2020 Senate Elections

Patrick Bateman

57 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

I always wonder about the people who knock on doors. Do you think they get cussed out and threatened with violence by the radical uneducated MAGA cult?

I think it's gonna be tough. I'm not interested in that.  I've done enough cold calling to last 10 lifetimes.  

I'll make sure she goes with a group and is safe.

I knocked on doors in Alabama for Beto “Snatching yo guns and taxing yo church” O’Rourke and only had one person get shitty.

Some people were curt but heck, I’m that way most times when I get unknown people at my door.

People aren’t usually as shitty face to face as they are online.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Voldemort86 said:

I always wonder about the people who knock on doors. Do you think they get cussed out and threatened with violence by the radical uneducated MAGA cult?

working for the census in 2010, knocking on doors was always a wild card. one crazy lady shot a census worker.

41 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

I think it's gonna be tough. I'm not interested in that.  I've done enough cold calling to last 10 lifetimes.  

I'll make sure she goes with a group and is safe.

I went walking on three occassions and each was to remind supporters to vote.  Had pre-approved list of supporters. 

Only one name was wrong, and the lady was just a tad snarky. 

People are a lot different in person.

Im my experience, when I've come upon a Republican, they've never been confrontational. A few have been quite friendly and thanked me for being involved as a young person. Many are short and make it clear they're not interested, but never outright hostile.

Phone banking is a little different. People will get a little more fiery when you're not in front of them. Then of course there's online.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

People are a lot different in person.

Im my experience, when I've come upon a Republican, they've never been confrontational. A few have been quite friendly and thanked me for being involved as a young person. Many are short and make it clear they're not interested, but never outright hostile.

Phone banking is a little different. People will get a little more fiery when you're not in front of them. Then of course there's online.

Yup. Humans are huge pussies in person, but the bravest and most vocal on the Internet. 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/14/2019 at 9:38 AM, Voldemort86 said:

probably what happens is the husband talks to his wife on the way to the polls in their beat up truck with a cracked headlight “ you’re not really gonna cancel my vote out are you honey? It’s pointless to go vote at all if we vote opposite.”

ISWYDT

• Haha 1

On 11/14/2019 at 7:38 AM, Voldemort86 said:

Don’t forget a lot of the wives of men in southern states “do what they’re told” and vote republican! Against their self interests for sure.

probably what happens is the husband talks to his wife on the way to the polls in their beat up truck with a cracked headlight “ you’re not really gonna cancel my vote out are you honey? It’s pointless to go vote at all if we vote opposite.”

I don’t like this stereotyping. Because then it’s just “Democrats go to the polls in their Prius sipping their organic goat’s milk lattes with their domestic partners” or something stupid. 

I don’t like this stereotyping. Because then it’s just “Democrats go to the polls in their Prius sipping their organic goat’s milk lattes with their domestic partners” or something stupid. 

You can pry my goat milk latte from my cold, dead hands.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

My opinion of republicans only gets worse by the day. They really are difficult people for me to understand. Over the last few weeks I’ve seen the following :

1) Republicans defend a woman in trumps administration who lied and embellished her resume to get the job. Repubs on the internet have actually said that they should give her a raise and a promotion to “stick it to the liberal media who exposed her”. How would these repubs act if they actually owned businesses and had an employee like this? Hypocrites.

2) A trumpkin slashed the big orange baby ballon at the Alabama vs. LSU game. Luckily the guy got caught, but he actually has a go fund me that’s raised over $25,000 dollars to pay for his legal fees. Should we really support and condone this kind of behavior as a society?  I would never destroy someone else’s  property over a political candidate.

3) I’ve seen Trumpkins everywhere root for the worst governor in America to be re-elected despite the fact that he lost fair and square. Bevin looked far and wide for any signs of cheating, he only gave in after McConnell told him to accept his loss like a man, but there were some in the gop who wanted him to fight as hard as possible in the hopes that the election would eventually be kicked to the overwhelmingly GOP led state legislature who would’ve voted to vote keep Bevin in place.

4) they constantly root for RBG to die.

its hard to respect people who vote GOP. They don’t seem to care about the integrity of our election systems, they like republicans who are the loudest ( and the dumbest) and they seem to be brought together by their hatred of democrats above anything else. It’s a party who thrives on fear and I’ll never understand or be one of them. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2019 at 2:40 PM, Voldemort86 said:

I walked for two campaigns in 2018. I was never threatened with anything approaching violence. My interactions with Republicans was usually polite and short. Here are some of the more interesting things I heard.

"My wife and I are big Cruz supporters but both of our daughters are Democrats and are probably doing the same thing you are. That's cool. Good luck!"

"We're both Republican but I'm voting Beto because I don't like Cruz. My wife is asleep right now and I don't want her to hear this, so you best be on your way. No, don't take my phone number."

"I'm a Republican but enough is enough. Blue wave, baby!"

The most shit I got was from a frazzled Democrat who was pissed that Beto seemed to be going easy on Ted and not flooding the tubes with attack ads. She told me I was wasting my time and wanted me to take her off all mailing and call lists. I didn't.

57 minutes ago, berlinerbaer said:

I walked for two campaigns in 2018. I was never threatened with anything approaching violence. My interactions with Republicans was usually polite and short. Here are some of the more interesting things I heard.

"My wife and I are big Cruz supporters but both of our daughters are Democrats and are probably doing the same thing you are. That's cool. Good luck!"

"We're both Republican but I'm voting Beto because I don't like Cruz. My wife is asleep right now and I don't want her to hear this, so you best be on your way. No, don't take my phone number."

"I'm a Republican but enough is enough. Blue wave, baby!"

The most shit I got was from a frazzled Democrat who was pissed that Beto seemed to be going easy on Ted and not flooding the tubes with attack ads. She told me I was wasting my time and wanted me to take her off all mailing and call lists. I didn't.

Why not(bolded)?  Think when they call her next time she will be more accepting or less?

On 11/28/2019 at 11:56 PM, zork said:

Why not(bolded)?  Think when they call her next time she will be more accepting or less?

From the chapter "Campaign Trail" 

"The late Will Burnett, longtime county judge of Hays County, told of another prize reaction. The candidate and his aide were campaigning through the countryside when they spotted a fellow working in a field near the road. Pulling over, the candidate got out and introduced himself to the fellow and started his pitch. After listening a few minutes, the farmer snarled, "Listen, I think you are a low-down, no-good reprobate, you're wasting my time, and I wouldn't vote for you if you were the last man on earth. Now go on, get out of here." Climbing back in his car, the candidate told his assistant, "Put that man down as doubtful."

Retired astronaut Mark Kelly (D) leads Sen. Martha McSally (R) by a narrow 3-point margin in Arizona, a state critical to Democratic chances of recapturing the Senate in the 2020 elections, according to a new poll.

A poll conducted by OH Predictive Insights shows Kelly leading McSally by a 47 percent to 44 percent margin, fueled by a substantial gender gap. Kelly, the husband of former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D), leads among women by a 53 percent to 38 percent margin, while McSally leads among men by a smaller 51 percent to 41 percent margin.

Kelly holds a 10-point lead in Maricopa County, which contributes about 60 percent of the statewide vote. Only one statewide candidate in recent memory has won Arizona without carrying Maricopa. He leads among independent voters by a 51 percent to 37 percent margin.

McSally, meanwhile, holds a substantial 22-point advantage in the state’s rural communities. She leads Kelly among white voters by a single point, but she holds an overwhelming 58 percent to 32 percent edge among Hispanic voters, the poll shows.

Kelly’s edge is slightly lower than the 5-point advantage he held in August, the last time OH Predictive Insights measured the race. Mike Noble, the company’s lead pollster, said that shows McSally has “stopped the bleeding.”

“Part of it may be due to the current impeachment proceedings, which have given the president and Republicans nationally a bit of a boost. We’re seeing that in Arizona as well,” Noble said.

Even a year before Election Day, voters appear to be following the race closely.

Just 6 percent of voters have no opinion about or have never heard of McSally, while more than a quarter, 27 percent, said the same about Kelly. Forty-six percent of voters see McSally favorably, while 47 percent see her in an unfavorable light.

“She is incredibly defined,” Noble said. “People are really fully decided on her. But Kelly, he’s not as fully defined with some of these groups.”

The poll hints that Arizona is likely to be a crucial battleground state in next year’s presidential contest, too.

President Trump’s approval rating stands at 48 percent, according to the poll, while 50 percent say they disapprove of the job he has done in office. Fifty-eight percent of independent voters and 55 percent of those in Maricopa County disapprove. 

Republicans currently have a three-seat edge in the Senate, 53-47. While the GOP is defending nearly twice as many seats as Democrats in the 2020 elections, most Republicans up for reelection are from states Trump carried in the 2016 election.

The OH Predictive Insights survey of 628 likely voters was conducted Dec. 3–4 and has a margin of error of 3.9 percentage points.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/474062-kelly-leads-mcsally-in-arizona-senate-race-poll

weird.

When all is said and done, I hope whatever the goods are on Lindsey, is that they are revealed. I want to know exactly for what circumstance(s) he sold out our country, the Kurds, the citizens killed in Pensacola by Saudis, Ukrainians, immigrants, victims of gun violence, and everyone else.

• 4 weeks later...

Dems need to bet 3 + VP or 4 overall to take it back  

Alabama - nasty GOP primary could help Jones

Arizona

Colorado - Gardner is toast

Georgia 2 - Collins running against Loffler would be nasty, possibly allowing a Dem to sneak through in a jungle primary 

Iowa - Greenfield raised record money and out raised Ernst in Q3 and probably Q4

Kansas - Pompeo out means Kobach is the R front runner and he was already rejected once 

NC - Cunningham raised a lot of money and Tillis is hated

Maine - High profile AF

Michigan - I think people overrate James’ chances because he just ran in 2018 and lost and Michigan is tending back to Dems

Wildcards: Georgia 1, Alaska, Montana, Texas

Really, Dems have a for sure pickup in Colorado, a probable L in Alabama, and 5 potential pickup opportunities and 3-4 wildcards 

Its hard not to see a Democratic Senate in 2021

6 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I can’t see Kelly and Trump both winning AZ, especially if Kelly wins easily.

Yup. I don’t think Trump wins AZ if Biden is the nominee. 

For anyone else, it might look like 2018 Senate/Gov. Ducey won big, Sinema won by 1/3rd but enough to be a 3 point win 

Edited by Js1

25 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

What about Maine?

democrats need to get to at least 49 seats to have a good chance of taking the majority in 2022.

Arizona, Colorado, North Carolina, and Maine. That's the path to the majority, even if Doug Jones doesn't make it in Alabama. I might even add Kansas to that tier if Korbach is the GOP nominee. 

2 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I can’t see Kelly and Trump both winning AZ, especially if Kelly wins easily.

Trump personally campaigned for McSally, in-person, multiple times, and the people of Arizona got behind a bisexual atheist instead.

I don't think Trump is winning Arizona.  Him shitting all over McCain kinda sealed the deal.

2 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

What about Maine?

democrats need to get to at least 49 seats to have a good chance of taking the majority in 2022.

Maine and North Carolina area step below Arizona and Colorado for me.

Arizona and Colorado are on a "that would really surprise me if the Democrats lost" level for me.

Maine and North Carolina are on a "I think it's somewhat more-likely-than-not that the Democrats win" level.  Within that level, Maine has a higher likelihood of flipping than North Carolina.

And then there the Iowa and Kansas-with-Korbach level, which is a "it's probably less-likely-than-not that the Democrats win, but it definitely wouldn't surprise me if it were to happen."