CoTA sounds like it sucks

Updawg

6 hours ago, wood said:

Turns out they're using it as a staging area near the airport before sending people on to area hotels.

Man if they can funnel a couple hundred thousand through there over the next 24 hours, pretty sure Bobby will attempt to to claim it as fans at an event and grab that $25 million from the state!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

World Challenge racing at COTA right now. https://www.gt-world-challenge-america.com/watch-live

There's been more bump 'shaving' at T3. The esses are a fucking disaster, esp in and out of 5. Big bumps in the T11 braking zone, & even in the T12 braking zone that's just been resurfaced. The big bump between 9 & 10 is still there, too. Looks like most of the rest of the resurfaced areas aren't bad, after some of it being resurfaced 2 & even 3 times this year.

As I was typing above, one of the cars broke its right rear suspension at T5. Wow.

Edited by wood

Rumor of a NASCAR date at COTA next year. Other sites jumping on this and reporting it as if it's already done, but the original story doesn't seem to say that. Looks like they only say that the TMS move frees up a weekend that could go to COTA or another track.

NASCAR moving All-Star Race to Texas, clearing the way to add a Cup race at COTA https://theathletic.com/2082618/2020/09/21/nascar-moving-all-star-race-to-texas-clearing-the-way-to-add-a-cup-race-at-cota/

We'll see. It would be cool though. I like NASCAR on road circuits. It's entertaining watching them flop around like fish on the boat deck.

Edited by wood

Also, hearing some talk now that COTA is only (maybe) getting that NASCAR date because Bruton Smith has either bought COTA or is about to. So he would still own the date, & would just be using it at COTA.

This would also  explain the rumor that COTA's Bobby  Epstein has stepped aside or is out completely. 

Edited by wood

1 minute ago, Bill Brasky said:

it's just not a good track for Nascar in it's current design,  I could see them shortening the course or adding a bus stop chicane near the end of the backstretch like Watkins Glen 

Yeah there's some talk about this over on Motorsport Mayhem as well. They could run the short course a la what V8SC did, but most people came away from that race wishing they had run the whole circuit. I dunno ...

46 minutes ago, wood said:

Yeah there's some talk about this over on Motorsport Mayhem as well. They could run the short course a la what V8SC did, but most people came away from that race wishing they had run the whole circuit. I dunno ...

Yeah I definitely wished the ozzy V8s had run the full course, and I know that I'd wish the same for NASCAR.

A good question was brought up on another forum re: the Bruton Smith rumor:

Given the problems with the ground it sits on, I don't understand why anybody would want this property for racing.

What am I missing??

And that's what I'm wondering too. IF the rumor is true, I would have to assume that he got the track VERY cheap and plans to invest in making a proper repair of the drainage and the substrate, which will cost a lot of money. 

Failing that, I have no idea...

Edited by wood

29 minutes ago, Updawg said:

I would think he is getting it very cheap because of that. And dividing up the land to sell makes sense as well. Seems like Epstein is done and wants to walk away. Sucks if we lose F1

Or he's been forced out ...

Re: F1, that would definitely suck, but next year's race is the last on the contract. Who knows, after that. I still think Miami will happen, and Penske is ready to pounce as well, and not just for F1.

52 minutes ago, wood said:

Or he's been forced out ...

Re: F1, that would definitely suck, but next year's race is the last on the contract. Who knows, after that. I still think Miami will happen, and Penske is ready to pounce as well, and not just for F1.

Good Lord I hated F1 at Indy.  Just a beating.

Anyway, we've gotten several more years of F1 in Austin than I originally thought we would back when it was announced about a decade ago.  But that doesn't mean I don't want more.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 9/23/2020 at 6:37 PM, wood said:

Also, hearing some talk now that COTA is only (maybe) getting that NASCAR date because Bruton Smith has either bought COTA or is about to. So he would still own the date, & would just be using it at COTA.

This would also  explain the rumor that COTA's Bobby  Epstein has stepped aside or is out completely. 

On 9/23/2020 at 8:56 PM, Bill Brasky said:

it's just not a good track for Nascar in it's current design,  I could see them shortening the course or adding a bus stop chicane near the end of the backstretch like Watkins Glen 

As I said in the NASCAR thread, it makes the Indy rumors more interesting.

• Hook 'Em 1

...and:

IndyCar heading for a schedule shake-up in 2021  
COTA likely off the schedule...

https://racer.com/2020/09/29/indycar-heading-for-a-schedule-shake-up-in-2021/

Another track missing from 2021 will likely be COTA, which is going to host a NASCAR race next spring, but may also be up for sale and not financially willing or able to keep IndyCar.

Edited by wood

About that COTA buyout rumor ... try this on: 

SMI/TMS gives COTA a 'Test Drive' - leasing COTA for the May 23 NASCAR date, & running the race on the National (short) Circuit. That allows them to keep their NASCAR schedule date, but use it at COTA. They commit minimal resources, and if it works out, they keep doing it. 

Edited by wood

Back in the 90's I wanted 2 races at TMS. Then after spending thousands at both races for a decade, they started treating fans like shit. No Limits my ass. As long as Eddie Gossage stays clear I'm more than happy to see NASCAR give COTA some traffic.

1 hour ago, RPM said:

Back in the 90's I wanted 2 races at TMS. Then after spending thousands at both races for a decade, they started treating fans like shit. No Limits my ass. As long as Eddie Gossage stays clear I'm more than happy to see NASCAR give COTA some traffic.

Looks like this race will be run by SMI, leasing COTA.

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

spacer.png

the All-Star Race moved to Texas Motor Speedway

So the Spring TMS race goes to COTA, the All Star in June come to TMS and the playoff race in October at TMS. Does Indy still keep their June race and combine it with the All Star race? THAT would be a good weekend. Might have to bust out the RV.

Edited by RPM

15 minutes ago, RPM said:

the All-Star Race moved to Texas Motor Speedway

So the Spring TMS race goes to COTA, the All Star in June come to TMS and the playoff race in October at TMS. Does Indy still keep their June race and combine it with the All Star race? THAT would be a good weekend. Might have to bust out the RV.

Looks like that doubleheader will be 2 IndyCar races.

So, looks like we were right ... the COTA NASCAR round comes to us "courtesy of Speedway Motorsports". SMI is promoting the race, not COTA.

http://links.engage.ticketmaster.com/servlet/MailView?ms=NjEwOTQxNgS2&r=MjIxMTExNzI1OTY0S0&j=MTEwMTM4MDI4MgS2&mt=1&rt=0

Weird that Smith & Gossage didn't mention it in the TMS stream thingy.

ETA: So since it's just a track rental with SMI as the promoter, they'd presumably get the TV money and any potential MERP money as well. 

Edited by wood

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...