2020 Senate Elections

Patrick Bateman

2 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Oh, maybe Tubbyville forgot; Sessions wasn't in the Senate when he ducked and ran.  Not that I'm covering for teh evil keebler elf; but let's get shit correct.

Dotard should have thrown out a #wareagle to cement the jinx.

Edited by Fudge Nuggets

Alabama farmers are fucked but can't quite figure out who to blame:

Tuberville said valued he endorsement because the federation’s members are “down home people” who love the country. He said he tried to attend as many local meetings of Farmers Federation chapters as he could.

“I met a lot of great people,” Tuberville said. “I was around people that really care about this state and country.

“And they’re hurting right now, obviously, about the tariffs. But you know, there’s no bigger supporter of President Trump even though he’s putting a noose around their neck a little bit in terms of choking them out and keeping that price down . And they’re not making the money. So, I just hope that we get this thing over with because they’re great people.”

Mitt Walker, national affairs director of the Alabama Farmers Federation, said tariffs imposed by China in retaliation for others imposed by Trump have reduced exports to China and hurt Alabama farmers by lowering commodity prices.

https://www.al.com/news/2019/10/tuberville-says-trade-war-fallout-is-noose-on-alabama-farmers.html

Edited by Horn Under a Bad Sign

On 5/23/2020 at 11:12 AM, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

“And they’re hurting right now, obviously, about the tariffs. But you know, there’s no bigger supporter of President Trump even though he’s putting a noose around their neck a little bit in terms of choking them out and keeping that price down . And they’re not making the money. So, I just hope that we get this thing over with because they’re great people.

This is an incomplete thought. You can actually see where his brain turns off, just before it’s about to reach the inevitable conclusion. 

This is news to me.  From a Hegar email, so I'll take it with a grain of salt.

The nonpartisan Cook Political Report has already upgraded this race in MJ’s favor, and the Washington Post named Texas’ Senate seat as one of the top ten most likely to flip.

• Like 1

This is news to me.  From a Hegar email, so I'll take it with a grain of salt.
The nonpartisan Cook Political Report has already upgraded this race in MJ’s favor, and the Washington Post named Texas’ Senate seat as one of the top ten most likely to flip.

Well there are, what, 33-35 senate races? Most of them partisan locks one way or the other. Top ten doesn't mean much.

Ok fine, but Cornyn?  Texas?  I wouldn't think it would crack the top 20.

It's a massive longshot, but it's a much bigger chance of flipping than a NJ, DE, RI, AR, LA, SD etc. More than half the races are literally zero chance. I don't view the TX race as anything more than maybe one notch above that, but that alone makes it one of the ten most competitive.

3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Ok fine, but Cornyn?  Texas?  I wouldn't think it would crack the top 20.

Cornyn is an odd case in that most in Texas appear fairly indifferent to him. Cruz has more people either loving and hating him. Cornyn only had a race in 2008 when he under-performed McCain for some unknown reason.

Trump has a ceiling of 53% in Texas. I could be wrong but I don't believe he has new converts here and anyone is more popular in Texas than Hillary. This will make Trump's coattails very short. If Cornyn underperforms Trump, he's getting dangerously close to 50%.

Some combination of Biden invigorating Texas Dems and MJ catching a wave of popularity, could turn it into a race in Texas. I'm doubtful of this but not impossible.

• Like 1

It's like the AP poll in football. Did Texas really look like a good team in 2019? Not from October on. But hey, they beat Utah pretty good and we gotta fill out this top 25, so fuck it, throw them at 25. No different here.

Colorado will most likely stop having too many new polls as no one will want to waste money to see someone leading by 20. It would be nice to see more attention on Iowa, South Carolina or even Texas.

Hard to believe that graham would lose but it would be nice to see him sweat the race. 

Once Dems see that hickenlooper and Kelly appear to be locked in, look for more dem pressure on Collins, tillis, Ernst and whoever is the Montana gop senator. I don’t want to get ahead of my skis but the senate majority looks to be in play more than even trump might be. I didn’t think that was remotely possible a year ago.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

Given that the GOP Arizona senate primary isn't until August, I think there is a small to moderate chance that McSally drops out. If McConnell sees that McSally has a 0% chance of winning, why not gamble with another candidate. There is little to lose.

Is there a scenario where Kyl comes out of retirement again, run for 4-4-5 months and then retires immediately upon swearing in?  Or perhaps the governor, Ducey, could run without resigning as governor. 

I assume there is little chance Kelly loses against anyone now but the only logical choice is to go a different direction than mcsally.

40 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Given that the GOP Arizona senate primary isn't until August, I think there is a small to moderate chance that McSally drops out. If McConnell sees that McSally has a 0% chance of winning, why not gamble with another candidate. There is little to lose.

Is there a scenario where Kyl comes out of retirement again, run for 4-4-5 months and then retires immediately upon swearing in?  Or perhaps the governor, Ducey, could run without resigning as governor. 

I assume there is little chance Kelly loses against anyone now but the only logical choice is to go a different direction than mcsally.

There’s no way she drops out. She begged Ducey for the job 

7 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Colorado will most likely stop having too many new polls as no one will want to waste money to see someone leading by 20. It would be nice to see more attention on Iowa, South Carolina or even Texas.

Hard to believe that graham would lose but it would be nice to see him sweat the race. 

Once Dems see that hickenlooper and Kelly appear to be locked in, look for more dem pressure on Collins, tillis, Ernst and whoever is the Montana gop senator. I don’t want to get ahead of my skis but the senate majority looks to be in play more than even trump might be. I didn’t think that was remotely possible a year ago.

Steve Daines is the guy in Montana. Trump loves him. Would love to take that guy out of his seat. 

the folks in Maine need to be constantly reminded of Collins kavanaugh vote and hopefully that does her in. Ernst doesn’t seem to be all that popular, she could be more vulnerable then people think.

unfortunately, I think Cornyn is safe. Boring ass vanilla mcconnell type Senator.

59 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

Steve Daines is the guy in Montana. Trump loves him. Would love to take that guy out of his seat. 

the folks in Maine need to be constantly reminded of Collins kavanaugh vote and hopefully that does her in. Ernst doesn’t seem to be all that popular, she could be more vulnerable then people think.

unfortunately, I think Cornyn is safe. Boring ass vanilla mcconnell type Senator.

3 of 4 Iowa reps are Dems so it would seem like Ernst is in play OR the Dem reps are in trouble. It would seem odd if those 2 went in different directions.

Which is not at all an outlier. Blows my mind that this race is still considered a tossup by so many outlets. Colorado Is a mirror image of Washington or Oregon at this point. GOP is dead at the statewide level. It's a Democratic lock.