post your nominee for the shittiest "great" band ever

Gil Bang

(caveat - not sure they were ever considered "great", but since we're mainly talking classic rock here...)

I'm a prog rock guy, Floyd, Genesis, King Crimson, Yes, Tull, love some, like others, but god almighty is ELP the most bloated bunch of horseshit I've ever heard.  From the Beginning, Lucky Man, Karn Evil 9 single, that's it,  everything else is just Keith Emerson jacking off for 20 minutes at a pop.  Ugh.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rollo Tomassi said:

Bad Company.  For real, they are the worst.

I think the Kinks are outstanding.  One of the most under appreciated bands from that time period.

I remember hearing about both Van Halen and Rush getting pressured into sounding more like Bad Company. Fortunately for the soul of rock 'n' roll, neither did.

• Like 1

Several good mentions:  Doors, Bad Company

Got to add:  Santana

The whole “hippy forever” flowing robes and “peace, man” stuff just annoys the shit out of me.  I don’t know if they’re still touring, but if they are, I hope their airplane crashes into Courtney Barnett’s shitty bus.  

Edited by Paul Wesley

10 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

Several good mentions:  Doors, Bad Company

Got to add:  Santana

The whole “hippy forever” flowing robes and “peace, man” stuff just annoys the shit out of me.  I don’t know if they’re still touring, but if they are, I hope their airplane crashes into Courtney Barnett’s shitty bus.  

Yeah, fuck Santana.

8 minutes ago, ohchaucer said:

This isn't exactly the concept of the question, but The Who. Don't get me wrong, they are awesome and seminal to rock n will....I guess it's just that I WANT love them more than I actually do when I listen to them. Townshend transcended that band. 

<sorry, not sorry>

I love The Who and I totally agree with this. I always want more after listening to an album. 

Seconded on Aerosmith and Phish (if anyone thinks Phish is great). Maybe Radiohead but I get why people like them. 

15 minutes ago, OkieLite Fan said:

U2 for me as well but somebody beat me by an hour.

I remember watching a music doc some years ago ab Guitar Gods w Jimmy Page, The Edge, Jack White, and I forgot the 4th. It was fuckin’ comical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It Might Get Loud. And it was just those 3.

The Doors are less "shitty" and more "wildly overrated".  Jim Morrison wasn't a genius poet.  He was an asshole who took drugs and wrote out all the shit that went through his head while tripping.
They also never had a bass player in the band, but clearly had bass guitar on every fucking record.  I don't know why that irritates me, but it does.

ray manzarek played the bass lines on his rhodes piano bass. He was a badass

7 hours ago, Rimbo said:

You know, if people ascribed their greatness to their music, I'd be there with you. But no one thinks their music is "great," outside of a few catchy tunes.

It was the showmanship, the work ethic and the "just having sex with 2 chicks because it's Tuesday" lifestyle that defined them and kinda redefined rock stardom along with it. 

mostly agree, but thread title was great band and part of being a band is the live show.  I don't care how much showmanship a band is capable of, the music has to not suck for them to get an "army" of followers to pay to see their showmanship.  And I'm sure some of those morons think Kiss makes the best rock music ever.  

I find The Scorpions supremely unlistenable.  I'm sure somebody thinks they're great.

They're like the Larry to Darrell (Bon Jovi) and Darrell (Def Leppard).  Not sure where Aerosmith fits in there, but they're awful too, which is a shame, because they had a couple of good songs in them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dolemite said:

I have David Bowie and Bob Marley on my list. 

DO NOT include David Bowie.  Listen to zingy stardust all the way through and reflect on your choice.  Or maybe station to station or diamond dogs or lets dance (with SRV on guitar).

REO Speedwagon sucks ass

2 hours ago, Todd Gack said:

mostly agree, but thread title was great band and part of being a band is the live show.  I don't care how much showmanship a band is capable of, the music has to not suck for them to get an "army" of followers to pay to see their showmanship.  And I'm sure some of those morons think Kiss makes the best rock music ever.  

I can't argue with that. one of them was one of my roommates my freshman year...

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I find The Scorpions supremely unlistenable.  I'm sure somebody thinks they're great.

And that somebody is wrong. They're behind Bon Jovi, Poison and Warrant. They're behind Winger.

Ahead of Nelson, though. Eeeeeeeuuuuagh.

There are only two great hair metal bands: VH and GnR. One of these represents the beginning of the genre, the other its last dying gasp.

Def Leppard isn't hair metal and anyone who classifies them as such should be clubbed over the head with a Tannoy speaker. They're NWOBHM goddammit.