Cattle & Ranching

Errestaurants

1 hour ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

My 8th grader is getting into football and sports and lifting weights and wants to get bigger. I might suggest hay bales as an alternative workout. 

Mine's going into 9th.  Wish I had a tractor tire he could flip up and down the side yard.  

On 6/15/2020 at 1:54 PM, Amos Moses said:

I’m getting too old to mess with square bales.

We are all too old for square bales. Man I don't miss that 

2 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

My 8th grader is getting into football and sports and lifting weights and wants to get bigger. I might suggest hay bales as an alternative workout. 

A&M will offer based on his forearms alone. 

• Like 1

My hand-me-down chute finally gave out.  Had been pricing new w-w chutes, but at $4000K a pop, it was hard to justify for 150 cows.  Picked up a used Powder River chute at a farm sale this last week.  You guys can look forward to me posting pictures when all of those low handles knock my teeth into my brains.

Edited by Kennythetiger
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Is there a pre-emergent that any of you use to keep weeds in your gravel drives in check? We had 10" of rain in July and already have had 2 1/2" in August and the weeds are going nuts. It's mostly crabgrass, goosegrass and Mexican sandburrs (goatheads) but there are lots of low spreading weeds that look like sandburrs without the stickers. My house and landscape plantings are downhill from the drive so I hesitate to put down a sterilizer. Anybody have any suggestions?

Edited by Shoxthemonkey
can't spel for shit

13 hours ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

Sorry. I do use glyphosate but it only kills what is already sprouted. Less than a week later there is more green to cover the brown. I need something to stop the germination. I use Preen in my landscaping but I can't afford to use it on almost an acre. I'm lower tier surly.

Casoron is what I have used when I lived in a house with a large(relatively speaking) gravel driveway and parking area

Not sure of the cost effectiveness for the area you are trying to treat.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, Llano Estacado said:

“3 day weekend, lots of chores to get done. Plus we’d like to leave a little free time in the late afternoon to swim or try for some dove.

Stop. What was that?”

{cattle}lulz fuck your plans. Look at me! I gotta pretty necklace! Look at me, I’m doing dumbass bull calf things. Moooo! 419e14946e483a627adb5e09e1a7621f.jpg

04d341b2ab5aaa8313535d3719f4e22d.jpg

Least they are hardy.  G-father used to bitch about his sheep:  "born looking for a way to die" was one of his go-to phrases.  

“3 day weekend, lots of chores to get done. Plus we’d like to leave a little free time in the late afternoon to swim or try for some dove.

Stop. What was that?”

{cattle}lulz fuck your plans. Look at me! I gotta pretty necklace! Look at me, I’m doing dumbass bull calf things. Moooo! 419e14946e483a627adb5e09e1a7621f.jpg

This song is always appropriate when dealing with cattle:

On 9/8/2020 at 10:26 AM, Llano Estacado said:

Stop. What was that?”

The world would be much less fun without bull calves. 

I worked farm and ranch full time for the last seven years... Focusing on mobile welding now but it occurred to me that you might’ve worked in ranching too long when:

You drive by other peoples ranches and you start counting their cows as you pass by on the highway 🤣 Hey, wait where’s the bull!? Catch myself doing that a lot 

On 8/10/2020 at 8:16 PM, Shoxthemonkey said:

Sorry. I do use glyphosate but it only kills what is already sprouted. Less than a week later there is more green to cover the brown. I need something to stop the germination. I use Preen in my landscaping but I can't afford to use it on almost an acre. I'm lower tier surly.

Cimarron is very low cost & kills over 100 different types of weeds iirc. It will even kill horehound (which sprouted up like mad in our overgrazed deer pens) and cimarron won’t kill your grass. I believe it has a pre-emergent action also. 

Edited by Marfa Low Crown
They make two of them iirc & one has 2 4 D (not oak safe)

Noticed my tenant’s friendly Brahma bull was limping this week. Tenant came and got him Friday.

Bull has an abscess in his foot that they are going to try and treat. They hope he can recover and come back in a couple of months, but there’s no guarantee he won’t end up as hamburger, either. 

My kids are sad - they liked that guy a lot. 

3 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Noticed my tenant’s friendly Brahma bull was limping this week. Tenant came and got him Friday.

Bull has an abscess in his foot that they are going to try and treat. They hope he can recover and come back in a couple of months, but there’s no guarantee he won’t end up as hamburger, either. 

My kids are sad - they liked that guy a lot. 

Kids are always intrigued by Brahman cattle since they looked different. Little do they know what an ass whooping they can be. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/13/2020 at 5:25 PM, Errestaurants said:

Kids are always intrigued by Brahman cattle since they looked different. Little do they know what an ass whooping they can be. 

Guess who came back last week? Kids are ecstatic. And he came right back looking for a handful of cubes as soon as he saw us. Cows seem happier too, since he's back just in time to start witnessing the results of his hard work last spring. 

IMG_5268.jpg.a4309d200108e83650bcdc77a5a019b6.jpg

IMG_5223.jpg.07703450ec82c86c7ef65bd7285659cf.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Guess who came back last week? Kids are ecstatic. And he came right back looking for a handful of cubes as soon as he saw us. Cows seem happier too, since he's back just in time to start witnessing the results of his hard work last spring. 

IMG_5268.jpg.a4309d200108e83650bcdc77a5a019b6.jpg

IMG_5223.jpg.07703450ec82c86c7ef65bd7285659cf.jpg

Looks good. Always liked grey Brahmas. V8 and Hudgins have some high dollar/front pasture types. 

On 12/9/2020 at 8:24 AM, BabaYaga said:

Cute little fella' right there

His mama is the most charismatic cow out there. Not afraid to "talk" to humans who come by and ask to get her nose rubbed or a stray cube. 

She is the one who had a calf die last spring and she stood over the carcass for a week before anyone could get close enough to take it away.  This new little guy seems to be doing pretty well and having luck so far. He's going to need it to keep up with his mom. 

All corrientes and the gray brahma bull. The calves thus far are very interesting looking. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

His mama is the most charismatic cow out there. Not afraid to "talk" to humans who come by and ask to get her nose rubbed or a stray cube. 

She is the one who had a calf die last spring and she stood over the carcass for a week before anyone could get close enough to take it away.  This new little guy seems to be doing pretty well and having luck so far. He's going to need it to keep up with his mom. 

All corrientes and the gray brahma bull. The calves thus far are very interesting looking. 

Corrientes do make great great. great mamas.  This little guy has some really cool markings.  Then we have a group of them messing around.  Then he have "crooked horns".  She is a bit wild.  Yet NEVER loses a calf.  She's not wild enough to cull, but you have to keep an eye on her and she'll use those horns.  She's always positioned back a little....with "that look" in her eye when she has a little one with her.

Calf.JPG

Calf group.jpg

Calf & mama.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Considering a sellout. The market sucks rn and the government over most of the past decade just always seems to be looking for a way to make it harder for the cattle industry to survive. Guess they want to import all our beef from Brazil as well. Maybe they'll come around and let China in at some point. 

It's especially difficult if you rely on a bunch of leases (and some of your own land). Not only the small margins (who's kidding, rn just straight up burning money), but the state will give property tax exemptions to just about anyone who want to claim it. In other words, the filthy rich are buying all the ranches in the hill country to "protect" their money and then kicking out ranchers but still getting exemptions though the wildlife department. We don't need more deer around here. There's already way fucking too many. My nephew has hit 4 deer on hwy 71 this year alone. You don't even have to feed the deer.  One corporate exec is getting the exemption for putting up some pvc with holes in it and claiming to feed the birds. Yet, there's never even any feed in these handmade pvc "feeders". /rantover

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Kurt Bowels said:

Considering a sellout. The market sucks rn and the government over most of the past decade just always seems to be looking for a way to make it harder for the cattle industry to survive. Guess they want to import all our beef from Brazil as well. Maybe they'll come around and let China in at some point. 

It's especially difficult if you rely on a bunch of leases (and some of your own land). Not only the small margins (who's kidding, rn just straight up burning money), but the state will give property tax exemptions to just about anyone who want to claim it. In other words, the filthy rich are buying all the ranches in the hill country to "protect" their money and then kicking out ranchers but still getting exemptions though the wildlife department. We don't need more deer around here. There's already way fucking too many. My nephew has hit 4 deer on hwy 71 this year alone. You don't even have to feed the deer.  One corporate exec is getting the exemption for putting up some pvc with holes in it and claiming to feed the birds. Yet, there's never even any feed in these handmade pvc "feeders". /rantover

On the flip side, there are those of us who bought small pieces of busted up ranches and are trying to keep them from getting subdivided.   There are not many good options.

• Like 1

My FIL raises sheep. I think they mainly end up as barbacoa. He doesn't really make any money on them, but they keep the grass down and he enjoys messing with them. He has one lamb right now that is about a week old that has no tendons or something in it's front knees (technically wrist joint or whatever). It was a twin that was probably born prematurely and the other didn't make it. At first it walked on it's front knees, but now it has learned to kind of almost walk normal. We will probably barbeque it in a month or so.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2020 at 10:34 AM, Balcones said:

Anyone here raise sheep?

Grandfather raised them along with goats for years and years.  His favorite expression:  sheep are born looking for a way to die.....

They are a handful and susceptible to so many things.  Many of Texas' early immigrants from Europe raised nothing but sheep/goats.  Cattle came much later and saw the spike in numbers with the advent of the bard wire fence.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...