot of what Turley writes and advocates.  But the further he strays into politics, the worse he gets.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Why the comparison of NYT reporting lag time of sexual assault allegations between a SC nominee and a Democratic presidential nominee? Why not compare NYT lag times of sexual assault allegations between the Democratic presidential nominee and the GOP presidential nominee? I haven't made an exhaustive search, but I can't find any NYT reporting on the 2 sworn corroborating affidavits claiming Trump raped and threatened the life of a 13 year old girl at one of Epstein's parties, so the lag time on that clock might still be ticking. If they have, when was it? I did note earlier in this thread that CNBC reported that there have been no allegations from any women of sexual misconduct levelled at Bill Clinton or Donald Trump in connection with Epstein. That's objectively false.

I'm not a huge fan of the way the Kav hearings played out.

That said, because Supreme Court Justice confirmation hearings lead to a Senate vote in a matter of days or weeks, the timeframe for reporting is a little different from a presidential candidate many months away from the election.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Why the comparison of NYT reporting lag time of sexual assault allegations between a SC nominee and a Democratic presidential nominee?

Because it's relevant and it fits. Why wouldn't we make that comparison?

Why not compare NYT lag times of sexual assault allegations between the Democratic presidential nominee and the GOP presidential nominee? I haven't made an exhaustive search, but I can't find any NYT reporting on the 2 sworn corroborating affidavits claiming Trump raped and threatened the life of a 13 year old girl at one of Epstein's parties, so the lag time on that clock might still be ticking.

NYT had a piece on E. Jean Carroll's accusation the exact same day they were revealed
NYT was the first out of the gate the accusations from Jessica Leeds and Rachel Crooks

And I would be very surprised if the Trump campaign could just call NYT and tell them to remove parts of stories, as the Biden campaign successfully did for the Reade piece.

Hey weird, turns out that MSNBC and NYT both might have been wrong in saying that the statute of limitations is up.

Surly Lawyers, please double-check my work.

(a) Time limitations. —
(1) A prosecution for the following crimes may be commenced at any time:
(G) first degree sexual abuse (§ 22-3002);
(H) second degree sexual abuse (§ 22-3003);
(I) third degree sexual abuse (§ 22-3004);
(J) fourth degree sexual abuse (§ 22-3005);

Would be yet another interesting move by mainstream liberal media.

14 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Because it's relevant and it fits. Why wouldn't we make that comparison?

Because, in addition to TwiceHorn's point, there are better apples to apples comparisons to be made. I only got a glimpse of the 2 links before the subscription request, but I take it you can't find the NYT reporting on the most egregious allegations, corroborated, and given under penalty of perjury against Trump. Hell, there could be legitimate reasons for that.

You're in the Media Bias thread- a narrative spun by the right for decades that the media is biased against conservatives. We could go one for one from here to eternity pointing out alleged bias that favored one side or another. That's called a wash.

15 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

I only got a glimpse of the 2 links before the subscription request, but I take it you can't find the NYT reporting on the most egregious allegations, corroborated, and given under penalty of perjury against Trump.

You provided basically zero searchable details as to what you're talking about. Who were the accusers? When was the lawsuit? I'm not saying it isn't real, I just can't find what I have no information are.

Is it this? (And before you freak out i just Googled "Trump rape affidavit" and this was the first link.)

We could go one for one from here to eternity pointing out alleged bias that favored one side or another. That's called a wash.

If the concept of analyzing media bias bothers you, why are you in the media bias thread?

42 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

You provided basically zero searchable details as to what you're talking about. Who were the accusers? When was the lawsuit? I'm not saying it isn't real, I just can't find what I have no information are.

Is it this? (And before you freak out i just Googled "Trump rape affidavit" and this was the first link.)

Yes. That is it. Do you find it curious that in a world where the media supposedly favors the left you encountered some difficulty finding a story alleging the president raped a kid? I can't find any evidence the NYT has reported on it at all, and again, there might be valid reasons for it, but the onus of showing left-leaning media bias is on the accuser. Here's a brief Newsweek piece on the subject involving AMI- parent company of the publication broke the Monica Lewinsky story that led to Clinton's impeachment, that broke the story that ended John Edwards' campaign, that ended Gary Hart's campaign and that conspired with Trump to quash the Stormy Daniels story.

https://www.newsweek.com/trump-teen-rape-allegation-national-enquirer-ronan-farrow-jane-doe-1465652

1 minute ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Yes. That is it. Do you find it curious that in a world where the media supposedly favors the left you encountered some difficulty finding a story alleging the president raped a kid?

Well I wasn't given very specific information to search for, which makes searches difficult. You kept talking about under oath, sworn testimony and I don't see anything to confirm that in the Snopes or Vox articles I saw. I see a civil suit that was thrown out a couple of times.

Do I think Donald Trump and Jeffrey Epstein were rape pals? 100% Not a shred of doubt in my mind.

I can't find any evidence the NYT has reported on it at all, and again, there might be valid reasons for it, but the onus of showing left-leaning media bias is on the accuser.

The way mass liberal media has rolled out the Reade accusation, and the NYT just took something out the Biden campaign asked them to, is very indicative of media bias.

I think mass liberal media wants Trump out and will just naturally bias towards trying to make sure that happens.

Yeah, I didn't expect you to easily find the story. I know liberal pundits who were completely unaware of the allegations. CNBC, in a best case scenario, was unaware. That's the point. In a media world that was as liberally biased as the right has made it out to be, EVERYONE would know about these allegations. It would be as common of knowledge as birther allegations.

Not sure if this will work. Pdf of the 2 affidavits. https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5e960a83775b2/Johnson_TrumpEpstein_Lawsuit.pdf

Interesting new tactic to break news on fox, then reference other news outlets covering the story to launder its credibility.

30% of the population believes the trump admin line that it was created by a lab in china, who woulda guessed that's the same size as trump's base?

3 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Interesting new tactic to break news on fox, then reference other news outlets covering the story to launder its credibility.

30% of the population believes the trump admin line that it was created by a lab in china, who woulda guessed that's the same size as trump's base?

They were even pimping the lab conspiracy on the local Fox station in DFW, this morning.  So the affiliates are aligned. 

11 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Yeah, I don't think EMAW understood what he was posting.  Shocker.

Funny thing I noticed listening to NPR in the car yesterday.

In reporting a story in which Trump figures, the first time they mention him, it's "President Trump."  Thereafter, it's "Trump," and it may be me, but it sounds kind of pejorative.

I think or think I remember that media usually continues to say "President X" with presidents more deserving of the title (which means the prior 44).

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

In reporting a story in which Trump figures, the first time they mention him, it's "President Trump."  Thereafter, it's "Trump," and it may be me, but it sounds kind of pejorative.

I think or think I remember that media usually continues to say "President X" with presidents more deserving of the title (which means the prior 44).

Good.  I'd be referring to him strictly as The Dotard.

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

cnn loves to drop in the occasional “mr trump”, and i don’t have a problem with that.