Cool Pictures of Music Icons

dcbc

• 2 weeks later...

I'm gonna break from the topic just a bit, because I find this photo so cool.  Some of you know I marched in a famous drum & bugle corps from Chicago called The Cavaliers.  That corps was founded in 1948 as a Boy Scout troop, and pulled from mostly inner-city Chicago, teaching kids to play if they couldn't (and most couldn't).  Typically the members were pretty tough street kids.  These days, not so much, and nobody is joining if they don't already play and do so at an extremely high level.

Back in those days drum & bugle corps were ubiquitous, and existed almost on a neighborhood basis in major Midwestern and Eastern cities.  Corps were essentially gangs.  Brawls were very common, and sometimes quite violent.  This picture is from the 1950's, and shows five guys from a Chicago corps called "The Chi-Angels".  The one on the left went on to join The Cavaliers.

These are the type of kids the writers of "West Side Story" and "Grease" were trying to depict.

Image may contain: 4 people, people sitting and outdoor

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Like 2

I don't know how to put pictures up here on the new site. In 1964 The Rolling Stones played at West View Park's Danceland. Our family was living in Texas at the time, I was not yet born. 

As a young gal my mother was at Danceland many times with her brothers and sisters. My Aunt Wilhelmina, on my father's side, lived just up the street from the park. I only know one person who was at the show, it was Bill Hillgrove, presently the radio man for the Steelers, Pitt Football and Pitt Basketball. At the time he was a recent Duquesne University graduate and starting out in radio.

There are a few pictures here, and an awesome quote from Keith Richards, in the accompanying story that also mentions the ticket cost $1.50

https://www.pittsburghmagazine.com/rip-this-joint/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • dcbc changed the title to Cool Pictures of Music Icons
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/16/2020 at 10:24 PM, Anton Chigurh said:

Watched “When Dallas Rocked” on KERA just now. They showed a few photos of SRV playing at Lee Park in Irving in 1980.

You can see an earlier, less-worn Number One.

9e84e57cefc62c9aa4dc679013786191.jpg

Minor quibble, but that"s Lee Park, now Turtle Creek Park, in Dallas on Turtle Creek.  The building is Arlington Hall.

I never realized until recently that Joe Ely is one of the Spanish-singing guys in the background on "Should I Stay or Should I Go"?  I'd love to hear what kind of performance royalties that has made him over the years (if any).

I just heard a Joe Ely version of that song on outlaw country the other day. Pretty cool.

Joe seemed to be an honorary member of The Clash. He made up the Spanish part and admits it’s all jibberish because none of them actually spoke Spanish.

If you’re a fan of the clash this is a great podcast hosted by Chuck D. Lots of great stories and interviews with the band and the people around the band. Joe Ely is in it a lot.

https://joestrummerfoundation.org/stay-free-the-story-of-the-clash/

• Hook 'Em 2