Tacos

elguapo

• 3 months later...

I'm going to presume everyone already knows about Tacodeli Torchy's (not my favorites, but very popular).

Papalote is really good (Alambres for the win), has multiple locations, and a great lunch special. 

El Chilito is solid and also has multiple locations. 

Rosita's Al Pastor is just fucking great.

1 hour ago, Texas007 said:

I'm going to presume everyone already knows about Tacodeli Torchy's (not my favorites, but very popular).

Papalote is really good (Alambres for the win), has multiple locations, and a great lunch special. 

El Chilito is solid and also has multiple locations. 

Rosita's Al Pastor is just fucking great.

Gotta try Papalote.

FYI, in case anyone didn't notice -- El Chilito on Burnet Road is no more.

how does this thread only have 4 replies?  man.

off the top of my head -

papalote is legit

love tyson's for white people's tacos; they need to make their own tortillas though

not a taco joint, but i am crazy about the barbacoa at leroy and lewis - i get an order there and then grab tortillas at the taco truck next door and make tacos

valentina's 

vasquez on research for big ass old school tacos

rosita's al pastor 

also not just a taco joint but julio's on duval - i get a 1/2 roast chicken, tortillas and some guac and salsa and make tacos

tierra linda inside the gas station at research and fairfield 

been a while but la moreliana meat market on south congress across from expose (edit: looks like it closed :( )

Edited by Jack Straw
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

On 3/23/2019 at 10:12 PM, ztejas said:

I know this is a street taco thread but the Asadero Tacos at Matt's are so fucking good. Had those last time I was in town. 

On 3/27/2019 at 9:59 PM, Larry T. Spider said:

Came here to post this.

By far, the best thing at Matt's. 

For tacos, I like those already mentioned - Tacorrido, Rosita's Al Pastor, Valentina's, Papalote. Surprised no one has mentioned Vera Cruz or El Primo yet.

El Taquito and Taco More on Riverside are actual street taco places. Taquito has an impressive salsa bar. Casa Linda Taqueria inside the gas station at South First and Dittmar also makes some good legit street tacos. I've been wanting to try Pueblo Viejo in the Cosmic Coffee area. 

El Borrego de Oro makes good tacos, but it's a sit down joint and they have Birria so if I go there I'm probably just ordering that. 

Also, I've found that most of the arandas/arandinas joints do in a pinch. They have an excellent and legit spicy jalapeno emulsification salsa. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Papalote slams - started as a street place, now have a couple brick and mortar locations. I love their fried avocado taco. Really like El Chilito for breakfast, though I admit that is pretty whitewashed. Still hard to beat their burritos the morning after drinking, and their coffee is really good.

There are two favorite trailers of mine - the one at the gas station at Mesa/Steck right across from Anderson high, and the one at the SW corner of Cesar Chavez and Pleasant Valley. Believe the latter is cash only.

On 4/12/2019 at 10:25 PM, CooterBrown said:

Vaquero Taquero, a trailer behind the gas station at Duval and 43rd. Best flour and corn tortillas in Austin. Very legit south Texas style, not just good for Austin.

f9a7ff37cb85e9fe227e4029f9194572.jpg

YES! This place is awesome. Always forget its there.

On 4/2/2019 at 4:00 PM, irishtexan said:

By far, the best thing at Matt's. 

For tacos, I like those already mentioned - Tacorrido, Rosita's Al Pastor, Valentina's, Papalote. Surprised no one has mentioned Vera Cruz or El Primo yet.

El Taquito and Taco More on Riverside are actual street taco places. Taquito has an impressive salsa bar. Casa Linda Taqueria inside the gas station at South First and Dittmar also makes some good legit street tacos. I've been wanting to try Pueblo Viejo in the Cosmic Coffee area. 

El Borrego de Oro makes good tacos, but it's a sit down joint and they have Birria so if I go there I'm probably just ordering that. 

Also, I've found that most of the arandas/arandinas joints do in a pinch. They have an excellent and legit spicy jalapeno emulsification salsa. 

I went to El Primo recently; good taco but it took a long time for them to make it.  I don't understand why it would take so long to make a bacon egg and cheese taco.  I won't go back.  Veracruz is solid, especially their quesadilla.

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Expect a similar menu to the food truck’s, with al pastor, carne asada, and nopales, as well as quesadillas and breakfast tacos like machaca/eggs, etc., all made from its trompo and grill, served on handmade tortillas.

I'm in.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Stopped in at Vazquez (183 just west of Burnet) today for some tacos -- got migas & al pastor.

Slammed, went hard, shoulder checked and kicked ass.  It might not be the best taqueria in town, but it's gotta be up there.  Great thin red salsa for topping, too.

On 8/10/2019 at 3:28 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Stopped in at Vazquez (183 just west of Burnet) today for some tacos -- got migas & al pastor.

Slammed, went hard, shoulder checked and kicked ass.  It might not be the best taqueria in town, but it's gotta be up there.  Great thin red salsa for topping, too.

Yup that's a block away from where I grew up and where my parents still live (across 183, back behind Playland skating rink).  We hit it regularly when visiting my folks or dropping the kids off for grandparent time.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/10/2019 at 3:28 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Nobody agrees with me, and it’s hard to discern “best”...but that’s my favorite in Austin. In the late 00s, my office was at Shoal Creek and the 183 frontage, so Vasquez was on the way and for my call in breakfast tacos I just ordered using my name.

1 hour ago, VolenteHawk said:

Nobody agrees with me, and it’s hard to discern “best”...but that’s my favorite in Austin. In the late 00s, my office was at Shoal Creek and the 183 frontage, so Vasquez was on the way and for my call in breakfast tacos I just ordered using my name.

So I was just responding to the Dell/food thread right next to this one, and recommended Vazquez on E. Braker.  I've been going there, and to the one on 183/Burnet, for quite some time.  And for some reason never put together that they're two different locations of the same restaurant.  I'm dim that way, I guess.  Anyway, both are very tasty and apparently there's a 3rd location up near Lakeline so I'll have to try that one out too

• 1 year later...

Necro bumping this thread because I went to Sabor Tapatio and got their Jalisco style birria barbacoa tacos and oh my fucking god are they so goddamn good. It’s at Stassney and S Congress. Lightly fried on the outside with a cheese hinge in the middle. Served with a cup of Consome for dipping. Incredible 2e33147075cc629921d7b7b1cba29d09.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

On 9/22/2020 at 12:34 PM, irishtexan said:

Necro bumping this thread because I went to Sabor Tapatio and got their Jalisco style birria barbacoa tacos and oh my fucking god are they so goddamn good. It’s at Stassney and S Congress. Lightly fried on the outside with a cheese hinge in the middle. Served with a cup of Consome for dipping. Incredible 2e33147075cc629921d7b7b1cba29d09.jpg

I don't take real world advice on this board, but I am going to be right near that intersection next week for a meeting.  I am going to make this my lunch spot, I am going to order this exact plate and I am going to take it out behind the trailer and get it pregnant.  Holy fucking shit that looks good.  Pos rep, can't wait to try it next week.  

Yeah, I'm really getting excited for my lunch there next week.  

Gimme some more details---what's the breakdown on the two salsas?  I know the usual green v. red schtick, but break it down for me.  Real slow.  And in spanglish.  

It looks like he put green already on the taco on the right though.  And then was doing red on the left or he used the red one to dress something else off-camera.  I dunno, just looks like green sauce to me on taco right but I can't see photos online for shit.  

They had a "sorry, we are closed" sign on the gate, plus the "Open" neon was turned off.  So I almost drove off in sadness.  But swung back around and there was one guy working the trailer and he was good enough to take my order.  Obviously got the Estilo Jalisco (little disappointed with the consome).  Was gonna just triple up on that, but figured should try one Pastor and then the Chorizo (yes, I am aware that's a breakfast taco traditionally).  Holy shit.  My favorite taco truck now (and I know some gems), though I don't know how often I'll have an excuse to venture that far during Covid. 

Jalisco was phenomenal.  But I gotta tell you...the biggest surprise (maybe because I had hyped up the Jalisco from this thread) was the Chorizo.  They cooked just a tiny bit of egg separately (unlike 50/50 breakfast style) with a little sugary/cilantro smokey char to it, then mix in the chorizo sausage and chop it up skillet crumble style on an absolutely beautiful flour tortilla (they somehow timed it so the tortilla wasn't soggy but still warm, the chorizo was the right amount of greasy, and the sugar/cilantro crisp had just caramalized to a burnt tip).  It was the Tit's Pajamas.  Then had a meeting at Still Whiskey with tastings across the street so I'm gonna by murdering my plumbing in a few minutes.  But it was so worth it.  

Need to hit up this place for breakfast tacos next.  This puts all my little known joints on South First to shame. 

• 2 months later...

What's going on at the Taco Bell at Walsh Tarlton and Bee Caves? All of the branding and signage has been removed and it looks like the interior has been gutted. Because of their exclusive Torchy's was prevented from taking over the old sit down Sonic that was in that center several years back (so I heard).

The taco Bell there is closed forever.  They've been relieved of their legacy lease and something new can move in as soon as January given the aggressive TI repackaging going on right now.  As is the case with Raising Cane's next door, the play is not necessarily a restaurant that would be a big hit with residents of that area, but rather with work crews and domestic workers that operate in the area.  That whole Westwoods strip center is losing tenants rapidly.  I'm guessing it ends up being something geared towards the working man as opposed to the soccer mom