Urban Meyer and all of Ohio suck.

Parliament

8 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

If you think that's bad, you ought to try Cornhusker vegetarian chili.  It's bean soup with chocolate added to it for "flavor."  This Husker fan I know entered it into an office chili cook-off and - wouldn't you know -  it won (Midwest thing you just wouldn't understand), so now she brings it to every pot luck.  I told my wife that it just won a plurality from people who don't like chili.

Shit like this is why people punch puppies and kick kittens. I blame Ohio and their goddman "chili" for any cases of animal abuse outside of the state of Texas. Within the borders, it's safe to blame aggy.

Instead of being judgmental people should remember all of the times they ruined an entire sport at a major university by stocking it with a herd of sadistic thugs, murderers and thieves and then faking severe illness as a way to get as far from it as possible.  He who lives in a glass house probably constructed it with crystal methamphetamine.  That's a lot of meth and the last thing you want to do is draw attention by throwing rocks around. 

• Like 2

On 3/28/2018 at 8:48 AM, F250 said:

It is an abomination.

Slow-Cooker-Cincinnati-Skyline-Chili-14.

I was gonna make fun of it, but I just can't. Somebody's little gramamma made that for them, and no, she couldn't cook, but she loved her itchy little Ohio grandbaby, and she cried when she cut up those onions.

Why are there noodles? It's what she had, maaan. It's what she had.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

I bet if you live in Ohio you probably don't think the US is all that great.

Depends.

I was at lunch with some customers in Canton a few years ago. Two of them were young guys in their 20's. They asked me a billion questions about Austin. It was like we were in a post-apocalyptic movie and I was visiting from the utopian safe zone that required a journey through a zombie infested wasteland to reach.

I told them they had really good skill sets and could easily find work in Austin. Why not move? Their attitudes were very fatalistic, people born in Canton were meant to live in Canton, they said. They did say they would love to visit Austin one day.

Shit was just sad.

2 hours ago, F250 said:

Depends.

I was at lunch with some customers in Canton a few years ago. Two of them were young guys in their 20's. They asked me a billion questions about Austin. It was like we were in a post-apocalyptic movie and I was visiting from the utopian safe zone that required a journey through a zombie infested wasteland to reach.

I told them they had really good skill sets and could easily find work in Austin. Why not move? Their attitudes were very fatalistic, people born in Canton were meant to live in Canton, they said. They did say they would love to visit Austin one day.

Shit was just sad.

Probably too scared of the Mexican to move down here.  The fact that brown people are showing up in the midwest now is what has everyone up there freaked out.

2 minutes ago, angelos's frog said:

Probably too scared of the Mexican to move down here.  The fact that brown people are showing up in the midwest now is what has everyone up there freaked out.

My guess is they know what to expect from the heroine they're getting form their Canton connect. Moving to a new place can be scary... especially now that so much Fentanyl is in showing up in smack. 

<the more you know.gif>

11 minutes ago, angelos's frog said:

Actually, the guys I met were ok with it. They took me to Mexican place for lunch in a very authentic Mexican neighborhood. I swear it felt like I was eating lunch at a place on the Southside in San Antonio. It was like they carved out a piece of San Antonio and transplanted it in Ohio. The guys were very grateful for the introduction of new food and culture. Granted, these were college education CS majors in their 20's not 40 something year old steel workers.

I really didn't understand their reason for staying but it was some type of obligation to family and Company mindset. There seemed to be a cradle to grave type loyalty to the company they worked at, very weird.

4 hours ago, F250 said:

Actually, the guys I met were ok with it. They took me to Mexican place for lunch in a very authentic Mexican neighborhood. I swear it felt like I was eating lunch at a place on the Southside in San Antonio. It was like they carved out a piece of San Antonio and transplanted it in Ohio. The guys were very grateful for the introduction of new food and culture. Granted, these were college education CS majors in their 20's not 40 something year old steel workers.

I really didn't understand their reason for staying but it was some type of obligation to family and Company mindset. There seemed to be a cradle to grave type loyalty to the company they worked at, very weird.

All the adventurous ones already moved to Atlanta.

I have inlaws in Pennsylvania. When I'm there, I'll go down to the local bar and just listen. Local guys, mostly union. Every now and then they'll mention some friend who left to move south. They say things like "What's he gonna do in South Carolina? Sell apples out of a truck by the side of the road?"

I'm thinking "he's probably in South Carolina working his ass off setting up his own company", but what's the point.

3 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

All the adventurous ones already moved to Atlanta.

I have inlaws in Pennsylvania. When I'm there, I'll go down to the local bar and just listen. Local guys, mostly union. Every now and then they'll mention some friend who left to move south. They say things like "What's he gonna do in South Carolina? Sell apples out of a truck by the side of the road?"

I'm thinking "he's probably in South Carolina working his ass off setting up his own company", but what's the point.

Wife and I have had a similar to this conversion since being recruited to the Midwest. Are these people all descendants of those too scared to seek better opportunities or all descendants of first born males from 100 plus years ago?

The 'imprinted' on the area you were born fascinates me as I lived in 5 states by the time I was 18 and don't get it whatsoever.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

I think it's more a "factory folk" mentality than anything regional. Among my people the men have all sorts of professions; doctors, electricians, accountants, plumbers, storekeepers-- the common thread is they need to get out there and get after it to make their living. My first time visiting a mill town (uncle was "the computer guy" in the plant) it was a different vibe, like going into a Hive Mind. Instead of lots of individuals trying to get ahead in life and build up businesses, even humble ones, you had whole swaths of people who walked into a big box at the same time every day, did the exact same tasks, then went home at the exact same time. And seemed to like it.

So, that wouldn't be everybody in any given state, but I bet it's heavier in the old Rust Belt.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Parliament said:

Former head coach, Earl Bruce passed away yesterday at 87.  He was HC here from 1979 through 1987 and was fired for losing too many games, especially to Michigan.  As assistant coaches, he counts Urban Meyer, Pete Carroll and Nick Saban.

And Jim Tressel, Mark Dantonio, Dom Capers and Joe Bugel. Helluva list.

Holy shit.  Look at all these NC's won by Earl Bruce protege's:

2002: Jim Tressel
2003: Nick Saban/Pete Carroll (split decision)
2004: Pete Carroll
2005: Mack Brown
2006: Urban Meyer
2007: Les Miles
2008: Urban Meyer
2009: Nick Saban
2010: Gene Chizik
2011: Nick Saban
2012: Nick Saban
2013: Jimbo Fisher
2014: Urban Meyer
2015: Nick Saban
2016: Dabo Swenney
2017: Nick Saban

12 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Cincinnati chili is not the defining food of Ohio. Boring ass Bob Evans crap is. Imagine your great-grandmother's cooking minus any spices. 

The whole state is catered by Hungry Man. Airplane food..

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRa8CJiyQuIfjm9EvQHDH2

Sir, I beg to differ.  And it's obvious you've never had my mother's green bean casserole.

Every time I see this thread I recall the story from the very first Ozzfest tour when Ozzy didn't show up for the Columbus show..

The other bands started playing Sabbath songs and the crowd wasn't having it, Phil Anselmo got on the mic "FUCK YOU COLUMBUS OHIO!!!"

I don't think I could express it better myself.

• Haha 1

Ohio does indeed suck, and Ohio State is probably tied with Notre Dame right behind OU and Aggy on my "Most Hated Teams" list, but..... Cincinnati (particularly Over-the-Rhine) is actually a really cool city.

Also, while Ohio State is ostensibly less rapey than PSU and Baylor, that's likely just because it's hard to perpetrate rape on a burning couch.

43 minutes ago, Waterface said:

Also, while Ohio State is ostensibly less rapey than PSU and Baylor, that's likely just because it's hard to perpetrate rape on a burning couch.

Some dumbfuck OSU fan somewhere accepts your challenge

Edited by Bevo14

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/9/2018 at 11:08 AM, F250 said:

Depends.

Shit was just sad.

I had a similar conversation with a Columbus native in '05 re: good looking, fit women.  He talked longingly and wistfully of a theoretical woman who didn't have a butter face or a lump figure meant for sweater weather or pasty white skin.

1 hour ago, Scholz said:

I had a similar conversation with a Columbus native in '05 re: good looking, fit women.  He talked longingly and wistfully of a theoretical woman who didn't have a butter face or a lump figure meant for sweater weather or pasty white skin.

There's good reasons why nobody there gives a shit.

• Like 1