Kirk Herbstreit is a Douche Waffle

Neonmoon

Hits close to home - I recently received a similar invitation, with a picture of someone whose identity is unknown to me and the caption "Lordy, Lordy, Look Who's Forty!" The inside of the card mentioned barbecue, tater salad (/RonWhite), cold beer, and more. The bbq was one thing that made it similar, but the clincher was that no location was mentioned, other than "at the ranch". 

Yessir, I'll be right there. 

Stupid motherfucker.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

If you have to use bbq sauce on brisket, yeah, that's my take.   Hey, you like it, so more power to you.   I'm not mad, just not intrigued at all. 

Fair enough, but it ain’t brisket. That is the point. The origin of southern bbq started in the poorest areas throughout the south. Where creative people (almost exclusively the black communities) took the lowest quality of meats they had access to and through years of experimenting came up with ways of increasing flavor and texture. On almost any football Saturday around my home you will find a number of guys who will set up their small family owned mobile business’ where they sell a very limited supply of their efforts. And no, it doesn’t require a sauce, my fat ass just likes it.

To me brisket is in of itself an entirely  different method of preparing beef then what is found in Georgia and the surrounding states bbq. Simply because when we do a brisket it is always a prime cut to begin with. And if you spend time here, and expose yourself to both the people and their efforts I believe you would view it that way as well.

5 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Hits close to home - I recently received a similar invitation, with a picture of someone whose identity is unknown to me and the caption "Lordy, Lordy, Look Who's Forty!" The inside of the card mentioned barbecue, tater salad (/RonWhite), cold beer, and more. The bbq was one thing that made it similar, but the clincher was that no location was mentioned, other than "at the ranch". 

Yessir, I'll be right there. 

Stupid motherfucker.

I’m sorry your boyfriend has a short dick. Keep the faith, with that glowing personality you should be blowing a new best friend shortly.

11 hours ago, meansonny said:

Since when do we rank schedules from worst to toughest.

Come on.  You are better than that.

Everyone knows that a home only school is a cupcake.  It doesn't matter if the cupcake is fcs, fbs, or power 5.  No school worth their salt will schedule a home only game in your stadium unless they suck.  Quit acting like there is a pecking order to crappy teams.

This is absolutely terrible logic. There is a huge difference between playing 3 teams who each have a 0.1% chance of beating you and playing 3 teams who each have a 10% chance of beating you. With the former you have scheduled a 0.3% chance of losing at least one of the three games while with the latter it's a 27% chance of losing at least one of the games.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 3

Herbstreit is the voice of ESPN/SEC incorporated.  Almost everything he says is being read off a script prepared by ESPN's department of narrative control.    ESPN/SEC Incorporated probably wrote that for Herbstreit and he gladly signed his name on it.   That's his job, after all.

I'm guessing that 'article' means the SEC is upset that their business partners, ESPN, couldn't get 2 SEC teams into the four team, postseason invitational this year.   I see it as ESPN's apology to the SEC, for only excluding 2 P5 conferences, instead of 3.  I'm sure they'll do better next year.

Edited by Monster
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Monster said:

Herbstreit is the voice of ESPN/SEC incorporated.  Almost everything he says is being read off a script prepared by ESPN's department of narrative control.    ESPN/SEC Incorporated probably wrote that for Herbstreit and he gladly signed his name on it.   That's his job, after all.

I'm guessing that 'article' means the SEC is upset that their business partners, ESPN, couldn't get 2 SEC teams into the four team, postseason invitational this year.   I see it as ESPN's apology to the SEC, for only excluding 2 P5 conferences, instead of 3.  I'm sure they'll do better next year.

61b9ef2a5e51957bc461d2a4wfewff83b442f.jp

Edited by Zavala
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, meansonny said:

If this reasoning does not change, the out-of-conference games that UGA has scheduled with Texas and Clemson will not happen. Nor should they because they don't benefit either team.

this is some sec scheduling logic right here.  everything checks out, and i'm glad you're at least copping to it.

-schedule mostly ooc cupcakes

-only play 28% of the other division, and go several years totally missing key opponents

-schedule a 1aa team late in the season, essentially giving everyone a free november bye week

-start cancelling upcoming series with legit p5 teams??

all of the above (along with the alabama's history) ensures that most sec teams will stay high in the polls, which will create "good losses".  anyone else notice how lsu moved up to 3 right before they played bama?  how georgia cemented themselves at 4 right before they played bama?  this is all to ensure that if bama lost, they'd still be in the top 4.  if georgia had held on (up multiple scores and against a backup qb), then they would've made it in, and for the second year in a row, alabama would've made the playoff without winning their conference.

so you already have that nonsense going, which other conferences can't seem to pull off.  now you want to start getting teams in with 2+ losses?  jesus h titty fucking christ, how many exemptions do you guys need?

• Like 8

5 hours ago, meansonny said:

I am not arguing that UGA should be in the playoff.

knock this shit off.  of course you are. 

you were hoping against hope when you watched the selection show that somehow they would turn this shit into a beauty pageant and reward talent and potential over success.  you can't start every post with "the committee got it right, and i'm not arguing georgia should've made it in" then use the next 3-4 paragraphs to contradict this.

it's like when people start sentences with, "no offense."

• Like 4

knock this shit off.  of course you are. 
you were hoping against hope when you watched the selection show that somehow they would turn this shit into a beauty pageant and reward talent and potential over success.  you can't start every post with "the committee got it right, and i'm not arguing georgia should've made it in" then use the next 3-4 paragraphs to contradict this.
it's like when people start sentences with, "no offense."

Bless his heart.
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, meansonny said:

I am not arguing that UGA should be in the playoff. I believe the team should win to advance. However, I am strongly arguing against the logic and explanation of the college football playoff committee. 100% of their determination is based upon losses. The only logical conclusion for any Athletics director of any University is to schedule easier competition because that is not taken into account. College football is worse and will be worse if the college football playoff committee continues this course.

If this reasoning does not change, the out-of-conference games that UGA has scheduled with Texas and Clemson will not happen. Nor should they because they don't benefit either team.

No offense, but go fuck yourself. Go fuck yourself with a cactus. Feel free to ignore my "no offense" part the same way you ignore logic and reason. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, S11 said:

the committee will try to get the “best” teams in as long as you don’t give them blatant reasons to exclude you like getting blown out or losing twice.  UGA will get any benefit of the doubt they can justifiably give.

That is exactly my Point. Don't lose twice. No point in scheduling tougher games because the committee doesn't give a shit.

UGA played at Notre Dame and at Georgia Tech last season.  We play Notre Dame  at home and @ Georgia Tech next season.  When we play you in about 10 years,  we play you, Clemson, and Tech all in the same season

We generally are the best at OOC scheduling from the SEC.  But it is becoming apparent that this type of scheduling is counter-productive.  It only hurts either team.

1 minute ago, meansonny said:

That is exactly my Point. Don't lose twice. No point in scheduling tougher games because the committee doesn't give a shit.

UGA played at Notre Dame and at Georgia Tech last season.  We play Notre Dame  at home and @ Georgia Tech next season.  When we play you in about 10 years,  we play you, Clemson, and Tech all in the same season

We generally are the best at OOC scheduling from the SEC.  But it is becoming apparent that this type of scheduling is counter-productive.  It only hurts either team.

No offense, but fuck Georgia.

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

This is absolutely terrible logic. There is a huge difference between playing 3 teams who each have a 0.1% chance of beating you and playing 3 teams who each have a 10% chance of beating you. With the former you have scheduled a 0.3% chance of losing at least one of the three games while with the latter it's a 27% chance of losing at least one of the games.

That's laughable.

You'd rather focus on the teams with a 10% chance of winning instead of the teams with a 40-60% chance of winning against you.

Rank schedules from the toughest to weakest.  Only people who want to list complaints focus the other way around (because all 130 teams are vulnerable this way).

8 minutes ago, meansonny said:

jesus, i can tell we're getting nowhere, but i'll break it down for you.  losing to an ooc team didn't hurt you.  in fact, you could even say that losing to alabama on its own didn't hurt you, as a 12-0 georgia team is likely 2 and falls to 4 after a close loss in the sec-cg. 

losing to lsu by 20 made it apparent to everyone in the world (except georgia fans, herbstreit, and finebaum) that they would need to beat alabama to make it.  that's a 'good' thing, dude.  oklahoma, ohio st, central florida - nobody else knew (except clemson and bama) that a win would put them in the playoff. 

georgia knew.  georgia had the lead.  georgia coughed it up.  georgia no playoff.

if and when you play a great ooc team early in the season (when everyone else does it) and you happen to lose, you have the entire season to make up for it.  georgia is also in the east, which means it has a great chance to play in the sec-cg to atone for earlier sins.  you beat nd, you're in great shape.  you lose?  you can make up for it.  what you can't do is lose twice.  most teams can't afford to lose once.  ohio st blew the doors off michigan and they couldn't even finish in the top 5 with one loss. 

sec teams have an extra mulligan.  next time, fucking utilize it.

Edited by henrygandorf
i hate typos
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Is there a more shameless attempt to lobby for playoff expansion without mentioning your alma mater would have benefited the most in the playoff era?

If tOSU was in Herbstreit would be 180 about Georgia.

Is this directed at me?

Because I am against playoff expansion for the same reasons I'm in this thread.  It would kill the regular season.  Playoff expansion even moreso than the playoff committee comments this week would water down the entry requirements and strength of schedule would become meaningless.  Fewest losses would be the only requirement.  Everyone would copy Notre Dame and look for the best 6 loss power 5 teams to fill their OOC.

• Fuck You 5

7 hours ago, meansonny said:

I am not arguing that UGA should be in the playoff. I believe the team should win to advance. However, I am strongly arguing against the logic and explanation of the college football playoff committee. 100% of their determination is based upon losses. The only logical conclusion for any Athletics director of any University is to schedule easier competition because that is not taken into account. College football is worse and will be worse if the college football playoff committee continues this course.

It has to be. The conferences are elimination vehicles. There are 120 teams that play completely different schedules. Any statement of fact that one team is better than other is simply an opinion based on nothing.

Had Georgia not had the benefit of avoiding 30% of their conference this conversation never happens. You problem is with how your conference determines their champion. 14 is a dumb idea when it takes a decade to do a home and home. 

You want extra credit on top of the built in advantages you are already granted. 

Two years in a row Georgia got to skip playing Bama in the regular season. If you are not the best team in your conference you are not the best team in the nation. It’s not hard. 

It's pathetic that Alabama had clinched a playoff spot already before playing the first good team on their schedule.  Mighty SEC indeed.

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Hamttx said:

Shit, I’m in a tight spot. Look I was raised on Texas BBQ. But I moved to Georgia when I got out of Texas in 72. And have since developed a long friendship with Larry Sconyers here in Augusta. And man, I love what the guy and his people can do with beef. He has a lunch plate of chopped beef, hash and rice accompanied by some of the finest potato salad that I just simply can’t resist the damn stuff. I even stock a half dozen bottles of his mild sauce in my pantry that can make damn near anything that we have here on the ranch taste better. 

So hate if you want, but if you’re ever out this way I extend the invitation to treat you and your group to lunch to see for yourself.

Bro. 

18 minutes ago, meansonny said:

Because I am against playoff expansion for the same reasons I'm in this thread.  It would kill the regular season.  Playoff expansion even moreso than the playoff committee comments this week would water down the entry requirements and strength of schedule would become meaningless.  Fewest losses would be the only requirement.  Everyone would copy Notre Dame and look for the best 6 loss power 5 teams to fill their OOC.

Bevo caca.  Expansion would not kill the regular season.  It would make it meaningful for more teams, not to mention force the eventual champion to prove it with an additional win.  There is a reason every other football organization in existence doesn't do it this way. 

Edited by idigTexas
OU Sucks
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, meansonny said:

Is this directed at me?

The regular season is dead.  Bama sat at home during your conference title game last year and was awarded with a playoff spot.  Bama was guaranteed a playoff spot this season win or lose their conference.  It really couldn't mean much less.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

No offense, but go fuck yourself. Go fuck yourself with a cactus. Feel free to ignore my "no offense" part the same way you ignore logic and reason. 

Yep. The problem all lies with the bullshit committee making decisions. Wasn't it only 10 members because 3 of them had to recuse themselves since they were directly involved with the schools they were supposed to be picking from for the CFP? 

So 10 people decided the final 4, using whatever language they shit out, rather than a computer system and 61 AP voters.

How could the system improve when going from 61 to 10?

9 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

If you are not the best team in your conference you are not the best team in the nation. It’s not hard. 

I like this. It should be about who might be the best team in the country - not who is undoubedtly in the top 4. 

If you're the consensus 3rd best team in the country, but can't make a case for being the best, I'd rather see a UCF or tOSU that we are unsure about make it instead. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, meansonny said:

Is this directed at me?

Fewest losses would be the only requirement.  Everyone would copy Notre Dame and look for the best 6 loss power 5 teams to fill their OOC.

the majority of your conference is DOING THIS RIGHT NOW.  Kentucky, Mizzo, Aggy, Scar etc.  You run from 30% of your own conference and simply don't play each other and just about every plays an annual FCS team.  Whining about water-downed schedules is asinine coming from you.

5 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

Bevo caca.  Expansion would not kill the regular season.  It would make it meaningful for more teams, not to mention force the eventual champion to prove it with an additional win.  There is a reason every other football organization in existence doesn't do it this way. 

exactly.  It makes the regular season mean something again.  The OOC games?  For fun and seeding.  Everyone plays by the same rules, win your conference and you are in.  The system we have now says 1 loss (unless SEC) and you are basically out.  Tough inter-conference match ups would no longer disqualify the loser from the playoffs in week three. 

Let the conferences determine how best to choose their representative and play as many or as few games as you want.  Make the regular season mean something again, instead of eliminating 110 teams in the first month of the season.

47 minutes ago, meansonny said:

Losing twice was just one of two bad issues for UGA.   The bigger one was getting stomped by 20 in one of the losses.  Had it been two losses by 7 points UGA’s margins vs OU erode considerably.

also SEC and ACC teams only play 8 league games so scheduling 2 out of conference merely brings them level with the three P5 leagues that usually play 9 and schedule one.

Edited by S11

2 hours ago, meansonny said:

That's laughable.

You'd rather focus on the teams with a 10% chance of winning instead of the teams with a 40-60% chance of winning against you.

Rank schedules from the toughest to weakest.  Only people who want to list complaints focus the other way around (because all 130 teams are vulnerable this way).

Please STFU.  The proper analogs to SEC schools/fans not named Alabama is to be found in the CR.  All I will say is that most SEC football teams are born on 3rd Base yet think they hit a triple.