Shall we talk about heavy music?

Patricio Swayze

On 12/24/2020 at 5:25 PM, THUJONE said:

I'm a Zeal and Ardor fan. It's black metal about atrocities against black people. It also happens to be really really good when they go heavy. Tuskegee. This guy has some pipes. 

Zeal & Ardor is one of my favorite bands. I saw them with Baroness and Deafheaven a couple years ago and they kinda stole the show. This is their most evil song in honor of post #666.

On 1/13/2021 at 12:43 PM, Mr. White said:

Zeal & Ardor is one of my favorite bands. I saw them with Baroness and Deafheaven a couple years ago and they kinda stole the show. This is their most evil song in honor of post #666.

That's baller. I just love his approach. Totally out of left field, unfettered by the usual trappings. Great shit.

• 3 weeks later...

Avatar is a such a great band worth checking out if you're not familiar with their work. They've been around since the 2000's but didn't gain attention in the US until the mid 2010's with their Feathers and Flesh album which took the band in a new direction. Their earlier work was strictly heavy with harsh vocals, Feathers and Flesh incorporated a more melodic sound yet loosely retaining a heavy sound. The vocalist can change his voice quicker than the flick of a light switch, he's impressive.

From their Black Waltz album which is arguably their best album you can feel the singer's emotion in this one and this is one of the best portrayals of what Avatar used to be,

This is my favorite Avatar tune also from the Black Waltz album if you didn't know this was a Swedish metal band with the riffs you'd think it was a Southern Metal band.

This is where the band took a huge shift with their sound and in my opinion it was for the better and demonstrates how versatile Jonas can be and that he isn't a one trick pony that can scream.

This one has hints of AC/DC to it and demonstrates Jonas' wide vocal range.

Lastly here we are in the present I feel these two tracks are perfect representations of where Avatar has been and where they're going.

Edited by Chad
  • Hook 'Em 1

Anybody who's into Ghost should check out Tribulation. They're also from Sweden and they've toured with Ghost. They've put out 3 solid albums in a row starting with Children of the Night. 4 albums if you count their live album.

If you like this, then check out the album Children of the Night from 2015.

Then check out Down Below from 2018. Then they made a live album. I recommend listening to that one later.

Then check out Where the Gloom Becomes Sound. That one came out last week.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

I love them. They are awesome live as well, with a good show and killer live tone.

They aren’t as heavy as you might think from their appearance, way more of a 70s rock vibe.

Turn this up loud and just listen to that opening. Glorious.

My favorite part is telling people to read the lyrics. First time I heard Ritual or Year Zero, I was like wtf is he singing, read the lyrics and felt Satan caress my buttox. 

I love them. They are awesome live as well, with a good show and killer live tone.

They aren’t as heavy as you might think from their appearance, way more of a 70s rock vibe.

Turn this up loud and just listen to that opening. Glorious.

No link.

I’m not familiar with Ghost, where should I start?

No link.

I’m not familiar with Ghost, where should I start?

I actually started with them at the Meliora album when Cirice got all the buzz and the Grammy nod. But there are some good tracks on the first two albums too, like Ritual and Year Zero.

But Meliora and Prequelle are a cut above IMO. Some don’t like their poppy-ness but I love the whole spectacle, even the campy stuff. The show I caught on the Prequelle tour was a blast.
  • Like 1