Kirk Herbstreit is a Douche Waffle

Neonmoon

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:
Article sums up my feelings about the CFP.  It's taking away from what made/makes college football great. They need to fix it before what little is left is gone for good.

Nah.

The playoff is one of the good things about college football. What's bad is the undue influence the media has over who gets considered for the playoff. Herbstriet is as big a part of the problem as anyone. The SEC gets way too much credit because of clowns like Herbie and his ESPN brethren.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Every other level of college football has it figured out.

Really? NDSU winning 8 of the last 9 FCS championships is figuring it out? They also only have a handful of teams that start the season with even a chance of getting there.

In college, beating your rivals should matter more than the playoffs. Playing cupcake games should rarely happen. Opting opt of playing games, especially bowl games, shouldn't happen.

Winning the CFP should be gravy on top of other things, not in place of other things.

49 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Nah.

The playoff is one of the good things about college football. What's bad is the undue influence the media has over who gets considered for the playoff. Herbstriet is as big a part of the problem as anyone. The SEC gets way too much credit because of clowns like Herbie and his ESPN brethren.

I think the CFP is great for CFB, but they need to expand it to either 8 teams or 16 teams. This 4 team shit is exhausting, and it would be great to see some upsets like in CBB. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I think the CFP is great for CFB, but they need to expand it to either 8 teams or 16 teams. This 4 team shit is exhausting, and it would be great to see some upsets like in CBB. 

3 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Agreed 100%

Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

It needs to expand to at least eight teams and take away the arbitrary way of picking teams. Too much “eye test” involved.

I still think the perfect way is eight teams — all five P5 conference champs get auto bids, then take three at-large teams (mandate one the highest-ranked G5 team) and seed them accordingly. Try to avoid conference rematches in the first round.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

It needs to expand to at least eight teams and take away the arbitrary way of picking teams. Too much “eye test” involved.

I still think the perfect way is eight teams — all five P5 conference champs get auto bids, then take three at-large teams (mandate one the highest-ranked G5 team) and seed them accordingly. Try to avoid conference rematches in the first round.

Agree with this 100%

9 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I'd be fine with 8, but I've argued for years that it ought to be 12 with the top 4 getting a bye.  That way you preserve the importance of late season rivalry games: 11-0 Alabama can't rest people against 8-3 Auburn because Bama has a playoff bye on the line.

If that playoff seems too long, then cut one of the early season cupcake games and all the conference championship games.  And the FCS does several weeks of playoffs and those kids actually need their degrees.

And whichever team is bitching about being left out as #13 probably has 3 losses and can STFU. 

Let's actually find out who's the best team at the end of the year.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, C-Man said:

8 team playoff will happen. 

I don’t think it’s great for college football, but it’ll happen and it’s not as if I’m going to stop watching because of it.

Another 3-4 years of Texas having no chance to even sniff the playoff will. Hell, I missed games this year for the first time since I worked shift work and lacked a DVR.

Anyhow.... Highest G5 auto bid is a bridge too far fore me.

Highest ranking undefeated G5 gets an auto is ok by me. I just don’t want a weird situation where a 1 or 2 loss G5 school gets in over a more deserving 1 loss team that doesn’t get to play in its championship game a la Texas in 2008.

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Really? NDSU winning 8 of the last 9 FCS championships is figuring it out? They also only have a handful of teams that start the season with even a chance of getting there.

In college, beating your rivals should matter more than the playoffs. Playing cupcake games should rarely happen. Opting opt of playing games, especially bowl games, shouldn't happen.

Winning the CFP should be gravy on top of other things, not in place of other things.

Have an expanded playoff or no playoff at all. 

The current half-assed set up sucks.

Just now, Herpa Derpa said:

What if that 3 loss team also had championship level practices after each loss?

If they also had championship level hydration and a certified genius for a coach, then maybe.  But all the certified genius coaches I know lose at least 4 times a year.

21 minutes ago, C-Man said:

That would be an improvement, but I still prefer 16.  Every conference champion plus 6 at-large teams.  Inviting every conference to the tournament would lead to much better competitive and financial balance between the conferences.   The current situation is ridiculous in that the non P5-teams are told they're part of FBS but can't play to win it.  I can't think of any other sport that does that.

10 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Have an expanded playoff or no playoff at all. 

The current half-assed set up sucks.

Bingo, I much preferred the Bowl Match system of old. Yeah there could be question/argument as to what team was best, but the games/matchups were better and different each year.

Conference championships really mattered. Rivalry games really matters.

I get people want a single champion at the end of the season but I hate that is comes at the expense of crappy regular season games and better overall fan enjoyment.

We're about to axe a coach that hasn't lead us to that CFP trophy and reinforce the idea that in order to get there you have to be able to outspend everyone else. It's an arms race that leaves behind much of the enjoyment of what made college football great.

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut

1 hour ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Hell, at least 6 teams with the top 2 getting a bye.  The 7th seed would have much less of a gripe than the 5th seed.  8 team bracket would be ideal IMO.

1 minute ago, Scholz said:

Hell, at least 6 teams with the top 2 getting a bye.  The 7th seed would have much less of a gripe than the 5th seed.  8 team bracket would be ideal IMO.

There we go. I like this scenario, too. Makes a ton of sense. Earn it. It would make the games more high stakes to get the bye week. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

I'd be fine with 8, but I've argued for years that it ought to be 12 with the top 4 getting a bye.  That way you preserve the importance of late season rivalry games: 11-0 Alabama can't rest people against 8-3 Auburn because Bama has a playoff bye on the line.

If that playoff seems too long, then cut one of the early season cupcake games and all the conference championship games.  And the FCS does several weeks of playoffs and those kids actually need their degrees.

And whichever team is bitching about being left out as #13 probably has 3 losses and can STFU. 

Let's actually find out who's the best team at the end of the year.

1 hour ago, Dnaguy said:

I don’t think it’s great for college football, but it’ll happen and it’s not as if I’m going to stop watching because of it.

Another 3-4 years of Texas having no chance to even sniff the playoff will. Hell, I missed games this year for the first time since I worked shift work and lacked a DVR.

Anyhow.... Highest G5 auto bid is a bridge too far fore me.

Highest ranking undefeated G5 gets an auto is ok by me. I just don’t want a weird situation where a 1 or 2 loss G5 school gets in over a more deserving 1 loss team that doesn’t get to play in its championship game a la Texas in 2008.

Texas 2008 would've easily grabbed one of the two or three at-large spots. We were #3 in the final regular-season BCS rankings IIRC. I think throwing a bone to the highest-ranked G5 team throws them a bone. Maybe you say they need to be at least Top 12 in some form of computer-driven rankings or something to be eligible. I'm much more flexible on that end and more rigid (that's what she said) on auto-berths for the five P5 conference champs. It's BS that the conferences don't play the same number of conference games, the schedules aren't remotely comparable and this forced the Big 12 into creating the stupid-ass, extraneous, unnecessary conference championship game to give the committee an additional "data point." Let conferences determine champs how they want and you know when you start season that if you win the league title, you're in! I think it would drive some better early-season matchups between power teams knowing that a loss doesn't derail your championship hopes.

1 hour ago, J.R. Juniors Junior Jr. said:

That would be an improvement, but I still prefer 16.  Every conference champion plus 6 at-large teams.  Inviting every conference to the tournament would lead to much better competitive and financial balance between the conferences.   The current situation is ridiculous in that the non P5-teams are told they're part of FBS but can't play to win it.  I can't think of any other sport that does that.

I like 16, I guess, but that's probably as big as I'd like to see it get.

2 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

And then a 16 team playoff will happen. That was guaranteed from the moment they decided on a 4 team playoff. And every problem the armchair QB's watching at home on tv thought expanding the playoff would solve won't get solved. They'll still be unhappy. 

And then a 16 team playoff will happen. That was guaranteed from the moment they decided on a 4 team playoff. And every problem the armchair QB's watching at home on tv thought expanding the playoff would solve won't get solved. They'll still be unhappy. 
Yep. Personally as I am one, I think it screws over season ticket holders too.

Byes. Not good and doesn't promote equal chances. Same for home games. Seeding matters and will still be screwy.

College is a fans game. True fans.

Nothings perfect. Nothing will be.

Except 2005 was perfect. No rematches for Ohio State. Full of hype and preparation. Teams and fans.

• 4 weeks later...

Herbstreit reacts to Tom Herman's firing, Sarkisian at Texas

by Brad Crawford     2 hours ago

The college football news cycle is spinning wildly on Saturday following the University of Texas' decision to fire head coach Tom Herman, parting ways with the fourth-year coach following the program's bowl win over Colorado. Longhorns athletic director Chris Del Conte released a statement on the decision. Horns247 has learned the Longhorns will soon announce Alabama offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian as Herman's replacement.

ESPN college football analyst Kirk Herbstreit has weighed in on the news out of Austin.

"I think you look at four years of, umm, in Texas' terms, they expect to win 10 or 11 and compete for Big 12 championships and knock on the Playoff's door every year," Herbstreit said Saturday on ESPN. "He averaged out at 8-4. 5-3 in conference play. I'm sure behind closed doors, decision makers have been thinking about this for quite some time. If anything, it's about stability and recruiting and who they're rubbing elbows with.

"They want to be back to being an elite program. It's been 2009 ... think about how long that's been ... since Mack Brown took them to a national championship game when they took on Alabama in the Rose Bowl. I'm just learning this on a a FaceTime here, so I had no idea this was even going down. I was like holy cow. And Sarkisian a done deal? Is that speculation or word on the street?"

Sarkisian, who was a head coach at Washington and USC previously, won the Broyles Award this season as the nation's top assistant with the Crimson Tide.   "I don't know if Sark is going to get this job or not, but you've got to give him a lot of credit for reinventing himself under Nick Saban," Herbstreit said. "If you look at him today vs. where he was, I can see why he'd be a viable candidate for anybody, especially an elite program like Texas. He's the real deal."

https://247sports.com/Article/Texas-Longhorns-Tom-Herman-Kirk-Herbstreit-reaction-Steve-Sarkisian-hired-Alabama-158318363/Amp/?__twitter_impression=true

• 5 months later...
On 1/2/2021 at 4:34 PM, Wally Pryor said:

Herbstreit is an unbridled cunt. 

And even when he's stanky, he can't smell himself.

ESPN's Kirk Herbstreit still can't smell or taste anything 5 months after COVID-19 diagnosis

Kirk Herbstreit tested positive for COVID-19 back in December.

On Tuesday, the ESPN college football analyst delivered a tough update about his battle with the coronavirus.

Herbstreit still can’t smell or taste anything five months later.

“Haven’t tasted a meal since late December,” he tweeted, in part. “After five months … is this my new normal or will taste and smell come back???”

Herbstreit, 51, has been with ESPN for nearly three decades, and plays a huge part in both the network’s college football coverage in general and in “College GameDay.” 

Herbstreit actually had to cover the Ohio State-Clemson semifinal game in the College Football Playoff remotely after contracting the coronavirus.

How common is losing smell, taste with COVID-19?

Outside of the more serious symptoms connected to the coronavirus, a loss of taste and smell is one of the more common side effects of the virus since the pandemic began last year.

According to the Vanderbilt University Medical Center, up to 80% of people who have tested positive for the coronavirus have had “subjective complaints of smell or taste loss.”

The severity of smell and taste loss will differ between individuals — some have lost it completely while others only noticed minor changes — which makes it difficult to determine how widespread this symptom actually is. And, as smell is necessary to actually taste, the two symptoms are often connected, per the report.

It’s also unclear how long those symptoms last after recovering from the virus. Some regain it almost instantly while others, like Herbstreit, take much longer.

About 52% of adults in the United States are fully vaccinated against the coronavirus as of Tuesday night, and about 63% have received at least one dose, according to The New York Times. Vermont has fully vaccinated about 56% of its residents, the No. 1 state in the country, and Mississippi is last at about 27%.

https://sports.yahoo.com/espn-kirk-herbstreit-cant-smell-taste-after-coronavirus-covid19-pandemic-diagnosis-225142935.html

I wonder how long I’d have to go without the ability to taste or smell before I decided to take my own life. If I ever determined it was going to be permanent, I don’t think I could go on.

Maybe Kirk should try dropping acid. LSD enhances all of your senses. Who knows? Perhaps that would be an effective therapy. Or try eating psilocybin mushrooms as long as you’ve lost your sense of taste because they taste pretty awful.

And then listen to Dark Side of the Moon. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I wonder how long I’d have to go without the ability to taste or smell before I decided to take my own life. 

I mean, I’m not saying life without taste or smell would be awesome, but you’d really off yourself and leave your family without a husband/father/son if you were otherwise healthy? Damn.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I wonder how long I’d have to go without the ability to taste or smell before I decided to take my own life. If I ever determined it was going to be permanent, I don’t think I could go on.

Maybe Kirk should try dropping acid. LSD enhances all of your senses. Who knows? Perhaps that would be an effective therapy. Or try eating psilocybin mushrooms as long as you’ve lost your sense of taste because they taste pretty awful.

And then listen to Dark Side of the Moon. 

Just think of the skanks that you could go down on and not bat an eye.

Chefs & Wine Industry people would be fucked... and would have to "pivot".

That said, when my dad said "Food doesn't taste good to me anymore."... it was a sign that he was ready to throw in the towel. We switched over to buying LOTS of cookies so that he would at least eat something.

22 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I mean, I’m not saying life without taste or smell would be awesome, but you’d really off yourself and leave your family without a husband/father/son if you were otherwise healthy? Damn.

Yeah, being from Ohio is a much better reason to off one's self, imo. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Fuck You 1

46 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I’m single, no kids (that I know of). I’m really not sure I could see the point. It’s depressing enough that as I’ve grown older I’ve seen a lot of my favorite restaurants go out of business because the owner died or retired, or change owners or go corporate and turn to shit. And then to add to that an inability to enjoy any food or to cook for anyone else? I’m not sure I could take it. I think I’d rather go blind.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I’m single, no kids (that I know of). I’m really not sure I could see the point. It’s depressing enough that as I’ve grown older I’ve seen a lot of my favorite restaurants go out of business because the owner died or retired, or change owners or go corporate and turn to shit. And then to add to that an inability to enjoy any food or to cook for anyone else? I’m not sure I could take it. I think I’d rather go blind.

image.gif.6c11ff9013bcfa3383e3ad2cea5b66ce.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4