2020 Senate Elections

Patrick Bateman

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

And if you don’t see a place to write it in, just take out a sharpie and scrawl it across the page like dear leader does. That will really show em!

If you go to the polls without ID, you can make them give you a provisional ballot and you can probably write all kinds of stuff on a provisional ballot.

So just say you forgot your ID.

/4D

11 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

IF THAT LOOSER HILLARY CAN GO BE A SENTOR IN NY WHERE SHE DOE'SNT LIVE?

THEN WHY CANT TRUMP BE SENATOR IN GEORGIA IF WE SAY SO?

STAND UP AGIANST DOUBLE STANDRDS

/all caps for when y'all post it in your Parler accounts.

As great a President as he was, imagine if he'd concentrate all of that greatness on one little state. Plus, it's closer for him to Mar a Lago, so it's a win win.

2 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I can't wait for the election day shitshow when all those "follow me on Parler" types are screaming at the election volunteers that there's no place to write in Trump's name on the ballot. Holding up lines for hours, demanding to speak to the manager. 

It'll be a snitty day in the Chik-Fil-A drive-through later.

This whole thing is so wild.  It's absolutely bizarre the degree to which the GOP is in disarray.  And it's entirely of their own making.

Meanwhile, I don't think I (or anyone) really anticipated the effect that stealing the election from Stacey Abrams would have on Black women going forward.  Historically, runoffs have favored Republicans because higher-educated, more affluent voters are more likely to turn out in a runoff.  But between white, highly-educated voters suddenly skewing Democratic and the turnout efforts that Abrams is leading in the Black community, I think that old pattern may be history.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

This whole thing is so wild.  It's absolutely bizarre the degree to which the GOP is in disarray.  And it's entirely of their own making.

Meanwhile, I don't think I (or anyone) really anticipated the effect that stealing the election from Stacey Abrams would have on Black women going forward.  Historically, runoffs have favored Republicans because higher-educated, more affluent voters are more likely to turn out in a runoff.  But between white, highly-educated voters suddenly skewing Democratic and the turnout efforts that Abrams is leading in the Black community, I think that old pattern may be history.

It's better that the revenge takes the form of voting. If this were a Magical Realism movie, all the offended women would have had a cooking party where they poisoned all the men, and at the end of the film the woman you were on a first date with would turn to you and say "That was GREAT, wasn't it?"

1 hour ago, RDCanecutter said:

It's better that the revenge takes the form of voting. If this were a Magical Realism movie, all the offended women would have had a cooking party where they poisoned all the men, and at the end of the film the woman you were on a first date with would turn to you and say "That was GREAT, wasn't it?"

She left 15 minutes in when she realized I had cut a hole in the box...

2 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

I don’t see the problem. Just gotta make sure I do all the cooking.

Make this happen Georgia

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/11/26/trump-conspiracies-georgia-senate-440776

Driven by Trump’s insistence that Georgia’s elections are indelibly rife with fraud, conspiratorial MAGA figures are calling for a boycott of the two Senate runoff races, slated for Jan. 5, that will determine which party controls the upper chamber.

Their reason: The two GOP candidates, Sens. Kelly Loeffler and David Perdue, are not only insufficiently pro-Trump, they may be complicit in Georgia’s electoral fraud.

It doesn’t matter that both candidates are essentially lock-step with Trump, or that there is no evidence of links to electoral malfeasance. On Twitter and its less-restrictive alternative Parler, Trump’s more hardline followers have linked the duo to the president’s favorite — and untrue — voter-fraud theories. Hashtags like #CrookedPerdue and #CrookedKelly are flying around. The two lawmakers’ Parler accounts are brimming with posts accusing them of being secret “liberal DemoRats.”

I don't trust this article more than the pre-election polls, but it would be *muah* if it happens.

Spoiler

Trump’s conspiracies have MAGA world talking Georgia boycott

President Donald Trump’s demonization of mail-in voting may have cost him votes in the recent election. Now, his demonization of Georgia’s entire electoral system is hurting his party’s chances at keeping the Senate.

Driven by Trump’s insistence that Georgia’s elections are indelibly rife with fraud, conspiratorial MAGA figures are calling for a boycott of the two Senate runoff races, slated for Jan. 5, that will determine which party controls the upper chamber.

Their reason: The two GOP candidates, Sens. Kelly Loeffler and David Perdue, are not only insufficiently pro-Trump, they may be complicit in Georgia’s electoral fraud.

It doesn’t matter that both candidates are essentially lock-step with Trump, or that there is no evidence of links to electoral malfeasance. On Twitter and its less-restrictive alternative Parler, Trump’s more hardline followers have linked the duo to the president’s favorite — and untrue — voter-fraud theories. Hashtags like #CrookedPerdue and #CrookedKelly are flying around. The two lawmakers’ Parler accounts are brimming with posts accusing them of being secret “liberal DemoRats.”

The swelling anger is not just emanating from everyday QAnon believers in the MAGAverse. It’s also coming from prominent lawyers working on Trump’s behalf, including Sidney Powell, who was briefly a lead attorney in Trump’s push to overturn the election.

The growing chorus has caught the attention of some of Trump’s top surrogates, who have scrambled to push back against the movement. “I’m seeing a lot of talk from people that are supposed to be on our side telling GOP voters not to go out & vote for @KLoeffler and @Perduesenate. That is NONSENSE. IGNORE those people,” implored Donald Trump Jr., the president’s son and typically a MAGA world leader, in a Monday tweet.

The top comments below the tweet disregarded the plea: “We’re telling everyone to write in Donald J Trump!” one read.

Although Trump pledged Thursday to visit the state in early December, the tensions symbolize the broader fights likely to erupt as Trump’s presidency dwindles. Trump was always an insurgent figure who grafted his loyal base onto the GOP. Once Trump is no longer the top elected Republican, that base may simply follow him wherever he goes — attacking anyone who shows daylight with Trump, spinning up “evidence” for Trump’s preferred conspiracies and, as in Georgia, boycotting the political system as punishment for betraying their leader.

And while it’s hard to tell exactly how much of the online chatter reflects wider voter sentiment, some Republicans are worried the conspiracy talk could shave off just enough MAGA voters to hand a tight race to the Democrats.

“Whenever you have a close election, any distraction can be decisive, and by all accounts, the runoffs in Georgia are going to be close, just like they were in November,” said Alex Conant, a political strategist and the former communications director for Sen. Marco Rubio’s presidential campaign in 2016. “I think Republicans need to focus the runoffs squarely on stopping Joe Biden's agenda. If it's about Trump and conspiracy theories, that only divides our party and emboldens Democrats.”

Loeffler’s campaign did not return a request for comment, and Perdue’s campaign declined to comment.

Statewide races in Georgia have become tossups in recent years.

Trump lost by roughly 12,000 votes in the Nov. 3 election, two years after Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp narrowly bested Democratic challenger Stacey Abrams by just under 55,000 votes. The 2020 Senate races have been no different. Both moved to runoffs after no candidate could secure the state’s required 50 percent threshold on Election Day.

But the races aren’t identical. Perdue was running against one opponent, Democrat Jon Ossoff, and earned 88,000 more votes on Nov. 3.

Loeffler, meanwhile, was running in a special election after Kemp appointed her to a vacant Senate seat last year. In the field of 20 candidates, Loeffler got the second-most votes behind Democrat Raphael Warnock and faced a strong Repubilcan challenger in Rep. Doug Collins, a congressman popular among the MAGA set.

With Collins not advancing to the runoff, Loeffler was clear to potentially inherit his supporters. But Loeffler, a multimillionaire financial executive and WNBA franchise co-owner, came to the Senate viewed as a political moderate, even if she has since clung tightly to the president. For instance, Loeffler recently joined Purdue to call for the state’s Republican secretary of state to resign over unproven allegations of voter fraud in the Nov. 3 election.

Still, Trump’s most fervent supporters have not always flocked to Loeffler’s side. And now they’re being egged on by some of the president’s close allies.

Powell, Trump’s erstwhile attorney, turned parts of the MAGA community against Loeffler when she started pushing an untrue allegation that Loeffler had somehow conspired with a voting technology company, Dominion Voting Systems, to suppress votes for Collins.

The QAnon-leaning MAGA community has long looked to Powell as a leading authority on such deep state plots against Trump’s supporters, especially after she took over as Michael Flynn’s attorney. The one-time Trump national security adviser had pleaded guilty to lying to the FBI, but Powell came in and started alleging the authorities had actually duped and coerced him, a narrative that played well to Trump’s base. Trump on Wednesday formally pardoned Flynn after months of speculation.

And Powell isn’t the only Trump-affiliated attorney demeaning Loeffler and Purdue to the MAGA crowd.

Lin Wood, a prominent Georgia attorney who filed his own suit to overturn the state’s results, has repeatedly called for Loeffler to drop out of the race, pressed Perdue to show more Trump loyalty and for them both to begin “investigations” into the election.

“Threaten to withhold your votes & money,” he directed his followers on Twitter.

Wood seems to hold a special ire for Loeffler, tweeting about unrealistic scenarios in which she could be replaced by Collins and threatening to turn his “patriots” against her.

The vitriol is not necessarily widespread in the MAGA crowd, though.

Debbie Dooley, a founder of the Tea Party movement in Atlanta and vocal Trump supporter, had supported Collins in his race against Loffeler. While she was still undecided on whether to vote for Loeffler in the runoff, she called the chatter about boycotting the race the “most asinine thing I've ever seen in my life.”

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

That’s because it’s not. Schumer is worthless.

No shit. I will never forgive him for pushing serial philanderer Cal Cunningham on us here in NC. There was a perfectly well qualified woman from Durham (and "woman from Durham" is code-speak for "person of color") who would have kicked Tillis' lily-white ass up one side and down the other. But even though it's purple, NC is a bible-thumpin' state. There's plenty of black folk who left the senate box unchecked, even though they love Roy Cooper as governor. Schumer lost NC, plain and simple.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Walden Ponderer said:

No shit. I will never forgive him for pushing serial philanderer Cal Cunningham on us here in NC. There was a perfectly well qualified woman from Durham (and "woman from Durham" is code-speak for "person of color") who would have kicked Tillis' lily-white ass up one side and down the other. But even though it's purple, NC is a bible-thumpin' state. There's plenty of black folk who left the senate box unchecked, even though they love Roy Cooper as governor. Schumer lost NC, plain and simple.

When did you get out of college station?