Trouble for Big Bad John

Bozo_Casanova

Wrote a check to MJ Hegar this morning. Yes, I still write checks. I'm 43 and this is only the second candidate (other than for judicial offices) to whom I've ever made a campaign contribution.

The Republican party no longer represents my values, and we have to vote them out of office. It's important to this country and to the future of Texas.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Bookman said:

Wrote a check to MJ Hegar this morning. Yes, I still write checks. I'm 43 and this is only the second candidate (other than for judicial offices) to whom I've ever made a campaign contribution.

The Republican party no longer represents my values, and we have to vote them out of office. It's important to this country and to the future of Texas.

Nothing wrong with supporting Hegar.  If possible you should also look to support state rep candidates. Sometimes those elections are decided by hundreds of votes if not less.  I know that a Houston state rep Bohac (R) won by 72 votes in 2018. Money can go a much longer way in smaller races.  

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Nothing wrong with supporting Hegar.  If possible you should also look to support state rep candidates. Sometimes those elections are decided by hundreds of votes if not less.  I know that a Houston state rep Bohac (R) won by 72 votes in 2018. Money can go a much longer way in smaller races.  

Someone said this after 2018 maybe it was you NGE.  It's great advice imo. I've started looking into who I want to support in these smaller races next year.  

Seems to be able to get more value for your money this way.

I've already donated to MJ and probably will again along with a few pres. candidates.

lower approval and lower disapproval than cruz.  weird.  almost as much undecided about a multi-term senator as either the approves or disapproves.

Kinda makes sense. When Beto was running, I was asked if I would be supporting him so strongly if he were running against Cornyn. At the time, I said no. I haven’t always agreed with his policies, but I’ve felt he was a good representative of our state. Since then, my opinion has shifted dramatically. Once he really started the bootlicking, particularly by not standing up to Trump about the wall, he lost me. He’s not as bad as a lot of the Rs, but I no longer feel that he’s representing the good of our state.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

And the Texas House is extremely winnable in 2020.  There's 11 competitive seats in Houston alone.  Abbott thinks there could be upwards of 2 dozen competitive seats. 

On 11/1/2019 at 4:28 PM, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

lower approval and lower disapproval than cruz.  weird.  almost as much undecided about a multi-term senator as either the approves or disapproves.

Well Cruz is better recognized than Cornyn.

Simply because Cruz overcame the enormous challenges of his father helping kill JFK, and naming him Rafael!

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

This guy really really needs to go. Representing Texas with this kind of logic is embarrassing not only in that he cannot seem to understand he kind of linked Parnas to Giuliani to Trump to oligarchs and therefore Parnas is not to be trusted but that he actually knows it is screwy logic and doesn't care. Anyone who has been observing events knows this, but one would think with his seat being a little more uncertain, he might show some restraint. He's all in, is Cornyn.

Cornyn (per the FEC, I looked him up) has $2,934,000 in individual contributions (itemized) and $1,059,000 in unitemized contributions. That's a lot of unitemized dollars with no trail. He also has $1,175,000 in committee contributions plus $2,400,000 in transfers from other committees (all numbers rounded). What is fascinating and perhaps one of you politically savvy folks could explain why: if you go back to the 2013/14 election which he won with 61% of the vote, he had an amazing amount of itemized individual contributions: $6,495,000 but only $558,000 in unitemized contributions. Weird?!

• Like 1

On 11/1/2019 at 4:28 PM, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Name recognition. Everyone, for the most part, knows Ted's name. They hate him or they love him. But he has name recognition.
Cornyn, he's just there. Noone really hates or loves him.

9 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

Name recognition. Everyone, for the most part, knows Ted's name. They hate him or they love him. But he has name recognition.

Well, then....folks need to get to know him.

He's the family truckster of Senators: "You think you hate it now, wait till you drive it."

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, relapse98 said:

i disagree. Cornyn is by far the worse of our two senators in terms of his impact on the country. On the other hand, his office is pretty good in terms of constituent services. Not as good as KBH, but he's lifting for two, and he deserves credit for trying at the individual citizen level.  

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

23 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

i disagree. Cornyn is by far the worse of our two senators in terms of his impact on the country. On the other hand, his office is pretty good in terms of constituent services. Not as good as KBH, but he's lifting for two, and he deserves credit for trying at the individual citizen level.  

You disagree that people don't know his name? ok. Because I can't figure out how you got anything other than name recognition out of that post. His office may be great, but his name recognition good or bad, is approaching zero, which is why he has a low approval and disapproval - noone knows a thing about him.

Edited by relapse98

Just now, Brisketexan said:

....but not to solicit those foreign governments to provide assistance in a US election. See, that’s a crime. Cornyn’s as shitty a lawyer as he is a senator.

And to think he was a supreme court justice.  Mind bottling.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

....but not to solicit those foreign governments to provide assistance in a US election. See, that’s a crime. Cornyn’s as shitty a lawyer as he is a senator.

BINGO, asking a foreign government to interfere is a US Presidential election is TREASON AND PUNISHABLE BY DEATH !

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

He is genuinely afraid of what he will find.

Yep. Obviously every GOP Senator wants the impeachment behind them ASAP. But some of them are not either going to be too intellectually dishonest (Romney) and some face tough elections (Collins.) For those senators, they needed a clean opening argument free of surprises. That would have given them cover to say no to witnesses and then acquit Trump. 

Now that the WH failed to disclose the Bolton manuscript, some of the senators are in a tough place. And it adds to the worry that this won't go away quickly.  Assuming Bolton testifies, he may bring up statements that are being disputed so another witness, who might fight a subpoena, is next. That starts to drag this process out.

This is why I agree that a trial shouldn't be the place to have live discovery but that was the path the WH forced.  I wouldn't be shocked if the trial ends early next week or into March.  We're into the unknown now.

If Cornyn would actually sit down with a neutral or left journalist, he would be torn apart on his impeachment stance within a few minutes.

6 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If Cornyn would actually sit down with a neutral or left journalist, he would be torn apart on his impeachment stance within a few minutes.

We've seen what happens when people like Cornyn, et. al sit down with competent neutral or left journalists. They have temper tantrums and start name calling and worse. Fox is their safe space.

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

He is genuinely afraid of what he will find.

no he isn't. he knows exactly what is what. he is a fucking liar. and it isn't curiosity that is the problem. he is being disingenuous at best. the same as ted cruz's performance for the john bolton question the other day. he knows the truth, and he's intentionally dissembling, because he took that russian nra money also. they are all in the pot together, and i think when trump goes down, they know for a fact that he'll drag them and the whole fucking party with him. so they have to lie. 

it's as simple as that. i used to have a pretty good opinion of cornyn. hell, i voted for him in 2014 and in 2008, and probably 2002, when i was much more republican oriented. but he's revealed himself as a piece of shit in the trump presidency. maybe he always was, but trump really has seemed to bring out the worst in republicans, and john cornyn is no different. 

so in all fairness, @Bozo_Casanova, i don't give a fuck about his constituent services any longer. i'll never vote for the man again, and will probably contribute to mj. 

• Like 8

10 years ago I thought that Cornyn was doing a decent job. Ted Cruz was and always will be a complete whore.

There is really only one option, go down with the Trump ship.  Ironically it's possibly the only way he won't win re-election in the general in Texas if the sham boosts turnout. Even the voter suppression efforts won't be enough! It's sad for me to watch one after one, each Republican Senator toss away all sense of honesty and a search for truth. But it is what it is. 

On a bright note-

He says about 1 million more Texans are registered to vote than in 2018, when Beto O'Rourke and Ted Cruz conducted their high-profile Senate campaigns.

"We're almost about 2 million more voters than we had four years ago during the presidential race," Wallace says. "It's almost like we added Connecticut – all of their voters in the state of Texas in the middle of a presidential cycle." 

"I think it was about one-third of all new registers are under 25," Wallace says. "And younger voters are skewing Democratic right now."

https://www.kut.org/post/voter-registration-texas-reaches-record-16-million 

I think that if the Senate doesn't make a serious effort at a fair trial, the 75% that wanted fairness, are gonna turnout.  

Edited by horn4life
  • Like 1

When Cornyn was put into Senate leadership, it appeared to me that his allegiance shifted more away from Texans and to the GOP party only. Perhaps it was already there, but he was started following his ambition and not his duty.  And I get that to some extent because McConnell can't have a rogue senator as the 2nd or 3rd in command. 

I hate that but it's a reality of politics.

It may be the way it works in real life, but it doesn't mean you can't recall someone's a** back home to remind them who they serve. If they want to serve big money then create a scene from which big money can't hide. But Cornyn, I agree, he has slid down the path so far he isn't turning back.

Straying off topic to Cruz, though-I watched him as he approached the press area two days ago to take questions. He pulls up, takes the question and turns and looks straight into the camera with his rehearsed lines. It was a not too shabby acting job but because it is Ted, you can spot his tells and it drives me nuts. The blatant lying that is being tolerated is giving some aspiring tyrant a lot of notes in what to do in the future if given the opportunity. Someone out there is coming that is just as smart and dishonest as Ted and a lot better at appearing sincere.

I've told this story at least a couple of times on here and TOS. Many years ago when my ex-wife was a young librarian at the State Law Library in the Capitol Complex, the only complaint I can recall that she ever had about her job there was how Cornyn's AG office lackeys were the absolute worst about returning their books back on time. She was absolutely convinced then, and it turns out correct now, that he was a bad, bad man.

• Like 4

I used to defend him. But the orange Cheeto dust on his lips every day; let's just say no....