Media Bias Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

On 2/2/2019 at 10:04 AM, David Dennison said:

When the grid does get hacked and part of it actually does go down, the freakout is going to be something to behold.

That shit has manual redundancy up the ass. I wouldn't worry about cyber attacks ass much as kinetic attacks on the grid. The cyber attacks on the grid fear mongering is overblown and I say this as someone that made a lot of money raking in DHS dollars by securing the grid. The cybersecurity posture of the grid is definitely craptastic and cause for concern but the manual redundancy is a huge safety net.

Now having sat in a bunch of physical security meetings, I developed an overwhelming urge to get a "bug out plan" and get off the grid. The weak links on the physical side of the grid will induce panic attacks if you ever learn about them.

18 minutes ago, F250 said:

That shit has manual redundancy up the ass. I wouldn't worry about cyber attacks ass much as kinetic attacks on the grid. The cyber attacks on the grid fear mongering is overblown and I say this as someone that made a lot of money raking in DHS dollars by securing the grid. The cybersecurity posture of the grid is definitely craptastic and cause for concern but the manual redundancy is a huge safety net.

Now having sat in a bunch of physical security meetings, I developed an overwhelming urge to get a "bug out plan" and get off the grid. The weak links on the physical side of the grid will induce panic attacks if you ever learn about them.

Well I felt better at first, but now, not so much.

• Like 1

Here is an article regarding the cyber attack sensationalism that has been going around for the past several years. Anyone that is really interested in this topic should follow Robert M. Lee on Twitter. I don't think there is anyone out there that has a better handle on the current situation.

https://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying/lobbyist-profiles/341363-cybersecurity-expert-fights-for-realism

Congress should tackle Media reform. Create two classes. News and Entertainment News. 

To be classified as news you are not allowed to post or print any opinion based reporting. Only facts and referenced sources. All others would simply have to identify as “for entertainment purposes only” on all of their media. Sure the news group would be boring, but people could trust that the highest standards of journalism were being used with oversight. This would clear the way for the social media platforms to monitor and identify fake news as only few would qualify for “News” certification. 

The other group would carry on as they do today and people can choose their crap accordingly.  

What could possibly go wrong

Reminder: The President of The United States routinely lies about even the most basic and easily verifiable facts. He would label a calculator fake news if it didn’t validate his belief that 2+2=potato.

So it turns our Lara Logan is hot, smart, and likes to fuck. Who knew? Well I made up the last part but I'm pretty sure it's true.

https://www.mediaite.com/online/cbss-lara-logan-calls-media-mostly-liberal-in-scorched-earth-interview-im-committing-professional-suicide/

"In a recent interview, former longtime CBS News Foreign Correspondent Lara Logan critiqued the international “liberal” media while holding up outlets like Breitbart and Fox News as the opposite side of the coin. Logan spoke to retired Navy SEAL Mike Ritland about a variety of topics on Friday for his Mike Drop podcast (h/t Breitbart), and the conversation eventually turned toward her agreement with Ritland that “the media everywhere is mostly liberal, not just the U.S.” As Logan lamented that voter registration among journalists shows that the media is out of balance, she came with a metaphor to explain how she believes the press is tinged by the sameness of opinion.

“Visually, anyone who’s ever been to Israel and been to the Wailing Wall has seen that the women have this tiny little spot in front of the wall to pray, and the rest of the wall is for the men. To me, that’s a great representation of the American media, is that in this tiny little corner where the women pray you’ve got Breitbart and Fox News and a few others, and from there on, you have CBS, ABC, NBC, Huffington Post, Politico, whatever, right? All of them.

And that’s a problem for me, because even if it was reversed, if it was vastly mostly on the right, that would also be a problem for me. My experience has been that the more opinions you have, the more ways that you look at everything in life.”

Logan continued by saying President Donald Trump‘s press coverage is a case in point of how the media produces a “distortion” by boiling things down so that “there’s no grey. It’s all one way.”

“If it doesn’t match real life,” Logan said, “something’s wrong.”

The conversation went on with Logan citing recent comments from former New York Times executive editor Jill Abramson, saying the media has “abandoned our pretense or at least the effort to be objective.”

As she argued that media sources on the left and right regularly push their preferred narratives and “do terrible things,” Logan determined that the weight of the liberal media overwhelms “the other side” unless people actively seek outlets like Breitbart."

16 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

So it turns our Lara Logan is hot, smart, and likes to fuck. Who knew? Well I made up the last part but I'm pretty sure it's true.

https://www.mediaite.com/online/cbss-lara-logan-calls-media-mostly-liberal-in-scorched-earth-interview-im-committing-professional-suicide/

"In a recent interview, former longtime CBS News Foreign Correspondent Lara Logan critiqued the international “liberal” media while holding up outlets like Breitbart and Fox News as the opposite side of the coin. Logan spoke to retired Navy SEAL Mike Ritland about a variety of topics on Friday for his Mike Drop podcast (h/t Breitbart), and the conversation eventually turned toward her agreement with Ritland that “the media everywhere is mostly liberal, not just the U.S.” As Logan lamented that voter registration among journalists shows that the media is out of balance, she came with a metaphor to explain how she believes the press is tinged by the sameness of opinion.

“Visually, anyone who’s ever been to Israel and been to the Wailing Wall has seen that the women have this tiny little spot in front of the wall to pray, and the rest of the wall is for the men. To me, that’s a great representation of the American media, is that in this tiny little corner where the women pray you’ve got Breitbart and Fox News and a few others, and from there on, you have CBS, ABC, NBC, Huffington Post, Politico, whatever, right? All of them.

And that’s a problem for me, because even if it was reversed, if it was vastly mostly on the right, that would also be a problem for me. My experience has been that the more opinions you have, the more ways that you look at everything in life.”

Logan continued by saying President Donald Trump‘s press coverage is a case in point of how the media produces a “distortion” by boiling things down so that “there’s no grey. It’s all one way.”

“If it doesn’t match real life,” Logan said, “something’s wrong.”

The conversation went on with Logan citing recent comments from former New York Times executive editor Jill Abramson, saying the media has “abandoned our pretense or at least the effort to be objective.”

As she argued that media sources on the left and right regularly push their preferred narratives and “do terrible things,” Logan determined that the weight of the liberal media overwhelms “the other side” unless people actively seek outlets like Breitbart."

if you didn't know:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1381710/Lara-Logan-reveals-terrifying-details-mob-sexual-assault-Egypt.html

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

an opposing point of view = losing their minds.  So afraid the echo chamber may move more towards the middle and away from the radical

what a sad lot

If you actually read, the author addresses that exact concern.

On 2/6/2019 at 7:58 AM, GRHorn said:

Ben Hunt writes a good blog on markets/politics etc for those that are unfamiliar.  

Here’s an interesting tracking tool they’re experimenting with.

https://www.epsilontheory.com/fiat-news-index-november-2018/

Some points from their tracking news in November:

• Going straight to the source with Reuters and Bloomberg continues to looks like a good choice.
  • Whether because of reliance on these and other wire services, or because of its own newsroom standards, the SF Chronicle continues to stand out among print options.
  • If you are reading Fox News, the BBC, NY Times or Washington Post for political news, that news was explained to you more often in November than it would have been in almost any other major news outlet – at levels comparable to those of pure commentary websites.
  • Beware the paradox of science journalism: if climate science coverage over the last month is in any way indicative, it is filled with more explainers and a lower percentage of just-the-facts-ma’am coverage than even some of the most polarizing political topics. 

I also follow Ben Hunt. We've had dinner as he is a colleague of one my closest friends.  Great guy and very smart. 

He also thinks Trump is a monster. 

2 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I also follow Ben Hunt. We've had dinner as he is a colleague of one my closest friends.  Great guy and very smart. 

He also thinks Trump is a monster. 

You know some of the Salient people? 

Yes he puts out great content. We agree on a lot of things. 

41 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

If you know how to think critically at all, it doesn't matter one bit if the news is explained to you.

You may think you’re above it, but the way things are presented to you can definitely affect how you perceive things. Especially if it’s done repeatedly, over time. 

7 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

Now point me to her Tweets showing her concerns about CNN hiring Donna Brazile.

so you didn't bother reading the tweets. 

Brazile was a weekly contributor and political commentator on CNN's The Situation Room and appeared on American Morning and its successor, New Day. She regularly appeared on CNN Tonight with Don Lemon, and was a frequent member of Anderson Cooper's guest panel of political experts on CNN's Election Night Coverage.

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 1

Now point me to her Tweets showing her concerns about CNN hiring Donna Brazile.

Oh hi.

You really need to go back and retake a high school civics class.  Circumstantial evidence is normally not allowed as presentable evidence in a court of law.  This board is more out of touch with reality than the Flat Earth Society.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

This is priceless. 

You have a point. I saw him laughing at the reporter with disabilities. Wonderful sense of humor, this guy. 

And the guy hosting the video.....stop snorting the Adderall. 

But the photo op dramatized something else about the Administration. After members of the press pool got out of vans and headed over to where the President was about to speak, they noticed that Sean Hannity, the Fox News host, was already on location. Unlike them, he hadn’t been confined by the Secret Service, and was mingling with Administration officials, at one point hugging Kirstjen Nielsen, the Secretary of Homeland Security. The pool report noted that Hannity was seen “huddling” with the White House communications director, Bill Shine. After the photo op, Hannity had an exclusive on-air interview with Trump. Politico later reported that it was Hannity’s seventh interview with the President, and Fox’s forty-second. Since then, Trump has given Fox two more. He has granted only ten to the three other main television networks combined, and none to CNN, which he denounces as “fake news.”

Hannity was treated in Texas like a member of the Administration because he virtually is one. The same can be said of Fox’s chairman, Rupert Murdoch. Fox has long been a bane of liberals, but in the past two years many people who watch the network closely, including some Fox alumni, say that it has evolved into something that hasn’t existed before in the United States. Nicole Hemmer, an assistant professor of Presidential studies at the University of Virginia’s Miller Center and the author of “Messengers of the Right,” a history of the conservative media’s impact on American politics, says of Fox, “It’s the closest we’ve come to having state TV.”

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 1

A P.S. to my post on CNN's behavior at the Sanders Town Hall.  After Trump's CPAC speech they had Samantha Vinograd  on to analyze it and of course she compared it to Hitler.  What they didn't tell you is that Vinograd is an advisor for the Biden Institute.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

A P.S. to my post on CNN's behavior at the Sanders Town Hall.  After Trump's CPAC speech they had Samantha Vinograd  on to analyze it and of course she compared it to Hitler.  What they didn't tell you is that Vinograd is an advisor for the Biden Institute.

Circumstantial evidence.

Come back when you have something admissible.