Kirk Herbstreit is a Douche Waffle

Neonmoon

2 hours ago, meansonny said:

Is this directed at me?

Because I am against playoff expansion for the same reasons I'm in this thread.  It would kill the regular season.  Playoff expansion even moreso than the playoff committee comments this week would water down the entry requirements and strength of schedule would become meaningless.  Fewest losses would be the only requirement.  Everyone would copy Notre Dame and look for the best 6 loss power 5 teams to fill their OOC.

Bullshit. An expanded playoff would not do anything to kill the regular season. The only thing that it theoretically adversely effects are some of the Bowl Games but those are already exhibition matches, as they have always been, and you need not look further than the fact that every year more NFL prospects are skipping these "optional" games. A real, true playoff, not this slightly altered version of the BCS, completely changes that. How exactly would the regular season be compromised this year if we had 2 additional teams in the playoff, or 4? 

And you keep pointing to losses being the defining factor for the committee, while you are completely missing the fact that 3 of your 11 wins have absolutely zero weight. Yet you think that somehow proves that EVERYONE should schedule worthless, meaningless games? Furthermore, what good does it do your team to play a team like Austin Peay? What did your team learn from that experience, a 45-0 shutout against a completely overmatched team?

"Strength of Schedule" is an inherently flawed metric, and it is based in subjectivity, just like the selection committee. You are arguing for the subjectivity that fits your particular narrative and decrying the one that does not. 

And Notre Dame does not attempt to schedule the best 6 loss P5 teams to fill their schedule. That is just a stupid comment. These schedules are made years in advance, and Stanford, USC, and FSU were not 6 loss P5 teams at that time. Maybe they are just really good at predicting the future though. They are leprechaun's after all.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, meansonny said:

That is exactly my Point. Don't lose twice. No point in scheduling tougher games because the committee doesn't give a shit.

Except that's only true for teams in the SEC. For every other conference, it clearly matters to the committee, despite the fact that you all have a November bye week and you all play one less conference game than the Big 12 and B1G play, thus accumulating 7 fewer losses as a conference and 14 fewer risks of a loss as a conference. The system is rigged.

We generally are the best at OOC scheduling from the SEC.  But it is becoming apparent that this type of scheduling is counter-productive.  It only hurts either team.

LSU is the best at OOC scheduling in the SEC.

Because I am against playoff expansion for the same reasons I'm in this thread.  It would kill the regular season.

False. The regular season eliminates about 2/3 of the programs' chances at the postseason, but none of those are SEC schools. The rules are different for your conference that hides behind smoke and mirrors. An expanded postseason would allow more teams the possibility of making the playoffs, and the SEC would still have better chances than any other conference because of the way you game the system.

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Hamttx said:

Fair enough, but it ain’t brisket. That is the point. The origin of southern bbq started in the poorest areas throughout the south. Where creative people (almost exclusively the black communities) took the lowest quality of meats they had access to and through years of experimenting came up with ways of increasing flavor and texture. On almost any football Saturday around my home you will find a number of guys who will set up their small family owned mobile business’ where they sell a very limited supply of their efforts. And no, it doesn’t require a sauce, my fat ass just likes it.

To me brisket is in of itself an entirely  different method of preparing beef then what is found in Georgia and the surrounding states bbq. Simply because when we do a brisket it is always a prime cut to begin with. And if you spend time here, and expose yourself to both the people and their efforts I believe you would view it that way as well.

Huh?  Brisket was never a "prime cut."  It was big and tough and full of connective tissue and oddly shaped chunks of fat.  Not unlike skirt steak, it was a bad cut of meat that had to be worked carefully to turn it into something not just edible, but glorious.  It was absolutely poor folks' food.  In recent decades it has skyrocketed in popularity which has driven its price up, but that doesn't change its humble origins.

Other than that, though, I've found interesting places to get local versions of bbq all over the country, and plenty of it was edible and even tasty.  Sounds like you've found a place you like, which is totally cool.

• Like 1

Shit, I’m in a tight spot. Look I was raised on Texas BBQ. But I moved to Georgia when I got out of Texas in 72. And have since developed a long friendship with Larry Sconyers here in Augusta. And man, I love what the guy and his people can do with beef. He has a lunch plate of chopped beef, hash and rice accompanied by some of the finest potato salad that I just simply can’t resist the damn stuff. I even stock a half dozen bottles of his mild sauce in my pantry that can make damn near anything that we have here on the ranch taste better. 
So hate if you want, but if you’re ever out this way I extend the invitation to treat you and your group to lunch to see for yourself.
Well yeah hash. Eat some of that gives you the munchies and you will eat anything. Including sonnys.

8 hours ago, meansonny said:

That is exactly my Point. Don't lose twice. No point in scheduling tougher games because the committee doesn't give a shit.

UGA played at Notre Dame and at Georgia Tech last season.  We play Notre Dame  at home and @ Georgia Tech next season.  When we play you in about 10 years,  we play you, Clemson, and Tech all in the same season

We generally are the best at OOC scheduling from the SEC.  But it is becoming apparent that this type of scheduling is counter-productive.  It only hurts either team.

Que?

17 hours ago, Bluemoon3287 said:

Kirk makes me want to throw up every time I see/hear his lizard yap open.  He has always been and will always be nothing more than a Sperm Burp....what an asshole

12 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

for the record, the plural of douche waffle is douches waffle.

like courts martial or attorneys general.

Sperms Burp?

NEW YORK -- Southeastern Conference commissioner Greg Sankey on Thursday said UCF should look "inward" to address the strength-of-schedule issues that have held back the Knights in the College Football Playoff rankings.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25471482/sec-commissioner-greg-sankey-says-ucf-knights-fix-strength-schedule-issue

38 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

^^^

That's a Catch-22 when no one wants to schedule them under the present beauty contest system.

Boise State has had similar problems in recent years.  They're able to get maybe one P5 per year, but they and UCF would need more than that to beef up their schedules 

Ten conference champs, six at-large teams (how to choose the six, other than beauty contest?). Seed-em and roll for four weeks. Eight games, then four, then two, then one... fifteen games, in all. Still leaves 20-odd "bowl" games for the other hundred-plus losers... maybe even early-round playoff losers.

• Like 1

It is easy to spew shit like that from the high ground. And his basketball analogy was dumb as hell. 

The SEC’s biggest advantage is how they generous they are treated in the polls after a loss. Where as all of you know it is almost impossible for a team that starts the season highly ranked to ever fall out. LSU, aggy, Auburn and Florida sort of hovered around until they picked up a win and jumped right back up into the meat of the top 25. 

Another HUGE advantage is how shills like him rank SEC teams in pre-season polls. SEC homers will says pre-season polls don’t mean anything but that’s a lie. They absolutely correlate to higher rankings at the end of the year. It is harder to climb in the rankings if you don’t start in them. It is also harder to fall in the rankings once you are ranked. That is why you will see 2 & 3 loss teams higher than undefeated teams. The rebuttal is “but but” those 2 losses were to highly ranked teams or most of them were. Oh yes, the arbitrarily and biased ranked pre-season teams. 

Texas benefits from this bias as well. It’s a name school. We get the bias ranking all the time. However, the SEC as a league has established a narrative and obviously backed by ESPN, it’s business partner, that all the teams get this ranking treatment. 

Look up every pre-season ranking and see around 8 SEC teams. The top ones like Alabama are deserving but the real rub is the Miss State, Auburn, Kentucky, Aggy pre-rankings that are high. They buffer the higher ranked teams. If LSU or Bama accidentally lose to the 15th pre-season ranked Miss State team, I mean, they WERE ranked. Can’t drop them too much. LSU only falls from 6 to 10. And so they stay up there as the only 1 loss team. And Miss State loses 6 games, but it doesn’t matter, as they bullhsit pre-season ranking has done its buffer job. 

• Like 3

Any "championship" that relies upon a "committee" of judges to select a few contenders is basically the same as ice skating, diving, and gymnastics.

If the conferences are going to have different numbers of teams, and different numbers of conference games, and no standardization even of OOC opponents, the "championship" is essentially a marketing contest.

• Like 7

It's always been a marketing contest.  A beauty pageant.  There was never supposed to be a significant post-season in D1-A football.  The bowls were created specifically as marketing promotional events.  That's it.  That's the legacy of major college football.

Now, 100 years later, we're trying to shoe-horn it to fit into some "accepted" view of what a major college football postseason and championship should look like.  Which is just impossible, because nobody agrees on what is "acceptable."

I long for the days of the old men in ugly jackets smoking cigars in back rooms and making shady deals.  It was WAY more fun than listening to ol' Cesspool bleating on and on about whatever his corporate overlord has instructed him the narrative should be.  The current post-season sucks, college football is less fun than it was 20 and 30 years ago, and it's only getting worse.

Now get off my lawn.  The End.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 12/7/2018 at 1:06 PM, utee94 said:

It's always been a marketing contest.  A beauty pageant.  There was never supposed to be a significant post-season in D1-A football.  The bowls were created specifically as marketing promotional events.  That's it.  That's the legacy of major college football.

Now, 100 years later, we're trying to shoe-horn it to fit into some "accepted" view of what a major college football postseason and championship should look like.  Which is just impossible, because nobody agrees on what is "acceptable."

I long for the days of the old men in ugly jackets smoking cigars in back rooms and making shady deals.  It was WAY more fun than listening to ol' Cesspool bleating on and on about whatever his corporate overlord has instructed him the narrative should be.  The current post-season sucks, college football is less fun than it was 20 and 30 years ago, and it's only getting worse.

Now get off my lawn.  The End.

Yes.  The oligarchy was much more fun than the monopoly is. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
28 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Someone dug up video of Kirk Herbstreit's first-ever appearance on ESPN; during the Texas vs. Hawai'i game in 1995. Featuring a freshman Ricky Williams crushing the Rainbow Warriors.

I’m thinking we need to play Hawaii again. Home/home. 

35 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

let's get another road game to Hawaii on the schedule for our G5.

Deloss screwed the pooch on this by canceling a game we had at Hawaii in 2000 with only a few months notice.  Think they're still mad about it.

Edited by TxEx84

My small bedroom community outside of Waco had some onerous proprietary cable contract with some shit provider out of Missouri, and we didn’t get ESPN 2, so I remember having to listen to the game on radio, pissed off at missing Rcky’s great game. I don’t think I saw it until someone at the Shag linked the entire game a couple years ago. Man, Todd Christensen was a douche.

UCF should send out request to every SEC school about scheduling them in the future. See how many take them up on it. 
Fuck that noise. UCF needs to concentrate on more important concerns like getting Jack In The Box to come to Central Florida. And Whataburger.

Reading some of the older posts just reminded me of how much Georgia of 2018 was like Cal in 2004. Their arguments mirrored it to a tee, including their best ‘win’ being a loss. They felt they deserved and were entitled to be in some one else’s spot, talked up how they were going to kick ass to show everyone how stupid they are and how right they were. Got embarrassed, and made excuses about being motivated.

15 hours ago, Nivek said:

Reading some of the older posts just reminded me of how much Georgia of 2018 was like Cal in 2004. Their arguments mirrored it to a tee, including their best ‘win’ being a loss. They felt they deserved and were entitled to be in some one else’s spot, talked up how they were going to kick ass to show everyone how stupid they are and how right they were. Got embarrassed, and made excuses about being motivated.

Also, they cried.

On 3/4/2019 at 7:14 PM, MrPhlegm said:
On 3/4/2019 at 4:17 PM, TxEx84 said:
Deloss screwed the pooch on this by canceling a game we had at Hawaii in 2000 with only a few months notice.  Think they're still mad about it.

Pisses me off too. Hawaii has Jack In The Box, bastards. Fuck you DeLoss.

There's also a spot called "Jollibee", (supposedly pretty damn good), but there's one in Las Vegas, it's closer...

• 2 months later...