LinkedIn holy hell!

markstanco

I click on it every now and again and accept so called friends. I own my business so not to in to it other than a few safety groups.

But got damn, premium is $60 a month???? Do any of yall pay this and has it worked out for you?

Seems like that is super expensive and a waste of money for people not looking for a job and unaffordable for those that are. Am I wrong here?

While Microsoft has improved LinkedIn in many ways after its acquisition, the incessant spamming is just getting worse and worse. 

• I get notifications on my phone of "see what you've missed" - even after disabling every single settings.
  • I still get email to my non-registered address (from linkedin having raped someone else's contact list) asking me to join, with a small disclaimer reading to the tune of "we will continue to use your email unless you register to create an account and turn it off via settings"
  • Their website and app both very frequently and sneakily request to hoover up all your contact list... and I can see tons of people accepting it by accident.  Really predatory stuff.

I'm also not actively looking for employment, nor posting, nor sharing.  Same as facebook - I'm on it out of curiosity, to passively keep up with contacts on the professional side. 

Though it seems to be relentless sharing of weak business articles and lame ass inspirational quotes (no, i dont want to hear quips from Warren Zuckerbranson about employee morale).....might as well yank the plug

7 hours ago, markstanco said:

I click on it every now and again and accept so called friends. I own my business so not to in to it other than a few safety groups.

But got damn, premium is $60 a month???? Do any of yall pay this and has it worked out for you?

Seems like that is super expensive and a waste of money for people not looking for a job and unaffordable for those that are. Am I wrong here?

Pretty sure recruiters and sales people are the only ones paying for premium.  'Wealth managers' using it to contact execs has become the LinkedIn bane of late.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

i hired a few positions using linkedin to get candidates.  i always got good to great candidates from linkedin.  and if you are looking for a job, linkedin is a good job board.   reaching out to contacts sometimes helps you get pass the email/resume filter.  

the spam is tolerable, especially given the benefits above.

Company owner here... I have found most of it is people connecting with me and then sending me a message trying to sell me something.  Anything from tailored clothes to a consultant saying he could get my business running better for a monthly fee just by giving speeches to my employees.  I also get contacted by linkedIn employees asking me to buy premium about once a week.  The only people who put anything on there that even remotely interests me is our accounting firm and that's 100% because they only publish articles on tax implications that might effect our business.

It's about 10x more worthless as its ever been and I thought it was worthless 10 years ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SquishMitten said:

We keep a premium account at our firm for recruiting purposes. We've had a lot of luck in the O&G division, but outside of that it's useless.

Yeah, lots of O&G recruiters on there. And also a lot of "professional solutions" types that I can't really figure out what they do.

2 hours ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Pretty sure recruiters and sales people are the only ones paying for premium.  'Wealth managers' using it to contact execs has become the LinkedIn bane of late.

It definitely has it's place and can be helpful. But like most things it also has it's downsize. I have a good friend that uses it to "cold call" owners and company execs. He doesn't get a ton of traction from it but he did have one guy respond and moved his entire companies' business over to him because of the contact. 

I don't use it that often at all but I know some that use it religiously and have at least some success at starting a relationship, It sure as hell beats having a "cup of coffee" for a lot of people. 

My brother also used it when his company closed shop several years ago in medical sales. He is now a VP of the job he found using it. 

But yes on the flip side the annoying spamming is a little much and over the top.  

40 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

It definitely has it's place and can be helpful. But like most things it also has it's downsize. I have a good friend that uses it to "cold call" owners and company execs. He doesn't get a ton of traction from it but he did have one guy respond and moved his entire companies' business over to him because of the contact. 

I don't use it that often at all but I know some that use it religiously and have at least some success at starting a relationship, It sure as hell beats having a "cup of coffee" for a lot of people. 

My brother also used it when his company closed shop several years ago in medical sales. He is now a VP of the job he found using it. 

But yes on the flip side the annoying spamming is a little much and over the top.  

I had a mineral broker send me a message on there about selling an asset that we had sold a year prior.  I was a dick to him.  He said he couldn't find a way to get in touch with us about it.  He was just being lazy because 1. he obviously saw the company name in the county records and didn't even look up our website,  2. had he looked up the website he would have seen at least 3 ways to contact us, 3. if he would have looked at the website he would have seen that i was 100% the wrong person to contact for that assets based on my position in the company, and 4th, if he looked at the records to see that we owned the asset he could have looked to see that we sold the asset as well.

I have two thoughts on this... 

1. if he really tried and couldn't get in touch with us any other way then I applaud his perseverance.

2. It seems more like this is how millennial spray and pray with sales.  Instead of getting on the phone and making a call or going to visit someone face to face they want to hid behind a keyboard so they can calculate everything they say without having to know their shit inside and out.

Edited by Jhawk
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jhawk said:

Company owner here... I have found most of it is people connecting with me and then sending me a message trying to sell me something.  Anything from tailored clothes to a consultant saying he could get my business running better for a monthly fee just by giving speeches to my employees.  I also get contacted by linkedIn employees asking me to buy premium about once a week.  The only people who put anything on there that even remotely interests me is our accounting firm and that's 100% because they only publish articles on tax implications that might effect our business.

It's about 10x more worthless as its ever been and I thought it was worthless 10 years ago.

Precisely. 

I haven't looked at it in years.

I only use it for informal due diligence on people we may be investing with.   We follow a very simply formula.  See who the person is connected to closely that is questionable based on what we already know about that person.  Take the first person out, pump them full of drinks, ask them about their connection to that person of suspect-ness via open ended questions, then shut the fuck up and listen.  To date, it has saved us a lot of time and money from going down the wrong path. 

I still believe in in-person due diligence, but you can at least cover some mapping ahead of time via their tools.  But yeah, otherwise it's largely a waste of money that I should probably scale back on.  I spend probably an hour or so on it per week, so say 5 hours a a month.  So that's $12/hour . Probably worth the money in most respects.  Considering I have some team members who spend 5 hours a day on facebook pretending to do "research" or background on people, so that's certainly wasting more than $60/month in lost productivity.  

People on all social media platforms post what they want you to know.  What I like about linkedin is that the connection you made to that influential business leader two years ago that you thought would look good on a resume...I know some bad shit about that guy.  And what I now want to know is why you connected with him in the first place.  If it was just because you didn't know any better and wanted to seem part of the game, I get it.  But if you actually had a dealing with him, I am going to find out about it and possibly severe all business ties with you.  We all do it every day in business, somebody just thought to build a website around the idea.  Oh and I guess it's for sharing inspiring quotes to people.  If I could turn off most of the shit in that feed, I'd be very happy. 

12 hours ago, markstanco said:

I click on it every now and again and accept so called friends.

See, this is where you're fucking up. You really only want to link in with people that you see as legitimate industry contacts and former co-workers. This isn't like e.g. Facebook where whoever has the most accepted friends "wins."

And man... I get spammed so much more through other things that LinkedIn doesn't even register.

3 hours ago, Jhawk said:

I think the people trying to sell to you or consult have been calling/emailing/messaging me.  Small world. 

The portal has become annoying AF.

probably. If society today didn’t have an incessant need to see everything online all the time I probably wouldn’t even have a presence. We don’t take outside money, we dont work with brokers in O&G or CRE, and we only transact when our models and cash flow says it’s time. The only Two reasons we have a website is so when you type in the domain of my email you don’t go to a cheese dick godaddy page and so if you want to make sure we are a going concern you can. 

3 hours ago, Jhawk said:

2. It seems more like this is how millennial spray and pray with sales.  Instead of getting on the phone and making a call or going to visit someone face to face they want to hid behind a keyboard so they can calculate everything they say without having to know their shit inside and out.

100% correct. 2018's version of this-

giphy.gif

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jhawk said:

@DigglerontheHoof has some software you need to check out

• Haha 1

Admittedly, I have only looked a Linkedin a few times.

Unless you're self employed....Linkedin looks like a bunch of people panhandling for another job.  

Feel like it paints you in a bad light with your current company.....passive-aggressively floating your resume all over the internets.

But WTF do I know, Get off my lawn.

Edited by Doze

It's how I found my current job. I paid for premium as soon as my job hunt began, then turned it off after accepting the gig. I am in software sales and it's one of the few industries where LinkedIn is beneficial.

Otherwise is sucks outside of aforementioned hot sales & marketing chicks.

On 12/9/2018 at 6:31 AM, Whatever said:

It's how I found my current job. I paid for premium as soon as my job hunt began, then turned it off after accepting the gig. I am in software sales and it's one of the few industries where LinkedIn is beneficial.

Otherwise is sucks outside of aforementioned hot sales & marketing chicks.

Since I'm in software and start-ups, that's the only industry I really "see," and in this industry it's pretty damn important for making and keeping contacts.

On 12/7/2018 at 9:58 AM, Jhawk said:

I heard Jeff Long used it to hire coaches.