2020 Senate Elections

Patrick Bateman

2 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

Georgia is getting bluer as well.

at the same time, Ohio and Iowa seem to be getting redder.

I don't think I would say that about Iowa.  Three of Iowa's four congressional seats are held by Democrats.  And the Republican incumbent governor only won in 2018 with 50.3% of the vote.  

But you're damned right about Ohio.  That state is completely hopeless at this point.

Georgia is getting bluer as well.

at the same time, Ohio and Iowa seem to be getting redder.

If I’m making demographic trades, I’ll take states with growing, dynamic economies over aging, static flyover states with automation replaceable jobs.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I don't think I would say that about Iowa.  Three of Iowa's four congressional seats are held by Democrats.  And the Republican incumbent governor only won in 2018 with 50.3% of the vote.  

But you're damned right about Ohio.  That state is completely hopeless at this point.

Whiter, , more uneducated, and older..... OH!  IO!

36 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

The democrats had a good year in Iowa in 2018. Won several house races. 

the very popular democrat loebsack has retired in one house district. The repubs are running An Abby Finkenaur clone against her in her own district and Steve king has somehow held onto his seat after all of his crazy shit. 

they have a Republican Governor, a Senator in grassley who has been their FOREVER, and a psycho woman as the other senator.

when it looked like Reynolds would lose last year. Grassley spoke up and reminded the people of Iowa that the govenor would pick his successor if he died in office, which given his age is quite possible. 

The people of Iowa came thru for Grassley and voted in a woman whose woefully unqualified to be govenor because of her party affiliation.

the democrats won’t be making a serious play for Iowa in 2020.  Seems like a pretty red state to me unfortunately.

Edited by Voldemort86

The democrats had a good year in Iowa in 2018. Won several house races. 

the very popular democrat loebsack has retired in one house district. The repubs are running An Abby Finkenaur clone against her in her own district and Steve king has somehow held onto his seat after all of his crazy shit. 

they have a Republican Governor, a Senator in grassley who has been their FOREVER, and a psycho woman as the other senator.

when it looked like Reynolds would lose last year. Grassley spoke up and reminded the people of Iowa that the govenor would pick his successor if he died in office, which given his age is quite possible. 

The people of Iowa came thru for Grassley and voted in a woman whose woefully unqualified to be govenor because of her party affiliation.

the democrats won’t be making a serious play for Iowa in 2020.  Seems like a pretty red state to me unfortunately.

It's also a hell of an uphill battle for 6 EV. Not worth it in general. Iowa is not going to tip the election.

• Like 1

We are on the precipice of a geographic realignment as California refuges turn up in AZ and texas and move those states blue (like they did Oregon and Washington 2 generations ago and Nevada and Colorado last generation). Sunbelt states in Florida and Georgia and North Carolina also turning blue. 

On the other side Ohio is going the way of Missouri- former bell weather that he turned red, Iowa is on the same path, and Wisconsin, Michigan, Minnesota and Pennsylvania look like they are places that were formerly blue for a couple generations (other than Reagan) and now look like the GOP should fight hard for. 

It will be interesting to see how long the stench of Trump hurts GOP I’m the suburbs, and how liberal Democrats can get before losing suburban women voters. That’s where the battleground is in 2028, to my way of thinking. That and whether or not the GOP can crack 15% with blacks voters, 35% with Hispanics, or get Muslim voters back like they did with W for example. 

I think the 68% or whatever of white voters trump got has to be pretty close to a ceiling       .

the GOP is screwed in the presidentially for a while, the question becomes if they can distance Senate elections from the presidential. If they can’t they are in big trouble in the Senate for a while. 

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

the GOP is screwed in the presidentially for a while, the question becomes if they can distance Senate elections from the presidential. If they can’t they are in big trouble in the Senate for a while. 

Agree, but I fear it could go the other direction, where voters relax after 2020 (assuming we oust the dotard and maybe even take the Senate) and then we see what happened in 2010 where Rs re-take the House and Senate and then we are right back to gridlock and treachery.

15 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Agree, but I fear it could go the other direction, where voters relax after 2020 (assuming we oust the dotard and maybe even take the Senate) and then we see what happened in 2010 where Rs re-take the House and Senate and then we are right back to gridlock and treachery.

I’m completely totally anti-dem- so there’s no we there rooting for anything good to happen to team blue- but when I talk in a thread like this it’s straight up insight as to what I think is going to happen not shaded by go team or self loathing. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

58 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

You know how I know that won't happen?  Donald.  John.  Trump.

The fucker's not going away.  He's still going to have his twitter machine.  He's still going to be able to get on Fox News and OAN anytime he wants.  Fuck--he'll probably have daily press conferences.

Normally mid-term elections are a referendum on the president's party.  But 2022 is going to be different.  It's going to be a replay of 2020.  But it isn't going to be a nationwide replay.  The Senate map is very favorable to the Dems.  You're going to have Trumpublican seats in Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Georgia (well, probably), and Florida all up.  And against that there's really not a single Dem. seat up that should be particularly hard to defend (unless you think someone might put up a credible challenge against Maggie Hassan in New Hampshire).

And then . . . guess who is going to be the Trumpublican Party's nominee for president in 2024?  I mean, honestly--how could it be anyone else?

I think it's more-likely-than-not that the Dems take the Senate in 2020.  But if they don't, then 2022 looks very inviting.

2 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Dems may also hold the House for a generation.

Well, it wouldn't be the first time.  With the exception of two Congresses, the Democrats held the House continually from 1933 to 1995 (including a 40-year stint from 1955-1995).  I fully expect that we're going to see the same thing.

Just now, Ghost of LL said:

Well, it wouldn't be the first time.  With the exception of two Congresses, the Democrats held the House continually from 1933 to 1995 (including a 40-year stint from 1955-1995).  I fully expect that we're going to see the same thing.

need some good (accurate) census information as well. 

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

need some good (accurate) census information as well. 

That's a really interesting point, isn't it?  The Census Bureau has already said that the Census is going to be delayed as a result of COVID-19.  If it gets delayed too long, one wonders whether Biden would (or constitutionally could) just declare a "do-over" on the 2020 (now, 2021) Census.

2 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

That's a really interesting point, isn't it?  The Census Bureau has already said that the Census is going to be delayed as a result of COVID-19.  If it gets delayed too long, one wonders whether Biden would (or constitutionally could) just declare a "do-over" on the 2020 (now, 2021) Census.

51df8323-9cc6-4152-a7fc-1134e91e150a_tex

Completely agree about Ohio to the point the Dems should basically stop spending money there on presidential races but it's worth nothing there are some polls that has Biden leading Trump there right now.  He's always played well in the Midwest so there's that.  

• Like 1

We are on the precipice of a geographic realignment as California refuges turn up in AZ and texas and move those states blue (like they did Oregon and Washington 2 generations ago and Nevada and Colorado last generation). Sunbelt states in Florida and Georgia and North Carolina also turning blue. 
On the other side Ohio is going the way of Missouri- former bell weather that he turned red, Iowa is on the same path, and Wisconsin, Michigan, Minnesota and Pennsylvania look like they are places that were formerly blue for a couple generations (other than Reagan) and now look like the GOP should fight hard for. 
It will be interesting to see how long the stench of Trump hurts GOP I’m the suburbs, and how liberal Democrats can get before losing suburban women voters. That’s where the battleground is in 2028, to my way of thinking. That and whether or not the GOP can crack 15% with blacks voters, 35% with Hispanics, or get Muslim voters back like they did with W for example. 
I think the 68% or whatever of white voters trump got has to be pretty close to a ceiling       .

MN and PA will remain blue at the statewide level for a while. The entirety of the growth in these states is Twin Cities and Philadelphia. MI will follow Ohio eventually. I'd say WI too but that state is weird.

Texas still has another five to ten years before it's truly in play but it's of strategic value to democrats to make GOP work for it.

GOP will continue to have a structural advantage in the Senate due to small rural states. Ds may hold it in the early 2020s but in general it's pretty GOP friendly.

25 minutes ago, Queen Bitch said:

Fuck Ohio. Focus on Pennsylvania.

Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Arizona.

Win those and Biden’s in. I would say that if you’re in Michigan, you might as well go to Wisconsin too.

Full court press.

Make either Klobeshar or the Michigan woman gov the VP pick to solidify Minnesota or Michigan. 
I lean on the Michigan gov. 

22 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

Win those and Biden’s in. I would say that if you’re in Michigan, you might as well go to Wisconsin too.

Full court press.

Make either Klobeshar or the Michigan woman gov the VP pick to solidify Minnesota or Michigan. 

It's clear that the Trumpublicans think that Whitmer would be a good pick, based on the degree to which they are targeting her with their lunatic protests.  I would be really interested to see how all of this has affected her approval ratings, especially given that 60% still approve of stay-at-home orders.

50 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

MN and PA will remain blue at the statewide level for a while. The entirety of the growth in these states is Twin Cities and Philadelphia. MI will follow Ohio eventually. I'd say WI too but that state is weird.

Texas still has another five to ten years before it's truly in play but it's of strategic value to democrats to make GOP work for it.

GOP will continue to have a structural advantage in the Senate due to small rural states. Ds may hold it in the early 2020s but in general it's pretty GOP friendly.

Yep. I’m not saying MN and PA are in any danger of flipping right now- I’m just thinking of what a 2028 map might look like. 

6 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

It's clear that the Trumpublicans think that Whitmer would be a good pick, based on the degree to which they are targeting her with their lunatic protests.  I would be really interested to see how all of this has affected her approval ratings, especially given that 60% still approve of stay-at-home orders.

I don't get Whitmer at all.  She has pretty much ZERO name recognition.  Normally I know the VP doesn't move the needle, but this year it absolutely does.  Kamala or Stacy Abrams make the most sense to me.

31 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

Full court press.

I mean- I don’t think this is going to get contested in 6 states I think 15 or 20 bc its going to be a smooth buttfucking and the GOP will be fiercely defending places like Texas, Kentucky, GA and anywhere there is a winnable senate state. 

Its going to be an absolute drubbing. trump is, has and always will be unpopular. He could deal with that with the best economy in my lifetime but now that we are on the precipice of a Great Depression (that’s clearly not his fault but exists) any rationale to vote for him is dead. So, yeah, it’s going to be a blood letting. 

15 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I don't get Whitmer at all.  She has pretty much ZERO name recognition.  Normally I know the VP doesn't move the needle, but this year it absolutely does.  Kamala or Stacy Abrams make the most sense to me.

kamala would CRUSH pence in any debate. it would be ugly 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

You know how I know that won't happen?  Donald.  John.  Trump.

The fucker's not going away.  He's still going to have his twitter machine.  He's still going to be able to get on Fox News and OAN anytime he wants.  Fuck--he'll probably have daily press conferences.

Normally mid-term elections are a referendum on the president's party.  But 2022 is going to be different.  It's going to be a replay of 2020.  But it isn't going to be a nationwide replay.  The Senate map is very favorable to the Dems.  You're going to have Trumpublican seats in Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Georgia (well, probably), and Florida all up.  And against that there's really not a single Dem. seat up that should be particularly hard to defend (unless you think someone might put up a credible challenge against Maggie Hassan in New Hampshire).

And then . . . guess who is going to be the Trumpublican Party's nominee for president in 2024?  I mean, honestly--how could it be anyone else?

I think it's more-likely-than-not that the Dems take the Senate in 2020.  But if they don't, then 2022 looks very inviting.

If (when) Trump loses in 2020 I’d slow your roll that 2022 will be particularly good for the Dems. They will be controlling both houses and the presidency and we will be in the middle of a Great Depression. If the Obama stimulus is any indication (along with human nature) they will be paying off their constituencies and social engineering (don’t waste a crisis- this is a reset for capitalism blah blah  lab) and all sorts of energy will be spent rolling back Anything Trump touched, and the 2022 likely won’t go well for them. 

I hear you on the map- it’s basically the mirror image of how good 2018 was for the GOP- where the GOP went what- +2 in spite of themselves?  A strong year for the GOP would have been +11 (if it would have been Hillary’s first midterm I’d have predicted high single digits). 

I think Trump is too old to lose an election and still be in charge of the party. Maybe Ivanka?

but really I think it’s a Haley/Hartley ticket- and that- I would guess- might be a winner for the GOP. 

Put it this way- if Haley/Hartley can’t beat an 82 year old Biden or whoever comes out  of an open primary, probably during the middle of extreme economic pain then the national GOP is dead forever (as we know it) at the presidential level. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I feel pretty confident that the Obama hangover won’t happen again anytime soon. 2008 was a massive landslide for democrats and most people in the country were pretty happy and hopeful with the new administration.

the republicans did a spectacular job of using obamacare to alienate independents from the democrats and rile up their completely moronic base.

in addition, Democrats have been fundraising mofos since 2016. I seem to recall another reason we lost so badly in the 2010 and 2014 midterms was a lack of money / fund raising on the democrat side. Meanwhile, republicans still had losers like that ugly toad Sheldon Adelson who would donate nearly $100 million to their side.

the democrats are in a better place now. We are in position to compete in every single election now. 2018 proved just that. 2020 should at least be very close no matter what happens until November.

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Dems may also hold the House for a generation.

That’s a good point.

refer back to 2010, the GOP got ALL THEY WANTED in redistricting as a result of the tea party wave. I think the democrats have improved their fortunes in some states and the overall house map won’t be nearly as rigged against them as the map over the last decade was.

repubs need a very rigged map to win the house because their are less repubs nationwide then democrats. 

6 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

If (when) Trump loses in 2020 I’d slow your roll that 2022 will be particularly good for the Dems. They will be controlling both houses and the presidency and we will be in the middle of a Great Depression. If the Obama stimulus is any indication (along with human nature) they will be paying off their constituencies and social engineering (don’t waste a crisis- this is a reset for capitalism blah blah  lab) and all sorts of energy will be spent rolling back Anything Trump touched, and the 2022 likely won’t go well for them. 

I hear you on the map- it’s basically the mirror image of how good 2018 was for the GOP- where the GOP went what- +2 in spite of themselves?  A strong year for the GOP would have been +11 (if it would have been Hillary’s first midterm I’d have predicted high single digits). 

I think Trump is too old to lose an election and still be in charge of the party. Maybe Ivanka?

but really I think it’s a Haley/Hartley ticket- and that- I would guess- might be a winner for the GOP. 

Put it this way- if Haley/Hartley can’t beat an 82 year old Biden or whoever comes out  of an open primary, probably during the middle of extreme economic pain then the national GOP is dead forever (as we know it) at the presidential level. 

I don’t get the love for Nikki Haley. She has the trump stink on her. She was govenor of a pretty worthless state politically ( South Carolina).

she doesn’t seem very tough or a good debater. Her voice is kind of monotone. She looks nice, but that’s about it.

i don’t think she’s going to bring suburban women back if that’s what your thinking. Suburban women don’t like the GOP because the GOP wants everyone to have access to assault style weapons and they want to restrict access to abortion / women’s rights. 

6 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

That’s a good point.

refer back to 2010, the GOP got ALL THEY WANTED in redistricting as a result of the tea party wave. I think the democrats have improved their fortunes in some states and the overall house map won’t be nearly as rigged against them as the map over the last decade was.

repubs need a very rigged map to win the house because their are less repubs nationwide then democrats. 

This.

If the maps aren’t absurdly rigged, the dam will break.

Thats a big ‘if’, though.

56 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

She came in to the Pandemic under water.  I actually think the opposite.  I think they're attacking her because they want her as the VP pick.  She was not very popular to begin the year and was considered uneven in job performance.  She's also under the 60% line for Governors approval ratings.  They aren't bad but they were as high as 70+% a week ago.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/politics/2020/01/09/poll-michigan-gov-whitmers-approval-rating-takes-slight-drop/

29 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

That’s a good point.

The thing is they rigged those maps by packing the districts with upscale suburban whites who have since turned.  They make up now makes them total millstones on the Republicans.

9 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

She came in to the Pandemic under water.  I actually think the opposite.  I think they're attacking her because they want her as the VP pick.  She was not very popular to begin the year and was considered uneven in job performance.  She's also under the 60% line for Governors approval ratings.  They aren't bad but they were as high as 70+% a week ago.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/politics/2020/01/09/poll-michigan-gov-whitmers-approval-rating-takes-slight-drop/

That's because everyone in Michigan knows someone just like one of those protestors.  They all have an out of work uncle in Northern Michigan who wears camo, flies a Trump flag, has an assault right and bitches about minorities on Facebook all day while he's on SSDI.  Everyone knows exactly who those protestors are.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

I don’t get the love for Nikki Haley. She has the trump stink on her. She was govenor of a pretty worthless state politically ( South Carolina).

she doesn’t seem very tough or a good debater. Her voice is kind of monotone. She looks nice, but that’s about it.

i don’t think she’s going to bring suburban women back if that’s what your thinking. Suburban women don’t like the GOP because the GOP wants everyone to have access to assault style weapons and they want to restrict access to abortion / women’s rights. 

Abortion is the only social issue that hasn’t moved hard against the GOP. You are assigning policy position preferences to a group of people who don’t necessarily vote that way (those that move back and forth that voted for Bush, then Clinton, then Bush again, then Obama),  but rather are voting in different ways for different reasons. 

Thats not to say no suburban women have policy preferences- but if pro choice is the deal breaker than that bite really isn’t up for grabs and they also wouldn’t have voted for W, or GOP in their house races  

I don’t think they are perfect candidates, but they’d be young, good looking, articulate, have some experience but without having a super long record or close association with Trump or McConnell or the like. Or- you could go with Paul Ryan again I guess. He should be tanned, rested and ready to go. 

I’m not saying it’s a winner. I’m saying that’s the best hope for the GOP because if it doesn’t win they are screwed forever. 

On 4/16/2020 at 3:04 PM, kevwun said:

Lindsey is officially fucking nervous.  First he said Trump needed to limit his press conferences to once a week, now he's saying we need to do more testing.  Apparently the only thing that could make him grow a spine was the threat of losing his Senate seat.

The essence of the GOP.  They bow to Trump because it's the only way they think they can stay in office/power.  As soon as something disabuses them of that notion, kaboom, they're semi-human again.

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I think there are two really important considerations that make her a better choice than either Harris or Abrams:

1) Michigan--I think Whitmer nails down Michigan, which is one of the three states Biden needs to win to take the election; 

2) Executive experience--I think we all expect that there's a real possibility that Biden could die or be incapacitated at some point in his term.  And if that happens, the VP needs to be ready to step in.  And I'd prefer to have someone with executive experience.

And even if Biden doesn't die, I suspect he won't run for reelection in 2024.  And Whitmer would be an excellent candidate for the aforementioned reasons.

1 hour ago, Message Board User said:

If any of you yahoos don’t think Don Jr is the GOP nominee in 2024, you haven’t been paying attention.

Nah, brother--if dad is still alive, he'll be the nominee.  And I have no reason to believe he'll die between now and 2024.

If he is dead, then Don Jr. is going to have a helluva primary race against Ivanka.

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

I think there are two really important considerations that make her a better choice than either Harris or Abrams:

1) Michigan--I think Whitmer nails down Michigan, which is one of the three states Biden needs to win to take the election; 

2) Executive experience--I think we all expect that there's a real possibility that Biden could die or be incapacitated at some point in his term.  And if that happens, the VP needs to be ready to step in.  And I'd prefer to have someone with executive experience.

And even if Biden doesn't die, I suspect he won't run for reelection in 2024.  And Whitmer would be an excellent candidate for the aforementioned reasons.

Nah, brother--if dad is still alive, he'll be the nominee.  And I have no reason to believe he'll die between now and 2024.

If he is dead, then Don Jr. is going to have a helluva primary race against Ivanka.

I don't expect it to be Whitmer but I do think the Trump campaign wants it to be and I'm sure she's on the short list.  Michigan is 4-5% Biden right now, so Wisconsin is definitely more in play which may put Tammy Baldwin more in play.  Other option is a Val Demmings down in Florida, she addresses a swing state and demographic and was one of Biden's first supporters.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

6 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’m completely totally anti-dem- so there’s no we there rooting for anything good to happen to team blue- but when I talk in a thread like this it’s straight up insight as to what I think is going to happen not shaded by go team or self loathing. 

How are you totally anti-dem?  I wouldn't picture you as a Trump supporter. Having seen quite a lot of posts from you, I'd put you in the Romney camp, which is closer to Biden than anyone else the GOP has run with recently.  Dotardism has completely consumed the entire Republican party.

I don't think the GOP is coming back. A country saving scenario has the Dem party growing to capture "rinos", and then splitting in two. With the GOP continuing to be the Trump party but shrinking down to a size which reflects the fact that it is extremist.  Alternatively, if 40 to 45% consistently vote for right wing extremism just because "R", that will eventually lead to a national breakup. America really needs to get rid of Rush and Fox more than anything else. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I don't expect it to be Whitmer but I do think the Trump campaign wants it to be and I'm sure she's on the short list.  Michigan is 4-5% Biden right now, so Wisconsin is definitely more in play which may put Tammy Baldwin more in play.  Other option is a Val Demmings down in Florida, she addresses a swing state and demographic and was one of Biden's first supporters.

If Biden really wants to fuck with Trump, he should make it Ivanka. She wouldn't be able to help herself. She'd have to accept. And Trump would literally explode. 

1 hour ago, FondrenRoad said:

How are you totally anti-dem?  I wouldn't picture you as a Trump supporter. Having seen quite a lot of posts from you, I'd put you in the Romney camp, which is closer to Biden than anyone else the GOP has run with recently.  Dotardism has completely consumed the entire Republican party.

I don't think the GOP is coming back. A country saving scenario has the Dem party growing to capture "rinos", and then splitting in two. With the GOP continuing to be the Trump party but shrinking down to a size which reflects the fact that it is extremist.  Alternatively, if 40 to 45% consistently vote for right wing extremism just because "R", that will eventually lead to a national breakup. America really needs to get rid of Rush and Fox more than anything else. 

I kinda fit this description (Romney-ish) and I'm fucking done with the GOP unless there are yuuuuge changes.

2 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Baldwin is a candidate, as is Tammy Duckworth.

2 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

If I remember right, Abortion.