Cattle & Ranching

Errestaurants

Couple steers I'm kinda feeding out. Doing something a little different then years past. Keeping them sack broke but mostly grass and lots of pasture and a little older. Got a couple sold plus one donated. The other 2 I'll keep. Maybe a couple of you guys can come over 4 a dinner. 39fea36d0d4202f51bbe33384f20d0c4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

• Like 6

No, but I have been setting up a lot more catch pens and loading facilities based on the "Bud Box" idea of cattle always wanting to go back from whence they came.  My main working facility is based on Temple Grandin's idea of cattle circling, and it works very well, but everything is stout panels, posts, and gates.  In my less-secure facilities, I think the idea of cattle thinking they're getting away and then bam- they're somehow on the trailer- works pretty well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kennythetiger said:

No, but I have been setting up a lot more catch pens and loading facilities based on the "Bud Box" idea of cattle always wanting to go back from whence they came.  My main working facility is based on Temple Grandin's idea of cattle circling, and it works very well, but everything is stout panels, posts, and gates.  In my less-secure facilities, I think the idea of cattle thinking they're getting away and then bam- they're somehow on the trailer- works pretty well.

It seems Bud Box is becoming more popular. I hear a lot of guys liking them. 

On 2/15/2020 at 8:06 PM, davidg said:

I bet that SSQA post driver makes quick work of a post fence. Very jealous of that when it comes to digging or drilling postholes and concreting or sledgehammering them in.

I built a 30x40 pole barn with one once. Sunk some 2 3/8” 8’ down.  That dude was amazing and made for a very stiff pole barn. 

• 2 weeks later...

Burning got underway last weekend and then the rain moved in. Had about an inch of rain over the last 48 hrs and 7" since New Years. Looks like the pastures are going to be in great shape going into the season. The ponds should have enough to get through the blast furnace you know will hit us in July and August. Going to start riding fences as soon as the rain stops later this week.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/28/2020 at 9:14 PM, Errestaurants said:

how many of you finish your own beef? any of you sell it locally? 

Do you run cattle/ Ranch full time or have a job in town as well?  Me and a buddy have been looking at getting a few pairs to put on his now unused pasture in Stockdale. I’ve been watching the prices at the local sale barn and pairs have been around $650-$850 the last week. 

8 hours ago, Alvin89 said:

Do you run cattle/ Ranch full time or have a job in town as well?  Me and a buddy have been looking at getting a few pairs to put on his now unused pasture in Stockdale. I’ve been watching the prices at the local sale barn and pairs have been around $650-$850 the last week. 

have a full time job. run cattle on the side. yea prices have been shit for a long time. the good ol days of 4 or 5  years ago when people were retaining coming out of the drought seem like forever ago. i run Hereford and Brangus bulls on Angus cows. 

6 hours ago, Errestaurants said:

have a full time job. run cattle on the side. yea prices have been shit for a long time. the good ol days of 4 or 5  years ago when people were retaining coming out of the drought seem like forever ago. i run Hereford and Brangus bulls on Angus cows. 

Right on. We won’t have much pasture to start with, maybe 30-40 acres. Luckily we don’t have much cash to spend so that’s probably as much as we can handle right now. Do you have any experience with stockers? We are looking into every avenue right now. 

1 hour ago, Alvin89 said:

Right on. We won’t have much pasture to start with, maybe 30-40 acres. Luckily we don’t have much cash to spend so that’s probably as much as we can handle right now. Do you have any experience with stockers? We are looking into every avenue right now. 

I run a cow/calf, Breed registered brangus to sell bulls and retain steers to sell freezer beef. Lol so a little of everything. Most successful cowman in Henderson county runs stockers but he has an eye for cattle and leases lots of pasture. If you are hitting the sale barn you better know what you're doing. I sell in Emory and Athens. Big ranch across the road sells loads into Oklahoma city. I've thought about putting a load together and doing that. 

Running any sort of cattle on 30 or 40 acres is probably going to be more of a pain in your ass but if you enjoy the hobby then do it. Depending on grass you might be able to run 15. Any supplemental feed and you'll be in the red real fast. 

On 4/5/2020 at 5:48 PM, Errestaurants said:

If you are hitting the sale barn you better know what you're doing.

Noooooo doubt. Old, crazy, prolapse prone, infertile, gimpy... if we were selling anything other than 5-6 weight calves at the sale barn there was a REASON we were getting rid of it. 

Have seen this thread for a while and debated joining it. I just left a ranch management job of 5 years in the Kerrville / Mountain Home area and I was working as a hand for a few
years before that. Job didn't end well and I'm pretty f'n burned out on farm and ranch.... but it kind of gets in your blood.. so here I am. I'm down around Shiner now, riding out the flu, and this is definitely cattle country down here. SUCH better pastureland than on top of the Edwards Plateau.. everyone seems to like crazy ass Brahmans down here too. 

@ OP I think I recognize your pens from the welding thread. 

spacer.png

Any plans to put cattle panel / sheet metal on the inside walls of the chute? In the sometimes chaos of loading I'd be concerned
a lower leg / hoof would get stuck between the horizontal sucker rods and get broken. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marfa Low Crown said:

Noooooo doubt. Old, crazy, prolapse prone, infertile, gimpy... if we were selling anything other than 5-6 weight calves at the sale barn there was a REASON we were getting rid of it. 

Have seen this thread for a while and debated joining it. I just left a ranch management job of 5 years in the Kerrville / Mountain Home area and I was working as a hand for a few
years before that. Job didn't end well and I'm pretty f'n burned out on farm and ranch.... but it kind of gets in your blood.. so here I am. I'm down around Shiner now, riding out the flu, and this is definitely cattle country down here. SUCH better pastureland than on top of the Edwards Plateau.. everyone seems to like crazy ass Brahmans down here too. 

@ OP I think I recognize your pens from the welding thread. 

spacer.png

Any plans to put cattle panel / sheet metal on the inside walls of the chute? In the sometimes chaos of loading I'd be concerned
a lower leg / hoof would get stuck between the horizontal sucker rods and get broken. 

Yea we thought about it. This pen is for gathering 18 to 24 month old steers we raise for freezer beef. Nearly like pets and I dont Cowboy them around. At the main ranch where we are doctoring, loading, etc we use 2×8 for the horizontal. 

Yea once you're east of 35 cattle with ear are more prominent. In East Texas, Tiger Stripe mammas are the cats meow. Cover them with Angus or Charolais bulls and you can pound the scales. 

The family has about a 2000 acre cow/calf operation going on down here distributed among several parcels. 

The part of the state that I just left is almost entirely black cows with the very occasional Hereford or Charolais seen. 
Something about that black Angus ad campaign over 30 years ago I guess 🤔

Here it is way more grab bag cattle & they shop the sale barn. I may or may not get involved down here but after observing a trap with about 30 Brahman heifers that would not let me get within 250 yards of them....One thing I determined was that I was not going to be on foot in the pens with any of these cows.
they use dogs and horses down here and based upon what I’ve seen you’d have to. lolz 

After I laughed with the ranch foreman and told him that most of our free-range deer were more tame than his cows he basically said exactly this: 

41 minutes ago, Errestaurants said:

Tiger Stripe mammas are the cats meow. Cover them with Angus or Charolais bulls and you can pound the scales

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Recently inherited a farm house and four barns full of stuff south of Amarillo. I know nothing about farming, but there is a 2010 model (not year) John Deere and a old Oliver. Both are in great shape. The John Deere runs. Not sure on the Oliver. Also several box blades, etc, and a ton of tractor parts. I need to get this stuff sold. What is my best option? Call up a local auction house? Is there a good BBC-type place for tractors? Any direction would be appreciated.

42 minutes ago, squib said:

Recently inherited a farm house and four barns full of stuff south of Amarillo. I know nothing about farming, but there is a 2010 model (not year) John Deere and a old Oliver. Both are in great shape. The John Deere runs. Not sure on the Oliver. Also several box blades, etc, and a ton of tractor parts. I need to get this stuff sold. What is my best option? Call up a local auction house? Is there a good BBC-type place for tractors? Any direction would be appreciated.

Address? I'll be by later in the week to take it all of your hands. No cost to you. You're welcome. 

• Like 1

Squib, do you have a BigIron representative in your neighborhood?  We convinced my dad to sell a lot of his stuff (not quite scrap iron but definitely not field-ready) and I was impressed with the process.  Pretty wide bidding audience.  I have also purchased a large mixer wagon through Tractor House and had no complaints.  Look into that Big Iron thing, though.  If you do go with them, don't be too disappointed in the low number of bids on your shit- people don't start to get serious until about the last day of the sale.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2020 at 4:15 PM, squib said:

Take a look at https://www.tractorhouse.com/ - you can post your tractor for sale. Then if needed, the buyer can use https://www.uship.com/ to have it picked up. 

Edited by smokebomb

• 2 weeks later...

I have a friend that puts up several hundred small square bales for the hobby stockmen around here. He makes a killing on them. Has a New Holland self-propelled Stackliner so he never has to buck them.

I remember when 3 of us would  split a nickel a bale in the early 60s. At the end of the summer I would have $500-$600 saved and felt like I was rich. I would gladly pay that much right now to be able to toss a bale higher than my head. I'd be lucky to get it higher than my waist and that keeps getting lower.

Edited by Shoxthemonkey
  • Like 2

On 6/15/2020 at 2:42 PM, Mother mopar said:

Brings back memories of slinging hay as a kid at 5 cents a bale during the summer. By the time school started you were a yoked MF though.

My 8th grader is getting into football and sports and lifting weights and wants to get bigger. I might suggest hay bales as an alternative workout. 

• Like 2