Kansas State hires North Dakota State's Chris Klieman as head coach

Machinator

3 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

There's an Iowa podcaster who's based out of KC and is pretty well connected in the energy world.  Some of KSU's largest donors are part of this circle, and said podcaster claims he was told by those guys, who know Kleiman, that he's probably not going to coach at all for much longer.  Apparently behind the scenes he's claimed he's not a lifer, and when he hits a certain nut, that he would hit before he finishes the current contract in Manhattan, he plans to ride off into the sunset.

Who knows, could be totally full of shit.  I'd certainly be just fine with it, so I'm choosing to believe him.

What better way to ride off into the sunset with tens of millions of dollars in guaranteed money from Texas A&M?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Keef said:

What better way to ride off into the sunset with tens of millions of dollars in guaranteed money from Texas A&M?

I'd find this hilarious.  I just don't think he goes that route.  Kleiman's a Midwest guy.  He's from Iowa, played at Northern Iowa, and coached at NDSU and KSU.  His entire career - shit, his entire life, has been spent being embedded in Midwestern football.  I don't see him zagging to Aggy in his 50's or 60's.

12 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I'd find this hilarious.  I just don't think he goes that route.  Kleiman's a Midwest guy.  He's from Iowa, played at Northern Iowa, and coached at NDSU and KSU.  His entire career - shit, his entire life, has been spent being embedded in Midwestern football.  I don't see him zagging to Aggy in his 50's or 60's.

He can wait out Ferentz eventual retirement if he wants. 

31 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

There's an Iowa podcaster who's based out of KC and is pretty well connected in the energy world.  Some of KSU's largest donors are part of this circle, and said podcaster claims he was told by those guys, who know Kleiman, that he's probably not going to coach at all for much longer.  Apparently behind the scenes he's claimed he's not a lifer, and when he hits a certain nut, that he would hit before he finishes the current contract in Manhattan, he plans to ride off into the sunset.

Who knows, could be totally full of shit.  I'd certainly be just fine with it, so I'm choosing to believe him.

I had to look it up. I can't believe he's only 56. He looks like he's mid-60's, at least.

31 minutes ago, Js1 said:

He can wait out Ferentz eventual retirement if he wants. 

That's crossed my mind.  Being a UNI alum, Kleiman probably has a Hawkeye tattoo somewhere that no one knows about.  

But that could be awhile.  Ferentz is PISSED about Brian getting canned, and while I initially thought he'd take his ball and go home after this season/before the new Big 10 schedule hits, I think he now plans to treat the job like a spot on the Supreme Court bench and just stink the place up and force the new AD to fire him or let him ride it into the grave.

If Kleiman wants to kick back around 60, I just don't think the Iowa job's a realistic option.

32 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I had to look it up. I can't believe he's only 56. He looks like he's mid-60's, at least.

The man has spent the vast majority of his life in 3 places:  Cedar Falls/Waterloo, Iowa; Fargo, North Dakota; Manhattan, Kansas.

Do you know what the wind is like in these places? 

• Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/26/2023 at 9:48 AM, LTtxfan said:

Kansas State Football | Chris Klieman Postgame Press Conference | Iowa State 42, K-State 35

• Kstate 102 plays.   42 mins
  • Cyclones 35 plays    18 mins

Terrible defense and tackling by kstate... Wow 😬

I listened to the ISU feed on the radio when I was picking someone up from the airport. Halfway through the 3rd noted that no ISU drive was more than 5 plays long and they were on pace for fewer plays than their lowest game of the season of 45 (BYU I think).

I looked at the drive chart:

12 drives
6 TDs
1 fumble
3 punts
2 kneel downs to end both halves.

• 2 weeks later...