Counterpart (JK Simmons) Season 2

JimmyHoffa

7 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

I hope I get more enlightened this season.  I spent all of last season completely clueless.

I was kind of in the same boat but now that lines have been drawn a little bit more and we know "what side" people are on for the most part it should be fun. 

Based on the preview it looks like "good Howard" is going to find out his loving wife wasn't the person he thought she was. And guessing him dealing with that revelation will have a pretty significant impact on how season 2 plays out. 

Plus more Clare-

img-nazanin-boniadi_141144450699-667x100

On 12/7/2018 at 10:41 AM, thrillhammer said:

How is it they let Clare live again, when she is the one that masterminded the whole attack on the office?  And her husband and father still keep their jobs, and they continue to be married when they are on opposite sides?  I don't get that.  

They are all fucked if what is known gets out. Clare obviously is dead regardless, the father shames his family for not realizing that his wife was from the other world and the king sleeper, his dad is fucked because for the same reason.

The first episode of the new season deals with the new relationship rather well at least what could be coming. 

I thought the first episode was great again, a perfect recap and set up of what is to come. The new chick in the office is going to be an interesting dynamic as she tries and hunts down the mole, little does she know the source of said mole is working right beside her. 

Bad Howard (sorry not doing the prime vs whatever world shit) bringing good Howard's wife back from the hospital and trying to pretend to be the good husband is pretty funny to watch when he knows everything (including that he is the other Howard) but can't tell her because her mind isn't right.

Clare gives 0 fucks. 

I hope the writers don't fuck it up as they could really take the story in the wrong direction. 

I did have one question- Was I suppose to know who the "boss" was that was putting away the computer stuff at the end of the episode? 

I didn't even snap to the fact that there were no scenes from the other side.  

I'm disappointed that we're in for yet another season of Quayle getting duped by his wife.  The way last season ended she was so remorseful and loved her daughter so much I thought maybe she'd work more with him but looks like no, she is 100% loyal to her original side.  Fuck her.  

19 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

I didn't even snap to the fact that there were no scenes from the other side.  

I'm disappointed that we're in for yet another season of Quayle getting duped by his wife.  The way last season ended she was so remorseful and loved her daughter so much I thought maybe she'd work more with him but looks like no, she is 100% loyal to her original side.  Fuck her.  

I wouldn't say 100%, she wouldn't have given him the lead on the courier if she was 100% still with the other side. At some point she is going to choose which side to go with and I think no matter what side she chooses it isn't going to end well for her. 

And props to Quayle for turning down the sex, not sure I would have been that strong. I did have to question his judgement however as you can still not trust her and get a little piece. 

4 hours ago, JimmyHoffa said:

I wouldn't say 100%, she wouldn't have given him the lead on the courier if she was 100% still with the other side. At some point she is going to choose which side to go with and I think no matter what side she chooses it isn't going to end well for her. 

And props to Quayle for turning down the sex, not sure I would have been that strong. I did have to question his judgement however as you can still not trust her and get a little piece. 

they are both miserable cunts and need to have a bullet through their head.  clare was handcuffed in the basement.  she was toast, and her husband lied for her and let her free.  She ought to have a little more gratitude.

So this just occured to me.

The show already established that the 2 worlds were created as part of a cold-war experiment gone wrong.  and I really thought it odd that both sides get their orders from "management' through a television/radio speakerphone in the middle of the room. So this thought just hit.... maybe the reason that management is a speaker/computer in both worlds , is because the experiment is still going on? 

With "management" being scientists from a true unseen Prime world watching their society experiment (which with 2 worlds could be a "control" and the 2nd being the experiment world), and giving disembodied orders to both worlds to keep the experiment going?

Or hell maybe management is the same physical group of people, trying to handle both worlds?

1 hour ago, thrillhammer said:

I think we are getting closer to the answer.  The black dude was the first member of management we've met.  Mira wanting his files, and whenever they turn up, will shed some light on what management is up to.

Plus the McGuffin case.  I wonder if it's another one of those electronic communication devices to allow direct contact with MGT.

One thing we have firmly established. And that is for all of the security, a single entry point, and what are supposed to be competent intelligence organizations. They fucking suck at keeping track of the comings and going’s of anyone going through. Hell, there are fucking people everywhere unaccounted for. 

And I like 97horns take. With so many gaffs by those in-charge. It seems perfectly plausible that the experiment is ongoing. Even more so when you throw in management stating Mira was dead as matter of fact. When she is very much alive and continuing her ways. Something you could believe they would introduce to a test group under observation to see the how and why’s of such a deception. The same with showing the new chick the video of the early years when two people learned of their double. And quickly turned aggressive.

27 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

Bump.

This show is great.  I love it, but I admit that it takes a lot of thought to follow everything that's going on. 

Yeah, I am still a episode behind. Loving it but definitely a show that you have to watch without doing anything else or you will be even more lost than you probably already are.  

On 1/3/2019 at 2:31 PM, Chewbacca said:

This is the one show that I make a point to watch with my undivided attention.  Phone down.  Preferably sober.  That's the only way to understand WTF is going on.  Great show, though.

Agreed. Finally got caught up and watched last night's episode. I like how the story is progressing and glad they finally fixed the most glaring plot hole there are still a lot of confusing moments where I need to press pause and figure out what world and who from what world they are covering but it's getting a little easier. 

Spoiler for those that haven't watched last night-

Spoiler

I am so glad that the secret is finally out as Quayle was so awful it was comical that they hadn't caught him earlier. LOVE that his secretary was the mole along with Clare. So fucking perfect. I also love that Howard and Emily are both with the other world's spouse. Should be interesting to see how that plays out and "good" Howard learns even more about how big of an idiot he has been not knowing his wife was a super spy.  

1 hour ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Agreed. Finally got caught up and watched last night's episode. I like how the story is progressing and glad they finally fixed the most glaring plot hole there are still a lot of confusing moments where I need to press pause and figure out what world and who from what world they are covering but it's getting a little easier. 

Spoiler for those that haven't watched last night-

Reveal hidden contents

I am so glad that the secret is finally out as Quayle was so awful it was comical that they hadn't caught him earlier. LOVE that his secretary was the mole along with Clare. So fucking perfect. I also love that Howard and Emily are both with the other world's spouse. Should be interesting to see how that plays out and "good" Howard learns even more about how big of an idiot he has been not knowing his wife was a super spy.  

Spoiler

His secretary was not a mole until that day. She said she was the secretary's other and just got inserted that morning.

• 3 weeks later...

Shit setting up to go down again. I feel like after last week I finally know whats going on and who and why everyone is where they are. Obviously don't know what's coming but have a hell of a lot better understanding of the show. 

So great. 

And those white sweats on Clare..............

giphy.gif

Edited by JimmyHoffa

• 2 weeks later...

I like this show and still do but,

it was fucking dumb for management of both sides to get in the same room, with their briefcase walkie talkies. Especially given all the painstaking steps they go through to keep themselves insulated. 

Edited by The Dude
Fucking spoiler tags, how do they work

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

I like this show and still do but,

Reveal hidden contents

it was fucking dumb for management of both sides to get in the same room, with their briefcase walkie talkies. Especially given all the painstaking steps they go through to keep themselves insulated. 

I get that but you are forgetting

A. she said if they didnt she was going to cause more issues

B. They wanted to talk to their original leader since he had been locked up for the better part of 25+ years and see if he had made any new progress.

and most importantly,

C. In their minds, she was captured, in chains, locked up, and at least during the meeting... no longer a threat.

The ENTIRE building had been cleared out,  the only folks in the building were Ian, Mira, both sides of Management, and whoever the fk James Cromwell's character is named.

I have enjoyed the show. I thought it was a unique way to address the concept of discovering that you have a twin in a parallel world identical to that of your own. And then being forced to ask yourself how you think you would you react?

Then add in the possibility of actually knowing what would have happened if in fact you did marry a different woman, or did take that other job you were offered, are intriguing concepts to me.

16 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

I get that but you are forgetting

Hide contents

A. she said if they didnt she was going to cause more issues

B. They wanted to talk to their original leader since he had been locked up for the better part of 25+ years and see if he had made any new progress.

and most importantly,

C. In their minds, she was captured, in chains, locked up, and at least during the meeting... no longer a threat.

The ENTIRE building had been cleared out,  the only folks in the building were Ian, Mira, both sides of Management, and whoever the fk James Cromwell's character is named.

ian must really have it bad.  to let mira out is basically a death sentence for the world.  why would he possibly choose that and let mira out? undefeated or not, that's not thinking with your big head.  

i like the idea of badass howard and nadia teaming up.  don't know who they're going to kill.  it's hard to tell who the bad guys are besides mira, spencer, and the rest of their team.  everyone seems complicit - management, mira's dad, clare, quayle, quayle's FIL, the black investigator chick, etc.

On 2/12/2019 at 7:57 AM, thrillhammer said:

ian must really have it bad.  to let mira out is basically a death sentence for the world.  why would he possibly choose that and let mira out? undefeated or not, that's not thinking with your big head.  

i like the idea of badass howard and nadia teaming up.  don't know who they're going to kill.  it's hard to tell who the bad guys are besides mira, spencer, and the rest of their team.  everyone seems complicit - management, mira's dad, clare, quayle, quayle's FIL, the black investigator chick, etc.

I don't have a problem with Mira being in the building I have a problem with Ian being left alone with her. Why not I don't know have 2 or 3 other guards in there that stop him from allowing her to get out. That said I will overlook the awful plot hole because the shit is getting good. 

Clare, Badass Howard, and Nadia tearing shit up I am here for. I hope quayle dies as at this point he is useless as a character on the show. Will be interesting to see how good Howard reacts to his wife now that he knows she was a spy and lied to him for so long. I think good Howard might not be too happy with all that.

On 2/10/2019 at 11:23 PM, HornOnTheBayou said:

"What's his name?" 

"Spencer" 

Wow, fantastic episode. 

So fucking cold. 

9 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

I don't have a problem with Mira being in the building I have a problem with Ian being left alone with her. Why not I don't know have 2 or 3 other guards in there that stop him from allowing her to get out. That said I will overlook the awful plot hole because the shit is getting good. 

Clare, Badass Howard, and Nadia tearing shit up I am here for. I hope quayle dies as at this point he is useless as a character on the show. Will be interesting to see how good Howard reacts to his wife now that he knows she was a spy and lied to him for so long. I think good Howard might not be too happy with all that.

So fucking cold. 

interesting that spy Emily was more interested in soft Howard than spy Howard.  You would think there might be an attraction there, but instead she's the force behind getting good Howard back.  That leaves both the prime versions of Emily and Howard alone and in the cold.  I have a feeling that interacting with their others causes them to both come to grips with the errors of their ways and past and make amends with each other.

1 hour ago, thrillhammer said:

interesting that spy Emily was more interested in soft Howard than spy Howard.  You would think there might be an attraction there, but instead she's the force behind getting good Howard back.  That leaves both the prime versions of Emily and Howard alone and in the cold.  I have a feeling that interacting with their others causes them to both come to grips with the errors of their ways and past and make amends with each other.

Alpha Emily wore the pants in the relationship before the accident and Howard was the unknowing love and support she needed at home to balance her crazy life. She needed and wanted that love and support in her search to regain her memory. 

It will be interesting now that Alpha Howard knows the truth how he handles the fact that "the love of his life" had lied to him for so long and whether or not he takes offense to that. I think the kiss with Prime Emily and the classic "look back" might signal that everything won't be kosher with his actual wife back in the Alpha world.

1 hour ago, AUS-97HORN said:

man, that really felt like a series finale rather than a season finale.

3 major characters  are dead, pretty much every major open issue was closed. and everyone who needed to returned to their correct world.

https://deadline.com/2019/02/counterpart-canceled-2-seasons-no-third-season-starz-shopped-elsewhere-mrc-jk-simmons-1202554359/

Starz has opted not to renew the J.K. Simmons-starring drama Counterpart for a third season. The February 17 Season 2 finale of the sci-fi espionage thriller, from creator/executive producer Justin Marks and executive producer Jordan Horowitz, will be its series finale on Starz. Counterpart producer MRC is currently shopping the show to streaming platforms.