Roseanne s10

TexasMan

3 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

It's a very strong cast, they'll be fine without Roseanne 

She always needed Goodman and Metcalf to set her up. I’m watching some ole episodes and she’s not a great actress. Just zingy one liners. As long as Dan and Jackie are around, the show will do fine for 2018

Missed the new episode.  How did Rosanne die? 

I like the original show and thought the reboot was worth watching.  Although Rosanne wasn't a great actress, I think her interaction with Goodman and Metcalf was the focus of the show and that she'll be sorely missed as a character on the show.  The two daughters just aren't interesting.  Becky is made out to be a rudderless loser and Darlene is perpetually brooding and unpleasant.  We'll see but I find it hard to see how they'll maintain without such a central character.  

Opioid overdose. Which is topical and in line with the working class blue collar Midwest vibe of the show. 

And interestingly enough flows with the reboot arc for her character. Even before they knew she was going to get fired they were working the pill addiction angle. Fit perfectly.

I agree, but she isn't the only Hollywood personality that has a political agenda. I for one can think and live without any help from the left or right. And I really wasn't a fan anyway.

I don’t know about “political agenda”, but if you make monkey jokes you’re pretty much getting fired.

On 10/20/2018 at 3:28 PM, tx 3 putt said:

It's a very strong cast, they'll be fine without Roseanne 

I saw that it was beaten by every other show. Also, only one more episode has been ordered.

“The Conners” dropped in everything last night–total viewers, key demo. In the nightly ratings battle. the “Roseanne” spin off continues to trend downward.

Last night, “The Conners” was beaten by everything- “NCIS,” “The Voice,” etc. This was their first really objective run, no World Series, nothing to distract potential viewers.

But the key demo sank, which isn’t a good sign. And the total viewers were down by 180K, which is a lot, frankly. People are leaving and they’re not coming back.

ABC has ordered 1 extra episode to the original order of 10. Sounds to me like a finale. Someone wakes up and says they dreamt Roseanne died. There’s a cackle from the next room. Fade to black.

https://www.showbiz411.com/2018/10/31/ratings-the-conners-beaten-by-everything-drops-in-total-viewers-and-demo-as-abc-orders-only-1-more-episode

15 hours ago, Drew said:

Man that sucks, because I think it's still worth a watch.  It's definitely lost some magic without Roseanne, which his weird considering how everyone hated her anyways.

It suffers when Gilbert/Goodman or Goodman/Metcalfe aren't on screen together.  These 2 combos are always guaranteed to play well.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

It's a shame. The original was one of my favorite sitcoms ever, and I liked the new Roseanne as well. The formula just doesn't work without her.It's a shame she damaged the careers of all those who depended on her. 

Well, she brought the show back and gave them a job.. then, signed her rights to the show away after her comments so they could all keep their jobs.. asshole or not, she's the reason any of them have a career.  

Seems like they lost more than a main actress when Roseanne left, this weeks episode was set up perfectly to poke fun at how stupid people have become over supposed “cultural appropriation” and “politically correct costumes” but it seems like they skirted the issue and copped out and it fell flat.

Well, she brought the show back and gave them a job.. then, signed her rights to the show away after her comments so they could all keep their jobs.. asshole or not, she's the reason any of them have a career.  

Not John Goodman or Laurie Metcalf, but at any rate I was actually talking about the behind the scenes people.

• 3 weeks later...

Show is tanking.  They've only ordered one more episode after the original six of the Roseanne-less reboot.  Metcalf and Goodman have had to take pay cuts.  The executive who fired Roseanne just stepped down from ABC yesterday (although much of that seems to be the impending merger with Disney (ABC parent  company) and 21st C. Fox.  But still, the timing.

They never, ever should have fired her for that tweet.  Suspend her, fine her, do whatever.  They had the most incredible debut and ratings of almost any show in the last 10 years.  Now they're languishing in 4th of 5 places in their time slot, and nowhere near second, under half of what that rating is.

Political correctness ran amok and cost ABC more ad revenue and viewers in one fell swoop than any show in that space of time between the firing and reboot in the history of television.  Idiocy begets poverty.

• Like 1

It seems like firing someone has become the default for such an offense so I guess I can't blame them, but I think it sends a bad message that you are kowtowing to social medial thugs.  I think they could have tried suspension etc.  Take it seriously but not kill people's careers.  Too bad.  I loved the original show and liked the original reboot enough to watch.   Pretty much dead in the water I guess.  As much as people say they don't like Rosanne the chemistry of the show clearly suffers without her presence. 

Not exactly genius but I thought The Connors would be a flop.  The people who were the most outraged and were out for blood were largely not people watching the show in the first place.  It was more a middle American audience that right or wrong probably weren't as upset about her tweet, or at least would have found it forgivable with an earnest apology.     

Edited by Lhorn

13 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Show is tanking.  They've only ordered one more episode after the original six of the Roseanne-less reboot.  Metcalf and Goodman have had to take pay cuts.  The executive who fired Roseanne just stepped down from ABC yesterday (although much of that seems to be the impending merger with Disney (ABC parent  company) and 21st C. Fox.  But still, the timing.

They never, ever should have fired her for that tweet.  Suspend her, fine her, do whatever.  They had the most incredible debut and ratings of almost any show in the last 10 years.  Now they're languishing in 4th of 5 places in their time slot, and nowhere near second, under half of what that rating is.

Political correctness ran amok and cost ABC more ad revenue and viewers in one fell swoop than any show in that space of time between the firing and reboot in the history of television.  Idiocy begets poverty.

And even with what she said, which was deplorable and she should have been punished somewhat...the ratings would not have seen a significant drop because of them.  They should have just kept her on the show.