Game 10: Texas vs. Grand Canyon, 5 PM, LHN

Machinator

2 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Ramey needs to get more precise with his passing. He'll hit the wide open teammate but the pass isn't anywhere near the shooting pocket and it  throws the guy off his rhythm. 

That is the type of thing that a good coach would get Ramey to work on.

How little respect is there for Texas basketball?  Driving down from Dallas, I listen to the wrap up of the Lake Travis playoff game and then twelve minutes of commercials on 104.9 before they break away to the basketball game.  First thing I heard was that Roach was being subbed in, no idea of how many minutes into the game.  Nothing says we don't give a shit about you when the flagship station runs commercials instead of the game.

1 minute ago, Cameltoe said:

We've got 7 guys on the roster this year who've attempted more than 20 3-pt shots this year. That's awesome to be able to spread the floor like that with shooters.

we rank 294th in the country in 3P%. shooting a bunch of threes isn't the goal. hitting them like we have tonight is. 

• Like 1

Just now, Goo Punch said:

we rank 294th in the country in 3P%. shooting a bunch of threes isn't the goal. hitting them like we have tonight is. 

Yeah obviously, but you gotta crawl before you can walk. The fact we have guys that have the confidence to pull the trigger from deep is a start, if they get better at making them then we have a powerful offense.

2 minutes ago, Cameltoe said:

Yeah obviously, but you gotta crawl before you can walk. The fact we have guys that have the confidence to pull the trigger from deep is a start, if they get better at making them then we have a powerful offense.

Crawling before walking is being able to reliably hit 3s before shooting a bunch of them.  I could go out on the court and have the confidence to brick threes.

5 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

Crawling before walking is being able to reliably hit 3s before shooting a bunch of them.  I could go out on the court and have the confidence to brick threes.

Not really. These guys are basketball players playing on a serious team, the fact they are allowed to jack them means the coaches have confidence in their ability to make them and they do to. Hopefully the percentages improve.

3 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Roach and it's not even close.  Im the same age as Clack and played against him in high school and on campus and his ups don't compare to Roach's

hmm. here's my dilemma- i think Roach is the better dunker, but that Clack had a much larger resume. Clack got dunks on dunks on dunks. And as big as he was with the hops that he had he could fly. He had an oop in Waco where he hung in the air for what felt like five seconds. Playing with guys like Reggie and Chico in Tom Penders' system certainly helped. Either way, they're the two best in-game dunkers of my lifetime. 

Edited by Goo Punch

good to see them hit shots. I'd rather have consistency though.  the problem is we are cold, cold, hot, cold, cold, cold, hot.  this will kill us in conference if our hot night matches with someone else's hot night and we lose.

i do agree that we have 4 or 5 guys that could get hot on any night as opposed to 1 or 2, which might help us get through conf.

2 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

hmm. here's my dilemma- i think Roach is the better dunker, but that Clack had a much larger resume. Clack got dunks on dunks on dunks. And as big as he was with the hops that he had he could fly. He had an oop in Waco where he hung in the air for what felt like five seconds. Playing with guys like Reggie and Chico in Tom Penders' system certainly helped. Either way, they're the two best in-game dunkers of my lifetime. 

Despite both being listed at around the same height Clack seems to be taller and clearly a bigger guy to handle physicality while dunking. Plus Clack crashed the boards viciously and much more often than Roach. Also, Clack usually had shooters on the court with him in Perryman, Freeman, Axtell, Coleman, etc so his drives to the lane didn't have as much help defense.  

28 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

. . . and Luke Axtell (one year).

and it was pretty cool how the Axtell fiasco led to Rick Barnes. The Axtell grades scandal is up there with Jordan Shipley's injuries in terms of things that were bad that ended up being good. If Axtell's grades aren't leaked then TJ, KD, the Final 4, none of it happens. And if Shipley doesn't suffer two season ending injuries his first year then he and Colt don't enjoy their success together. Might also add that Chris Owens' ACL injury led to James Thomas getting a ton of valuable playing time in a season where we went to the S16 followed by the Final 4 the next year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

and it was pretty cool how the Axtell fiasco led to Rick Barnes. The Axtell grades scandal is up there with Jordan Shipley's injuries in terms of things that were bad that ended up being good. If Axtell's grades aren't leaked then TJ, KD, the Final 4, none of it happens. And if Shipley doesn't suffer two season ending injuries his first year then he and Colt don't enjoy their success together. Might also add that Chris Owens' ACL injury led to James Thomas getting a ton of valuable playing time in a season where we went to the S16 followed by the Final 4 the next year. 

Yeah and if Rick hadn't been a complete fuck-up in his last 6 years here then the Shaka Smart era would've never happened and we wouldn't have the talent we have today. Oh how the lord works in mysterious ways!

• Like 2