CoTA sounds like it sucks

Updawg

Yep. It's good racing. Took the boy for the last 3 hours of the race. It's a good series with legit,  fast race cars, run very professionally ... more so than some other series in some ways. I don't understand why it's not a bigger deal than it is or what the distinction is that makes it a series where nobody goes even when it's free. These are real racing teams fully supported with large crews of mechanics, numerous engineers, etc.

We saw maybe 15 other fans the entire time we were there, and we roamed freely everywhere  - Main GS, Paddock, the Tower, both bridges, and we went all the way out to T9.  The only thing I wish they'd do differently is breaking it into 2 days, but that's not a deal breaker.

Edited by wood

• 2 weeks later...

Skip Barber today and tomorrow at COTA. That looks to be it for December, then Audi Driver Experiences start back up on January 11 ... so that leaves a 24 day window for repairs. Not a lot of time for anything major.

Edited by wood

9 hours ago, wood said:

Skip Barber today and tomorrow at COTA. That looks to be it for December, then Audi Driver Experiences start back up on January 11 ... so that leaves a 24 day window for repairs. Not a lot of time for anything major.

I thought it was supposed to be a couple months or something?

I guess we'll see.

• 2 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, Pasken said:

I thought the grinding was a temp solution and they were doing something more extensive?

Yeah grinding is not a long-term fix and generally makes things worse long-term. They said they'd be doing more than that. I dunno. Trying to find out. 

36 minutes ago, utee94 said:

They said something along the lines of "extensive track resurfacing."  Grinding bumps doesn't sound like extensive track resurfacing.  I guess I'll just wait and hope for the best.

Yeah Epstein said they'd resurface about 40% of the track in conjunction with drainage system repairs, which makes me think they're only gonna do any serious resurfacing in areas where they have to dig up the track to do the drainage repairs. He also said the track would be closed for most of December for repairs, but it was open through the 17th and the dumptrucks didn't start showing up until the 19th, presumably for the grinding ops.

IndyCar tightens COTA track limits https://racer.com/2019/12/30/indycar-tightens-cota-track-limits/

Starting next February at the Spring Training event held on the sprawling 20-turn facility, IndyCar officials will install a new timing line at the exit of high-speed left-hand corner. With the electronic monitoring loop in place, drivers will be required to cross over the timing line to the left of the curbing in order to trigger the system.

The only way to miss the new timing line is to run wide at Turn 19, which will create an alert for IndyCar’s timing and scoring staff to investigate the reason for straying from the intended track limits by reviewing on-board or trackside video.

It’s believed IndyCar’s race control team will void any qualifying laps at COTA where the Turn 19 timing line is missed. In the race, violations and unique circumstances, such as drivers going side-by-side where the outside driver is forced into the runoff area, will be reviewed before some form of penalty is assessed.

Good,  that's the one thing I really didn't enjoy about the indycar race at COTA last year.  Turn19 is a critical one to set up entry to Turn20 and grabbing a good line on the front straight, and I didn't like them cheating that corner and making it easier.

Happy New Year everyone!

As of New Year's Eve, lots of track grinding had been done at COTA, but that's all, as far as I could see.  Turn 1, between Turns 9 and 10, the back straight, and Turn 19 have been ground. This is likely the 40% of the circuit that Epstein has referred to. Maybe some on the esses as well?

No heavy equipment & no sign of any below-grade work going on or having been done. No sign of drainage work or any "pipes coming out". Nothing at all happening that day & only 2 weeks left in the window Epstein described. It seems, at least right now, that the "extensive" repairs will consist of grinding these areas and resurfacing them.

ENTkKjVWoAIGeDU?format=jpg&name=large

ENTkKjXWsAEZGnW?format=jpg&name=large

ENTkKjVWoAM-LM8?format=jpg&name=large

ENTkKjZWwAYwqMP?format=jpg&name=large

Went out to COTA again. Still zero sign of drainage work. No more grinding since New Year's Eve, either, from what I could see. They've sealed T1 and were paving T18-19. Nothing more has been done to T9-12, including the back straight.
B8tMlBe.jpg

This pic is from a Facebook user...

mzEmtn7.jpg

No work's been done to the front straight other than the approach to 1.
0hGVqVa.jpg

Edited by wood

Best we can tell, only grinding and re-paving is taking place, and only in certain areas. The only areas that have been worked on are the braking zone of T1 down to maybe T2. Unsure where that work stops. Then the short stretch between T9 and 10 where that really hard bump is, the back straight, and T18 & 19.

Looks like they've now done the sealant from the exit of 11 down to 12.

81902071_2970332283001567_65644768103298

I've been told now by a civil engineer that the coat I referred to as sealant is a "tack coat",  a binder that is applied prior to the new asphalt to ensure that the new surface adheres to the underlying pavement. I was wondering if that coat was some kind of coat like what a painter would call a 'primer coat'. I guess it is...

The SCCA Pro Racing-sanctioned Super Lap Battle returns to Circuit of The Americas in Austin, Texas, for the COTA Time Attack Challenge, Feb. 15-16, 2020. The event will see competitors from around the globe taking on the Grand Prix course.

The best from Australia, Asia, and Europe are coming to battle North America’s fastest drivers, and the clock, while winding through the challenging 3.4-mile, 20-turn circuit. The Elusive Racing Integra out of Melbourne, Australia, driven by Brett Dickie, is confirmed, as well as fellow Aussie Barton Mawer, known for driving the fastest time attack car in the world, the PR Technology Porsche RP968. All will be chasing the Lyfe Motorsports Nissan GTR and Cole Powelson, who is back to defend his crown.

The event also features the GridLife Touring Cup, Lone Star Drift demo & ride a longs, and car show.

https://racer.com/2020/01/09/cota-time-attack-challenge/