Billy Joel

retread

I've told the story before, but that's never stopped me from telling a story again.  I was a sophomore at UT, living in Jester, and a kid I barely knew told me he had tickets for Billy Joel at the Erwin Center that night, and that his date had fallen through, so he thought I might want to go.  After verifying that I wasn't going to be his date, I said "OK", but was pretty skeptical, because at that time I really wasn't a fan.  I was much more into AOR rock and punk & new wave at that point.

Seats were 7th row floor, just left of center.  I was stunned at how good the show was.  It was just this onslaught of hits, songs I knew extremely well from radio, but had never really assembled as a "catalog" in my mind.  I mean, I knew they were all Billy Joel, but until you've seen him perform for a couple of hours and are literally bombarded with such a long string of extraordinarily well-crafted tunes, well, you can't really quite get it.  

I ended up going to see him several more times over the next decade.  I probably should have gone to one of the Elton + Billy tours, as I'm a huge fan of Elton John, but life intruded and I just never got around to it.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I ended up going to see him several more times over the next decade.  I probably should have gone to one of the Elton + Billy tours, as I'm a huge fan of Elton John, but life intruded and I just never got around to it.

Been to two.  Great show, but Billy outdid Elton in both (and I'm a EJ fan, and Elton himself put on an outstanding show).  Billy is a performer.

• Like 1

Been a fan since hearing My Life on the radio back in ‘77/78? Have seen him about a dozen times, once with EJ, fantastic show.  Last time was back in 2014 @ MSG, kick myself for not going once every year during his “Residency”.  

1) My Life- song that got me hooked

2) Vienna - beautiful song

3) River of Dreams - Great Live when they do a medley between chorus 

4) Stiletto - love the sax on this song

5) Nocturne - Instrumental

While it’s his signature song, I could live w/out ever hearing Piano Man again.  

Edited by Underdog
  • Like 2

This song ls a slow burn, but I really like it, channeling his inner Righteous Brothers, much better than anything off of An Innocent Man...

Very underrated live album, great versions of his early catalog.  Let's do some Ronettes...

Perfect ending to his best album, really sums up the themes of lost idealism, unfulfilled promises and expectations, broken dreams...

• Like 2

I've told the story before, but that's never stopped me from telling a story again.  I was a sophomore at UT, living in Jester, and a kid I barely knew told me he had tickets for Billy Joel at the Erwin Center that night, and that his date had fallen through, so he thought I might want to go.  After verifying that I wasn't going to be his date, I said "OK", but was pretty skeptical, because at that time I really wasn't a fan.  I was much more into AOR rock and punk & new wave at that point.
Seats were 7th row floor, just left of center.  I was stunned at how good the show was.  It was just this onslaught of hits, songs I knew extremely well from radio, but had never really assembled as a "catalog" in my mind.  I mean, I knew they were all Billy Joel, but until you've seen him perform for a couple of hours and are literally bombarded with such a long string of extraordinarily well-crafted tunes, well, you can't really quite get it.  

The first time I kissed my now-wife was at that show, 2nd row floor, just right of center (so we were pretty close to you). And the kiss was during...
For me it begins and ends with Scenes from an Italian Restaurant.

If you can’t seal the deal at a Billy Joel concert in 1990, you ain’t got NO game.
  • Like 3

Recently watched his '84 Wembley Concert on YT, just a fantastic show, probably him at his peak in Concert. 

Already mentioned but love this version and video. 

52nd Street

Turnstiles

The Stranger

Nylon Curtain

River of Dreams

* Songs in the Attic - Love the live versions of early work. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I was stunned at how good the show was.  It was just this onslaught of hits, songs I knew extremely well from radio, but had never really assembled as a "catalog" in my mind.  I mean, I knew they were all Billy Joel, but until you've seen him perform for a couple of hours and are literally bombarded with such a long string of extraordinarily well-crafted tunes, well, you can't really quite get it. 

Everyone who like his music recognizes this, but it's worth saying. One thing that really strikes me when watching his performances is how much of a force he is musically as a part of a band. Part of it is the fact that the arrangements are written to emphasize the piano, but it's more than that.

He's so gifted, and you can tell how hard he has worked at his craft. It's funny to see him look up and smile at the band. Often, it's right in the middle of a very intricate part of the song. No big deal. He's basically saying I could do this blindfolded if I wanted to.

It would be one thing if he were just playing piano, but he's also singing while playing these difficult arrangements.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, retread said:

Everyone who like his music recognizes this, but it's worth saying. One thing that really strikes me when watching his performances is how much of a force he is musically as a part of a band. Part of it is the fact that the arrangements are written to emphasize the piano, but it's more than that.

He's so gifted, and you can tell how hard he has worked at his craft. It's funny to see him look up and smile at the band. Often, it's right in the middle of a very intricate part of the song. No big deal. He's basically saying I could do this blindfolded if I wanted to.

It would be one thing if he were just playing piano, but he's also singing while playing these difficult arrangements.

Yeah, you may not like his music, but the man is a consummate showman, and a force on stage.

"Zanzibar" has a rather obvious Steely Dan vibe, but once it breaks into that extended trumpet solo . . . holy smokes.  That's some of the finest playing I've ever heard.  Gorgeous tone and light as a feather.  Freddie Hubbard is the tits.

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when Billy broke the news to Liberty DeVitto that they were doing a modern jazz tune.  I love DeVitto, but he's not the most subtle or sophisticated drummer around.  He is the epitome of a "NY drummer", and not in a jazz way.

48 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Carl Fischer on Horns for him now in Concert does an excellent job with Zanzibar.  Really a damn shame he had somewhat of a falling out with his old band members, they were a tight group in concert, Cannata was the tits on sax. 

Liberty, Richie and Russell Javors formed a Billy Joel cover band, the Lords of 52nd Street (Doug Stegmeyer committed suicide in 1995, sad story).   They're not half bad.

Edited by UTCzech III
ou sucks

Billy fan......enjoyed listening to the BJ channel on Sirius XM last month to hear some of the stories behind the songs.

Favorite Album is probably The Stranger - Movin Out, the title track, Scenes, Only the Good Die Young are all great songs......in my opinion this is best album front to back

52nd Street is a close second - Big Shot, My Life (Bosom Buddies, anyone?), the aforementioned Zanzibar, and Until the Night.

Glass Houses had some good stuff - always thought Don't Ask Me Why was an underrated Billy Joel song.

Earlier songs would include - Captain Jack, The Entertainer, Say Goodbye to Hollywood and Prelude/Angry Young Man

Obviously after An Innocent Man it started to go south for Billy. Hard to believe hasn't performed an actual album of new music in 25 years. 

39 minutes ago, PencilPusher said:

Billy fan......enjoyed listening to the BJ channel on Sirius XM last month to hear some of the stories behind the songs.

Favorite Album is probably The Stranger - Movin Out, the title track, Scenes, Only the Good Die Young are all great songs......in my opinion this is best album front to back

52nd Street is a close second - Big Shot, My Life (Bosom Buddies, anyone?), the aforementioned Zanzibar, and Until the Night.

Glass Houses had some good stuff - always thought Don't Ask Me Why was an underrated Billy Joel song.

Earlier songs would include - Captain Jack, The Entertainer, Say Goodbye to Hollywood and Prelude/Angry Young Man

Obviously after An Innocent Man it started to go south for Billy. Hard to believe hasn't performed an actual album of new music in 25 years. 

I blame Christy....

2 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Has Mark Rivera been with BJ since day one? He has to be one of the most talented musicians we dont really talk about. Hell of a sax artist.

2b089a13e47ae839a3268d19a386328a.jpg

Internet says he joined Billy in 1982. He has a pretty impressive resume as a performer and as a musical director.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Rivera

R-8096912-1455074790-9148.jpeg.jpg

as mentioned earlier - this is a fabulous album. WIth a great track list. 

Miami 2017 (Seen The Lights Go Out On Broadway) 5:05
Summer, Highland Falls 3:03
Streetlife Serenader 5:17
Los Angelenos 3:48
She's Got A Way 2:44
Everybody Loves You Now 3:10
Say Goodbye To Hollywood 4:25
Captain Jack 7:16
You're My Home 3:07
The Ballad Of Billy The Kid 5:28
I've Loved These Days

I'll probably get roasted for this, but I still love Scenes from an Italian Restaurant...of course I think a lot of that has do with that album playing the night in high school when a certain girl acquiesced to young Maroon's charm and waived him around third to home plate.

Edited by MAROON

49 minutes ago, retread said:

Internet says he joined Billy in 1982. He has a pretty impressive resume as a performer and as a musical director.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Rivera

You can hear at 1:27, Billy gives a shout out to Richie, like he wanted a sax solo right there.  I bet if you can find the demo there is probably a solo there before the bridge, or a vamp for one to be added later.  Since Richie left during the recording of the album, no solo.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Underdog said:

SGTH & CJ is a two-headed monster on SITA.  

No doubt.  I had this orig. on cassette when it came out then got the CD later.  I'd even throw in that version of Everybody Loves You Now, it flat out smokes.  Three in a row, just phenomenal, such a great band behind him.

• 4 weeks later...