Shall we talk about heavy music?

Patricio Swayze

Agree.  There are so many sub-genres that cater to different tastes.  That's one thing that makes metal great.  I have a very specific type of metal that really works for me, but I try not to begrudge anyone else's preferences either. 

Except Korn, because fuck that band.

• Like 2

Some crazy pairings in that one, but sure looks fun, even if it does seem to lack a cohesive quality.  I'm jealous.
Be sure to check out Fever 333.  Their recorded stuff is kind of 'eh,' but they were perhaps the most energetic live band I've seen in some time.  Fun set that most folks were talking about later.

Saw ‘em last year, they definitley have a RATM-inspired vibe that’s pretty fun live.

There’s sooooo much metal now that it’s hard to keep up if you’re an old fart like me (47) who is in the family/career/suburbs bubble. I used to be MUCH more critical of music in general: I liked what I liked and everything else sucked. But I’ve tried to come off of that as I’ve gotten older and try to find something to hear in most anything. Sometimes I want fast food and sometimes I want molecular gastronomy.

The only music I’m completely hostile toward now is bro country. Florida Georgia Line and the like. Complete abomination. Heavy metal doesn’t make me angry, bro country makes me angry.

• Like 3

There’s sooooo much metal now that it’s hard to keep up if you’re an old fart like me (47) who is in the family/career/suburbs bubble. I used to be MUCH more critical of music in general: I liked what I liked and everything else sucked. But I’ve tried to come off of that as I’ve gotten older and try to find something to hear in most anything. Sometimes I want fast food and sometimes I want molecular gastronomy.

The only music I’m completely hostile toward now is bro country. Florida Georgia Line and the like. Complete abomination. Heavy metal doesn’t make me angry, bro country makes me angry.
Then definitely don't check out country rap

Metal is one of the few genres that keeps expanding and moving forward. There are others, but so much music seems to have stagnated while metal keeps growing and morphing. It's not as popular as it once was, but there are some truly fantastic bands out there doing innovative and crushing stuff. Liquid Metal is a great go-to for some of the highlights of current metal, if you want an easy way to keep up with some of the new stuff.

• Like 1

Regarding popularity: the hair metal era was probably the peak of mainstream popularity, but metal still seems to be hugely popular. There are countless genres and bands now and every show small and large seems to draw a crowd. Metal fans are intensely supportive of their bands and usually pretty welcoming to newcomers in my experience. I wonder if metal is bigger business now than in the 80s-90s despite the lack of “radio” popularity.

So a buddy of mine came through Austin with an extra ticket to see The Ruins of Beverast, Dispirit, and Yellow Eyes last weekend at Barracuda. I don't listen to black metal at home, but I do love a good metal show. Ruins of Beverast was among the loudest, and probably the most punishing live set I've ever seen. Just a full on assault. Fucking awesome. Really, really dug Yellow Eyes, as they had some intricate/mathy guitar shit going on that wasn't just punishing chord after chord. Really interesting shit. Highly recommended. I thought Dispirit was pretty good but they really didn't seem to do anything that isn't being done. At least to my untrained ear. 

Lots of tours hitting ATL this summer.  Saw the Chasm and Cruciamentum about 10 daya ago. Both were outstanding, even with the chasm down a guitarist.  

Khemmis and cloak are playing Friday, as are Usnea and Chrch.  Then tomb mold and superstition on Sunday. 

Author And Punisher - industrial music in the purest sense. This dude makes his own machines that make those sounds, some pretty interesting shit about his methods on the youtubes. He's playing in Austin next month with 3Teeth.  Gonna need to see that in person.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2019 at 1:36 PM, MC Fresh Breath said:

Stoner Rock/Metal which has probably already been put in here.  Saw this band open for Elder last year.  They have a newer (2018) one out, but digging this one lately:

Quoting this post for reference.

For those in Austin, King Buffalo is playing Hotel Vegas on Nov. 15.  Given how small that venue is,  might be good to go ahead and purchase in advance.

3Teeth is growing on me. Bit of a ripoff of Ministry and Marilyn Manson but still digging it. They are playing through Texas in a couple of weeks with Author & Punisher linked above. 

Saw them open for Tool a few years ago, good show. They’re interesting. The singer is actually kinda funny on stage too. At the end of of “Pearls 2 Swine” he said, “Fuck terror, right guys?”

7 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I just heard a new Metallica song. Goddamn, these guys should have just hung it up 30 years ago. Terrible.

Their latest album was terrible. I'll admit I find Death Magnetic bearable and liked several of the songs, it was a breath of fresh air after the abomination known as St Anger.

• Like 1

What was the song? I wasn’t aware they had anything new.

Well shit. Hahahahaha, this goes to show how little I care about Metallica these days. I looked up the song and it is in fact from their last album. It was “Moth into Flame”. I got in my wife’s car to get it inspected and she has XM. On Ozzy’s Boneyard they played the song and the DJ was talking about how it was new and from their forthcoming album. I guess it was an old repeat of a program. Weird.

Regardless, it sucked ass.

Carry on.