Cattle & Ranching

Errestaurants

It's dry in the hill country.  What else is new?  Cows ran through half the hay stash this winter, and without some rain soon this year's hay crop will look pretty thin.  If that comes to pass, we'll be looking at thinning the herd by November.  We've got a good looking bunch of calves, though - hope they can put on some weight.

This fits nowhere currently. Basically we’re all shoving each other over FEMA cots. Be patient. Pee in the corner. Heat up your chili mac. Forum trailers are on the way. 

And $1.80/lb?  What was he, 300 pounds?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EtOH said:

Cripes. I need a new bull but danged if I’m paying Peter North money. 

Yep. I went to mount pleasant 2 weeks ago and bought a new bull at the Northeast Texas Hereford Sale. Bought a bull and heifer. Wrote a check for $6200.  Sold some like I said at tge barn to help off set the costs. 

Year is off to a very good start.

Ended the year with 4 calves leftover. By mid January had 6 more. Got 3 more this month.

Did lose a older heifer this month, though. She got down and couldn't get up. By the time I got there it was too late.

Edited by Brothahorn

49 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Year is off to a very good start.

Ended the year with 4 calves leftover. By mid January had 6 more. Got 3 more this month.

Did lose a older heifer this month, though. She got down and couldn't get up. By the time I got there it was too late.

Dang that sucks losing the calf. Been there.  Glad to hear everything else is good.

48 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

How do you big dealers even round up these days?   Four wheelers?  Long gone are the days of riding a horse using a rope to haze them into the loading chute, I guess. Maybe not. Would like to know.  I haven’t sat a horse in at least 10 years.  

We use horses. Of course feed sack broke cattle that you can bring into a catch pen is good. Most likely you need a good catch pen with a wing and feed them in there.

3 hours ago, Reese Bennett said:

I miss my carefree youth baling hay in the summer. Wait, no I don’t. That shit was hard work. Carry on.

Haha.  Don’t miss that.  Worst was feeding in winter, and coming up on an old south-facing running shed and thinking “oh yeah I’ll crawl in there and warm up for a bit,” and then you get in there and some old cow had died under it and is decomposing.  I have a wonderful story about an old man trying to pull one out with a Ford 9n and a chain.  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Errestaurants said:

Sounds like a good plan. Hopefully the grass is green and thick. Intensive grazing and rotating is a great way to use resources and good land management. 

If I can get a place bought this fall, I'm hoping to get a much more permanent grazing feeding set up put together. The idea is to convert an old dairy into the base of operations.

11 hours ago, Royalfan5 said:

If I can get a place bought this fall, I'm hoping to get a much more permanent grazing feeding set up put together. The idea is to convert an old dairy into the base of operations.

where are you located? i run angus/brangus in and around cedar creek lake area.

14 hours ago, Errestaurants said:

Sounds like a good plan. Hopefully the grass is green and thick. Intensive grazing and rotating is a great way to use resources and good land management. 

I'm in Chase county, Kansas, in the heart of the Flint Hills. If we don't get some rain soon it will be one of the worst grazing seasons in a long time. It's been so dry that most of the pastures are not burned yet. I think it has been better north of I-70

17 hours ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

I'm in Chase county, Kansas, in the heart of the Flint Hills. If we don't get some rain soon it will be one of the worst grazing seasons in a long time. It's been so dry that most of the pastures are not burned yet. I think it has been better north of I-70

been there with the drought. we had a bad one couple years back. once it started raining it didn't stop, I didn't complain. ill pray for some rain up your way. 

16 minutes ago, Errestaurants said:

wow thats great. some great grazing up there historically. we have some nice pasture where I'm at. 

It's really hard to understate how great the Nebraska Sandhills are for cows. You might have a shorter grazing season, but you have spring fed hay meadows to compensate.

• Like 1

Well, we had good rain this year
Dad fed in some Charolais steers
got them way cheap out of Texas
Because of the drouth
We put them out on oats
They hadn't yet grown their winter coats away down south

It was barely even fall
But that blizzard got them all
Left them sprawled across the pasture Stiff as boards
You take a sharp knife in your hand
Skin them out while you still can
And curse the lord

Edited by baboso
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, baboso said:

Well, we had good rain this year
Dad fed in some Charolais steers
got them way cheap out of Texas
Because of the drouth
We put them out on oats
They hadn't yet grown their winter coats away down south

It was barely even fall
But that blizzard got them all
Left them sprawled across the pasture Stiff as boards
You take a sharp knife in your hand
Skin them out while you still can
And curse the lord

nice. 

30 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

my feelings are still hurt that no one responded to my belted galloway post on the last thread.  i'm boycotting this thread, but am with ya'll in spirit. beef is what's for dinner.

what was the question? belted galloway's makes good tasting meat. right up there with dairy cattle.

• Haha 1

Had to wade into a creek to wrap a chain around a dead and bloated cow.  The oily, rainbow film of death juice floating around the cow was almost as awesome as being in the water while it was 38 degrees outside.  Ah, nothing like country life.  

15 minutes ago, Chooky said:

Had to wade into a creek to wrap a chain around a dead and bloated cow.  The oily, rainbow film of death juice floating around the cow was almost as awesome as being in the water while it was 38 degrees outside.  Ah, nothing like country life.  

thats tough. i had a cow struggling couple years back. she ended up laying down on a small island in the middle of a tank. leg of calf was hanging out, we chained it and the leg came off. 

7 hours ago, EtOH said:

Damn. He’s out of my league. That’s prime on the left. And I don’t remember seeing whitefaces like that around here. You’re in business. 

We raise brangus, retain the heifers, and then put the Hereford on those. Little ultra black to with brangus over red angus.