Cattle & Ranching

Errestaurants

Cutting hay and its not a good start. Im hearing its pretty lite everywhere. If we don't get some rain hay prices are going to be high come late fall/early winter. I would be buying what you need for the winter now or at least partial and see what happens weather wise over the next couple months. Still some good prices from last years crop available. 
That is crazy, when I think about seeing folks cutting and baling in the middle of October last year. I don't recall ever seeing it that late before.

We bought a 100 bales, just to make sure we don't get caught in the price hike. Thinking about buying another 25, now that we have 6 over sized goats(horses) to feed this year.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

That is crazy, when I think about seeing folks cutting and baling in the middle of October last year. I don't recall ever seeing it that late before.

We bought a 100 bales, just to make sure we don't get caught in the price hike. Thinking about buying another 25, now that we have 6 over sized goats(horses) to feed this year.

It’s looking real bad. I’d be buying now. Prices are already going up. With the way it’s going all the hay to be fed this year is coming from the southeast US. Lots of places in Texas are burnt up already. Looking like 2011 all over again. 

2 minutes ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

We aren't going to put our prairie hay up this year. Too thin to mess with. The neighbor has turned his few cows in on it and they can have what they can get from it. If you go 30 miles east from here the grass is much better, that's what rain do.

Where u at?

On 6/13/2018 at 8:57 PM, Shoxthemonkey said:

I haven't used any of Muellers stuff but they are one of our customers. We built the equipment that they use to make all of their trim and several of their panels. Good guys to work with for what that's worth.

Edited by Errestaurants

3 minutes ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

Hah, I had to google goatweed to see what it is. Don't think we have it here. WebMD says it's therapeutic for low libido and ED. You might want to cash crop that instead of killing it.

Lol. That stuff is the Devil. Gets out of control and loves black gumbo dirt.

5 minutes ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

There are lots of Angus around here. One of my cousins has a registered herd over by Cottonwood Falls. I don't have any livestock of my own anymore. I rent my ground to the youngsters and play golf.

U sound alot smarter than me! Lol. We run Brangus, Red Angus and crossbreeds with a Herford Bull thrown in the mix. 

I've always been intrigued by Brangus. The wife and I bought a pot of Brangus heifers back in the 70's and put them out on some really good grass by Cassoday, KS. I have never seen animals gain on grass the way that they did. I was tempted to hold some of them back and start a cow herd but needed the cashflow more than I needed a herd so off they went. We still talk about what might have been.

16 minutes ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

I've always been intrigued by Brangus. The wife and I bought a pot of Brangus heifers back in the 70's and put them out on some really good grass by Cassoday, KS. I have never seen animals gain on grass the way that they did. I was tempted to hold some of them back and start a cow herd but needed the cashflow more than I needed a herd so off they went. We still talk about what might have been.

Yea they really work in our conditions having that ear in them. Love making baldies with the mommas. They can be a little high headed though. You can't play "Cowboy" with them. Nice and easy when working them. 

• Like 1

For sure. My FIL would always buy anything that came through the ring with a little ear. Other folks were scared of them I guess. He was a damn good stockman but I never saw him rope or hassle any animal. Always had vanilla wafers in his truck to spoil the critters. They would follow him anywhere. Only time I ever saw him mad was when a bullhauler kept using a hotshot on every steer going easily into the trailer. Told him once to stop it and then took it from him when he didn't. Pretty funny.

Thanks for letting me reminisce for a bit. FIL would have been 100 a week ago today. Just got a little dusty in my office.

Edited by Shoxthemonkey
  • Like 1

Seriously? Well shit, I'm about to retire. That shit is everywhere in our field.

Hah, I had to google goatweed to see what it is. Don't think we have it here. WebMD says it's therapeutic for low libido and ED. You might want to cash crop that instead of killing it.

• 2 weeks later...

We got rattled by an earthquake last night. Probably from the fraccing activity in the area. The barncats were acting weird all evening, following us around like a shadow and trying to get in the house whenever we went inside. They are never allowed in and never tried to get in up til then. I'm not sure how closely they position the pin on the map but we live within a couple miles of where they stuck it. Had to straighten a couple of crooked pictures on the wall and the salt shaker fell from the top of the stove.

#neverforget

https://www.earthquaketrack.com/p/united-states/kansas/recent

Edited by Shoxthemonkey

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Not going to comment on this other than it sucks for farmers and ranchers who own John Deere products already.  

https://www.wired.com/story/john-deere-farmers-right-to-repair/

yep. its all about owning the software and everything being powered off that. Everything mechanical works off that shit more and more. Pick your color of tractor and this is going to be the way of life and because of this Deere and their vast dealer network is becoming more powerful cause you can't find Randy Joe Blow in town that can touch software problems even though he can fix the mechanical issues----maybe. Kubota right behind Deere in that regard. 

If you're mechanical your are better off finding a PRE DEF/emissions/software color of tractor--Green or Orange that is low hour and going with that. Problem is the dealers are offering a lot of 0% incentives to attract new buyers. a lot of people find that hard to pass up. We bought a new 5085e couple years back and have had a couple of minor annoying issues like last week the joy stick fell apart and couldn't use it until we found the bolt holding the whole thing together. 

Luckily tractors last forever. We still have tractors from the 60's running strong on our family's land. Once I get a place myself I'm going to do my best to stay away from anything overly electronic. Besides, you gotta be cheap to consistently make money in most agricultural ventures.
Not all tractors are made equal especially today. All the emission stuff with tier 4 engines has been the problem. Making money in AG? Whats that? Better not have a payment on the land or equipment.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

We have had 8" of rain in the last 72 hours. Soybean harvest was just getting started for the early planted crop and the post-wheat crop is still a ways off yet. This will do some damage in the bottom land to the winter wheat crop that was planted 2-3 weeks ago. Non-terraced fields are washing away as per usual. It looks like all of the stock ponds in our area will be full for next season if you want to see a silver lining.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Missed this thread.  Father and I recently exited the black angus market market.  Sold around 40 in Angelo and washed our hands of it.  To maintain our ag exemption, leased to my cousin who's running this damn Mexican corriente cattle.  Mexican roping steers.  Like smaller, uglier longhorns....that are a**holes and get into damn near everything.  Small.  Trim.  Hardy.  Can jump or go through fences with minimal effort and are fractured into smaller groups that self-segregate...so rounding them up is that much more of a chore.  Nothing else to add, other than I hate those little bastards and I'm counting down until his lease is up.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Missed this thread.  Father and I recently exited the black angus market market.  Sold around 40 in Angelo and washed our hands of it.  To maintain our ag exemption, leased to my cousin who's running this damn Mexican corriente cattle.  Mexican roping steers.  Like smaller, uglier longhorns....that are a**holes and get into damn near everything.  Small.  Trim.  Hardy.  Can jump or go through fences with minimal effort and are fractured into smaller groups that self-segregate...so rounding them up is that much more of a chore.  Nothing else to add, other than I hate those little bastards and I'm counting down until his lease is up.  

No cattle of our own but our tenant has some corrientes (trying to keep our ag exemption too). They are indeed pretty ugly. Went through a span right before Christmas where were four babies born in a week. Two of them in the middle of the day at the same time on a Saturday afternoon. We stood at the fence and watched the whole thing. Pretty cool. 

The corriente bull isn't very big but damn he looks mean as hell. No so much ugly as tough. Like the smallest guy on the football team who is also the hardest hitter. I'm not messing with him. 

4 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

No cattle of our own but our tenant has some corrientes (trying to keep our ag exemption too). They are indeed pretty ugly. Went through a span right before Christmas where were four babies born in a week. Two of them in the middle of the day at the same time on a Saturday afternoon. We stood at the fence and watched the whole thing. Pretty cool. 

The corriente bull isn't very big but damn he looks mean as hell. No so much ugly as tough. Like the smallest guy on the football team who is also the hardest hitter. I'm not messing with him. 

Problem we're having is with hunting.  They get into EVERYTHING.  Cows will be cows..  But these are like a Longhorn's second-cousin from Oklahoma that led a life of Meth and gas station malt liquor.  Ugly.  Mean.  Skinny.  Horns are all crooked and discombobulated.  Ribs showing.  Wild eyes.  And they are hell on fences.  As these are roping steers, they have be close to yearling age to sell, so these little hyper "tweeners" are the worst.  Big enough to cause trouble with the energy of a young calf and nimble enough to clear any fence.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Problem we're having is with hunting.  They get into EVERYTHING.  Cows will be cows..  But these are like a Longhorn's second-cousin from Oklahoma that led a life of Meth and gas station malt liquor.  Ugly.  Mean.  Skinny.  Horns are all crooked and discombobulated.  Ribs showing.  Wild eyes.  And they are hell on fences.  As these are roping steers, they have be close to yearling age to sell, so these little hyper "tweeners" are the worst.  Big enough to cause trouble with the energy of a young calf and nimble enough to clear any fence.  

That is the most thought out description I’ve ever seen for those little fuckers. 

23 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

got damned, i thought i was reading cormac mccarthy.  

• Like 2