Keeping Austin Weird, Condos, T rex and neon signs

crash_davis

Thought this needed it's own thread... - BiH

this perfectly describes one of the biggest issues in Austin.  new money Austin vs some mythical old Austin that some people cling to.

i won't post the comments but they are what you expect.  about 3/4 of the comments supporting the lady's freedom of expression, keep austin weird and 1/4 sympathizing with the dude but saying there's not much he can do about it.  most suggest he talk to lady again.

21bmxs3.jpg

2dagivn.png

Just now, Steamboat1874 said:

The neighbor is pissed because they turned a single family house into a duplex.

Both of them have that right if there are no restrictions.

this address housing shortages.  the city of austin encourages A & B units on single home plots.  i think it's a good idea to help address housing and density.  it's better for the city and community from a density and affordability perspective to build 2 $4-500,000 homes vs a big ass $900,000-$1M home.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Hence the rise of HOA’s. Can’t complain about this if you like to bitch about your HOA.

agree. My HOA is actually pretty good. If anything, they don't enforce the rules we do have enough.

Although, the neon is a bit much. As mentioned above, a pellet gun would solve that problem. So would a lawsuit.

23 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

agree. My HOA is actually pretty good. If anything, they don't enforce the rules we do have enough.

Although, the neon is a bit much. As mentioned above, a pellet gun would solve that problem. So would a lawsuit.

My HOA is the same way. The only rule they've notified me about is having my trash can out....on trash day. I think it was the inspector's first day on the job. Next home we move to hopefully won't be in an HOA. I just want to be able to live without the fear of this group fining me for insignificant things.

21 hours ago, Jimbaround said:

Well, the house is clearly priced too high. The market will decide how much someone wants to pay for the house next to the lights.

Yeah. There only needs to be  one person with 750k that doesn't care about  a neon sign.  I'm guessing they didn't take any lesser offers.  

Or just bribe the lady with a couple g's to keep her crazy locked up until closing time. 

1 hour ago, woohorn said:

Lulz at the undercapitalized brother "developers" who bought a lot that no one else would buy and then complain that no one will buy their new house.

They invested three quarters of a million dollars to put in condos and are upset that they're not gonna get rich. I'm shocked they can't find two people to pay half a million dollars+ for a home that shares a wall with someone else. Shocked I tell you!

• Like 3

They invested three quarters of a million dollars to put in condos and are upset that they're not gonna get rich. I'm shocked they can't find two people to pay half a million dollars+ for a home that shares a wall with someone else. Shocked I tell you!
That's not a problem to find. They just didn't build something that actually would still for that. This is what happens in hot markets. People think they can do this for after watching HGTV and looking at Pinterest.

That said the neighbor is kind of an asshole.

I do not like OU

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

you say this as if you dont watch HGTV and Pinterest.... bullshit, you are married, shes shoved that shit down your throat at least a few times. 

Of course I watch HGTV.  Laughing at those dumbasses is very entertaining!  Pintrest though?  Hmm, not so much.

3 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Neighbor can do whatever the fuck she wants. It's her house. And she was there first. You mean to tell me that these two jamokes built two houses and never at any point noticed the eccentric "keep austin weird" lady? C'mon. 

It's more that she went from eccentric to BATSHIT with an intention of fucking with the dumbass 'developers'.  I'm in general a fan of eccentric, but if someone ever installed neon pink lighting to intentionally shine into one of my projects... well, it would quite a coincidence that some guys showed up in the middle of the night smashed/stole all the neighbors 'art'.

this is a few streets down from me.  for those of you who do not live in crestview, it's pretty damn cool neighborhood.  the neighborhood is "turning" meaning it's an older neighborhood, but on every street there are a few to many new modern homes. there's new construction EVERYWHERE.  new houses are always going up.  some things to know about crestview. 

1. teardowns are going $375K+.  meaning it's rare that buyers buy a $375k house to live in it.  these houses are old and need significant updates.  most of these houses are torn down so that....

2 new builds.  a good many of the tear downs result in A and B units.  as i mentioned earlier, the city encourages the A & B units to increase density and allow for more "affordable" housing.  affordable meaning $300k-$500k for 1x1 up to 3x2.  most all new builds are modern, white with black accent.

3. A and B doesn't always mean you share a wall.  it's about half and half.  some share a wall.  some just share the lot with two separate free standing homes on the lot.  surprisingly, both sell really well.

4. it's a great area with easy access to 183 and mopac.  it's only 6 miles from downtown, but close to the arboretum for shopping and dining.  north burnet area is building out with many new restaurants.  it has all the benefits of south congress and south lamar but without the stupid traffic and gazillions of clueless tourist.  people want to buy here, but i guess this goes for all of austin proper.

5. yard art is very common here.  there are shitton of houses in crestview with giant TRex in the yard.  my neighbor 3 houses down has a TRex.  house on the next street over has a TRex.  house on the main street has pink flamingos covering the yard.  it's austin proper, not the burbs.  

people who are thinking of buying in this neighborhood know what kind of neighborhood it is.  hell just driving through, you are probably going to see a TRex in someone's yard.  it's not about the TRex or the other fucking dinosaur.  the sex shop flood lights are a bit too much.  i would be fucking irate if that were my neighbor but that wouldn't stop me from buying unless...

(this is the issue) there are many other new A and B units with similar price and probably floor plan.  so taken as a whole, prospective buyers may be turned off by this lady's yard because there are other options in the neighborhood where the neighbor doesn't have sex shop lights blaring into the street.  plus the floor plan may be fucked up because someone mentioned on nextdoor that his floorplan and exterior design was stupid.  that may be another issue.

• Like 1

You know what these developers are fucking up old neighborhoods all over Austin and many of these areas are causing people that have lived there for a long time and have paid off their houses to sell and move because their taxes are way more than their house payment ever was.

Fuck those money grabbing assholes.

I suggest everyone in this position to develop the "Keep Austin Weird" idea and put neon and art all over the yards.

More power to them.

Fuck the investors in the dog smelling ass. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Surly Bevo said:

Ha-ha, you fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders, the most famous of which is “Never get involved in a land war in Asia,” but only slightly less well known is this: “Never go in against an Austinite, when property valuation is on the line!”

Inconceivable. 

1 hour ago, Steamboat1874 said:

I suggest everyone in this position to develop the "Keep Austin Weird" idea and put neon and art all over the yards.

More power to them.

You seem to be on the fence on this one.  Pick a side.

• Like 1

I live in Crestview and drive by this house.  I enjoy seeing them, but can understand the annoyance at them being on all night.  She really should put them on a timer and turn them off from midnight to 6am or whatever.  But I love that my neighborhood has shit like this and no one can say a thing to stop it.  Really love the old Minimax sign on St John or Cullen.  All in all, I bet more people are annoyed that he put 2 units on one lot than are annoyed by her neon lights, but both are allowed.  I wouldn’t be surprised if he didn’t give a shit about the neghbor’s views of his project when he was building it, so fuck him.

1 hour ago, Steamboat1874 said:

You know what these developers are fucking up old neighborhoods all over Austin and many of these areas are causing people that have lived there for a long time and have paid off their houses to sell and move because their taxes are way more than their house payment ever was.

More power to them.

this is what i referenced in my op.  drug dealers wouldn't be a problem if there weren't people using and buying their product.  

developers aren't drug dealers but the idea is the same. these new builds are selling as quickly as they are built.  there are a shitton of people looking to buy nice new homes in austin proper  the burbs suck.  i'm one of those people.  i love my new house.  all the develop did was cut out the work and hassle for me. 

i wouldn't feel too sorry for these people being "pushed" out.  their old run down $100k home they bought decades ago is now selling for $400k+.  they can buy a new home in the burbs for cash and not have to worry about a house payment for the rest of their lives.

austin was never going to stay a sleepy jewel that no one knew about.  people want to move here.  higher demand means higher prices.  simple economics.  this is happening everywhere.  it's not unique to austin.

• Like 3

Just because you invest does not mean you should profit.  Crying about it doesn't help and won't gain sympathy, the world is a mean place.  Be better, deal with it.

And the neighbor is an asshole.  Both deserve each other.

I live outside of the city limits, my neighbor has an alcohol problem and a all night shooting issue, and the sheriff could not/will not do anything about it unless there is an accident (stray bullet), nor the HOA.  Talking to the guy is useless because this is America and I can do as I like.  He's dying a slow miserable death so he's got that going for him.  Totally shitty neighbor.

I can relate. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, woohorn said:
39 minutes ago, Underdog said:
Where’d she get the T-Rex?  I want one for my yard. 

Why T-Rex? Is it an Austin thing? Are they just out for Christmas?

from the outside looking in,  you cant understand it. From the inside looking out, you cant explain it.

• Like 3

More power to them.

Developers don't do any of that. Demand does that and we don't control that. Don't be an idiot. God I'd love if I could manufacture demand

I do not like OU

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

More power to them.

The issue is not with the developers but our property tax system it seems. I agree that ridiculous property taxes should never force anyone out of their homes.