Cattle & Ranching

Errestaurants

We raise brangus, retain the heifers, and then put the Hereford on those. Little ultra black to with brangus over red angus. 

We did the same thing for years to get the black baldy calves. They seem to cycle in and out of favor around here. We’re back to black brangus with a red brangus bull.

3 hours ago, Amos Moses said:

We did the same thing for years to get the black baldy calves. They seem to cycle in and out of favor around here. We’re back to black brangus with a red brangus bull.

Red and black baldys along with tiger stripes sale the best for heifers. White face steers sale good at the barns especially if they are uniform and can make a load. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/5/2018 at 1:09 PM, Royalfan5 said:

Looks like my steers will be ready in two weeks to join the food chain. Probably buy some fall calves to run out in the Sandhills until fall next.

sounds good. did you have a pen? i like to know what the makeup of the rations were if you can get it. are you putting your own loads together?

8 hours ago, Errestaurants said:

sounds good. did you have a pen? i like to know what the makeup of the rations were if you can get it. are you putting your own loads together?

I’ll take a picture of my ration sheet and post it later. It’s based on white corn because the owners of the lot grow food grade corn anyway, so they just planted everything to white, and rolled and packed it in their bunker.

• Like 1

I posted earlier that the pasture situation in the Flint Hills was looking dire because of the drought. Luckily, we have had some welcome rains over the last couple of weeks and the hills are looking nice and green. The stock ponds are still low because there hasn't been much runoff but maybe we have cracked the seal on the rain thing. There is nothing prettier than a newly stocked pasture with rich, green, post-burn bluestem. I need to go out this weekend and take some pictures to show you what  makes these pastures so special.

• Like 3

On 3/29/2018 at 6:43 PM, Chooky said:

Had to wade into a creek to wrap a chain around a dead and bloated cow.  The oily, rainbow film of death juice floating around the cow was almost as awesome as being in the water while it was 38 degrees outside.  Ah, nothing like country life.  

Sorry I missed this when it was fresh. It got me thinking about cattle and creek experiences. Back in '74 when I was a newlywed working for my FIL on his ranch, the wife and I went out after a big rain and high water to fix watergaps. I don't know where they came from but several of them had 8' t-posts. Too tall for me to drive in with a driver so I had the bright idea to put her on my shoulders and let her pound the post (sounds dirty but it wasn't). It was going fine until she locked her legs to get more power and choked me out. We went down in a heap and I had to get stitches in my scalp from the bigass creek rock that I landed on. Okay, let me hear yours.

• Like 3

On 3/27/2018 at 8:00 PM, EtOH said:

This fits nowhere currently. Basically we’re all shoving each other over FEMA cots. Be patient. Pee in the corner. Heat up your chili mac. Forum trailers are on the way. 

And $1.80/lb?  What was he, 300 pounds?

it fits in daily texan, as the successor to bada bing, which was for apolitical discussion of non-lulzy general topics. 

12 hours ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

I posted earlier that the pasture situation in the Flint Hills was looking dire because of the drought. Luckily, we have had some welcome rains over the last couple of weeks and the hills are looking nice and green. The stock ponds are still low because there hasn't been much runoff but maybe we have cracked the seal on the rain thing. There is nothing prettier than a newly stocked pasture with rich, green, post-burn bluestem. I need to go out this weekend and take some pictures to show you what  makes these pastures so special.

It damn well better stay wet too because their isn’t any spare hay left. I had one guy dump 800 big rounds of 2 and 3 year old alfalfa in the last week because he got offered enough to overcome his paranoia about it.

On 5/10/2018 at 9:54 AM, SHOOTER12 said:

O.K. all you cattle folks, how many cattle per acre can you graze  on good grazing land in East Texas around Nacogdoches/Lufkin area?

lots of variables mainly due to what do you consider "good" grazing?  being in deep East Texas is there a lot of timber or is this open pasture with coastal? Are you going to install rotational grazing or just put the cows out and check on them once a week or so?  do you have sudan/sorghum seeded or some millet and cow peas or just bermuda? a lot of it depends on the nutrient density of your grass and how often you plan on giving the pasture a rest.  id say an animal unit to 10 acres. great pasture using highly intensive rotational grazing could be an animal unit for every 2 or 3 acres especially if you strip graze. 

On 5/12/2018 at 4:38 PM, Royalfan5 said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/mjwiegand/status/995343328743968768

Couldn’t get to embed right but here’s what my steers looked like this morning 

Nebraskans don't fuck around.  That's a serious operation.  All of those animals look stellar.  Very weekend warrior, amateur hour stuff over here.  I could take our best steer and compare it to any one of those.  And mine would look like Danny DeVito standing next to Lebron James.  

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Chooky said:

Nebraskans don't fuck around.  That's a serious operation.  All of those animals look stellar.  Very weekend warrior, amateur hour stuff over here.  I could take our best steer and compare it to any one of those.  And mine would look like Danny DeVito standing next to Lebron James.  

Which is why it’s unfortunate that they picked cornhuskers instead of something beef related for the mascot.

6 hours ago, Both Tacos said:
11 hours ago, Errestaurants said:
Those that Ranch or have land have been there and done this! lol

32267101_10216548745693663_2519730980395155456_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=2ed2d864bba42e83a8ca9297733555d3&oe=5B93764A

Read more  

That's why you make sure a tractor isn't too far away or there is a hand around you can call to bring the tractor to you.

Yea, that’s what i did. Went and got a tractor

Your mom went to get a tractor.

Sorry. I'm not good at these mom jokes. If your mom had gone to get the tractor that just would've been helpful and not at all insulting to you or her. It'd actually be impressive.  This hypothetical scenario I've unnecessarily conjured in a random and pointless attempt to insult you has backfired on me.  The goal was to suggest promiscuity with a combined deficit of moral turpitude.  Your mom is probably an elegant and pleasant person, and I'm clearly a meandering buffoon grasping at an inane and needy attempt to be humorous. I've botched this mom joke terribly and I apologize for wasting your time. I'm going to slowly walk backward out of this page and go somewhere quiet and reevaluate myself. 

• Haha 1

On 5/11/2018 at 5:47 PM, Errestaurants said:

lots of variables mainly due to what do you consider "good" grazing?  being in deep East Texas is there a lot of timber or is this open pasture with coastal? Are you going to install rotational grazing or just put the cows out and check on them once a week or so?  do you have sudan/sorghum seeded or some millet and cow peas or just bermuda? a lot of it depends on the nutrient density of your grass and how often you plan on giving the pasture a rest.  id say an animal unit to 10 acres. great pasture using highly intensive rotational grazing could be an animal unit for every 2 or 3 acres especially if you strip graze. 

I plan on clearing out 95% of the timber and going with coastal to start.  So I guess it could be said I'm starting from scratch and seeking out more knowledgeable people on how to get started and get the most bang for my buck.

Edited by SHOOTER12
fat fingeritous

I plan on clearing out 95% of the timber and going with coastal to start.  So I guess it could be said I'm starting from scratch and seeking out more knowledgeable people on how to get started and get the most bang for my buck.
Do you have a company coming out to cut and take the timber? If not why? Hardwoods? If you are doing it are you going to burn or bury the cut timber? Do you currently have coastal? If not are you going to Sprig it? If you plan on broadcasting seed, good luck. Disc, seed, drag and pray. You need to take soil samples in different parts of the pasture. You probably need to at least lime it. 1 ton an acre.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, Errestaurants said:

Do you have a company coming out to cut and take the timber? If not why? Hardwoods? If you are doing it are you going to burn or bury the cut timber? Do you currently have coastal? If not are you going to Sprig it? If you plan on broadcasting seed, good luck. Disc, seed, drag and pray. You need to take soil samples in different parts of the pasture. You probably need to at least lime it. 1 ton an acre.

Oh hell yeah, selling every bit of it.  tons of hardwood and good pine.  Lots of logging contacts.

13 hours ago, Chooky said:

Your mom went to get a tractor.

Sorry. I'm not good at these mom jokes. If your mom had gone to get the tractor that just would've been helpful and not at all insulting to you or her. It'd actually be impressive.  This hypothetical scenario I've unnecessarily conjured in a random and pointless attempt to insult you has backfired on me.  The goal was to suggest promiscuity with a combined deficit of moral turpitude.  Your mom is probably an elegant and pleasant person, and I'm clearly a meandering buffoon grasping at an inane and needy attempt to be humorous. I've botched this mom joke terribly and I apologize for wasting your time. I'm going to slowly walk backward out of this page and go somewhere quiet and reevaluate myself. 

You’re quite the wordsmith and obviously highly intelligent. No need to re-evaluate yourself. My mom was unfortunately not present and isn’t much of a rancher. 

Who ever is putting down your fertilizer and weed control should know what they are using. I use 24D for broadleaf and Grazon.

Before fertilizing you should take soil samples. So you know what ratio of npk you'll need. Lot of people just use triple 13 though. On straight hay pasture with no cattle I definitely liming every couple years. 1 ton an acre.

On 5/10/2018 at 9:54 AM, SHOOTER12 said:

O.K. all you cattle folks, how many cattle per acre can you graze  on good grazing land in East Texas around Nacogdoches/Lufkin area?

We have a family place about 30 miles west of Errestaurants on the edge of the Post Oak Belt/Black land prairie. One part is about 240 acres with about 30% post oak and creek bottom.  We run 24-26 cow/calf pairs on the portion. The other portion is about 65 acres, about 20% wooded and gets 9 or 10 pairs.  

• Like 1

Having a good year. Counted 34 heifers and 11 calves, Sunday. My guy was feeling good. He was chasing a heifer all day trying to give her a Mother's Day gift.

Spraying for flies this weekend, what do you guys use?
Permectrin or permethrin with diesel