Shall we talk about heavy music?

Patricio Swayze

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Just listened to that new song above.  Sounds like Evanescence or something.  Not my thing.

exactly what i thought. Used to have a predominantly desk job where the guy that sat behind me played some Evanescence CD on a loop, not loud but audible. I hated that job.

but not as much as I hate Evanescence.  

On 5/2/2019 at 4:13 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

I am a big Sepultura fan and long ago wrote of Soulfly as pretty awful. I just checked out their most recent album Ritual and it is pretty fucking great. In fact it sounds like a lost Sepultura album.

Thought that first Cavalera conspiracy disc was solid.

On 2/27/2019 at 10:30 PM, Buzzrock said:

Megadeth is better than Metallica. Change my mind.

In terms of musicianship and things off that sort, Megadeth has always been superior. But Metallica was more successful for a couple reasons. First of all, they were the first thrash band, so they were at the head of the pack. 2nd, despite James having a limited vocal range and such, his vocal style was just plain enjoyable. No one ever says "I like Metallica's music but hate the singer". Sometimes Dave's voice turns people off. And third, Metallica's big accomplishment (was) outstanding songwriting, and for the first few albums, progressing. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Maybe not heavy enough for this thread, but certainly not pop.  Saw them Saturday at Hotel Vegas.  Hell of a set, live.  Drummer is fantastic.  They apparently opened for Sleep somewhat recently as well.

I don’t know much about them, I think I learned about them from a Mastodon interview on Spotify. But I love this song:

It’s definitely heavy.
  • Like 1

Guess who's back with another new album? Doesn't have the wow factor of Rotting in vain, but it's a decent track. This album was sooner than I expected after Jon Davis released a solo album last year touring extensively to promote it along with the death of his wife.

22 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Any Deafheaven fans in this thread? I had tickets to see them but came down with strep throat in college. Still pissed about it. 

Deafheaven rules, although I actually prefer New Bermuda and Ordinary Corrupt Human Love to Sunbather. All three are great, though.

20 minutes ago, Bodowned said:

Deafheaven rules, although I actually prefer New Bermuda and Ordinary Corrupt Human Love to Sunbather. All three are great, though.

New Bermuda is my fav. Just posted what first got me into them. 

I need to give Ordinary Corrupt a few more listens. 

• Like 1

You either love Korn or you hate them there's no in-between, we all have our own unique tastes and Metal has countless sub genres. Korn was the only metal band to ever experience any consistent success on the boy band/pop artist/hip hop dominated TRL and enjoyed so much success to the extent that the MTV execs had to invent a rule that required a song be retired after so many weeks on the countdown to get them off the air so they could push their marketable music down your throat. Long live Nu Metal!

8 minutes ago, Chad said:

You either love Korn or you hate them there's no in-between, we all have our own unique tastes and Metal has countless sub genres. Korn was the only metal band to ever experience any consistent success on the boy band/pop artist/hip hop dominated TRL and enjoyed so much success to the extent that the MTV execs had to invent a rule that required a song be retired after so many weeks on the countdown to get them off the air so they could push their marketable music down your throat. Long live Nu Metal!

giphy.gif

• Like 2