Urban Meyer and all of Ohio suck.

Parliament

11 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

Say what you want but Urban gets the Ohio Stste - Michigan rivalry.   His Gold Pants speech today. 

Humbled to be in front of you again. I’ve been part of this rivalry since I was this big [holds hand up to waist]. So I get really upset when I see people come into the program and they don’t appreciate it, they don’t respect it, and, uh, that bothers me.

And I can speak on behalf of you guys who have been here. I cannot speak on behalf of you guys in the back because you don’t yet. Some of you know a little bit about it. But this is a rivalry that in the 10-Year War, there was guy named Bo Schembechler who was the coach at the Team Up North, he’s actually from Ohio. And then a guy named Woody Hayes, and he was the coach here.

And I lived that rivalry in 1986-87 when I was a coach here and I lived this rivalry away coaching in other places. Came back here and, and I’ve been at USC vs. Notre Dame, Florida vs. Georgia, Florida vs. Florida State, and all due respect to all of them out there - that ain’t anything like this.

So it really bothered me when I heard a player for the other team come out and guarantee wins, and Revenge Tours, and shit like that, and I remember those days and my head almost popped off my shoulders. That’s disrespecting the rivalry. And I think - everyone listen real close, this is in our DNA, this will never change: How do you really show respect for a rivalry?

Think about it. Very simple question, complicated answer. How do you show respect for a rivalry?

Is it a tee shirt, is it uh - some guy, that Kamara (Ed. Meyer likely meant Michigan running back Karan Higdon, not Saints running back Alvin Kamara) that asshole that said they were going to win the game and said “I guarantee it” or that defensive end, really good player, Revenge Tour Almost Done so he’s going to group us with Wisconsin or Penn State or something like that?

How do you really show respect for a rivalry? And all due respect, maybe some up there don’t understand that. You work that [expletive] every day. Every day. You walk in that staff room - this is for the new coaches, you know who they recruit. You know what they’re doing every day. What I ask Mark Pantoni - who are they recruiting? Who are they going after? What is their practice schedule? What are they doing? Are we outworking them?

So I’ll say this again. How do you respect a rivalry? You work it every day. You don’t shoot your mouth off. If I ever hear, whatever’s going on, I hear a player take a shot verbally at them - that’s a problem. How do you show respect for a rivalry? You work it every [expletive] day. Not by tee shirts. Not by bullshit.

When I see people giggle about how we don’t wear blue in here - I don’t laugh about that. We don’t have blue pens in here. That’s not funny. This is Nike vs. Adidas, this is Coke vs. Pepsi, this is Ohio State vs the Team Up North. This is our livelihood.

So if you're new to the program - welcome to the program. Understand where you’re at. This is not a game. This is not silly. This is a way of life. There’s a bunch of former players in the back [of the room] that lived it. As you move up, you live it. This is who you are.

You never lose to those pricks. Ever. Ever. And you work it every day. And I don’t give a shit if you’re from California or Texas or whatever, as soon as you say you’re a Buckeye this is part of your life for the rest of your life - and you don’t lose to those pricks. You beat them every day. Every day.

This will always be a player’s program. What you guys did in that game, to put a beating on that team like they’ve never had a beating before in the history of that program - very good program, by the way - you notice how we talk about them, right? Is that a good program up there? Great program. Good players up there? Great players. Great coaches? Great coaches.

That’s the way you respect a rivalry. Then you outwork them and then you kick that ass like it’s never been kicked before. And that’s what you did."

Link to entire article:  

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2019/07/105065/how-do-you-respect-a-rivalry-urban-meyer-final-gold-pants-speech

29 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

Say what you want but Urban gets the Ohio Stste - Michigan rivalry.   His Gold Pants speech today. 

Humbled to be in front of you again. I’ve been part of this rivalry since I was this big [holds hand up to waist]. So I get really upset when I see people come into the program and they don’t appreciate it, they don’t respect it, and, uh, that bothers me.

And I can speak on behalf of you guys who have been here. I cannot speak on behalf of you guys in the back because you don’t yet. Some of you know a little bit about it. But this is a rivalry that in the 10-Year War, there was guy named Bo Schembechler who was the coach at the Team Up North, he’s actually from Ohio. And then a guy named Woody Hayes, and he was the coach here.

And I lived that rivalry in 1986-87 when I was a coach here and I lived this rivalry away coaching in other places. Came back here and, and I’ve been at USC vs. Notre Dame, Florida vs. Georgia, Florida vs. Florida State, and all due respect to all of them out there - that ain’t anything like this.

So it really bothered me when I heard a player for the other team come out and guarantee wins, and Revenge Tours, and shit like that, and I remember those days and my head almost popped off my shoulders. That’s disrespecting the rivalry. And I think - everyone listen real close, this is in our DNA, this will never change: How do you really show respect for a rivalry?

Think about it. Very simple question, complicated answer. How do you show respect for a rivalry?

Is it a tee shirt, is it uh - some guy, that Kamara (Ed. Meyer likely meant Michigan running back Karan Higdon, not Saints running back Alvin Kamara) that asshole that said they were going to win the game and said “I guarantee it” or that defensive end, really good player, Revenge Tour Almost Done so he’s going to group us with Wisconsin or Penn State or something like that?

How do you really show respect for a rivalry? And all due respect, maybe some up there don’t understand that. You work that [expletive] every day. Every day. You walk in that staff room - this is for the new coaches, you know who they recruit. You know what they’re doing every day. What I ask Mark Pantoni - who are they recruiting? Who are they going after? What is their practice schedule? What are they doing? Are we outworking them?

So I’ll say this again. How do you respect a rivalry? You work it every day. You don’t shoot your mouth off. If I ever hear, whatever’s going on, I hear a player take a shot verbally at them - that’s a problem. How do you show respect for a rivalry? You work it every [expletive] day. Not by tee shirts. Not by bullshit.

When I see people giggle about how we don’t wear blue in here - I don’t laugh about that. We don’t have blue pens in here. That’s not funny. This is Nike vs. Adidas, this is Coke vs. Pepsi, this is Ohio State vs the Team Up North. This is our livelihood.

So if you're new to the program - welcome to the program. Understand where you’re at. This is not a game. This is not silly. This is a way of life. There’s a bunch of former players in the back [of the room] that lived it. As you move up, you live it. This is who you are.

You never lose to those pricks. Ever. Ever. And you work it every day. And I don’t give a shit if you’re from California or Texas or whatever, as soon as you say you’re a Buckeye this is part of your life for the rest of your life - and you don’t lose to those pricks. You beat them every day. Every day.

This will always be a player’s program. What you guys did in that game, to put a beating on that team like they’ve never had a beating before in the history of that program - very good program, by the way - you notice how we talk about them, right? Is that a good program up there? Great program. Good players up there? Great players. Great coaches? Great coaches.

That’s the way you respect a rivalry. Then you outwork them and then you kick that ass like it’s never been kicked before. And that’s what you did."

The guy is an incredible coach, and an equally incredibly shitty person.

• Like 2

I worried that he mostly wanted to beat Michigan because he had to if he wanted to win a NC for himself. But our performance in the Game last year proved me wrong. You don't DISMANTLE a good team like that if you didn't spend 11 months preparing.

That punt block for TD? They start scouting for thinks like that the Sunday after the previous year's Game.

• 4 weeks later...

More stuff being released to public...

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27311205/meyer-texts-urged-smith-stay-spurn-alabama 

Meyer texts urged Smith to stay, spurn Alabama

"Former Ohio State football coach Urban Meyer encouraged troubled staff member Zach Smith to stay with the Buckeyes in January 2018 when Smith was offered a coaching position at Alabama, according to a text message exchange released by OSU on Friday afternoon."  

Meyer fired Smith roughly six months later after reports about Smith's volatile and allegedly abusive relationship with his ex-wife became the final straw in a career marked by behavioral issues. Ohio State investigated Meyer shortly after Smith's firing and suspended him for mishandling previous issues with Smith and for misleading the media when he was asked about Smith's conduct. Meyer retired after the 2018 season.

On Friday, more than 11 months after the university concluded its investigation, Ohio State released to the public more than 2,000 pages of documents that were reviewed by investigators as part of the inquiry into Meyer. Among the text messages and emails was one conversation during which Meyer told Smith in January 2018 that they "got u thru the s---" and that he wanted Smith to stay on staff in Columbus, Ohio. Smith, according to the text messages, was offered a position as passing coordinator on the Alabama staff.

"I have personally invested far too much in u to get u in position to take next step," Meyer wrote. "U need to step away from other situation and let's go win it all... again."

Alabama coach Nick Saban said Saturday that while the Crimson Tide did interview Smith, he was never offered a position.  "I really never did ever offer this guy a job," Saban said. "We did interview him. ... When we did a background check we decided it was better to hire someone else."  Saban said it's common when people get interest from other programs to "use that as leverage" against their current employer.

Edited by LTtxfan

Also USA article...  includes Urby mentioning Texas recruiting.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2019/08/02/urban-meyer-texts-alabama-offered-ex-osu-zach-smith-job/1904854001/   

Quote:  "Much of the unredacted portion of Meyer's text messages revolve around recruiting. In April 2018 while Smith was purportedly on a recruiting trip, Meyer cautioned him to be careful with a "bump," which is recruiting parlance for a coach running into a player outside of prescribed contact times under NCAA rules.  The rationale Meyer gave was that "Texas is all over," suggesting he was concerned that Longhorns coach and former Ohio State offensive coordinator Tom Herman would be eager to turn the Buckeyes into the NCAA for a rules violation."

2nd Quote in article:  ""I am worried about Zach's response," Shelley Meyer, Urban Meyer’s wife, wrote in a text message July 23, 2018: “He drinks a lot and I am just not sure how stable he will be. Afraid he will do something dangerous. It's obvious he has anger/rage issues already."

Edited by LTtxfan

• 2 weeks later...

My sentiment is the same. I don't recall where the "THEE" thing started, but so what. Big deal.

Regarding the trademark, the University has always had a Nazi Gestapo in our trademark department. Several years ago we sued Ohio University for the exclusive right to put "Ohio" on a t shirt. (We may have won that fight too. Not sure.) I do not endorse that.

On 8/4/2019 at 12:54 AM, LTtxfan said:

Via those texts Urban ultimately decided he wanted Smith to stay because he had so much invested in rehabilitating him and losing an asst to Saban would’ve been an ego blow. That’s a real window into his psyche.

...and if you don't keep your pig in your own pen, there's no telling what slop will be spread around...or where.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, alincoln said:

James Franklin to USC is the new rumor.  

Why would Franklin leave? USC won't give him better money or facilities, he's built something great at PSU but still had unfinished business, the PAC is struggling, the cost of living out there is crazy, the pressure/ expectations are higher, and the fans are much less dedicated.

Why would Franklin leave? USC won't give him better money or facilities, he's built something great at PSU but still had unfinished business, the PAC is struggling, the cost of living out there is crazy, the pressure/ expectations are higher, and the fans are much less dedicated.

COL doesn't matter one bit when you're pulling in the kind of money a top tier CFB coach is. Loaded is loaded. I'm sure LA has State College beat on quality of life in that tax bracket, though that certainly is in the eye of the beholder at the individual level. He also wouldn't have to work as hard recruiting, which could be the bigger draw. Massive local talent base and less competition. It's universally considered a top five job for a reason, it's easy to believe he'd be interested.

Thst said, I'm with you in that he probably stays put at PSU. He has them competing for Big Ten titles and playoff berths. Those coaches don't usually walk.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I can't think of one reason why a coach who hires his assistants based on how hot their wife is would want to be in LA instead of PA.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

47 minutes ago, LTbear said:

The best reason for a move is that he wouldn't have to compete with Ohio State to win his division.

• Like 1