Things not going well for the Oregon marijuana industry

Parliament

Oregon's legalization law was VERY Capitalist and lots of producers and retailers jumped in.  Well, now they have "overproduction" and consumers are happy and growers are not.  Ie, supply and demand are shaking themselves out.  (Some guy bought a pack of joints for $16.  Is that cheap?  Dunno)

Not intended to be political at all.  It's just intriguing that this is happening.  The story is surprisingly even.  Producers complain some about "lack of regulation," and consumers are happy about low prices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyCbAuHqN0M

1 hour ago, Kyle said:

Seems like things are working out perfectly. If producers cannot earn an acceptable return, they may choose to exit, reduce supply, and increase price, which may make it more viable for other producers.

But we were counting on gouging our buyers...

The weed industry is wildly overvalued right now.  Bases on market prices in California, the weed in the ground is worth more than all of the grapes for wine.  That's absurd.  Major bubble going on.

As for booze, the regulation is a good thing, although I'm not a fan of the patchworks restrictions we have on sales around the country.  The regulation protects quality and production standards.  You can't just call yourself "bourbon" and in the case of wine, you must state the varietal, the location of growing, and the alcohol content.  One thing prohibition and it's demise did was clean up the industry and have more uniform standards.

Weed will probably take a similar trajectory.

6 hours ago, slorch said:

But we were counting on gouging our buyers...

They thought they were going to get criminalized, street corner prices and didn’t factor in the many layers of middlemen taken out of the market as well as transport costs from out of country.  

I.e. market factors working beautifully 

Edited by Trey3216

8 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

The weed industry is wildly overvalued right now.  Bases on market prices in California, the weed in the ground is worth more than all of the grapes for wine.  That's absurd.  Major bubble going on.

As for booze, the regulation is a good thing, although I'm not a fan of the patchworks restrictions we have on sales around the country.  The regulation protects quality and production standards.  You can't just call yourself "bourbon" and in the case of wine, you must state the varietal, the location of growing, and the alcohol content.  One thing prohibition and it's demise did was clean up the industry and have more uniform standards.

Weed will probably take a similar trajectory.

Edited by immortal13
Wrong thread

Right now there are pockets of legalization. Until it becomes more normalized nationwide where money and product can travel across state lines legally the market will continue to be flooded in these pockets. Make it legal federally and the ability to ship through non-legalized areas just like alcohol reciprocity. Then it becomes a true open market.

4 hours ago, RPM said:

Right now there are pockets of legalization. Until it becomes more normalized nationwide where money and product can travel across state lines legally the market will continue to be flooded in these pockets. Make it legal federally and the ability to ship through non-legalized areas just like alcohol reciprocity. Then it becomes a true open market.

I believe states control alcohol sales across state lines, not the feds.  We can't ship hootch here in VA. I doubt weed would be any different.

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I believe states control alcohol sales across state lines, not the feds.  We can't ship hootch here in VA. I doubt weed would be any different.

You can ship alcohol through dry areas. There's no Smoky and the Bandit across dry state lines anymore. My analogy may be bad, but you understand the point I'm trying to make. You at least should be able to ship weed from manufacturer in Oregon to consumer in Florida as easily as wine.

23 minutes ago, RPM said:

You can ship alcohol through dry areas. There's no Smoky and the Bandit across dry state lines anymore. My analogy may be bad, but you understand the point I'm trying to make. You at least should be able to ship weed from manufacturer in Oregon to consumer in Florida as easily as wine.

Va. does not allow hard liquor to be shipped across/ into the state line. I get "car parts" shipped form my guy in Conn. for those rare blends of bourbon goodness I can't find here. 

That included wine clubs for many years, but I believe you can now. Like I said alcohol is a state issue and not a federal issue, weed won't be any different.

Yes, I do get your point and support your run for office to get it passed in all states nationwide !!!!  Same thing with insurance. You can't sell insurance across state lines because of each states unique little phifedom of regulatory BS.  That's one of the reasons it's so expense in many places now.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

1 hour ago, Hate said:

It is done in controlled environments for the most part.  

Historically the coastal mountains of Southern Oregon and Northern California have been areas that had outdoor illegal volume grows.

Most of the legal weed in Oregon is being grown indoors, however some of the major players are trying to develop outdoor "in the ground" grows to maximize production and decrease costs to compete in the current environment.  If that is succesful prices will continue to fall.  

2 hours ago, RPM said:

Individual states decided what can ship in and what can't.  For example, Kentucky does not allow wine shipments to individuals.  (They think they're protecting the bourbon industry but whatever.)  They can ship to independent distributors via the three tier system.  It'll be interesting if and when weed goes to that model.

2 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

What climates do you need to make great weed?  Just curious what area in the country would be the best producers assuming it was legalized everywhere.  Or is it all done in controlled environments? 

South of the 30th parallel is best for quality, outdoor growing, based on hours and intensity of the sun, but there are no places in the US that are legal to grow it that far south (basically south of San Antonio and much of Florida).  Most growers are using controlled environments.

It's WEED. As in, it's a WEED. It will grow anywhere there is soil, water, and light. No, you won't always have this blow-you-away Maui Wowie, but it will still get you high. If you can grow marigolds, you can grow weed.

There is no reason why, in a legal market where growing for personal use is permitted, that there should be a proliferation of a massive weed industry.

It's not like home-brewing, which requires special equipment, space, time, and precision. Same for home winemaking.

It's not even like home gardening, where you have to have a certain economy of scale to be able to be able to be self-sufficient on tomatoes or okra or whatever.

A person can literally put four seeds into some dirt, water it, and a few months later get blasted again and again.

It's a plant. There is nothing special about it that requires a significant industrial infrastructure. You can act like the stoner Gregor Mendel and try to create these genetically superior sativa/indica blends that give a nice body high while also giving you headspace for deep thoughs, and you can make shatter and dabs and whatever else garbage the kids are into these days, but, in the end, it's just a plant that gets you high.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Red Six said:

It's WEED. As in, it's a WEED. It will grow anywhere there is soil, water, and light. No, you won't always have this blow-you-away Maui Wowie, but it will still get you high. If you can grow marigolds, you can grow weed.

There is no reason why, in a legal market where growing for personal use is permitted, that there should be a proliferation of a massive weed industry.

It's not like home-brewing, which requires special equipment, space, time, and precision. Same for home winemaking.

It's not even like home gardening, where you have to have a certain economy of scale to be able to be able to be self-sufficient on tomatoes or okra or whatever.

A person can literally put four seeds into some dirt, water it, and a few months later get blasted again and again.

It's a plant. There is nothing special about it that requires a significant industrial infrastructure. You can act like the stoner Gregor Mendel and try to create these genetically superior sativa/indica blends that give a nice body high while also giving you headspace for deep thoughs, and you can make shatter and dabs and whatever else garbage the kids are into these days, but, in the end, it's just a plant that gets you high.

I am assuming there are degrees of enjoyment beyond the baseline of being high.  You can easily make alcohol at home if ability to get drunk is all that counts.

3 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Yeah, you can grow grapes for wine most anywhere but only a few select corners of the world make great wine.

This, It's a bit more than playing Johnny Apple seed. The growing process has to be watched and managed as flowering begins to get something more than just sorta decent pot. 

5 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Va. does not allow hard liquor to be shipped across/ into the state line. I get "car parts" shipped form my guy in Conn. for those rare blends of bourbon goodness I can't find here. 

That included wine clubs for many years, but I believe you can now. Like I said alcohol is a state issue and not a federal issue, weed won't be any different.

Yes, I do get your point and support your run for office to get it passed in all states nationwide !!!!  Same thing with insurance. You can't sell insurance across state lines because of each states unique little phifedom of regulatory BS.  That's one of the reasons it's so expense in many places now.

Perhaps I'm not being clear. I'm about talking direct shipment to consumers, I'm referring to intrastate commerce from manufacture to distribution. A shipment of wine from Oregon to North Carolina does not have to bypass Virginia.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I am assuming there are degrees of enjoyment beyond the baseline of being high.  You can easily make alcohol at home if ability to get drunk is all that counts.

If you make alcohol incorrectly at home, you'll go blind.

I guess the same could be said about some cannabis products -- if you try to make hash oil at home, you could blow yourself up.

But the difference between weed and almost any other agricultural product is that it is relatively easy to produce a sufficient quantity for personal use with limited resources of space, time, and money.

A person can't grow everything he needs for beer in his back yard. He might be able to grow enough grapes for some wine, but wine grapes are picky. You also can't grow them inside under some fluorescent lights.

I think I've mentioned this on other cannabis-related threads, but the real money in this new pot economy is going to be in the extracts and other derivative products. That's what the kids want and the businesses that perfect this business model are going to be the ones who win.

Straight flower is perishable and is subject to the same economic risks as any other cash crop -- weather, disease, pests, etc. The only way to differentiate oneself as a corporate grower and actually make money on it is to ensure uniformity and maximize yield. And, given the aforementioned reasons, I don't think that's going to be enough.

I wouldn't be surprised if, when the industry is legitimized nationally, agricultural production focuses mainly on creating a standardized raw material for the processed goods, just like cotton, corn, wheat, or any other cash crop that comes out of the ground. There will be co-ops and commodity exchanges and those who can maximize yield and operate on economies of scale will be the most successful.

There just won't be much of a market for pure flower, not because there won't be a demand, but because the suppliers will tell us not to demand it. Home growers will be like home brewers and backyard gardeners, producing and sharing styles and strains of the days of yore.

So, anyhow... where are my Doritos?

28 minutes ago, Red Six said:

I wouldn't be surprised if, when the industry is legitimized nationally, agricultural production focuses mainly on creating a standardized raw material for the processed goods, just like cotton, corn, wheat, or any other cash crop that comes out of the ground. There will be co-ops and commodity exchanges and those who can maximize yield and operate on economies of scale will be the most successful.

There just won't be much of a market for pure flower, not because there won't be a demand, but because the suppliers will tell us not to demand it.

south-park-s22e04c07-not-on-my-farm_16x9

• Like 1