Alex Smith - "Devastating Complications" Re: To His Injury

Wally Pryor

13 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

He ain't announcing shit.  He has $94M reasons not to. 

I believe that that was the total amount of his contract with the Redskins.

Subtract Signing Bonus & 2018 Salary from that amount.

Then subtract Insurance payout if he can't play years 2 through 4 due to career ending injury and that number is MUCH SMALLER than $94M.

What is Smith guaranteed?

Alex Smith is guaranteed $71 million in his contract, which is essentially the first 3½ years. This is divided into a base salary, paid each year, and a $27 million signing bonus, which was received the day he signed his contract. The Redskins hold options on Smith for five years, through the 2022 season.

How does the injury impact the salary cap?

It doesn't. Even if Smith doesn't play a down in 2019, his full salary is still paid and counted against the salary cap, a cap hit of $20.4 million, per Spotrac. The same goes for 2020, with a hit of $21.4 million.

https://www.richmond.com/sports/redskins/answers-to-all-your-alex-smith-salary-cap-questions/article_88854baa-f9c2-11e8-98f6-7fc5894728a6.html

$71M
-27M
-----------
$49M/4 = $12.25M/yr

So... $49M - $12.25M = $36.75M remaining on his contract, NOT $94M.

What's the insurance for the final 3 years? Don't know.

He can also "rehab to come back" for the next year, or two at a nice clip of $12.25M/yr to rehab. Perhaps he chooses to rehab for $12.25M or the Redskins pay in a Flat Fee + Insurance to retire. Who knows?

• 1 month later...

https://mobile.twitter.com/NBCSWizards/status/1087444029179076608?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fd-3018249633975746453.ampproject.net%2F1903070012530%2Fframe.html

Happened to think about Alex Smith earlier and Googled him.  There's a video in the link and a description of him wearing a massive leg brace.  To me it appears he's still wearing an external fixator. I can't remember how long I had to wear one, but it seems like Smith being in one this long would indicate a comeback is unlikely...Surly Docs, your thoughts?

Edited by SHOOTER12

13 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/NBCSWizards/status/1087444029179076608?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fd-3018249633975746453.ampproject.net%2F1903070012530%2Fframe.html

Happened to think about Alex Smith earlier and Googled him.  There's a video in the link and a description of him wearing a massive leg brace.  To me it appears he's still wearing an external fixator. I can't remember how long I had to wear one, but it seems like Smith being in one this long would indicate a comeback is unlikely...Surly Docs, your thoughts?

You are right. Being in that frame 3 months out is not an encouraging sign. There is still hope to heal and keep the leg, but his prospects for seeing another NFL snap are bad.

edit: that tweet looks like it may be from two months ago, and that would not be a discouraging time still to be in an ex fix.

Edited by Magus Ossis

25 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

You are right. Being in that frame 3 months out is not an encouraging sign. There is still hope to heal and keep the leg, but his prospects for seeing another NFL snap are bad.

edit: that tweet looks like it may be from two months ago, and that would not be a discouraging time still to be in an ex fix.

Would amputation still be a possibility? 

Edited by Rhinotx

43 minutes ago, Rhinotx said:

Would amputation still be a possibility? 

Last resort if infection couldn’t be cleared, or if multiple surgeries to clean out infection necessitated taking out so much as to make the foot not worth keeping. Uncommon this far out but not unimaginable.

Had a guy worked for me back in the day, computer operator. Bought himself a 150 cc motorbike, rode it for a couple of weeks and then went and got a 750cc bike. On his way home from the dealer, he rode into a multi-car wreck  and slid under one of the cars, damn near cut his left leg off. Quacks wanted to take it off, but he insisted on keeping it. Rolled around in a wheelchair for over a year, multiple surgeries, oozing smelly black shit. By the time he finally let them take the leg, his right leg had atrophied so badly from sitting all year that it took another year worth of rehab just to get on crutches and start trying to use the prosthesis. 

44 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Had a guy worked for me back in the day, computer operator. Bought himself a 150 cc motorbike, rode it for a couple of weeks and then went and got a 750cc bike. On his way home from the dealer, he rode into a multi-car wreck  and slid under one of the cars, damn near cut his left leg off. Quacks wanted to take it off, but he insisted on keeping it. Rolled around in a wheelchair for over a year, multiple surgeries, oozing smelly black shit. By the time he finally let them take the leg, his right leg had atrophied so badly from sitting all year that it took another year worth of rehab just to get on crutches and start trying to use the prosthesis. 

Aren't you the guy who say someone get his leg cut off in a grain elevator accident?

1 hour ago, Tex Long said:

I think as human beings we have the innate desire to keep everything we were born with. I know when I had my accident my leg probably should have been taken then. Nonetheless I fought for two and a half years to keep it and while I had not weakened or atrophied as much as the person you related to it did cause a lot of additional rehab and work. Looking back it would have saved me a bunch of money time and misery if I have gone ahead and done it initially, but the stupid human in us has to try sometimes.

27 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Aren't you the guy who say someone get his leg cut off in a grain elevator accident?

Yeah, wife's cousin. Four of us were unloading milo from a hopper trailer that had an auger at the bottom, walls slanted in to the trough where the auger was. Stuff was a little damp, sticking to the walls. Cuz jumped in, kicking the grain off the walls, slipped and fell, auger got his leg and ripped it off before we could stop that thing. Blood just gushing out and nothing to put a belt or rope on. Got with him in the back of a truck, drove 100+ to the hospital. Reckon he was dead before we got out the yard.

6 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Yeah, wife's cousin. Four of us were unloading milo from a hopper trailer that had an auger at the bottom, walls slanted in to the trough where the auger was. Stuff was a little damp, sticking to the walls. Cuz jumped in, kicking the grain off the walls, slipped and fell, auger got his leg and ripped it off before we could stop that thing. Blood just gushing out and nothing to put a belt or rope on. Got with him in the back of a truck, drove 100+ to the hospital. Reckon he was dead before we got out the yard.

Jesus TL, stay the hell away from me, I've only got one left as it is.

Damn though that was horrible about the cousin.

Edited by SHOOTER12

1 minute ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Jesus TL, stay the hell away from me, I've only got one left as it is.

Damn though that was horrible about the cousin.

It was ... Sudden.

Just working, clowning a little - not much, you work farm or ranch and you find out big moving shit is dangerous, whether it's got legs or a starter. Wasn't any "hold my beer, watch this" stuff going on. Errbody hot and tired, end of day, just get this last one unloaded and get it back to the barn and hosed off, and beer-thirty time.

And. Suddenly.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

It was ... Sudden.

Just working, clowning a little - not much, you work farm or ranch and you find out big moving shit is dangerous, whether it's got legs or a starter. Wasn't any "hold my beer, watch this" stuff going on. Errbody hot and tired, end of day, just get this last one unloaded and get it back to the barn and hosed off, and beer-thirty time.

And. Suddenly.

Yes it is always sudden. So many times you hear people talking about when something like that happens, that it happens in slow motion. That is just not the case, and in my situation it was the blink of an eye and it was over.

Edited by SHOOTER12

7 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Yes it is always sudden. So many times you hear people talking about when something like that happens, that it happens in slow motion. That is just not the case oh, and by situation it was the blink of an eye and it was over.

Had it go both ways. The slomo thing is eely as hell... see something coming at you and can't do fuck all to avoid it. 

Some people who would do much better with amputation refuse the procedure. The only time I ever really tried to talk someone into surgery he didn’t want was an above-knee amputation for gas gangrene that would otherwise likely have killed him within the day. On the flip side, there are actually people who hurt so badly that they think they want amputation of a perfectly viable limb.

47 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

Some people who would do much better with amputation refuse the procedure. The only time I ever really tried to talk someone into surgery he didn’t want was an above-knee amputation for gas gangrene that would otherwise likely have killed him within the day. On the flip side, there are actually people who hurt so badly that they think they want amputation of a perfectly viable limb.

Whoa, when I read amputation of a perfectly viable limb...I got a little woozy.

43 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Whoa, when I read amputation of a perfectly viable limb...I got a little woozy.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_integrity_dysphoria

among other items of note, the area they want amputated remains constant over time, and skin response above and below the line of desired amputation is different. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

I’m thinking there’s no way in hell I’m ever going back on a football field, but I just read he’s owed $31M over the next two years, guaranteed, as long as he doesn’t retire. Ok, I get it.

Would I risk life and limb for $31 Million...maybe  ... probably .... I guess .... yes .... In a heartbeat.

2 hours ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Would I risk life and limb for $31 Million...maybe  ... probably .... I guess .... yes .... In a heartbeat.

He may not have to risk anything, he can just report for duty, flunk his physical, and they put him on the PUP list, and they can’t do anything about it. Or, even if he passes his physical and isn’t good enough to win the job, he gets paid. Third option is he’s healed and continues to make a lot of money even after the two years (at his age, highly unlikely). 

The Skins may try to negotiate a settlement, but why would he accept that?

3 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

He may not have to risk anything, he can just report for duty, flunk his physical, and they put him on the PUP list, and they can’t do anything about it. Or, even if he passes his physical and isn’t good enough to win the job, he gets paid. Third option is he’s healed and continues to make a lot of money even after the two years (at his age, highly unlikely). 

The Skins may try to negotiate a settlement, but why would he accept that?

I would not, skins have insurance for a reason. Not the time to "take another one for the team", outside of the locker room he has a family to protect.

• 5 months later...
4 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Damn. Identical, that ain't no fake or Photoshop folks.  Kudos to him and his doctors for being able to save it.  I guarantee it has taken a lot of determination, courage and skill on behalf of all involved.

Just now, Blotto said:

Damn. Just damn. I give the guy credit for even trying to come back on that fucked up looking turkey leg. If he ends up starting a game in the NFL, just go ahead and give him comeback player of the year, regardless of stats.

I hope to God he doesn't try.  Even after he's healed/mostly healed, it will only take the smallest of hiccups to lose it.