Kansas State hires North Dakota State's Chris Klieman as head coach

Machinator

He's well positioned to continue the trend of fundamentally sound teams anchored by Midwest farm kids that are better than they should be.  He's also ex Northern Iowa so he'll bring it for Farmageddon.

The question is whether he'll be able to get competent skill position players.  I think Campbell can recruit circles around him.

• Like 2

He's well positioned to continue the trend of fundamentally sound teams anchored by Midwest farm kids that are better than they should be.  He's also ex Northern Iowa so he'll bring it for Farmageddon.
The question is whether he'll be able to get competent skill position players.  I think Campbell can recruit circles around him.
He knows florida. Cali and texas will come.

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

NDSU has knocked of ISU, Iowa and Minn over the past 7 years, not sure how a tier 2 powerhouse was built up in the tundra.  Good hunting, ok fishing, you can shoot the biggest cannon you have in any direction and not worry about collateral damage...  but somehow they have a football power at that level and CK has been a part of that for several years. 

Seems like a great choice for KSU, I get why you don't like him, or them, but this conference is dying a slow death and this seems like a good addition.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Treefidy said:NDSU has knocked of ISU, Iowa and Minn over the past 7 years, not sure how a tier 2 powerhouse was built up in the tundra.  Good hunting, ok fishing, you can shoot the biggest cannon you have in any direction and not worry about collateral damage...  but somehow they have a football power at that level and CK has been a part of that for several years. 

Seems like a great choice for KSU, I get why you don't like him, or them, but this conference is dying a slow death and this seems like a good addition.  

If the Big 12 is dying, so is every conference other than the SEC.  The Big 10 just had a 1 loss blue blood champ sit at home, something that's never happened to the Big 12.

I never said NDSU or Klieman weren't good either.  They built that program by identifying big Midwestern farm kids and developing them into line men.  Scab in decent skill position guys who had character issues and you basically have the Osborne or Snyder recipe.

Not a good hire.

- Bohl was the one who built NDSU into the national title-winning powerhouse it is today, not Klieman, and he deserves the credit for it. Klieman just continued the trend (and Bohl meanwhile has done poorly at Wyoming). At K-State he'll have to orchestrate a rebuild on his own terms.

- Hiring an FCS coach all the way up to P5 is a massive risk. Huge, huge uptick in responsibilities. Recruiting will also fall of a cliff, he has no experience recruiting the area. He was Kansas' DB coach in 1997. That's his entire lifetime's worth of P5 experience at any level.

- Given that Gene Taylor, NDSU's previous AD is now at K-State, this feels very much like a gool ol' boy hire.

Edited by satyanash

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Not a good hire.

- Bohl was the one who built NDSU into the national title-winning powerhouse it is today, not Klieman, and he deserves the credit for it. Klieman just continued the trend (and Bohl meanwhile has done poorly at Wyoming). At K-State he'll have to orchestrate a rebuild on his own terms.

- Hiring an FCS coach all the way up to P5 is a massive risk. Huge, huge uptick in responsibilities. Recruiting will also fall of a cliff, he has no experience recruiting the area. He was Kansas' DB coach in 1997. That's it as far as his P5 experience.

- Given that Gene Taylor, NDSU's previous AD is now at K-State, this feels very much like a gool ol' boy hire.

So his lack of recruiting ties to that hotbed state of Kansas is what's gonna do him in? 

3 minutes ago, bluto said:

So his lack of recruiting ties to that hotbed state of Kansas is what's gonna do him in? 

Two players on NDSU's roster are from Kansas. Two. That's it. FCS recruiting is a totally different animal from P5 recruiting, from the size of your staff to scholarship limits to recruiting reach.

33 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

If the Big 12 is dying, so is every conference other than the SEC.  The Big 10 just had a 1 loss blue blood champ sit at home, something that's never happened to the Big 12.

I never said NDSU or Klieman weren't good either.  They built that program by identifying big Midwestern farm kids and developing them into line men.  Scab in decent skill position guys who had character issues and you basically have the Osborne or Snyder recipe.

Sadly, the Big 12 is not dying.

25 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Yes B12 is dying, most people know it because it's OU and a UT on the rise and everyone else.  Not enough helmet schools.  Longer post, moving it to realignment because it belongs there 

Klieman will get the rural KS farm boys to play OL and DT.. and build the team inside out.

This is his first HC senior class after taking over for bohl. It's about as stacked as it gets for fcs with good nfl talent. They would challenge Texas without a doubt on 20 less schollies. Secondary wouldn't keep up with LJH/ colin or ous spread but they would give a good fight. Their d line is ridiculous and they have an absolute beast of a lb in jabril cox.

Klieman will find these guys and more for kstate
. No doubt.

42 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Klieman will get the rural KS farm boys to play OL and DT.. and build the team inside out.

This is his first HC senior class after taking over for bohl. It's about as stacked as it gets for fcs with good nfl talent. They would challenge Texas without a doubt on 20 less schollies. Secondary wouldn't keep up with LJH/ colin or ous spread but they would give a good fight. Their d line is ridiculous and they have an absolute beast of a lb in jabril cox.

Klieman will find these guys and more for kstate
. No doubt.

I’ll refrain for now because I know you’re excited. 

Crazy that KState got three December Commitments with Snyder Leaving...

• Hard Commits (11)
  •  
  • Khalil McClain
    Khalil McClainHutchinson C.C. (Hutchinson, KS) 
    6-3 / 212
    47 5 13

Commit 12/4/2018

WR
  • Logan Wilson
    Logan WilsonBishop Dunne (Dallas, TX) 
    5-10.5 / 165
    986 95 129

Commit 12/10/2018

CB
  •  
  •  
  • Khalid Duke
    Khalid DukeRiverside Military Academy (Gainesville, GA) 
    6-4 / 225
     NA
    NA NA NA

Commit 12/6/2018

OLB
Edited by LTtxfan

Yeah, Klieman had the monumental task of winning games with a down-on-its-luck NDSU team coming off of just three consecutive national championships. Hell of a rebuild.

Also the Jim Tressel comparisons are overblown. Tressel had five years of experience as a P5 assistant coach and coached Youngstown State for FIFTEEN years. His pre-tOSU resume blows Klieman's out of the water.

Yeah, Klieman had the monumental task of winning games with a down-on-its-luck NDSU team coming off of just three consecutive national championships. Hell of a rebuild.
Also the Jim Tressel comparisons are overblown. Tressel had five years of experience as a P5 assistant coach and coached Youngstown State for FIFTEEN years. His pre-tOSU resume blows Klieman's out of the water.
And Harbaugh at san diego?

Wyoming unexpectedly regressed this year, but that's a tough, tough place to win at. 8-5 and 8-6 the previous two years is not indicative of a bad coach at that program. He took over a shitpile from Christensen spent the first two years digging out of it. If strong had gone 8-6 his third year he would still be coaching at Texas, much less Wyoming.

6 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Wyoming unexpectedly regressed this year, but that's a tough, tough place to win at. 8-5 and 8-6 the previous two years is not indicative of a bad coach at that program. He took over a shitpile from Christensen spent the first two years digging out of it. If strong had gone 8-6 his third year he would still be coaching at Texas, much less Wyoming.

There's that, and the fact that they lost their starting QB to the first round of the NFL draft.

15 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:
9 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

You can say what you want... it's not going to offend me if you think a p5 coach needs fbs experience, needs to know how to handle budgets, donors, scholarships,being able to recruit texas etc.

I was being a grammar-Nazi about you saying less instead of fewer. I gave Royalfan5 grief in the post just before that one. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, satyanash said:

Not a good hire.

- Hiring an FCS coach all the way up to P5 is a massive risk. Huge, huge uptick in responsibilities. Recruiting will also fall of a cliff, he has no experience recruiting the area. He was Kansas' DB coach in 1997. That's his entire lifetime's worth of P5 experience at any level.

I bet people said a lot of these same things whenever Oregon hired Chip Kelley from UMass. Good coaches are good coaches, they can win anywhere. 

30 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:
9 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

You can say what you want... it's not going to offend me if you think a p5 coach needs fbs experience, needs to know how to handle budgets, donors, scholarships,being able to recruit texas etc.

I actually am a proponent of hiring successful coaches from a lower level. I don’t think it’s riskier to hire a proven FCS head coach than an assistant coach, unless that assistant was a long-time coordinator at a highly successful FBS school.  But, those are hard to come by for the KSUs of the world. 

4 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I bet people said a lot of these same things whenever Oregon hired Chip Kelley from UMass. Good coaches are good coaches, they can win anywhere. 

Chip Kelly was hired from UMass to be Oregon's offensive coordinator. He had two years of successful OC-ing at Oregon under his belt before he became the head coach there.