Endeavor

tbone_

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Seen every episode of all three shows. I absolutely loved all of them. Sometimes I catch myself saying “Mind how you go.” Was DI Thursday’s line.

There are some interesting tidbits about these shows as well. 

In the final season of Inspector Morse one of the bad guys in the 3rd to last show in the series is played by Roger Allam. Allam is DI Thursday in the Endeavor series. 

John Thaw’s (Inspector Morse) daughter plays the newspaper reporter in Endeavor. That’s really cool how they incorporated her into the prequel in an  important way.

Inspector Lewis’s real life wife was one of the victim’s in an episode of the original Inspector Morse. 

Lewis’s DS in the show tried to run for Mayor of London not too long ago. His character in the show is much nicer than the guy in real life from all appearances. Lewis is probably the nicest of all the main characters, by far.

I love these shows from the UK. The murder mystery is something I find more appealing to watch. I cannot possibly recommend these shows more. It is worth the time to spend watching them. I would recommend watching Morse, Lewis and then the prequel.

@Brothahorn was the person who originally recommended this to me. Cannot thank him enough for it. My mother wound up watching all of them as well and she loved them. She did not like Inspector Morse at first, but she eventually loved the character.

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Hook 'Em 4

Looking at my account it appears that the original is on Britbox. It’s 6.99 a month. Real treasure trove of shows on there. I am going to start a thread later for all of these shows I have seen that I would like to recommend. Just some great acting in these three shows, but so many more shows as well. 

Also the prequel has Anton Lesser playing the police chief. He was Qyburn in Game of Thrones. 

Allam, believe it or not, was in two episodes in season one of GoT. 

https://gameofthrones.fandom.com/wiki/Illyrio_Mopatis

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

Lewis’s DS in the show tried to run for Mayor of London not too long ago. His character in the show is much nicer than the guy in real life from all appearances. Lewis is probably the nicest of all the main characters, by far.

I love these shows from the UK. The murder mystery is something I find more appealing to watch. I cannot possibly recommend these shows more. It is worth the time to spend watching them. I would recommend watching Morse, Lewis and then the prequel.

@Brothahorn was the person who originally recommended this to me. Cannot thank him enough for it. My mother wound up watching all of them as well and she loved them. She did not like Inspector Morse at first, but she eventually loved the character.

Same love all these shows. And yeah I was super shocked to discover Laurence Fox from DI Lewis was an asshole in real life. He def went a bit nutso from this Twitter activity during UK lockdowns.  I just get a kick out of all these shows... with how many murders taking place in a quiet genteel place like Oxford. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

We just started this based off this thread and at first I thought I picked the movie version of the show as I looked down and was an hour and ten minutes into the first episode. Double checked to make sure and holy shit, every episode is about 1.5 hours!

Took a minute for me to get into the pace of it but I kind of expected that from a British show. It's must-see every night after the kids go to bed for me and the wife, I absolutely love it. It kind of reminds me of Elementary with Johnny Lee Miller. Fuckery is afoot>twists>big finale realization all laid out at the end. 

Currently halfway through season 2. Thanks for the rec gents!

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

On 8/18/2023 at 8:46 AM, UpperWestside said:

Seen every episode of all three shows. I absolutely loved all of them. Sometimes I catch myself saying “Mind how you go.” Was DI Thursday’s line.

There are some interesting tidbits about these shows as well. 

In the final season of Inspector Morse one of the bad guys in the 3rd to last show in the series is played by Roger Allam. Allam is DI Thursday in the Endeavor series. 

John Thaw’s (Inspector Morse) daughter plays the newspaper reporter in Endeavor. That’s really cool how they incorporated her into the prequel in an  important way.

Inspector Lewis’s real life wife was one of the victim’s in an episode of the original Inspector Morse. 

Glad you enjoyed it. At this point, I love British TV more than American TV. They just tell the stories better without the unnecessary fluff. Plus the characters and accents are fun.

Have you tried Midsomer Murders? It's a bit more light-hearted than Endeavor, but it's been around for 23 seasons and is worth a shot.

• Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, TankedBevo said:

We just started this based off this thread and at first I thought I picked the movie version of the show as I looked down and was an hour and ten minutes into the first episode. Double checked to make sure and holy shit, every episode is about 1.5 hours!

Took a minute for me to get into the pace of it but I kind of expected that from a British show. It's must-see every night after the kids go to bed for me and the wife, I absolutely love it. It kind of reminds me of Elementary with Johnny Lee Miller. Fuckery is afoot>twists>big finale realization all laid out at the end. 

Currently halfway through season 2. Thanks for the rec gents!

You should check out the whole family of shows. Inspector Lewis is great.  I'm not really bothered that his sidekick is hard right IRL.  Most actors are nuts.    

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

Glad you enjoyed it. At this point, I love British TV more than American TV. They just tell the stories better without the unnecessary fluff. Plus the characters and accents are fun.

Have you tried Midsomer Murders? It's a bit more light-hearted than Endeavor, but it's been around for 23 seasons and is worth a shot.

Oh man I can’t thank you enough and I am sure my mom would tell you the same. I only watch TV shows from the UK now. I have Britbox, Acorn and PBS Masterpiece. The acting is better and you pretty much described why that is. Vera is another massive favorite of mine among many, many others. I get a bunch of Rex’s from people I serve from the UK. It also makes for great conversation when I know their favorite shows because I like them too!

Midsommer is on the list. I keep looking at it, but never start only because of the amount of seasons. I am going to have to start it though so thanks for the recommendation. 

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

You should check out the whole family of shows. Inspector Lewis is great.  I'm not really bothered that his sidekick is hard right IRL.  Most actors are nuts.    

Lewis is really good. To go from old Morse to Lewis as the main character is quite the contrast in style. His sidekick could’ve probably continued a new iteration of the show. He was more similar in style to young Morse. Too bad that did not happen.