Outer Worlds

Storm the Field

• 10 months later...

Comes out Friday. Reviews have been quite positive so far. Lots of reviewers mentioning stuff like "this is what Fallout 4 should have been" and "they put the RP back in RPG."  

Don't really have time to jump on it right now, so will probably wait a few months, but it's definitely on my list.

Edited by Storm the Field

Loving it so far.  At the moment it's basically Fallout in space, which I am happy with.

Clever of them to build a world where there is a plausible reason to be crawling around ruins/abandoned areas loaded with critters (ala Fallout). Seems stable too, no glitches or bugs that I've noticed yet.

Also with the decor/theme looking like what might have happened if Fallout's world never had that nuclear war.

I didn't like the default controller layout and found a setting called "legacy" (I think that's the name), that maps the controls to be pretty close to what Fallout has.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2019 at 8:00 PM, Celery Man said:

Slowly playing through, just made it to Byzantium.  This is a great game.  I stupidly accepted a robophobia flaw before I realized most of them are not worth it and that actions have real consequences.  Whole place gives me the damn willies.

the flaws are useless, i keep getting offered options and turn them down. its like they had great art and then said "lets shoehorn this in here" 

wonder what the "acceptance rate" is for flaws at an overall level is? guessing they can see

I decided I wasn't going to pay the 10k for the nav key to stellar bay, I'll just land at the other pad and walk there. I made it about halfway and realized it was a bad idea. I got chewed up like a mofo. Crawled back to Gladys and paid the money. 

Edited by Sandman
  • Haha 1

Regretting that I cleaned out the board troopers who interrupted my mission taking over the abandoned space station for...sublight? I’m not sure it fucked the game up but I became persona non grata in Byzantium mid mission (way later in the game) and did not end up being able to pursue the strategy I otherwise might have. Also not sure if that ruined my ability to get side quests there that I hadn’t yet picked up. I think I can get my rep back but again putting me in a corner with my choices.

On 11/25/2019 at 7:26 AM, NoName said:

the flaws are useless, i keep getting offered options and turn them down. its like they had great art and then said "lets shoehorn this in here" 

wonder what the "acceptance rate" is for flaws at an overall level is? guessing they can see

I think I have except 2 flaws.   I’m scared of robots and the lizards.  It does nothing.  It did unlock an achievement though.  “Flawed hero” or some shit. 

My one hesitation to buy this originally was that I was under the impression it was kind of short. I've put in probably 20+ hours already and still have several planets that I've yet to set foot on and have only completed a handful of the main quests. This game has sidequests coming out the ying yang. And since the game allows you to keep levelling at a decent pace, there's actually motivation to do them all.

the map is a little misleading in terms of.... content per planet.  I don't know how many hours I put in but it wasn't crazy short, and I still want to play through with different choices, see where forks in the road take you.  It's possible to kill literally everyone and complete the game, so I'm curious.

• 7 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Yes, I'm actually playing through the last DLC right now. They both add a good couple hours to the campaign, one is a murder mystery, so It's really making me want to start over with a completely dumb character because I think it'll be hilarious to have the dumbest man in the Universe hired to solve a high profile murder.

I recall now why I came to this so late...it was not on Steam for the first year it was released.  Not that I love Steam or anything but I am loathe to add more store fronts to play games on the PC since they all suck compared to Steam.  I hate the EA one, the Ubisoft one, the Epic one and even GOG with all its free/cheap content is amateur hour compared to Steam.

Anyway.  I am level 12 and just off the space station with a ton of different quests to do and 4 companions.  Pretty wide open and fun at this point.  One thing I will say that I hate is the loot.  Its diablo style where its mostly randomly generated and 95% of what you pick up you are breaking down or selling.  Not cool especially since encumbrance is a problem without perks or high strength.  The game also has a Borderlands vibe to it IMO.  In that the 'best' gun might not be for you and sometimes its a lot more fun to run with something that has a sight you like or particular effect.

• 2 weeks later...