China Travel

happyfunball

Took similar trip 35 years ago, when China first opened up to outsiders. Expanded my horizons like nothing else in my life ever has. It was not at all modernized then. Plenty of Mao Jackets and Russian looking buildings. First event after landing was The Peking Opera. The combination of sleep deprivation and the uniqueness of the Opera made for quite a psychedelic experience.  

• 2 months later...

Set up a VPN client and account on your computer and phone BEFORE you go. The apps are blocked in the app stores in China so it becomes much more difficult to set up connectivity once you're in-country. International roaming plans are much less filtered by China, a local SIM is heavily filtered. Some international hotels might have VPN pipelines for their WiFi.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Set up a VPN client and account on your computer and phone BEFORE you go. The apps are blocked in the app stores in China so it becomes much more difficult to set up connectivity once you're in-country. International roaming plans are much less filtered by China, a local SIM is heavily filtered. Some international hotels might have VPN pipelines for their WiFi.

part of me was thinking of wiping my phone, is that too much?

I wouldn't bother, but it depends what you have on it. If you're concerned about important data, at least set a strong password and remove your fingerprint and face recognition from it. Obviously depends on your traveler profile; if you're a random tourist you're very unlikely to get any scrutiny. If you're a high enough profile target, they've probably already hacked all your data. In between those 2 extremes is where you can take reasonable precautions, if you care.

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

Volunteering yourself to give advice about China and the first thing you say is din tai fung sucks? Dude there goes your credibility...

Yeah, sure there are better places but it most certainty does not "suck".

2 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

Volunteering yourself to give advice about China and the first thing you say is din tai fung sucks? Dude there goes your credibility...

Agreed attention seeking bullshit - should have just said "hey I went to China and here are my pics"

• 4 months later...
On 7/18/2019 at 1:04 PM, HRSchenker said:

Do I need a VPN when heading to Hong Kong? I know HK is still China but I have no idea if they have the same kind of censorship as the mainland.

my VPN dialed into hong kong while i was in shanghai, so i assume not.

Edited by elfenix
edited to clarify i was not in hong kong

40 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

Do I need a VPN when heading to Hong Kong? I know HK is still China but I have no idea if they have the same kind of censorship as the mainland.

not in my experience. been a few years but HK was blockage free.  and PRC had extensive blockage even at the airport

On 12/9/2018 at 2:44 PM, Not that Bob said:

Took similar trip 35 years ago, when China first opened up to outsiders. Expanded my horizons like nothing else in my life ever has. It was not at all modernized then. Plenty of Mao Jackets and Russian looking buildings. First event after landing was The Peking Opera. The combination of sleep deprivation and the uniqueness of the Opera made for quite a psychedelic experience.  

get out of the cities and much the same still, like a time machine

• 2 months later...
No you won't need a VPN in HK. The Internet isn't censored. Be careful though especially on the subways, the protests have resulted in Innocents getting attacked on subways. But being white you should be ok. If it gets sticky stay in the midlevels area on hong kong island.

Shouldn't be any issue going to HKG, as you say avoid the active protest areas, many parts of the city you won't see anything different at all. Tourism has plummeted, so hotels are cheap, all the sights aren't crowded, and retailers have various promotions. If anything, it's a great time to go. A coworker was there a month ago during the protests and found the protestors incredibly polite and educated, with mostly excellent English.

• 1 month later...

I'm in Hong Kong right now. Wow this place is great. Been to a hiking trail, Victoria Peak, and other popular food places and you can really tell that tourism is down. I haven't seen any protests but there are posters and graffiti everywhere. Lots of pro democracy, anti China stuff. There's also tons of anti LeBron James graffiti too. One sign in Mong Kok said "LeBron James pussy ass bitch" 

On 11/6/2019 at 1:36 AM, HRSchenker said:

I'm in Hong Kong right now. Wow this place is great. Been to a hiking trail, Victoria Peak, and other popular food places and you can really tell that tourism is down. I haven't seen any protests but there are posters and graffiti everywhere. Lots of pro democracy, anti China stuff. There's also tons of anti LeBron James graffiti too. One sign in Mong Kok said "LeBron James pussy ass bitch" 

Please tell me you took a pic of pussy ass bitch