Cool Pictures of Music Icons

dcbc

2 hours ago, Mileslong said:

Yep. Kind of like early Jimmy Page, no telecaster ever sold as many les Paul’s. Bunch of young guitarists thinking that’s what they were hearing.

Not that I’m a big Beck guy, but I don’t believe I have ever seen him play anything but a Stratocaster. Hell, he has his own signature Strat model. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

Not that I’m a big Beck guy, but I don’t believe I have ever seen him play anything but a Stratocaster. Hell, he has his own signature Strat model. 

Yeah, it's the whammy bar he uses so much.  Maybe early on he didn't need/use it?

I am not a Jeff Beck fan.  I don't get him at all.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, it's the whammy bar he uses so much.  Maybe early on he didn't need/use it?

I am not a Jeff Beck fan.  I don't get him at all.

I never could groove it either. I bought Blow by Blow and Wired when they were released and both were sort of flat to me. And I never went back to that well. It was like John McLaughlin Mahavishnu light without Jean-Luc Ponty and Jan Hammer.

6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

When I first saw that photo, I thought it was Jeff Beck, but then I started thinking it was Christopher Guest, which was further bolstered by someone's comment, and now it turns out it is Jeff Beck?

They are the definition of "doppelganger".

Oh shit, did I get it wrong? I thought it was Beck, but if it isn’t it explains the Tele.

On 4/3/2021 at 3:01 PM, jimmyjazz said:

When I first saw that photo, I thought it was Jeff Beck, but then I started thinking it was Christopher Guest, which was further bolstered by someone's comment, and now it turns out it is Jeff Beck?

They are the definition of "doppelganger".

Maybe this was the first Spinal Tap band. Explains the lack of a drummer in the picture.

David Gilmour's wife continues to post outstanding stuff on instagram. While other aging rockers still dye their hair and cover up baldness with caps and bandanas, Dave has just straight up embraced the Grandpa vibe. He's constantly out ambling in pastures with his dogs and admiring his garden. Love it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLCpWYGhu_o/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Polly Samson (@pollysamson) • Instagram photos and videos

Also, his youngest daughter is a straight up clone of him. It's uncanny. I've posted this before but I'm posting it again because I freaking LOL every time I see it. "GTFO Dad, I'm Trying to Do Music!!!"

04a4b2c2b489941f3fdf49e78c107a12.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

8d94fbb09e1e9d496e65132b195a6e80.jpg

Dave Mason commenting on this pic of he and Paul McCartney backstage at a small venue in New Orleans in 1975.

“In February 1975 I was playing at a great old venue called the Warehouse down in New Orleans. Denny Laine and Jimmy McCulloch from Wings came to my show and after the gig, told me to come over to Allen Toussaint's Sea-Saint studios the next day. Thankfully, I had a day off.

Paul McCartney was there recording what would become the album "Venus and Mars". We had a great time. I always loved hanging with Denny, a favorite of mine since I first heard him sing “Go Now” when he was with The Moody Blues. The rest of the band was great, and what can you say about Paul McCartney? Of all the musicians of my generation, for me he’s really the most untouchable. Just the best.

So I wound up playing guitar on “Listen to What the Man Said,” released on this day in 1975, and wouldn’t you know, it went on to become a #1 record. Here we are working on the song (and that's Denny at left, adding some percussion). While the Warehouse and Sea-Saint are gone (along with Jimmy), Paul, Denny and I are still here, still making music and still believing in the power of rock-and-roll. And if I’ve learned anything...if Paul McCartney ever asks you play on something, you simply listen to what the man says…”

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Mileslong said:

8d94fbb09e1e9d496e65132b195a6e80.jpg

Dave Mason commenting on this pic of he and Paul McCartney backstage at a small venue in New Orleans in 1975.

“In February 1975 I was playing at a great old venue called the Warehouse down in New Orleans. Denny Laine and Jimmy McCulloch from Wings came to my show and after the gig, told me to come over to Allen Toussaint's Sea-Saint studios the next day. Thankfully, I had a day off.

Paul McCartney was there recording what would become the album "Venus and Mars". We had a great time. I always loved hanging with Denny, a favorite of mine since I first heard him sing “Go Now” when he was with The Moody Blues. The rest of the band was great, and what can you say about Paul McCartney? Of all the musicians of my generation, for me he’s really the most untouchable. Just the best.

So I wound up playing guitar on “Listen to What the Man Said,” released on this day in 1975, and wouldn’t you know, it went on to become a #1 record. Here we are working on the song (and that's Denny at left, adding some percussion). While the Warehouse and Sea-Saint are gone (along with Jimmy), Paul, Denny and I are still here, still making music and still believing in the power of rock-and-roll. And if I’ve learned anything...if Paul McCartney ever asks you play on something, you simply listen to what the man says…”

That's awesome. Dave Mason is on the Mt. Rushmore of great musicians that don't get enough credit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 5/17/2021 at 2:05 AM, Hornius Emeritus said:

I don't know whether he's iconic, but I took this photo of Charlie Crockett.

Charlie Crockett at Coupland Dance Hall BW.jpg

Iconic!  Hell Yes!  So many GREAT things about this photo, but the blurred neon beer bottle is the icing on the cake.  

First time we saw Charley, the guy sitting next to me said, "He's a gotdamn minstrel. "  Yep...and an old school Honky-Tonk one at that.  Old soul/old school gets thrown around WAY too much, but with Charley, it fits the bill. 

On 5/6/2021 at 4:18 PM, noharleyyet said:

NSIAP

May be an image of 2 people and beard

I'll do my best to shorten this.  I knew a guy who was dating a girl in LA in the early 80s in LA.  She was an aspiring singer...he was running from some Columbians in South Florida who felt he didn't treat them fairly in a business dealing.  Her name was Jennifer and he knew she was from Nashville.  One day, she goes home to see her folks and then calls and says for him to come out to Nashville.  Tells him to go to John Wayne airport....a plane would take him to Nashville and a car would pick him up.  

He walks into the back door of the house and his girlfriend says, "Why don't you go in and meet my dad.  He is in there with some friends."  He walks in to the den and see Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson and Robert Duvall.   It then dawns on him.   Jennifer Jennings.  From Nashville.   Jennifer is actually Duane Eddy's daughter, but Waylon adopted her when he and Jessi got married.  

They ended up getting married and he works for Waylon and Jessi until the divorce.  I've seen the wedding pictures, tons of pics from planes and busses and picture of Jessi coming down the stairs in a short, short night gown.  I tried to steal it but he made me give it back. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 5