Boston

durant durant

Take the tour at Sam Adams brewery.

Its free and only takes an hour or so. Get to drink for free for another hour.   Afterwards take the trolley to Doyles.  Great bar.  

Freedom Trail is a must.

Definitely eat Italian in the north end.

so many good mom and pop places

• 2 weeks later...

Legal Seafood...order the POACHED lobster roll (it's poached in butter rather than mixed in mayo).

The Warren Tavern in Charlestown.  Favorite hangout of Paul Revere and his friends.

Bella Vista in the North End is a great place for Italian...but I will tell you that the guy running it the day we ate there pretty much convinced anyone with kids that this wasn't the place for them to dine at.  

Monica's for homemade Pasta and Neptune for just about anything seafood. (both in the North End)

Coppa for Italian in the South End, (I've also had Cinquecento and it was good.)

Lolita Cocina for interior Mexican in Back Bay

Brewer's Fork in Charlestown has decent food and a lot of good beer on tap

Trillium brewery

Liberty Hotel is a decent spot for a drink as well

• 2 weeks later...

I've stayed at the Kimpton property in Cambridge a few times.   Summer time...  It's an OK walk into town.  Winter...  Uber where you want to go.   This property caters to the business traveler so on week days, the hotel is full.   Weekends?  Not so much.  

21 hours ago, RiceOwl said:

For business, tourism, or what?

Whats your price range?

Do you want to stick to the city or also do day trips (Salem, Lexington & Concord, etc.)?

It is for summer vacation for the wife and I. I went ahead and booked at the Boston Park Plaza. We are there for 3 nights and plan on doing a game at Fenway, Freedom Trail and then who knows what else. 

Harpoon Brewery for sure.  It can be very crowded and lines form quickly.  Check with a local on best times to visit.

Quincy Market is overrated and overrun with tourists.  Fairmont Copley Plaza Hotel is haunted, trust me on this.

2 hours ago, Macanudo said:

Skip Salem.  It's a tourist trap for Witches.  Zero reason to go there.

It’s fun during the two weeks around Halloween but otherwise I agree. 

For three days, my recommendations on things to see besides Fenway and Freedom Trail would be: JFK Library, Harvard/Harvard Sq, MFA Boston or Elizabeth Stewart Gardner Museum depending on what kind of art you like, and a day trip to Concord (See Walden Pond, Old North Bridge, Alcott House, Battle Road, etc). 

• 1 year later...

Planning a trip to the area this summer with my wife. We'll probably have 4 days. First time for either of us in New England.

We're interested in history/historic sites, seeing different parts of nature/scenery in that area, and doing activities in areas that allow you to "experience" the sites/scenery. 

I've read through most of the suggestions on this and other threads, but want to see if anyone has suggestions geared towards these preferences?

Freedom Trail is on the list, and maybe a drive to Plymoth, Cape Cod/Provincetown. Portsmyth or Portland are also possibilities.

Is there anything worth going to in Connecticut or RI?

Acadia is probably too far for us, but is White Mountain or anything else in NH/Vermont worth making a drive to see/experience?

On 12/31/2019 at 3:29 PM, KYHorn said:

Planning a trip to the area this summer with my wife. We'll probably have 4 days. First time for either of us in New England.

We're interested in history/historic sites, seeing different parts of nature/scenery in that area, and doing activities in areas that allow you to "experience" the sites/scenery. 

I've read through most of the suggestions on this and other threads, but want to see if anyone has suggestions geared towards these preferences?

Freedom Trail is on the list, and maybe a drive to Plymoth, Cape Cod/Provincetown. Portsmyth or Portland are also possibilities.

Is there anything worth going to in Connecticut or RI?

Acadia is probably too far for us, but is White Mountain or anything else in NH/Vermont worth making a drive to see/experience?

With just 4 days you might want to just stick to Boston proper as you will have plenty to do/see/eat within core downtown. Everyone is driving out to the cape each Friday over the summer and while it's great I'm just not sure you have enough time to really do anything unless you had a couple days. Newport RI is great but again that's a trip by itself. Plenty to do in VT... Visit the Alchemist in Stowe or Whistle Pig in Waterbury if you are into craft beer or Whiskey distilleries.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Bump, we will be in Boston from the 23rd to the 26th of this month, and are debating between a hotel and a VRBO.  But what area(s) should we consider?  I would prefer to be somewhere near/on the water.  But will be touring a few schools- Northeaster, BU, and a couple others, so transportation access is important.   I know nothing of Boston.

6 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Bump, we will be in Boston from the 23rd to the 26th of this month, and are debating between a hotel and a VRBO.  But what area(s) should we consider?  I would prefer to be somewhere near/on the water.  But will be touring a few schools- Northeaster, BU, and a couple others, so transportation access is important.   I know nothing of Boston.

Some more info here:

Will be cold later this month. Something right on the water could get brutal. 

Marriott Long Wharf for closer to the North End and historic stuff

Envoy (Waterfront) for where all the new stuff is

Off the Water Back Bay is a central area close to the schools.

• Hook 'Em 1

Battery Wharf Hotel. It’s in the North End right next to the Coast Guard docks where they park the big cutters. It’s a short walk to Hanover Street where there are many fantastic restaurants. As mentioned in the other thread Bricco and Mare Oyster Bar are my favorites. The are a 5 minute walk from the hotel.

http:// https://www.batterywharfhotelboston.com

Hit Mike's Pastry in the North End and get the pistachio macaroons.  Across the street is The Daily Catch which is small but really good seafood/Italian restaurant.  Also, Giacomo's in the North End is a great place to eat.  Like Underdog said, hit up Fenway.  Also walk the Freedom Trail if you have time and want to check out historical stuff.  The T (subway/trains) can get you around town pretty easily along with Uber if you need that.  I know it's not on your list but I would head over to Cambridge and check out Harvard.  Lastly, if you want to rent a car you can head north to Gloucester to see the Gordon's Fisherman statue, Salem to check out the witch trial stuff and then over to Essex to Woodman's for great fried clams.  Yeah, I know I mentioned a lot of food places but I am fat and Boston has great food, basic but great.  

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Hate said:

Battery Wharf Hotel. It’s in the North End right next to the Coast Guard docks where they park the big cutters. It’s a short walk to Hanover Street where there are many fantastic restaurants. As mentioned in the other thread Bricco and Mare Oyster Bar are my favorites. The are a 5 minute walk from the hotel.

http:// https://www.batterywharfhotelboston.com

Yep, this looks perfect.  Thx.

Thoughts on a restaurant for T-Day if we do a hotel?

Edited by Sbbruin

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

Yep, this looks perfect.  Thx.

Thoughts on a restaurant for T-Day if we do a hotel?

Like I mentioned above, find a place on Hanover Street.  It's literally a 5 minute walk from that hotel.  There are probably 20+ restaurants there to choose from.  I'm sure one of them will be open Thanksgiving.  You should check out the other thread posted above as well.  Great stuff in there.

• Hook 'Em 1

So, as I posted in the other Boston thread, I'll be there for just one day.  I fly in late Friday and fly out early Sunday so I'm staying at the Embassy Suites in East Boston by BOS.

I'm thinking of taking the subway to Fenway, getting on the Maverick Blue line and switching to the Green line at Gov't Center and then taking that to the Fenway stop.  Is that correct?  Then take the same way back to Gov't Center and start walking up Hanover St and having a bit to eat or drink at each place.

But, I was wanting to get some good chowdah, Scrod, and lobstah rolls.  It's gonna be a fat boy day.  And then good places to day drink on that path.

I know there's the Union Oyster House.  They were good the last time I was there, but maybe that was just gringo tourista food.  Like Mi Tierra in SA.

On 11/4/2021 at 8:55 PM, Ag with kids said:

So, as I posted in the other Boston thread, I'll be there for just one day.  I fly in late Friday and fly out early Sunday so I'm staying at the Embassy Suites in East Boston by BOS.

I'm thinking of taking the subway to Fenway, getting on the Maverick Blue line and switching to the Green line at Gov't Center and then taking that to the Fenway stop.  Is that correct?  Then take the same way back to Gov't Center and start walking up Hanover St and having a bit to eat or drink at each place.

But, I was wanting to get some good chowdah, Scrod, and lobstah rolls.  It's gonna be a fat boy day.  And then good places to day drink on that path.

I know there's the Union Oyster House.  They were good the last time I was there, but maybe that was just gringo tourista food.  Like Mi Tierra in SA.

Just use google maps. It will tell you what lines to take. The subway is simple though. 

• 3 weeks later...

Last day here.  Stayed at The Liberty.  Converted Suffolk County jail.  Very cool.  Nice sized rooms.  Right next to the red line.  Have had a great time.  Highlights for me- Old Tate a house/Meeting House.  Duck Tour.  Freedom Trail seeing the steeple where Paul Revere had the lanterns lit and the cemetery with gravestones dating back to the 17th century.  Fenway.  Hit BU and Northeastern with the boy to tour.  It was butt ass cold a couple of the days here.  But good times.  Bricco was some of the best Italian I have ever eaten.

0EE5DD7A-F876-4BE4-A0F1-5F26A69CF94F.jpeg

3F8D232C-04A8-43A6-BBFB-5545B1B8D04A.jpeg

D889E97B-1440-4B49-BE48-E5D096C3B6DF.jpeg

02CC5B54-C013-4179-ABE7-54E807E8BF20.jpeg

55270539-60AE-46BD-ABE3-79D48E7358B3.jpeg

B71AC68D-CD7E-4E61-8399-1F901ADF283E.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

You didn't even say hi. :sadpanda:

Sounds like a fun trip and good sites. Everyone forget William Dawes and Samuel Prescott doing the real warning (Longfellow really made shit up).

I am going to really need to check out Park St station again. Not working in the city anymore really takes me out of all those stations and I miss everything now.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

You didn't even say hi. :sadpanda:

Sounds like a fun trip and good sites. Everyone forget William Dawes and Samuel Prescott doing the real warning (Longfellow really made shit up).

I am going to really need to check out Park St station again. Not working in the city anymore really takes me out of all those stations and I miss everything now.

I really got a good handle on the subway/rail system.  My wife was all about Uber/Lyft, but whenever I am in a new city with a good rail system, I like to take it as it helps me learn the city and coming from a large city without a real functional rail system, I enjoy it.

14 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

We stayed at the Liberty.

Nice! My girlfriend. Then fiancé. And now my wife lived a few blocks away from there on Marlborough. I spent quite a few nights at that bar when I would go up to visit since we did long distance for a couple years. 

I love the photos. I was up there in July. I need to get back during the winter though. 

• Hook 'Em 1