Cattle & Ranching

Errestaurants

On 5/10/2018 at 9:54 AM, SHOOTER12 said:

O.K. all you cattle folks, how many cattle per acre can you graze  on good grazing land in East Texas around Nacogdoches/Lufkin area?

Call the Overton TAMU Research and Extension. They would be able to give you the info you are looking for and help you get a plan to establish pasture.

Cutting hay and its not a good start. Im hearing its pretty lite everywhere. If we don't get some rain hay prices are going to be high come late fall/early winter. I would be buying what you need for the winter now or at least partial and see what happens weather wise over the next couple months. Still some good prices from last years crop available. 

2 hours ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

You still there? I have to go to KanEquip in Herington before close to get repair parts for my Ford 2120. I live 20 minutes south of Herington.

I was there at noon. Ran back to White City and Alta Vista after that 

• 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

I got a tentative spot for my steers on the Sheridan Co. August video sale with Superior Livestock for September delivery 

Dang Bud that's awesome! remind me, are you putting together loads from barns? individual sellers?  do you run cattle on your farm also? probably the best cattleman from a pure businessman standpoint is Pete Bonds and he doesn't run cattle in the pure sense of the definition. no cow/calf, purebred genetics operation just stockers and buying loads to put on feed. 

16 minutes ago, Errestaurants said:

Dang Bud that's awesome! remind me, are you putting together loads from barns? individual sellers?  do you run cattle on your farm also? probably the best cattleman from a pure businessman standpoint is Pete Bonds and he doesn't run cattle in the pure sense of the definition. no cow/calf, purebred genetics operation just stockers and buying loads to put on feed. 

I’ve got buyer I use that works Central NE barns and then I take them where I can get the best bang for my buck on gain. For now that’s going north. Also do the hedging for a number of farms and feeders in NE, KS, SD, IA, CO, and MN 

8 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

Calf price is hanging in there pretty good but the cull cow market has gone to complete shit.  I don't understand the correlation, I guess.

Too much grass burned up early this year and we can only kill so many cows at a time. If I could find some space I’d go buy a  bunch of cull cows put some cheap weight on them and dump them in six weeks