Mike Williams is leaving the team

Machinator

We have just received confirmation from multiple sources that freshman DL Mike Williams has quit the football team.

Hailed as the next Malcolm Roach, the Baton Rouge (La.) native was ranked as the #21 recruit in Louisiana in 2018, and was an exciting prospect because of his versatility on the defensive line. Mike Williams was best known during recruiting as having played quarterback for his team. He last measured in at Texas at 6’2” and 275lbs.

We have been told that he just packed up all his stuff and is no longer on campus. According to one source the staff did not get did not get much of a warning. According to the source, one of the biggest factors in his decision is that he wanted to be closer to home and will look for a college in Louisiana to attend to continue his football career.

We are currently digging to find out more behind the story, and will update this article as we receive more information.

2 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

what family issue?

Nothing specific, but when he was being recruited it sounded like he lived with his coach for a while and his family is beyond dirt poor. Single mother, too, if I recall. Also has a much younger brother (the little kid in the picture)

Now Gerald Wilbon has a very similar situation (his dad's been in prison his whole life), so it's not like it's impossible to make it out, but still.

Edited by texifornia

Good luck Mike. Goes to show that best laid plans can easily be disrupted.  So much for a red shirt.  I would think the academic aspect of UT would be pretty overwhelming as well. Personally, I wonder how long Shepherd can hang should he sign with the class.  

12 minutes ago, pops said:

Meh...you never know what is going on in someone else's life. I'll give a 19 year old kid the benefit of the doubt when he's probably overwhelmed as fuck. 

Solid^^^

On a positive note for the Team..... Finding out now gives the Staff more time to find another DL to add to the Roster.....

12 minutes ago, pacman said:

because they are responsible for the players at their position, once they get on campus?

Ladies and gentlemen, I'll be brief. The issue here is not whether we lost a few recruits, or took a few liberties with our booster's hundred dollar handshakes—we did. But you can't hold a whole coaching staff responsible for the behavior of a few, home sick individuals. For if you do, then shouldn't we blame the whole athletic department? And if the athletic department is guilty, then isn't this an indictment of our educational institution in general?  I put it to you, pacman, isn't this an indictment of our entire American society? Well, you can do what you you want to us, but we're not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America. Gentlemen!

Don't be a moron.

• Like 5

Meh...you never know what is going on in someone else's life. I'll give a 19 year old kid the benefit of the doubt when he's probably overwhelmed as fuck. 
This. No doubt his decision makes it more difficult for himself, but for all we know he didn't really have a choice. Based on his actions you can infer he certainly didn't feel like he had one. At the very least I wish it could have been a cleaner exit - better for all parties - but it's hard to have ill will in this situation.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Oh, it happens way before that. There are some really stupid people here. 

Your two takes have been "there are some awful takes here" and "there are some really stupid people here" neither of which resemble anything close to a contribution. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Correct.  But he’s right.  Dude is coming from a position no one else on this thread has known.  

Good luck kid.  Wish it would have worked out in Austin. 

Sure, there's no need to be nasty about it, but I'm pretty sure everyone on this thread has been a 19 year old and made awful decisions before.

Not judging the guy but I'd like some more context. In a vacuum it seems like he's shying away from an opportunity that very very few are ever blessed enough to receive.

1 hour ago, immortal13 said:

What the fuck? You don't just quit on your team. Sorry but I can't wish this guy any luck

I don’t know anything about his situation but some of the comments about recruits from guys that can’t play or never will makes me want to kick some flabby asses. Not saying you are but this is bs. He’s a kid. Fucking A. Some of the shit here and the old recruiting thread makes me want to kick again some flabby asses. It just does. Uggh! 

• Like 3

Just now, Nicole44 said:

I don’t know anything about his situation but some of the comments about recruits from guys that can’t play or never will makes me want to kick some flabby asses. Not saying you are but this is bs. He’s a kid. Fucking A. Some of the shit here and the old recruiting thread makes me want to kick again some flabby asses. It just does. Uggh! 

I didn't say anything disparaging about the kid. Lighten up, Francis

Just now, ztejas said:

Sure, there's no need to be nasty about it, but I'm pretty sure everyone on this thread has been a 19 year old and made awful decisions before.

Not judging the guy but I'd like some more context. In a vacuum it seems like he's shying away from an opportunity that very very few are ever blessed enough to receive.

Or he's just unhappy and wants to leave, and that's OK.

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

But that's the point...context or not he's a kid making a decision. Maybe he will regret it some day, maybe he won't. God knows I made plenty of horrible decisions at that age. Luckily for me, I wasn't in a fucking fishbowl. Life is life, man. He just happened to end up in a position where a bunch of people give a shit what he does. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

Or he's just unhappy and wants to leave, and that's OK.

If that's the case I wish him success and hope he finds a program where he's a better fit.

I just worry he might regret this down the line. You don't take a football scholarship at Texas lightly. Maybe he has something serious going on family wise - just hope he's making the right decision.

1 minute ago, pops said:

But that's the point...context or not he's a kid making a decision. Maybe he will regret it some day, maybe he won't. God knows I made plenty of horrible decisions at that age. Luckily for me, I wasn't in a fucking fishbowl. Life is life, man. He just happened to end up in a position where a bunch of people give a shit what he does. 

I give less of a shit what he does and more hope he's making the best decision for his future. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

I give less of a shit what he does and more hope he's making the best decision for his future. 

As hard as this is to believe, leaving college when you're unhappy or unprepared, even the University of Texas, might be the best decision in the long run. On the other hand, it might not be.