Shall we talk about heavy music?

Patricio Swayze

On 12/7/2019 at 8:39 AM, Istian said:

I'm really enjoying new Cattle Decapitation man - I know people usually don't like when bands add clean vocals but I think Travis Ryan does it right. 

It's very good.  The BangerTV review is hilarious, I hadn't hear of goblin singing before that, but it makes complete sense and that's all I can think of it now.

• 2 weeks later...

Spirit Adrift is a band I keep seeing show up on lots of Metal Album of the Year lists. Reminds me a lot of the The Sword. Definite Ozzy/Priest/Maiden vibes with a heavier, doomy-ier sound, IMO. Ending riff that starts at 3:55 is my cup o' tea. 

Full album streaming here, have yet to skip a song: https://spiritadrift.bandcamp.com/

Interesting side-note: The frontman of Spirit Adrift is also the lead guitarist of death metal band, Gatecreeper, which also got a lot recognition this past year. He played all instruments except drums on the album. Pretty sure that's the lead singer of Gatecreeper playing bass in the video. 

Edited by Storm the Field
  • Like 2

I guess I'm in a mood where I'm really digging new bands' takes on the classic 80's metal sound. Saw this video on Metal Injection's weekly highlights that came out every Friday morning (great source to find new metal btw.) Ended up listening to the entire album and started another that was released just last year.

Sounds like if Maiden wrote songs that ultimately appeared on  Ozzy's Bark at the Moon or Ultimate Sin albums.

Edited by Storm the Field
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Kvelertak and Haunt are bands that I've given multiple chances, but just can't get into.
On the other hand, I saw Lucifer and Savage Master last night and really enjoyed both bands.

Utrydd dei Svake and Mjod are kickass Kvelertak songs, but the language barrier makes them hard to get into.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Yep.  Not their best work, but good.  Interesting to see what the drums are like without Adler.  Did we ever figure out why he quit?

It's largely a mystery. Adler was involved in a motorcycle accident several years ago which he was undergoing a recovery process and allegedly was able to begin playing drums early back in 2019 then he was replaced and Randy refused to comment. Neither the band or Adler himself have shed any light on the situation.

4 minutes ago, Chad said:

It's largely a mystery. Adler was involved in a motorcycle accident several years ago which he was undergoing a recovery process and allegedly was able to begin playing drums early back in 2019 then he was replaced and Randy refused to comment. Neither the band or Adler himself have shed any light on the situation.

I heard he also recommended the replacement.  So it seemed to be kind of mutual?

6 minutes ago, Bigpoppapump said:

Interesting.

The truth is that, I am unwilling to paint by numbers

There is an ambiguous concept in our world of “selling out”. I cannot define that outside of my personal understanding, but know that being trapped in a "creative" formula and/or playing the same song 10,000 times did not bolster my love of playing. I’m never been one to “phone it in.”

I was not given a choice in this and my dream is alive.

From the author:

If you allow me to speculate, it seems like Adler wanted to try new things and experiment on the album and the band was not interested in changing up their sound too much, leading to the disagreement. It also sounds to me like the band made the decision to move on without Chris and may not have notified him until after they made the decision.

So maybe not so mutual?

23 hours ago, Thujone said:

Bro. I've been jamming their latest album and it's a total gem. Thanks man. It's the first new thing I've heard in a long time.

Album they put out in 2017 is also worth a listen. LIttle slower and more doomy, but I dig it.

https://spiritadrift.bandcamp.com/album/curse-of-conception

Poor sales so far -- Denver show Groupon $35 for lower level tier -- check your local city for similar deals

$20 for lawn or 100 level in Atlanta. Yikes.

The venue is 3.4 miles from my house and I like In Flames and Megadeth but not Trivium or Lamb of God. Maybe I’ll go day of and see what I can find.