Kirk Herbstreit is a Douche Waffle

Neonmoon

Kirk Herbstreit: Politics overruled Georgia in CFB Playoff

• by Brad Crawford

Nearly three days after the College Football Playoff selection committee's final four reveal, College GameDay analyst Kirk Herbstreit is still dumbfounded as to how two-loss Georgia, after a noteworthy performance against top-ranked Alabama in Atlanta, was excluded from a semifinal berth.

Herbstreit voiced his displeasure during Tuesday's appearance on The Paul Finebaum Show with a long-winded answer as to why the Bulldogs were left out.

OIn summation? Politics played a primary role in Georgia finishing at No. 5, behind Big 12 Conference champion Oklahoma and ahead of Ohio State.

“For the first four years of this I’ve always defended the committee," Herbstreit said Tuesday. "They’ve taken some criticism from some people who didn’t understand what they did. I loved that they were willing to go against the grain the first year in 2014 when Ohio State won 59-0 (against Wisconsin in the Big Ten title game) with a third string quarterback and they bumped Ohio State two spots over both Baylor and TCU and put them into the top four, and they went on to win the national championship.

“In 2016, Ohio State again was in the crosshairs, they lost to Penn State head to head and didn’t even go to Indianapolis and yet they thought Ohio State was a better team they put them into the playoffs that year. Last year, Alabama didn’t make it to Atlanta. They lost in the Iron Bowl, but at the end of the day, they felt Alabama was still a better team, so they put them in using the metrics and their own eyes to say Bama was still a better team, and Bama went on to the national title.

“So we came into this year with that as our backdrop and I bragged on this committee because their willingness to not be like the old school AP voter, or a Coaches’ Poll and we got into this year and I felt for the last five for six weeks that this Georgia team — and I didn’t go to Georgia, I’m not from the SEC — do you know who I’m loyal to? College football. Not the Big Ten, not Ohio State, not Georgia, when it comes to my job, I’m loyal and have a passion to college football and I want to see the four best teams get their chance, because that’s what’s right and that’s what’s fair."

Georgia's double-digit road loss to LSU and falling on the final weekend was ultimately the committee's reasoning for keeping the Bulldogs out.

Herbstreit wasn't a fan of that.

“Now, it’s subjective, everyone is entitled to who they think is the best. I’m not pushing for an agenda. I'm not pushing for Ohio State to make it as a fan," Herbstreit said. "I’m pushing for what’s right and what’s right is how can you watch Georgia be No. 4 and then go out and play the No. 1-ranked team, and not only hang around with them, but control them for much of the game until Jalen Hurts decides to write a Hollywood script and come back and knock off Georgia.

“And now we’re supposed to say Georgia, for that performance, you went from No. 4, you’re going backwards? To me, if anything, they should have gone up to No. 3, not backwards to No. 5. It’s the first time the committee let the politics of the conferences, the Power 5 conferences and their commissioners, and having to face them, they finally let them affect doing the right thing."

Herbstreit pointed to Notre Dame's lack of quality wins as a reason the Irish shouldn't have been viewed as favorably as it was on the final day.

“Who had the toughest strength of schedule? Georgia. Who had the best offensive efficiency? Georgia. Best defensive efficiency? Georgia. Game control? Georgia. Eyeball test? Georgia. What’s left?

“So politics for the first time in five years got the best of the committee.”

Alabama beat Georgia on a neutral field. But Herbie doesn’t think that matters. You see, his eyeball test is better than actual results. As long as Georgia has the best stats and pass the eyeball test. Then they deserve a second chance at a title run. As long as you pass the eyeball test of a few select people, it’s better than wins. 

I can’t wait till the playoff expands and douche waffles like this guy fade into fanboy irrelevance. 

• Like 5

Herbie, Herbie, Herbie... Georgia lost to the two best teams it played... best win was at neutral site against Florida by 19 (of course Mizzou beat Florida at Florida by 21 the following week....)

I'll allow Georgia to make my expanded playoff as the 5th seed... they played Alabama in the play in game and lost... next...

• Like 1

1.  There is zero interest in watching Georgia play (and lose) to Alabama for the third time in 12 months.

2.  Picking Georgia sets a horrible precedent.  Doing so would mean an SEC team would schedule 4 OOC patsies and hope to lose 2 conference games, finish 2nd place, and that gets them into the playoff.  Horrible precedent.  Georgia's OOC schedule this year was embarrassing.

• Like 4

Dear Herbie:

Facts you forgot to mention. Georgia is part of the SEC. ESPN has a $15 BILLION dollar contract with the SEC. ESPN pays your salary. The mightier the SEC appears to be, the more commercial revenue it can generate since it can brag about increased viewership. As revenue increases, you very well may have an incentive clause in your contract which allows you to be paid more depending on how well the network does on broadcasts.

Fact No. 2 ... Let's review Georgia's non-conference games mmkay Punkin? Georgia's mighty non-conference opponents were ...Georgia Tech (we will give you that one because it is a "rivalry game"). But then ... The MIGHTY Governors of Austin Peay ... The Blue Raiders of MIddle Tennessee State ... and finally, That Traditional Powerhouse, the Minutemen of the University of Massachusetts.

Until the SEC champeenship game, Georgia had to only play basically 9 games, since the 3 non-con games were an embarrassment.

Their fate was decided on the field. The fate was decided by cowardly scheduling.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, SDG said:

Hey. Thanks bud. But - OP - 

Also - go back and read the quote that started the clown-make-up thread. It was on October 25th. Herbie claimed atm might not lose a game for the rest of the season. They proceeded to drop their next 2 - on the road in Starkville and then at home against Auburn. 

So yeah, fuck Herbstreit. 

1 hour ago, DaggerHorns said:

When Texas beats Georgia, he’ll shut the fuck up.

Herbstreit needs to die in a couch fire.

No he won't. "Georgia was so jaded by being left out they didn't really care about the Sugar Bowl, that's why they lost". But if they win it'll prove that the committee made a mistake of course. 

UGA has had 2 shots at Bama the past year and they failed both times. Let someone else try. 

Well, Herbie, Herbie, Herbie come and dance with me
Well, I'll teach you every dance from across the sea
Yeah, first we'll hop
Yeah, yeah, yeah, then we'll bop
Yeah, yeah, yeah, then we'll slop, rock and roll, well, do the stroll
Well, Herbie, Herbie, Herbie got my blue suede shoes
A pink carnation and my black slacks too
Well, first we'll hop
Well, baby baby, you won't have to wait
I'll be ready at eight
I keep a-knockin' at your front door
All the cats are hoppin' at the big five-four
Herbie, Herbie, Herbie when we reach the hall
Well, we'll rock around the clock and really have a ball
Yeah, first we'll hop
Yeah, yeah, yeah, then we'll slop, rock and roll, well, do the stroll, yeah!
Well, baby baby, you won't have to wait
I'll be ready at eight
I keep a-knockin' at your front door
All the cats are hoppin' at the big five-four
Jeanie, Jeanie, Jeanie, when we reach the hall
Well, we'll rock around the clock and really have a ball
Well, first we'll hop

herbie:  What rules? We didn't see any rules! Did we, Charlie?
Reality : Wrong, sir! WRONG! Under section 37B of the contract signed by him, it states quite clearly that all offers shall become null and void IF - and you can read it for yourself in this photostatic copy! - "I, the undersigned, shall forfeit all rights, privileges, and licenses herein and herein contained," et cetera, et cetera..."Fax mentis incendium gloria cultum,"[t et cetera, et cetera..."MEMO BIS PUNITOR DELICATUM"!! [It's ALL there! Black and white, clear as crystal! You Played a shit schedule. You lost the conf championship and you can’t beat bama so what makes you think you’ll be beat bama in the playoffs. We have spoken.  so you get... NOTHING!!! YOU LOSE!! GOOD DAY, SIR!!!

Edited by Sgt Hulk
  • Like 3

"Who had the toughest strength of schedule? Georgia."

How is the fuck could anyone say this? Georgia beat Notre Dame in week 2 by 1 point. The same Notre Dame that Herbie is saying is probably undeserving to be in the "playoff". They lost to LSU, a team that couldn't beat aggy. They played 3 junior high teams as well. How could anyone say they had the toughest strength of schedule, with a straight (clown) face? What a fucking toolbag.

App State

Austin Peay

Samford

Middle Tenn

Regular Tenn

UMass

that is 6 ludicrously weak teams right there. They lost to 2 out of the 3 "good" teams that they played. God, I hope we win this game. The amount of revisionist history and excuse making from the Herbie's of the world will be glorious. 

Edited by Sejjr

For what it is worth, I do not think UGA should be in the playoff.

I do like the idea that the SECCG is more than just 1 game and means more when determining advancement to the post season (i.e. the best of the east versus the best of the west.  In a conference with 14 teams but only 8 regular season games... Bama was playing the representative for UGA, Florida, and Kentucky.  UGA was playing the representative for A&M, Miss State, and Bama.).  Having the SECCG as an eliminator makes more sense when looking at the teams represented.

That said: I hate the reasoning from the playoff committee for their decision.  I firmly believe that the thought process is 100% wrong.

1) if you focus on losses determining advancement, then you ruin the future integrity of the regular season.  UGA played 5 ranked opponents.  Notre Dame played 2.  University ADs are not stupid.  If the directive from the playoff committee is to lose as few games as possible, then why is Texas and UGA scheduling to play against each other OOC?  There is no benefit to the added risk.  Why injure a player in a tough game that could come bite the team in the rear further on down he road?

If you count the quality wins but ignore the losses, then you force teams to stack their schedule (college football will start to see more games like UGA vs Texas/Notre Dame/Clemson.  College football scheduling will improve).  A loss is a desperately needed missed opportunity for a quality win.  So it still doesn't help the win total.

2) the playoff committee sees UGA at its worst on the road against a top 10 LSU get abused.  That was an awful game for UGA.  However, Oklahoma tied Army in regulation.  Notre Dame beat Vandy by 5, Ball State by 8, and Pitt by 5.  All at home.  The awful from Notre Dame is worse than the awful from UGA.  Remember... are we explicitly punishing strong scheduling by looking at UGA's lowest moment and rewarding weak scheduling by looking at Notre Dame or Oklahoma's lowest moments?

Again.  I want to win my way into a playoff.  We did it in 2017.  That is the right way to do it.  But I hate the message that the playoff committee is clearly making.   I hate the message that the mainstream media is repeating.

The point of all of this is to reward winning.  But don't reward crappy schedules in the process.  Notre Dame's playoff argument winning 2 good games (you can look at Oklahoma in the same fashion as Notre Dame) versus UGA's 3-2 record in good games does not make me feel very good about the future of the sport and the future of OOC scheduling. 

Edited by meansonny
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

How is the fuck could anyone say this? Georgia beat Notre Dame in week 2 by 1 point. The same Notre Dame that Herbie is saying is probably undeserving to be in the "playoff". They lost to LSU, a team that couldn't beat aggy. They played 3 junior high teams as well. How could anyone say they had the toughest strength of schedule, with a straight (clown) face? What a fucking toolbag.

App State

Austin Peay

Samford

Middle Tenn

Regular Tenn

UMass

that is 6 ludicrously weak teams right there. They lost to 2 out of the 3 "good" teams that they played. God, I hope we win this game. The amount of revisionist history and excuse making from the Herbie's of the world will be glorious. 

Google is displaying results wonkily. I'm not going to make fun of it at your expense but it made me double take as well when I looked up their schedule. Georgia played ND last season - not this. Domers are currently undefeated.

7 minutes ago, meansonny said:

I do like the idea that the SECCG is more than just 1 game and means more when determining advancement to the post season (i.e. the best of the east versus the best of the west.  In a conference with 14 teams but only 8 regular season games... Bama was playing the representative for UGA, Florida, and Kentucky.  UGA was playing the representative for A&M, Miss State, and Bama.)

That said: I hate the reasoning from the playoff committee for their decision.  I firmly believe that the thought process is 100% wrong.

1) if you focus on losses determining advancement, then you ruin the future integrity of the regular season.  UGA played 5 ranked opponents.  Notre Dame played 2.  University ADs are not stupid.  If the directive from the playoff committee is to lose as few games as possible, then why is Texas and UGA scheduling to play against each other OOC?  There is no benefit to the added risk.  Why injure a player in a tough game that could come bite the team in the rear further on down he road?

If you count the quality wins but ignore the losses, then you force teams to stack their schedule (college football will start to see more games like UGA vs Texas/Notre Dame/Clemson.  College football scheduling will improve).  A loss is a desperately needed missed opportunity for a quality win.  So it still doesn't help the win total.

2) the playoff committee sees UGA at its worst on the road against a top 10 LSU get abused.  That was an awful game for UGA.  However, Oklahoma tied Army in regulation.  Notre Dame beat Vandy by 5, Ball State by 8, and Pitt by 5.  All at home.  The awful from Notre Dame is worse than the awful from UGA.  Remember... are we explicitly punishing strong scheduling by looking at UGA's lowest moment and rewarding weak scheduling by looking at Notre Dame or Oklahoma's lowest moments?

Again.  I want to win my way into a playoff.  We did it in 2017.  That is the right way to do it.  But I hate the message that the playoff committee is clearly making.   I hate the message that the mainstream media is repeating.

The point of all of this is to reward winning.  But don't reward crappy schedules in the process.  Notre Dame's playoff argument winning 2 good games (you can look at Oklahoma in the same fashion as Notre Dame) versus UGA's 3-2 record in good games does not make me feel very good about the future of the sport and the future of OOC scheduling. 

You keep talking about schedule strength as if Georgia played a murder's row. You fucking played Austin Peay and Middle Tennessee. That right there is enough to say fuck off, Georgia.

Edited by Sejjr

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Google is displaying results wonkily. I'm not going to make fun of it at your expense but it made me double take as well when I looked up their schedule. Georgia played ND last season - not this. Domers are currently undefeated.

Fuck you are right. Fucking Google. Serves me right anyway. Austin Peay, Middle Tenn and UMASS are legit shitbag teams they played in 2018.

Edited by Sejjr

5 minutes ago, meansonny said:

I do like the idea that the SECCG is more than just 1 game and means more when determining advancement to the post season (i.e. the best of the east versus the best of the west.  In a conference with 14 teams but only 8 regular season games... Bama was playing the representative for UGA, Florida, and Kentucky.  UGA was playing the representative for A&M, Miss State, and Bama.)

Notre Dame is better than you whether you fucking like it or not. They went 12-0 and across the board played a pretty damn stout schedule. There is zero argument ND shouldn't be in the playoff. Fuck out of here.

1 minute ago, Sejjr said:

You keep talking about schedule strength as if Georgia played a murder's row. You fucking played Austin Peay and Samford. That right there is enough to say fuck off, Georgia.

Since when do we rank schedules from worst to toughest.

Come on.  You are better than that.

Everyone knows that a home only school is a cupcake.  It doesn't matter if the cupcake is fcs, fbs, or power 5.  No school worth their salt will schedule a home only game in your stadium unless they suck.  Quit acting like there is a pecking order to crappy teams.

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Notre Dame is better than you whether you fucking like it or not. They went 12-0 and across the board played a pretty damn stout schedule. There is zero argument ND shouldn't be in the playoff. Fuck out of here.

Notre Dame's schedule is very telling.

It tells me to schedule as many 5, 6,7 and 9 loss teams as possible.  Because that is a stout schedule in the big 12's eyes.

• Fuck You 9

11 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

App State

Austin Peay

Samford

Middle Tenn

Regular Tenn

UMass

What sort of crack are you on?

1 minute ago, meansonny said:

Notre Dame's schedule is very telling.

It tells me to schedule as many 5, 6,7 and 9 loss teams as possible.  Because that is a stout schedule in the big 12's eyes.

@Northwestern, Michigan at home and their complete drubbing of Cuse on a neutral site is better than any 3 wins you could try and scrape from the bottom of your schedule. Plus you got ass fucked in Death Valley. 

Heard on the radio today a reporter covering a meeting the conference commissioners are attending.  He says that after all this there's a little more openness on the part of the presidents and conf commissioners to exploring expanding the playoffs, but doesn't think it will be soon.  However, he did say that if UGA had made the playoffs, putting 3 or the p5 on the outside this year, that there would have been more urgency to make changes.

So as an 8-team proponent, I say EABOD playoff committee, you once again blew it and missed a golden opportunity....

Edited by clapclapclap

2 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Heard on the radio today a reporter covering a meeting the conference commissioners are attending.  He says that after all this there's a little more openness on the part of the presidents and conf commissioners to exploring expanding the playoffs, but doesn't think it will be soon.  However, he did say that if UGA had made the playoffs, putting 3 or the p5 on the outside this year, that there would have been more urgency to make changes.

So as an 8-team proponent, I say EABOD playoff committee, you once again blew it and missed a golden opportunity....

ND winning the whole enchilada will be just as good as UGA making the playoff. I promise.

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

@Northwestern, Michigan at home and their complete drubbing of Cuse on a neutral site is better than any 3 wins you could try and scrape from the bottom of your schedule. Plus you got ass fucked in Death Valley. 

Notre Dame beat 10-2 Michigan.

Beat 9-3 Syracuse.

Beat 8-5 northwestern 

I will play along with you.  Let's focus on this.

Who was Notre Dame's next 2 best wins?

2 minutes ago, meansonny said:

Notre Dame beat 10-2 Michigan.

Beat 9-3 Syracuse.

Beat 8-5 northwestern 

I will play along with you.  Let's focus on this.

Who was Notre Dame's next 2 best wins?

Who are your best 3 wins, numbnuts? Also, what's ND's best loss? Oh wait - they didn't have one.

• Like 1

Dude shills for Ohio St. when he can.  Obviously he couldn't do that much this year what with all the wife beating and covering it up and whatnot.  After Ohio St., he's a good little employee and shills for the $EC because of ESPN's contract with them.  There's a reason $EC teams schedule a bunch of FCS pansies each and every year.  Because they can get away with it because the sports media is in their pocket.  Fucking Kentucky whose QB looks like he belongs in Pop Warner has been ranked in the Top 25 all damn year.  Gotta keep those $EC teams in the rankings so when they finally get matched up against a legit $EC team they can boost the SOS so it evens out all the directional schools and Sisters of the Poor Alabama, Georgia, and the rest play.

Fuck Hitler Youth Herbie, fuck those mongoloids from the dark recesses of Ohio, fuck "lets insert politics into all of our sports coverage" ESPN, and fuck this lame ass 4 team playoff where some hacks in a back room decide who gets to go. 

• Like 1

Who are your best 3 wins, numbnuts? Also, what's ND's best loss? Oh wait - they didn't have one.

We can try to have a conversation or not.  No name calling.  No making shit up.  Just posting points and counterpoints and calling it a night. 

Who were Notre Dame's next 2 best wins?

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 3

1 minute ago, meansonny said:

We can try to have a conversation or not.  No name calling.  No making shit up.  Just posting points and counterpoints and calling it a night. 

31 point win @ bowl eligible Wake, 21 points at home over 8-4 Stanford. 

That's 5 super solid wins against 0 losses. 

So, if we're playing you're stupid as dog shit game here, you need to give me 6 wins Georgia had more impressive than those 5, considering you got your ass whipped @LSU.

4 minutes ago, meansonny said:

USC

Stanford

and I would say Pitt. In no particular order.

19 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

This has been covered above. I read the Googles schedule and got all fired up. My bad. I will take the L.

Tito's crack, for the record.

I’m surprised you didn’t bring up their season opening loss to Boise State in the Chick Fil A kickoff classic.

• Haha 1

UGA's five toughest games

Lost to Bama( 13-0 ) neutral field

Beat Florida (9-3)neutral field

Lost @ LSU badly (9-3)

Beat @ Kentucky (9-3)

Beat @ Missouri (8-4)

All of the above are ranked for what it is worth.  

Next 2 best wins (to compare to Notre Dames top 5 wins) would be any mix of @ South Carolina, Auburn, and Georgia Tech.   All of which are 7-5.

31 point win @ bowl eligible Wake, 21 points at home over 8-4 Stanford. 

That's 5 super solid wins against 0 losses. 

So, if we're playing you're stupid as dog shit game here, you need to give me 6 wins Georgia had more impressive than those 5, considering you got your ass whipped @LSU.

I would say these are Georgias best wins. They lost to the other marquee teams in LSU and Bama. Nothing special.

Actually, I feel much, much better about our chances playing them now that I have examined their schedule closer. I know Swift is a real deal running back. But he tee’d off on some shitty teams to get those numbers.

Missouri

Florida

Auburn