Cattle & Ranching

Errestaurants

We had 3 WDs and a Farmall M with an MW hand clutch retrofit and 4 balers. An M and an H to pull 8' sickle mowers and 3 of the nieces and nephews or wives on 9N Fords with 12' rakes. It was quite a crew. Field lunches were the best. Those old farm wives could cook. It would take us from late August right up to milo harvest to get it all wrapped up. We had a 53 Chevy pickup with a generator/welder mounted in the back. There was a 55 gal drum mounted on a rack for fuel. A bigass anvil and vise hung of the bumper. We had more tools in that truck than we had in our shop. There were damn few problems we couldn't fix out of that truck. I'll have to see if I can find some pictures and scan them in here. You youngsters and your cabs and GPS might get a kick out of it.

The most excitement was when one of the rakes would stir up a bumblebee nest or somebody would come across a prairie rattler. The biggest one I ever saw was 18" or so and most were a foot or less. They made up for their lack of size with numbers. Sometimes we would square bale some of the hay to feed our small cowherd and it would get dicey bucking those bales onto a flatbed. The snakes liked to get under the bales and escape the sun. Fun times.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

It sounds like everything is growing like crazy this year. Is goatweed hard to control? Not something we have to worry about here.

Wish there was a market for goatweed.  We'd be riiiiiiiich!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, thestud said:

I lit my field up with glyphosate end of March. Had Chaparral injected into my fertilizer first of May. About to hit it with 2oz/acre of Pastora to knock out this Johnson grass and stickers that always come out after a couple good rains. Constantly getting some sort of bullshit pop up. Such is life when you’re flush with rain. 4 years ago I barely got a bale an acre average.

damn that is lighting shit up. 3 hits of herbicide. that Pastora is good shit for bermuda. 

about to head out to mow. takes me 3 got damn hours. wife likes the front gate, roads, ditches, around the bass pond and of course 2 acres around the barn plus a line outside the fence around the barn all to be mowed.  thats not including the whore devil called weed eating. 

probably going to die. 

On 6/28/2019 at 12:44 PM, thestud said:

I lit my field up with glyphosate end of March. Had Chaparral injected into my fertilizer first of May. About to hit it with 2oz/acre of Pastora to knock out this Johnson grass and stickers that always come out after a couple good rains. Constantly getting some sort of bullshit pop up. Such is life when you’re flush with rain. 4 years ago I barely got a bale an acre average.

Had any damage to the trees with Pastora?

I plowed through the label, it's down in Precautions. MSM has been a problem with live oaks in particular. 

Edited by cactusflinthead

Any of u guys sell halves or whole steers to people? I kinda asked last year and had a couple posters seem interested. I'm going to put probably 5 baldy steers on some good grass then hot feed. Can finish on grass but that will take quite a bit longer for the buyer. What y'all think? Thing $5 pound to the buyer hanging weight.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
29 minutes ago, thestud said:

This silly sumbitch just called me up and he sees I’m having a hard time moving my hay so he offered to take all of it for $35/roll delivered.

First off you inbred aggy turd, it’s rained ONCE in the last 71 days here. I ain’t having trouble moving this shit I’m sitting on it because the value goes up by the hour. Second, if this was a lush year and I was getting ready to make my 4th cut I would still be losing money at $35 delivered. Fucking jackasses out here I swear

Lol. I saw some shit hay for sale for $55 this week. Loose ass 4x5s.

Where is your place? What part of the state? I'm in Kaufman and Henderson counties. 

20 hours ago, thestud said:

Parker/Wise/Jack County corridor. Thing is if he were close to Milam County my dad has a shit ton of twine rolled Johnson grass from last year he might let go for $40, but right now he’s selling it for $55 and it’s moving like hot cakes.

I really like the area around Peaster and Poolville. Couple big Angus ranches there. Cox and Lesikar.

• 4 weeks later...

I weaned on Monday- pretty loud at the place for the next few days.  Had a breakout the first night- the calves got their heads in a panel and lifted it off the pins.  Pretty sickening feeling walking out of the house first thing in the morning and not hearing bawling- wondering where 120 calves that are scared out of their little minds ended up.  I usually keep one group of mother cows at home for this reason- luckily the runaways hit the cow herd in the middle of the night and stuck with them for the most part.  Several hours' of sorting and we were back in business again.  Poor things.  

• Like 2

On 7/1/2019 at 8:25 PM, Errestaurants said:

i'm a big fan of Kent Rollins

I'm not sure how I missed this when you posted in the summer.  That guy's cooking methods are hilarious- drops the egg shell in the egg, just like me, and dispenses salt just the same as I do- might as well take the damn top off.  "Little bit of milk" equals one quart.  Will definitely watch more of his stuff.  Looks good, too.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

I weaned on Monday- pretty loud at the place for the next few days.  Had a breakout the first night- the calves got their heads in a panel and lifted it off the pins.  Pretty sickening feeling walking out of the house first thing in the morning and not hearing bawling- wondering where 120 calves that are scared out of their little minds ended up.  I usually keep one group of mother cows at home for this reason- luckily the runaways hit the cow herd in the middle of the night and stuck with them for the most part.  Several hours' of sorting and we were back in business again.  Poor things.  

Yea damn calves. I also wean with the momma cows in the pasture next to the weaning pasture.  Nothing like the 'ol breakout

15 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

Our tenant will just pack up the calves and take them to another of his pastures down the road. 

I hate the sound of those sad mommas walking all around the place the next day looking for their babies.

I was dumb enough one year to gather everything that was in one particular pasture, take the calves home to wean, and mother cows went to winter grass.  Cows tore the fence down and walked several miles back to their original pasture, looking for their calves.  Much smarter to let the mothers remain where they are for a week or two.  Kind of entertaining to watch the mother cows at weaning- some will search for their babies for a couple of days, and others are like, "Ah- little fucker was kind of getting on my nerves anyway...  Peace out."  

After all these years what still breaks my heart is during calving season when a broody mother cow loses a brand new baby.  She'll spend several days practically screaming for her baby, and running up to each calf to see if it's hers.  Weaning season seems a little more callous.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Question for you cattle guys: is this Brahman Bull safe to pet? He belongs to our tenant. He's just so big it makes me nervous for anyone to get too close to him, even on the other side of the fence. He is very clearly curious and has gotten less scared of us as we take care of the chickens in our fenced vegetable patch. So much so that pretty much every day he will leave the rest of the herd and walk across the pasture to say hello and watch us over the fence. I think he wants attention; just nervous since he is so big and I'm not an expert cow guy. I've heard Brahman's are gentle... just want to make sure in this case. 

IMG_3611.JPG.d3e3a29fb95fcb20b6d65ac19aa16e73.JPG

If you want to pet him, become his best friend.

Buy a bag of cattle nuggets and take a couple of pounds in a pail out with you. Rattle the can a bit, then dump them out in a line on his side next to the fence. Pet away as he is eating.

This is probably what he is coming up to you for anyway. Ask your tenant.

Liberal with the cubes, but remember why there is a saying about cattle with “a lot of ear”. Those Indian fuckers have always been harder to handle imo, but they do well with the salt grass and mesquitos on the coast.  It’s a love hate relationship and I miss our limousins often.  But they are damn good for what they are bred for. 

• Like 1

On 12/23/2019 at 5:10 PM, davidg said:

If you want to pet him, become his best friend.

Buy a bag of cattle nuggets and take a couple of pounds in a pail out with you. Rattle the can a bit, then dump them out in a line on his side next to the fence. Pet away as he is eating.

This is probably what he is coming up to you for anyway. Ask your tenant.

Worked for my wife....I'm still around....

Second day of kindergarten didn’t go so well yesterday.
Instead of him saying when he saw me, “That’s that nice guy who brought me cubes yesterday!”, he said, “That’s that asshole who tried to touch my head!”
Needless to say, we are not friends yet. 

Please have someone video tomorrow’s attempt
  • Like 3