Kansas State hires North Dakota State's Chris Klieman as head coach

Machinator

Missed this info on K-State game vs Arky State...

Pat Forde:  "The Wildcats were without “nearly two dozen players and most of their scholarship wide receivers,” according to the Wichita Eagle. But Arkansas State was down nine starters itself."

3 thoughts on Kansas State football's 35-31 loss to Arkansas State

Ryan Black rblack@themercury.com.  7 hrs ago

1)  Putting things in perspective

No team ever will play flawless football. Particularly in an opener. This K-State squad had even greater justification for faux pas given that it didn't have a chance to hold a single practice this spring. (Another casualty of the coronavirus.) Those 15 sessions likely would have done wonders for an offensive line that had to replace all five starters from the 2019 campaign.

Throw in all the COVID-related chaos — from those who tested positive and (obviously) missed the game to those held out because they were close contacts — and it was all but certain the Wildcats would have their share of miscues Saturday. They were without a pair of receivers from the two-deep depth chart in Wykeen Gill and return man extraordinaire Joshua Youngblood. Sophomore defensive end Khalid Duke, who had drawn rave reviews from coaches and teammates during preseason camp, was sidelined as well.

Oh, and the offensive line? Starting center Noah Johnson, the new leader of the unit, hurt his wrist during the game, forcing the group to reshuffle the lineup. Two more starters, nickelback Jahron McPherson and strong safety Wayne Jones, also exited the loss with injuries.

The only problem with those excuses? Arkansas State had to battle many of the same issues.  Yes, the Red Wolves at least had a handful of spring practices before the rest were canceled by the spread of COVID-19 in the U.S. in the middle of March. And yes, they already had one game under their belts (a 37-24 loss at Memphis on Sept. 5) prior to arriving in Manhattan.  But according to ASU beat writer George Stoia III, who covers the team for the Arkansas Democrat Gazette, the Red Wolves were missing 13 members of their two deep Saturday, including a whopping nine starters. Yet they still persevered to pull the four-point upset.

While K-State's roster lacked its usual depth Saturday, the bottom line is there isn't a way to explain around losing to a Sun Belt Conference team down that many starters — even if the foe regularly is among the best Group of 5 programs around. 

Speaking of which ...

2) Consider the opponent

This isn't double talk. K-State shouldn't have lost to Arkansas State Saturday. You don't pay a six-figure guarantee to a smaller school for them to come into your own stadium and eat your lunch.  But keep in mind that the Red Wolves aren't a team awed by playing Power 5 schools. Yes, they had lost 20 consecutive matchups against Power 5 foes dating to 2008, when they topped Texas A&M in College Station, Texas.

Yet what Arkansas State represents is a program accustomed to winning. The Red Wolves have won seven or more games each of the last nine years (2011-19); they've also earned bowl berths each of those nine years. They've never had a losing campaign under seventh-year head coach Blake Anderson, who picked up his 48th victory at the school Saturday. They've won five of the last nine Sun Belt Conference titles, earning it alone in 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2015 and claiming a piece of it in 2016 alongside Appalachian State. 

And the Red Wolves once were a "cradle of coaches" in the 2010s: Three consecutive coaches turned one-year, conference-championship-winning tenures into jobs at bigger schools. Hugh Freeze went to Ole Miss after capturing the Sun Belt in 2011, Gus Malzahn accomplished the feat in 2012 and left for Auburn and Bryan Harsin completed the hat trick in 2013 before departing for Boise State.

"But Ryan, Arkansas State already lost to Memphis this year! Why couldn't K-State do the same?" you ask, irritatedly.

The truth is, Memphis likely would beat K-State right now, too. The Tigers are ranked No. 16 — trailing only Cincinnati (No. 13) and Central Florida (No. 14) among Group of 5 schools — in the latest Associated Press poll for a reason.

If K-State wanted a no-sweat opener, schedule no-doubt cupcakes. (Like Missouri State, a team which had won just 13 games the past five seasons entering Saturday and promptly was pounded by Oklahoma 48-0. Or Eastern Kentucky, a program still looking to recapture the glory it once had under legendary head coach Roy Kidd, that West Virginia sent home with a 56-10 loss Saturday.)

To be sure, easier opponents were out there than the pesky Red Wolves.

The Wildcats found that out the hard way Saturday.

3) Glimpses of the future

The news wasn't all bad for the Wildcats, however, especially as it pertains to its underclassmen.  Before Wayne Jones' injury — one that, thankfully, turned out to look a lot scarier than it ultimately was, as he later announced he only had a concussion and "some other minor things" — he had recovered a fumble and tallied six tackles, tied for a team high. He's a sophomore.

Will Jones II, no relation to Wayne, had blocked a punt and intercepted a pass. He's a redshirt freshman.

In fact, half of K-State's top-six tacklers Saturday have two more years of eligibility remaining: Wayne Jones, third-year sophomore linebacker Daniel Green and third-year sophomore defensive back Lance Robinson. 

On offense, the bright spots shined every bit, if not (in one specific case) more, brilliantly.

True freshman quarterback Will Howard came on at the end of the third quarter with Skylar Thompson banged up. After ASU linebacker Justin Rice rocked Howard for a loss on Play 1, he came back the very next play and delivered a 24-yard strike to fullback Jax Dineen. Afterward, K-State head coach Chris Klieman praised Howard's ability to shake off a negative play so quickly and respond with a top-flight throw one snap later.

And Howard didn't even take "top true freshman" honors Saturday.

That accolade goes to running back Deuce Vaughn, who led the Wildcats in rushing yards (47 on 12 carries) and scored his first career college touchdown in the second quarter. During Klieman's time on the Big 12 coaches teleconference Monday, he called Vaughn "the best player on the field for us" against the Red Wolves.

While a win might be hard to come by before the end of the month — K-State does open Big 12 play Sept. 26 at the colossus that is Oklahoma — there should be plenty more victories in the future as long as Howard and Vaughn are suiting up for the Wildcats.

https://themercury.com/k_state_sports/3-thoughts-on-kansas-state-footballs-35-31-loss-to-arkansas-state/article_ad4062e4-f49b-59c3-ad26-22b9d4e8c20b.html

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

Deuce Vaughn, son of Chris Vaughn  (fomer Texas Football Asst Coach) 

How Deuce Vaughn issued a memorable performance in his debut

By D. SCOTT FRITCHEN Sep 13th

The date was February 14 and Deuce Vaughn, still a high school senior, wearing Kansas State gear, held court with young football players inside the Round Rock Multipurpose Complex.  The 5-foot-5, 168-pound Vaughn, wearing that purple, long-sleeve Nike t-shirt with a silver Powercat, sounded like a coach, or at least like a seasoned college football player, as Vaughn stood before these campers at the Texas Youth Football All-Star Showcase. The words flowed.

“For you young guys, everything you do Monday through Sunday is a process,” Vaughn said. “Everybody knows you come out and play games in front of the lights, but what you do between Monday and Sunday is what’s going to make you great.  “I wake up every morning and stive to be my greatest at what I do.”

Vaughn put his words into action on Saturday. Before Vaughn embarked on his first-career college football game, K-State seniors said that Vaughn was the most mature true freshman they’d ever been around and K-State running backs coach Brian Anderson said that Vaughn had exceptional hands and K-State head coach Chris Klieman said that the game wasn’t too big for Vaughn, which, really wasn’t that big of a surprise when discussing Vaughn with Cedar Ridge (Texas) High School head coach Sam Robinson, who said, “Deuce is extremely rare.”

Then there’s Chris Vaughn, Deuce’s father, a longtime college football assistant coach and current Dallas Cowboys scout, who told his son over and over again through the years, “Football is like an ATM machine! You can only withdraw what you deposit, period!”

So, yes, if you listened to Chris Vaughn and if you listened to Sam Robinson and if you listened to Chris Klieman and if you listened to Brian Anderson and if you listened to Justin Hughes then Vaughn’s performance in the first game of his college career came as no shock at all, really.

He has the work ethic, he has the talent.  And now he has the action to match the words.  Truth is, not since the great Darren Sproles has a K-State offensive player of Vaughn’s stature put on such a show.  On Saturday, Vaughn became the first true freshman in K-State history in at least three decades to score a touchdown in his first game. He led K-State in both rushing and receiving after the first quarter of the first game of his career. His first carry came with 6 minutes, 56 seconds left in the first quarter. He made an initial tackler miss (and it won’t be the last) and skated 12 yards (and it won’t be the last) for a first down (and it won’t be the last).

9922466.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offs The K-State student section yelled, “DEUUUUUCE!” (And it won’t be the last.)   Vaughn scored his first touchdown less than three minutes into the second quarter, darting off tackle and shooting three yards toward the goal line like a bullet.  “Last night I went to bed dreaming about scoring my first touchdown in Bill Snyder Family Stadium and playing for the Wildcats,” Vaughn said after the game. “It’s surreal. I look forward to doing it over and over again.”

Vaughn finished as K-State’s leading rusher with 12 carries for 47 yards and one touchdown while running behind an offensive line with five new starters and that is the youngest offensive line in the nation. Check the record books and find another true freshman led K-State in rushing yards in a season opener. You won’t find it. Check and see the last time a K-State true freshman was on the two-deep at running back entering the first game of his career. Not even Sproles did that.

“When the kid is in the game,” Klieman said, “everyone gets excited and knows that something special could happen.”

How’s that happen? It goes back to what Chris Vaughn preached to his son. Football is like an ATM machine. Vaughn cashed in with one of the greatest performances by a true freshman running back in decades because of everything that he put into football and into K-State long before he even arrived in Manhattan.

When Vaughn was addressing those kids back at the All-Star football camp on February 14, only a few people knew it, but Vaughn was already investing and saving it up so it would pay dividends at just the right time.

He showed that during his first game.

“I signed my letter of intent around December and I ended up getting the playbook and my iPad and stuff in February, so just right then I took it day-by-day, chunk-by-chunk, and just looked at everything and didn’t get ahead of myself and try to look at too much and took it step by step by step,” Vaughn said. “I looked at all the installments they had in 2019 camp.  I knew if I did that I would give myself a great opportunity to be able to play early.”

If you believe the college coach, the college running back, the college senior, the high school head coach and the father, this is going to be an unbelievable ride, and students will yell “DEUUUUUCE!” on fall Saturdays for four years, and Vaughn will make highlights, and turn heads, and be a constant headache for opponents.

But for now, let’s remember Vaughn is a true freshman, and understand that he, while blessed with talent, jitterbug moves, and all-around ability that we haven’t seen at K-State in nearly two decades, is still trying to digest his first time on the field, his first carry, his first touchdown.

“Whenever I got the opportunity and I hit it and I got into the end zone,” Vaughn said, “I didn’t know what to think.”  Truth is, he’d been preparing for moments like these his whole life.  Saturday was just his first opportunity at K-State to cash in.

(And it won’t be the last.)

https://247sports.com/college/kansas-state/Article/Kansas-State-football-true-freshman-running-back-Deuce-Vaughn-set-impressive-marks-during-his-first-college-game-151392649/

On 9/9/2020 at 11:39 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

Arkansas State is supposed to be decent, right?

Go Wolves.  KSU fans have become total cunts on Twitter since we finally ended the Farmageddon streak from hell.  Getting the Camping World nod while they got sent to Memphis to lose to a mid-major really burned their flag too.

Always had good interactions in real life with them, but god damn they're shitty online.  Worse than Iowa fans.

Arkansas State was down 8 starters in this game. It was already a bad loss....

On 9/9/2020 at 11:39 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

Arkansas State is supposed to be decent, right?

Go Wolves.  KSU fans have become total cunts on Twitter since we finally ended the Farmageddon streak from hell.  Getting the Camping World nod while they got sent to Memphis to lose to a mid-major really burned their flag too.

Always had good interactions in real life with them, but god damn they're shitty online.  Worse than Iowa fans.

Fuck you. 

8 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

Fuck you. 

Ah, fuck.  Forgot you were KSU.  Always think of you as a cool poster on Surly first and foremost.

Your comrades on Twitter need to cool it down for real though.  It reminds me of the GOEMAW message board twats.  Like I said, I've always got along great in real life with KSU fans.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

42 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Ah, fuck.  Forgot you were KSU.  Always think of you as a cool poster on Surly first and foremost.

Your comrades on Twitter need to cool it down for real though.  It reminds me of the GOEMAW message board twats.  Like I said, I've always got along great in real life with KSU fans.

I forget that posts don’t convey tone, except in the Wives thread. Mine was made completely in jest, playing off of your KSU internet badasses comment. 

I’ve never been on K-State’s board. These things weren’t popular when I was in either college or law school, and Shaggy was the first one I found. The Texas guys entertain a running year-long thread and a game day thread, and quite frankly, that’s good enough for me. 
I gathered cattle all day Saturday and caught bits and pieces of the game on the radio. Goddamn it. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/19/2021 at 5:56 PM, Machinator said:

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb Transfer Portal

I’ll admit it, I’m not a fan of the transfer portal. In my (not so very) humble opinion, it takes away a big part of what delineates college sports from professional sports. I also see it as a necessary evil at this point. Those feelings, however, will have to wait for another article, because the transfer portal is here, and it’s not going away anytime soon.

After much thought and consideration, I believe Kansas State is in the sweet spot of the transfer portal, and utilizing the portal isn’t so different from the Wildcats history of filling out their roster using junior college transfers. I view the transfer portal as an upgraded version of the JUCO system, in terms of filling immediate needs on a roster, and that’s a good thing for K-State.

Recruiting Magic Eraser

Teams that recruit on the level of Kansas State will have holes to fill every season. When you mainly recruit 3* talent, you’re making educated guesses you hope pan out in the long run. Historically, the Wildcats have been good at playing this recruiting game, and occasionally, win big when an undervalued player like Deuce Vaughn falls into their lap. For every Deuce, however, you’ve got 2 or 3 missed evaluations. Looking at 17 or 18 year old football player and discerning what that player may develop into as a 20-21 year is an art, not a science. It’s way more reading tea leaves and much less plugging a number into a formula.

One trend I’ve noticed in the transfer portal at Kansas State tier of college football is players transferring out of Kansas State (or Purdue, another school I cover) tend to transfer down a level of competition, not up. You’ll get an occasional Josh Youngblood, who transfers from one P5 school to another (Rutgers in this case), but you’re more likely to see John Holcombe transfer to Florida A&M or DeMarrquese Hayes transfer to Texas State than Deuce Vaughn transfer to Alabama.

What Kansas State is losing in terms of back end of the roster developmental players, they’re gaining in experienced G5 or FCS players moving up to test themselves at the P5 level. In addition to snagging players that want to move up, the Wildcats also provide a soft landing spot for P5 players that are looking for a new start (Julius Brents) or a change of scenery at the end of their career (Russ Yeast).

Beyond those two buckets of players, the Wildcats should also be a solid destination for players looking to “move down” from “blue blood” P5 schools. Those sort of transfers haven’t started flowing yet, but I expect to see more 4* guys buried on the bench at Oklahoma, Alabama or Clemson to jump in the portal once they start seeing similar transfers have success with their new teams. If you don’t have a clear path forward at Alabama, and every recruiting class brings in a fresh batch of guys that are gunning for your spot, why not move on to a team like Kansas State, where you have a clear path to the playing time you covet? Football is football, regardless if it’s played in Tuscaloosa or Manhattan, and if your goal is to make the NFL, it’s better to be on the field in Manhattan, than on the bench in Tuscaloosa.

Originally, I thought the transfer portal would facilitate the “rich getting richer” but the more I watch, the more I think it’s going to facilitate a broader distribution of 4* talent across college football. The “blue bloods” will still be stacked on the front end of their roster, but I’m not sure they’ll be able to carry the depth of talent they’ve become accustomed to over the last decade.

This brings me back to my original premise. For K-State, the transfer portal is a recruiting magic eraser. If you miss on a few high upside defensive backs in one class, it’s no longer a killer. Those “misses” are able to quickly find a better situation by moving down a level of competition, and teams like K-State will be able to fill those recruiting holes with guys looking to move up or talented players looking to move down for more playing time.

Essentially, the talent coming in is going to be better than the talent going out, and that makes for better football both at Kansas State and across the college football landscape.

Offensive Line is the Exception

One clear exception to this rule is offensive line talent. It’s one position that requires patience. You can swap skill position players all day, but offensive linemen aren’t ready until they’re ready (if that makes sense). Beyond needing longer to develop, cohesion is more important on the offensive line than any other position. The Wildcats can revamp their entire secondary, and come out with a better product on the field. They couldn’t do the same the same thing by bringing in 5 new offensive linemen.

Luckily for K-State, developing offensive line talent is their forte. If you can keep a high standard from year to year on the offensive line, the skill position players (where K-State often struggles in recruiting) are available in the portal. It’s easier to find quality wide receiver or running back in the portal than it is to find a quality left tackle, and when a left tackle does come available, there is a feeding frenzy of offers. Teams with the ability to develop offensive linemen while using the portal to find speed and athleticism will be that much further along in the game.

Overall

Chris Klieman is leaning into the transfer portal. He’s saving up to 10 scholarships a class to use in the portal, and it’s exactly what he should be doing. Bill Snyder built the program on developing players and filling holes through junior college transfers. Coach Klieman may be able to pull off the same trick using the transfer portal.

Things are trending up for Kansas State

Edited by LTtxfan
Added article

12 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Did not read.....so sorry if this is covered in article.

Wasn’t one of the big reasons Kstate had success in the late 90’s and into the 2000’s all the JUCO transfers?

Isn’t the transfer portal just that same strategy with guys already in D1?

1 hour ago, Dnaguy said:

Did not read.....so sorry if this is covered in article.  

• Wasn’t one of the big reasons Kstate had success in the late 90’s and into the 2000’s all the JUCO transfers?  
  • Isn’t the transfer portal just that same strategy with guys already in D1?

Yes and Yes

From article:  "After much thought and consideration, I believe Kansas State is in the sweet spot of the transfer portal, and utilizing the portal isn’t so different from the Wildcats history of filling out their roster using junior college transfers. I view the transfer portal as an upgraded version of the JUCO system, in terms of filling immediate needs on a roster, and that’s a good thing for K-State."

5 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Yes and Yes

From article:  "After much thought and consideration, I believe Kansas State is in the sweet spot of the transfer portal, and utilizing the portal isn’t so different from the Wildcats history of filling out their roster using junior college transfers. I view the transfer portal as an upgraded version of the JUCO system, in terms of filling immediate needs on a roster, and that’s a good thing for K-State."

Home Run Baseball GIF by Bernie Sanders

• 3 weeks later...

Klieman, Kansas State adding former OU player, assistant coach to Wildcats' staff

JOHN BRICE       JUN 2, 2021

Brian Lepak is heading back to the Big 12 – although he's continuing his collegiate coaching career at a rival program of his alma mater, the University of Oklahoma.

Lepak, most recently the running game coordinator and offensive line coach at Southern University, has accepted new roles at Kansas State as the senior offensively quality control coach and assistant director of recruiting, per sources with direct knowledge of the move.

For Lepak, who began his career at Colorado State before he transferred to the Sooners' program and became a contributor along the offensive line as well as an academic All-America selection, it's also a return to Power 5.

At Kansas State, Lepak gets an opportunity to help third-year Wildcats' coach Chris Klieman as he seeks to return the Wildcats to Big 12 title contention.

The move comes on the heels of arguably Lepak's finest coaching job in his lone season at Southern.

In an unprecedented spring season, the Jaguars led the Southwestern Athletic Conference in rushing – 228.6 yards per game on a 5.3 ypc average – en route to an 5-1 finish that included a 49-7 dismantling of Grambling in the season-ending Bayou Classic.

Lepak saw all five of his Jaguars' offensive linemen earn various All-SWAC honors.

The move also is a strong addition for Klieman & Co.; Klepak had been considered a top candidate for the offensive coordinator position at Norfolk State, per sources.

Lepak had spent a combined six seasons on the staffs of Indiana University and Lincoln Riley's OU program, prior to his move to Southern

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

How the Kansas State staff used the rulebook to their advantage in upsetting Oklahoma

One of the key moments in K-State's upset of the No. 6 Sooners was a play that never happened.

ZACH BARNETT                  23 HOURS AGO

The key moment in Kansas State's 41-34 upset of then-No. 6 Oklahoma arguably occurred on a play that never even happened.

Trailing 24-20 in the middle of the third quarter, Oklahoma faced a 4th-and-5 from the K-State 43. Head coach Brent Venables opted to go for it, but in doing so the Sooners substituted, replacing running back Marcus Major with his backfield counterpart Eric Gray.

And that decision right there might have cost the Sooners the game.

Because Oklahoma substituted, K-State was allowed the opportunity to substitute. K-State head coach Chris Klieman noticed the substitution and shouted for his staff to send someone -- anyone -- on the field. Defensive line coach Buddy Wyatt send defensive end Nate Matlack to replace Cody Stufflebean, which required Matlack to run from his sideline over beyond the far hash.

Except instead of a run, it was more like a trot.

We work on that,” Klieman told the Wichita Eagle. “It was a really sharp play by Coach Wyatt to get a defensive end for a defensive end. It would have been easy to just ship a corner out that was close to us, but we went defensive end for defensive end and we took our time.”

Video shows Major leaving the field with 19 seconds on the play clock. The center judge assumes his place in between the center and the quarterback with 15 to the snap, and Stufflebean does not begin leaving the field until the :13 mark. The official does not permit Oklahoma to snap the ball until four seconds remain on the clock, by which point it's too late. The Sooners do not get the snap off in time and take a delay of game.

"The obvious answer is, don't sub," Oklahoma offensive coordinator Jeff Lebby said Tuesday. "We're trying to get the right people on the field for the specific play that was called. Took too much time. I didn't want to use the timeout because I felt like we were going to be able to get it off. One hundred percent that was on me." 

The NCAA rule book is not explicit in how long the defense has to match an offense's substitution; Point E in Subsection 5 of Rule 3 simply says Team B "must react promptly" when Team A substitutes. A Big 12 officiating source explained to FootballScoop that protocol gives the defense five seconds to process and react to an offense's substitution, and it's up to the referee's discretion if the oncoming defender is moving too slowly to allow the offense a fair opportunity to snap the ball before the play clock's expiration. Clearly, Matlack moved slow enough to successfully disrupt Oklahoma's offense without moving too slowly. 

Michael Turk's ensuing punt sailed into the end zone, and K-State produced a field goal on its next drive, turning a possible 27-24 deficit into a 27-20 lead. 

As fate would have it, Oklahoma faced a nearly identical scenario on its next drive, a 4th-and-3 from K-State's 39, and this time the Sooners got the snap off in time. Dillon Gabriel's pass to Drake Stoops fell incomplete. 

We'll never know how the previous fourth down play would've turned out -- and that's entirely the point. K-State successfully played offense with its defense, which kicked OU's offense off the field. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

How the Kansas State staff used the rulebook to their advantage in upsetting Oklahoma

One of the key moments in K-State's upset of the No. 6 Sooners was a play that never happened.

ZACH BARNETT                  23 HOURS AGO

The key moment in Kansas State's 41-34 upset of then-No. 6 Oklahoma arguably occurred on a play that never even happened.

Trailing 24-20 in the middle of the third quarter, Oklahoma faced a 4th-and-5 from the K-State 43. Head coach Brent Venables opted to go for it, but in doing so the Sooners substituted, replacing running back Marcus Major with his backfield counterpart Eric Gray.

And that decision right there might have cost the Sooners the game.

Because Oklahoma substituted, K-State was allowed the opportunity to substitute. K-State head coach Chris Klieman noticed the substitution and shouted for his staff to send someone -- anyone -- on the field. Defensive line coach Buddy Wyatt send defensive end Nate Matlack to replace Cody Stufflebean, which required Matlack to run from his sideline over beyond the far hash.

Except instead of a run, it was more like a trot.

We work on that,” Klieman told the Wichita Eagle. “It was a really sharp play by Coach Wyatt to get a defensive end for a defensive end. It would have been easy to just ship a corner out that was close to us, but we went defensive end for defensive end and we took our time.”

Video shows Major leaving the field with 19 seconds on the play clock. The center judge assumes his place in between the center and the quarterback with 15 to the snap, and Stufflebean does not begin leaving the field until the :13 mark. The official does not permit Oklahoma to snap the ball until four seconds remain on the clock, by which point it's too late. The Sooners do not get the snap off in time and take a delay of game.

"The obvious answer is, don't sub," Oklahoma offensive coordinator Jeff Lebby said Tuesday. "We're trying to get the right people on the field for the specific play that was called. Took too much time. I didn't want to use the timeout because I felt like we were going to be able to get it off. One hundred percent that was on me." 

The NCAA rule book is not explicit in how long the defense has to match an offense's substitution; Point E in Subsection 5 of Rule 3 simply says Team B "must react promptly" when Team A substitutes. A Big 12 officiating source explained to FootballScoop that protocol gives the defense five seconds to process and react to an offense's substitution, and it's up to the referee's discretion if the oncoming defender is moving too slowly to allow the offense a fair opportunity to snap the ball before the play clock's expiration. Clearly, Matlack moved slow enough to successfully disrupt Oklahoma's offense without moving too slowly. 

Michael Turk's ensuing punt sailed into the end zone, and K-State produced a field goal on its next drive, turning a possible 27-24 deficit into a 27-20 lead. 

As fate would have it, Oklahoma faced a nearly identical scenario on its next drive, a 4th-and-3 from K-State's 39, and this time the Sooners got the snap off in time. Dillon Gabriel's pass to Drake Stoops fell incomplete. 

We'll never know how the previous fourth down play would've turned out -- and that's entirely the point. K-State successfully played offense with its defense, which kicked OU's offense off the field. 

OKST does this often, opponents hate it but read the rules and don't sub late idiots. We have the subs ready to go the second they sub late.