2020 Senate Elections

Patrick Bateman

43 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That’s basically the thing I was saying about so it h Carolina and higher black turnout driving white turnout higher. 

South Carolina is beginning to undergo a bit of the urban/rural red->blue shift that changed Virginia and North Carolina is in the midst of right now.

52 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Not great, not bad.  

NC.  4 point move for Cunningham.  This one still has me nervous.

Tight.

Those are pretty decent polls, all things considered.  Up in North Carolina and tied in Georgia (both presidential and Senate).  I'll take it.

Here's a tip on that North Carolina race--if you're saying that your guy is "within the margin of error" on every poll that comes out, he's really not.  That's a tip for the MJ Hager fans in Texas, too.  When you have every poll showing your preferred candidate down one or two points, s/he is probably down.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Those are pretty decent polls, all things considered.  Up in North Carolina and tied in Georgia (both presidential and Senate).  I'll take it.

Here's a tip on that North Carolina race--if you're saying that your guy is "within the margin of error" on every poll that comes out, he's really not.  That's a tip for the MJ Hager fans in Texas, too.  When you have every poll showing your preferred candidate down one or two points, s/he is probably down.

Especially because the odds that polls are oversampling/adjusting for non college educated whites is better than not. 

Georgia is nice, but that state doesn’t have fair elections so, it’s mostly just an extra cherry on top if it happens. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Especially because the odds that polls are oversampling/adjusting for non college educated whites is better than not. 

I'm really glad you brought that up, because it's been nagging at me.  It seems that the pollsters always fight the last battle and end up overcorrecting.

Edited by Ghost of LL
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I didn’t know MJ Hager had fans. Just people that had to vote for her and curse her. Like Tom Herman. 

52 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

wtf???

This is SO fucking perfect.  It's a fucking Warhol for Christ's sake. 

It's the Georgia GOP voters he's targeting - this will probably work.  The minute that she tries to explain that it's a Warhol, he's going to paint her as an art-loving elite and she'll lose more votes. 

6 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I didn’t know MJ Hager had fans. Just people that had to vote for her and curse her. Like Tom Herman. 

I thought she was a great candidate for Tx31 (my district). I thought she was over-reaching running for senate, and told her campaign as much when they sent out an email to their mailing list saying she was considering running. 

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, Gap03 said:

It's the Georgia GOP voters he's targeting - this will probably work.  The minute that she tries to explain that it's a Warhol, he's going to paint her as an art-loving elite and she'll lose more votes. 

Art lover, commie.  Potatoe Potauhto.  All the same

23 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I thought she was a great candidate for Tx31 (my district). I thought she was over-reaching running for senate, and told her campaign as much when they sent out an email to their mailing list saying she was considering running. 

So, great position coach. Maybe a coordinator. 

41 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I'm really glad you brought that up, because it's been nagging at me.  It seems that the pollsters always fight the last battle and end up overcorrecting.

Same. I haven't had any luck finding how they're sampling relative to 2016. There's a somewhat reasonable chance they over-adjusted for 2016 and Dem turnout is going to surpass those models and we're going to see a huge blue wave. I guess there's a chance they didn't adjust them enough too, which is what most of the Trump folks are banking on. Seems unlikely to me.

29 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I liked her for TX -31 but I gave her credit for being a better candidate than she seems to be. 

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

Same. I haven't had any luck finding how they're sampling relative to 2016. There's a somewhat reasonable chance they over-adjusted for 2016 and Dem turnout is going to surpass those models and we're going to see a huge blue wave. I guess there's a chance they didn't adjust them enough too, which is what most of the Trump folks are banking on. Seems unlikely to me.

Everything about Trump is pretty unlikely so yeah. But I think you are correct. 

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So, whose a worse politician in your mind- her or Scott Walker?

He was clearly a bad governor (see the Foxconn deal) and I find him repellent but what he does apparently works for the people he needs to reach, which is really all you need. She’s having struggles with Black Democrats in Dallas, which a Democrat in Texas can never do. Even if that’s more a Royce West problem than a Hagar problem, it’s her problem to manage and she hasn’t done it well. 

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Add another Republican Senator to Trump's shit list.  He's been on it in the past, but I doubt this will go unnoticed by Trump.   

He was also the only Republican senator (nonRomney) honest about impeachment. “Yeah of course he did it. I’m just not gonna go to impeach” was basically his position. 

22 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

He was clearly a bad governor (see the Foxconn deal) and I find him repellent but what he does apparently works for the people he needs to reach, which is really all you need. She’s having struggles with Black Democrats in Dallas, which a Democrat in Texas can never do. Even if that’s more a Royce West problem than a Hagar problem, it’s her problem to manage and she hasn’t done it well. 

Speaking of, here's the Foxconn deal from the desk of Scott Walker.  Nice to see multi-billion dollar deals drawn up on a single piece of stationary. 

WalkerGouSignature.jpg

Rest of the article (long read, but well worth your time):

https://www.theverge.com/21507966/foxconn-empty-factories-wisconsin-jobs-loophole-trump

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

As always, what a picture of courage and integrity. If Mitt believes that Donald Trump is unfit to serve as President he has one option that will help the country: vote for and endorse Joe Biden. But no, that would involve helping the other team so his statement and his write-in vote for Brigham Young will do precisely fucking nothing.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

As always, what a picture of courage and integrity. If Mitt believes that Donald Trump is unfit to serve as President he has one option that will help the country: vote for and endorse Joe Biden. But no, that would involve helping the other team so his statement and his write-in vote for Brigham Young will do precisely fucking nothing.

I think writing-in dead people (Young, Reagan) for office is a coward's way out. They're not on the ballot, so make a choice that you think is right for America within the 2 choices, or even the 5 choices.)  Now it's also cool if you don't want to tell anyone but stop with the announcements that you can't vote for the candidates on the ballot. 

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I think writing-in dead people (Young, Reagan) for office is a coward's way out. They're not on the ballot, so make a choice that you think is right for America within the 2 choices, or even the 5 choices.)  Now it's also cool if you don't want to tell anyone but stop with the announcements that you can't vote for the candidates on the ballot. 

Shh. You're going to upset Anastasis and Wulaw.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

NYT/Sienna says Ernst is up. 

With 6% Undecided.  I would take Greenfield in that situation.  

(2% for Stewart, 2% for Herzog, 1% for write-in, 1% for not voting on Senate)

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Mitt should go independent.  Hell, the Mormons already flirt with that as it is, given that quite a few have spoken out against Trump.

Spoiler

Mitt Romney (@MittRomney) | Twitter

Yeah, Mitt wants to be seen as the adult in the room advocating for a policy based, kind, more understanding approach to American politics while still both-siding like the Dems are equally accountable for the state things are. As long as he (and anyone else) has that red "R" next to his name he has zero credibility. 

I'm sure in his head he's sticking around to fight for the soul of the GOP, but that war has been lost. If he truly takes issue with what this administration has done he has enabled Trump and people like him and his light push-backs do nothing the change the fact that he is complicit.

And maybe bailing on the GOP once and for all wouldn't make any difference either but it would at least it would show some courage in his supposed convictions. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 10/20/2020 at 2:26 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

According to her social media, she's been in DFW all weekend, campaigning with (checks notes)...Ed Markey?...And a bunch of white people?... WTF? 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, UncleSonny said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Yeah, Mitt wants to be seen as the adult in the room advocating for a policy based, kind, more understanding approach to American politics while still both-siding like the Dems are equally accountable for the state things are. As long as he (and anyone else) has that red "R" next to his name he has zero credibility. 

I'm sure in his head he's sticking around to fight for the soul of the GOP, but that war has been lost. If he truly takes issue with what this administration has done he has enabled Trump and people like him and his light push-backs do nothing the change the fact that he is complicit.

And maybe bailing on the GOP once and for all wouldn't make any difference either but it would at least it would show some courage in his supposed convictions. 

I can tell you how he can do some redeeming work. 

Vote against the Supreme Court nominee. 

I'm more than a little skeptical 

• Hook 'Em 1

It is no surprise that Senate Republicans are jumping off the Trump train as they don't want 2022 to be another referendum on Trump. Looking ahead to 2022 it could be a blood bath if there is still an anti-Trump democratic turnout. 

Competitive open seats are in NC and PA, So far

Competitive possibly open seats are in IA, AK, WI. And VT may be an open D seat where they will want to challenge.

Competitive with an R incumbent in FL, OH, and possibly GA.

Republicans may have another open seat in Alabama. Blunt had a tough challenge against Kander in 2016 an only got 49% of the vote. There are rumors Buttigieg could run in Indiana where Young only had 52% last time. Could SC be competitive again? Will Rand Paul face a primary challenger?

They will be forced to waste resources in states they should win, and other resources in D leaning and tossup states. They will have to defend 8 to 12 seats.

10 minutes ago, GopherRock said:

On the one hand, this race hasn't been polled at all in over a month. Also, Tina running 7-8 points behind Biden statewide makes zero sense. 

On the other, KSTP has been digging through the trash for news for 20 years trying to stay relevant. 

First comment

Oversampling of R? Dunno. 

I suspect Tina Smith is in the same situation as Gary Peters. Relatively unknown, but when it comes to Election Day the Dems will show up for her. Similar to Cornyn in Texas with republicans. 

Also, what a shame Doug Jones is going to lose to that clown. He’s one of the better senators.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

2 hours ago, UncleSonny said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I cant say it enough. Mitt Romney can get fucked by a rabid elephant. He cares about Mitt Romney first, everyone else second. He is no champion of the people, that fuckstick made his millions in private equity fucking over numerous companies and workers so Bain could line its pockets. Its almost easier to excuse dipshits like Gohmert because they are just stupid fucking people. But Romney is smart, and he is acutely aware of what is going on in this country. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1