2020 Senate Elections

Patrick Bateman

17 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

Probably the best we could hope for is cornyn wins by less than 10.

hegar isn’t nearly as dangerous as Beto was.

I've said it before, but someone convinced her that almost winning one of the fastest "purpling" districts in the state meant she was ready to run for higher office. She was a great candidate for Tx31. A decorated combat vet that could keep it close in Bell county and hope to run up the score in rapidly shifting WilCo, and it almost worked. I think had she run for Tx31 again, she could have beaten Carter this go round, but as it is she's going to lose to Cornyn, and Donna Imam isn't even going to sniff Hegar's numbers in Bell county, so Tx31 is going to stay Red at least another cycle. 

By this point in '18, my area was flooded with Hegar signs. I'd bet it was 50/50 Hegar/Carter here in the SW Georgetown area. This cycle, I've seen two, maybe three Imam signs and they're all big street corner signs. No support in the neighborhoods. Maybe she's been keeping her power dry for the stretch run or something, but Labor Day is past so she better get going. I haven't seen any fundraising numbers for Hegar in a while, but maybe she's having money troubles? She's probably learning the hard way the national party isn't as eager to fund a long shot senate race as they were a winnable house seat. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Why the fuck didn’t Beto run again? 

Is he saving up for a shot at the Governor? Because I’d take that. We need to flush dominionism out of the fucking state and a blue house and a new Lt. Governor and Governor could go a long way to make that happen. 

I think that’s what he is doing. Who knows what the situation will be in a couple of years though. So much hinges on this November.  

MJ has maybe 2% of the hype that Beto had in 18 and we all know how that ended. Obviously the presidential campaign will force all others to take a back seat, but I would imagine a decent percentage of Texans don't even know who she it. Perhaps her strategy is to just count on straight ticket voters pulling the lever for Biden. I have yet to notice a single campaign sign in a yard, receive a single piece of mail, etc... Strange. 

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I don’t think I’ve seen a single Hegar commercial in Houston. Don’t think I’ve seen any online advertising or FB posts I can recall either, and I’ve already donated to act blue. It’s like she’s not doing shit. Or someone how I’m now a targeted voter. 

I’ve seen her tv ad here in Houston.  

Her social media game is really lacking, though. 

i have a weird sense that cornyn is drafting off of trumps unfavorability here.  dedicated republicans can express their disapproval with the party by going against trump but not offending their sensibilities so much as to vote both state wide races against the republican. 

the environment encourages a split ticket, and cornyn is getting the good side of the split.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, The Dog said:

LOL I get it. I think Beto screwed up not running against Cornyn. That way MJ could go against Carter again and I think they'd have a great shot to win both. 

Beto got pushed too far to the left in the presidential primaries. Too many sound bites. He'd have no chance against Cornyn. Cornyn would just run "hell yes we're going to take your guns" on repeat for two months. Beto wouldn't get within 5 points.

Texas has a LOT of Republicans that might sit this one out because Trump is offensive to a lot of Texan values, but they are still dyed in the wool conservatives through and through. 

(not making any value judgements on Beto being pushed left, just talking realpolitik here)

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 2

Quick update from the TX31 suburbs. Got out for a bike ride before the rains come and saw that some Hegar signs have sprouted up over the weekend along with a few Biden signs and a LOT of Gleason signs. Republican yards seem to be all in on the flair, with signs for every candidate from District Court up to Trump, while the Dem yards are usually one or two candidates. Makes me wonder if there's a donation level where GriftRed or whoever just sends you the whole sign collection. 

Not senate related, but it's a really good sign to me to see so many Gleason signs. I'd let the pubs keep career back-bencher John Carter if we could send Robert Chody back to his McMansion in Avery Ranch and start cleaning up the WilCo sheriff's office. 

My neighborhood has a bunch of State Rep signs (John Turner) and a bunch of Biden signs.  US Rep (Colin Allred not far behind.)  I'm still at a stage where a few houses down I look up and go "what is that sign?" and it ends up being  a pretty low key MJ Hegar sign.  The Biden to Hegar ratio is about 10-1.

16 minutes ago, Pancho said:

from the poll as well, for the “how you frame it” detractors on background checks

Q4 Do you support or oppose background checks on all gun sales, which would close loopholes in the federal law that currently make it easier for dangerous people to buy guns at gun shows and online without a background check?
Support ........................................ 77%

Oppose..........................................13%

Not sure ........................................10%

Q5 If you knew that the candidates for US Senate in your state had different positions on background checks: would you be more likely to vote for the candidate who supports background checks, would you be more likely to vote for the candidate who opposes background checks, or would this not influence your vote?

Would be more likely to vote for candidate who supports background checks.................64%

Would be more likely to vote for candidate who opposes background checks .................8%

This wouldn't influence my vote..................... 23%

Not sure............... 5%

Edited by StassneyHorn

2 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

from the poll as well, for the “how you frame it” detractors.

Q4 Do you support or oppose background checks on all gun sales, which would close loopholes in the federal law that currently make it easier for dangerous people to buy guns at gun shows and online without a background check?
Support ........................................ 77%

Oppose..........................................13%

Not sure ........................................10%

when presented with reasonable ideas, the vast majority of Americans are in favor of gun control. The problem is that a vocal minority screams that any compromise will lead to complete unarming of Americans no matter how many times the Dems maintstream say that is not their goal. 

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

At this rate I expect it to be her on her bike riding in the other direction. 

Same recommendation I have for her as I had for Beto, although MJ has the advantage of knowing how a helicopter rolls.

Needs to be at least one shot of her shooting hogs from a helicopter.

EasyKnobbyAnkole-max-1mb.gif

Or maybe just some video when she was riding shotgun in country.

tenor.gif?itemid=4805068

On 9/8/2020 at 11:03 AM, BradInATX said:

Beto got pushed too far to the left in the presidential primaries. Too many sound bites. He'd have no chance against Cornyn. Cornyn would just run "hell yes we're going to take your guns" on repeat for two months. Beto wouldn't get within 5 points.

Texas has a LOT of Republicans that might sit this one out because Trump is offensive to a lot of Texan values, but they are still dyed in the wool conservatives through and through. 

(not making any value judgements on Beto being pushed left, just talking realpolitik here)

Me. Me. Me. You are talking about me right here. I’m sitting it out. If I thought my vote was necessary to put cornyn over the top I’d probably deign to leave my home and cast it, but I’m not going to bother showing up to vote for someone I’m at best indifferent toward when the top of the ticket is marked by someone I loathe. 
If I felt some moral imperative to vote, like some around here do, I’d show up and pull the lever for Cornyn without even thinking 2 seconds about it, while also writing myself in for potus or something equally stupid (maybe just no vote). I think you are right that a lot Of this will happen and cornyn will run way in front of Trump. 

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Tillis' guy just stepped on his dick.  

The guy was over the top insensitive and should never be speaking to a constituent. Part of a job of a public official is to help point constituents in the right direction and assist with removing red tape.  However much he sucks at communicating, there is an element of realism in what he said. as a country, We have agreed to a capitalistic healthcare system. whether you have cancer or a cold, you can't expect free, unlimited healthcare. 

It really sucks for those that are not poor but still lack excess money. North Carolina opted to not expand medicaid. Tillis can't control what the NC state govt does or doesn't do. 

That being said, if this story helps him lose, I'm cool with that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

The republicans have tons of 

“ I have mine...... leave me alone and please go die under a bridge”  types. Just another reason to not support them.

I mean, we don’t let people buy flood insurance when there’s a storm in the gulf, we don’t let people buy house insurance after their house burns down and we don’t let people buy any kind of insurance after the catastrophic event happens. We also don’t let people die in the street (typically) on the flip side so it’s not like there’s a good answer. But why the hell have I spent upwards of $250,000 (and counting) so far in my life (I’m a man! I’m 42) if it’s not necessary to have when I get cancer or sometime in my family has a heart attack or something. 
there’s a huge free rider problem that exists as long as America is a mostly kind and caring country that I don’t see any solution to. All that said- dude is a moron for saying any of this out loud at his candidates event and he deserves whatever blowback comes his way. But yeah at some point what can society do and what is it’s responsibility?  Pallatative care?  Cutting edge?  Try everything possible?  Death panels?  Doctors rationing off care. 
I don’t see any good answer for any of this, but I’m all ears. Dying under a bridge sounds awful and giving everyone platinum care, whether they bought insurance or can pay for it or not, seems impractical and likely to bankrupt society. You tell me how it’s fixed. I’m all ears on this one. 

9 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

Well, we could look around and see what other developed 1st world countries with non-bankrupt societies have done with this unsolvable problem and start there. 

No fucking shit. The "THERE'S NO SOLUTION" fucking defense is fucking laughable. GUYS, PEOPLE KEEP DYING IN CAR ACCIDENTS, BUT IT'S NOT LIKE WE CAN JUST PUT A BELT AROUND THEM TO INCREASE SAFETY! BUT I'M ALL EARS!

The list of first world countries that have universal and expanded healthcare are all around us. Canada, Sweden, Denmark, Japan, Spain, Australia, Israel, New Zealand, Austria, France, Germany, Ireland, Switzerland. And that's off the top of my head. Fucking stupidity.

In fact, let's put this another way. Which country is glaringly missing form that fucking list?

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I mean, we don’t let people buy flood insurance when there’s a storm in the gulf, we don’t let people buy house insurance after their house burns down and we don’t let people buy any kind of insurance after the catastrophic event happens. We also don’t let people die in the street (typically) on the flip side so it’s not like there’s a good answer. But why the hell have I spent upwards of $250,000 (and counting) so far in my life (I’m a man! I’m 42) if it’s not necessary to have when I get cancer or sometime in my family has a heart attack or something. 
there’s a huge free rider problem that exists as long as America is a mostly kind and caring country that I don’t see any solution to. All that said- dude is a moron for saying any of this out loud at his candidates event and he deserves whatever blowback comes his way. But yeah at some point what can society do and what is it’s responsibility?  Pallatative care?  Cutting edge?  Try everything possible?  Death panels?  Doctors rationing off care. 
I don’t see any good answer for any of this, but I’m all ears. Dying under a bridge sounds awful and giving everyone platinum care, whether they bought insurance or can pay for it or not, seems impractical and likely to bankrupt society. You tell me how it’s fixed. I’m all ears on this one. 

Uh... gee, if only society had come on with a mechanism to pool our resources to provide for the collective good.  And if only we had some examples where our country and others have used that method to provide something as complex and important and healthcare. Too bad nothing like that exists. Oh well, I guess healthcare is an unsolvable problem. 

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

edit: everything I had said was already said, so I'll just add this:

BTW, the rationing is already here. Its just you just don't think its rationing when the poors can't get health care and you do, its only rationing when you worry you may not get it.

Edited by High Plains Drifter
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, High Plains Drifter said:

How about we give all citizens and legal residents and people we imprison the same level of health care that old people get? And we pay for it the same way we pay for everything else- we push it off on future generations, just kidding, we pay for it with taxes. Now I'm not old, so I don't know for sure, but I'd bet medicare pays for something somewhere between dying under a bridge and trying everything possible.

Actually sounds fairly simple.

BTW, the rationing is already here. Its just you just don't think its rationing when the poors can't get health care and you do, its only rationing when you worry you may not get it.

I’m fine with that. Let’s talk about where the lines are, who pays, how much and collectively decide that’s what we are going to do and move on with it. But, part of  America is that we all want the best- so someone will always be on the wrong side of that line and it will always be sad and a tragedy on an individual level. 
I’m not opposed to all sorts of things for the public good. Roads. Defense. Health care. Social security etc. just like I think immigration is awesome and we ought to have lots of it but we ought to decide what the most advantageous way to do it as a society is. 
the problem is that we don’t live in a world of infinite, so there’s always going to need to be a line drawn, and we always want to draw the line on the opposite side of whatever friend, family member, neighbor, parishioner, co worker or guy whose story we hear about on the news and makes us sad and say, but for the grace of God go I. So not everyone gets helped, to the fullest extent possible and there’s always this feeling of the system doesn’t work and there’s something wrong. 
I’m probably doing a shitty job of explaining it but I don’t disagree with you. 

In regards to the Hegar discussion, I’ve said it before but it’s not Beto we should be blaming for not running, it’s the Castro brothers. They’re probably the next best known democrats in the state. Beto at least tried and came close in the Senate, I don’t blame him for not running again back to back. He probably lost his shot now anyways after his gun policies. Meanwhile Julian Castro went from mayor of SA to secretary of whatever and then jumped to running for president. And there is Joaquin who is a congressman. I think the reason Joaquin didn’t run was to not conflict with his brothers presidential run, which was a failure anyways. Abbott went without a good challenger and now Cornyn who could really be vulnerable in a presidential election year, also does not have a good challenger. Julian Castro vs Cornyn would be close and I’d imagine the Hispanics would turn up.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/8/2020 at 6:43 AM, Post Oak said:

I think Hegar seems like she is a good candidate when in fact she isn't.

The presidential race has sucked the oxygen out of the atmosphere.  It's also only September. I'm reserving judgment until we see how the next 6 weeks goes and see what her ground game is like. 

I'm not going to lose any sleep over the people who didn't run. They've been disappointing for years, what else is new?

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

we already have universal health care - at least emergency health care - and it's the most expensive it could ever be, in the ER.  it's paid by local taxes usually. but the poor, once stabilized, are kicked out and told to go home.  they might be back, they might not be.  they may die at home, or die in the hospital in the ER.  truth is if we organized our healthcare like reasonable humans, it's probably close to paid for already with healthcare at the local level unburdended and other folks not having to pay for premiums.  there is no rational basis and for the love of Jesus Christ himself there is no moral basis to deny universal healthcare as a privilege of being human in a modern world.  none.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1