2020 Senate Elections

Patrick Bateman

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

I still wonder about the blackmale angle as well.

And the irony is that Graham probably wouldn't be having his election problems if it were somebody else in office.  Guy won by almost 17% in his last election.  That's a massive turnaround.

Absolutely. trump is the worst thing that happened to a ton of people politically. 

Would Trump's, and by proxy the GOP's, attitude towards them during their recent encounters with natural disasters influence that?

I might imagine so. But I haven’t seen any actual polling on it. And as I understand it, the politics is so focused on the statehood issue, I’m not sure that they have any real conceptualization of the partisan background of Trump’s failures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, thepop said:

Yup at this point best bet is to continue giving to https://secure.actblue.com/donate/getmitch or specific senate candidates 

They need to cut that list short.

South Carolina
Georgia
Montana
North Carolina
Maine
Iowa

....are the only states people should be donating to. McGrath has squandered over 50M already running a terrible campaign. She probably has another 50M coming her way based off the Moscow Mitch raging I'm seeing on Twitter. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Bruh Man said:

South Carolina
Georgia
Montana
North Carolina
Maine
Iowa

....are the only states people should be donating to. McGrath has squandered over 50M already running a terrible campaign. She probably has another 50M coming her way based off the Moscow Mitch raging I'm seeing on Twitter. 

Before giving up on some Senate races, Dems (& the GOP) need polling info on how RBG's death has impacted the races and the idea that McConnell and Trump are moving forward with a nominee. If there is a swing of a few points (I have no idea), then more states are in play. 

I guess that Peters and Hickenlooper are on there because even if there is a late shift to the right, it's critical for the Dems that those seats flip blue.

South Carolina
Georgia
Montana
North Carolina
Maine
Iowa

Why should they cut back anywhere, when they’ve taken in a huge haul over the weekend? There’s plenty of money in the six races you mention. The dems should fight everywhere. At the very least, they’re forcing the GOP to blow money in places like Kansas and Mississippi.

40 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Before giving up on some Senate races, Dems (& the GOP) need polling info on how RBG's death has impacted the races and the idea that McConnell and Trump are moving forward with a nominee. If there is a swing of a few points (I have no idea), then more states are in play. 

I guess that Peters and Hickenlooper are on there because even if there is a late shift to the right, it's critical for the Dems that those seats flip blue.

Add Alaska to that list. A dollar literally goes a lot further in Alaska than in Iowa. 

That said, if the field expands and the GOP suddenly has to play even more defense, where does it go? The next tier of races is a hard lift even with Biden at the top of the ticket (Kansas, Mississippi, Bama, Georgia, Texas, and Kentucky), and I'm sick of counting on the former Confederacy to turn blue.

44 minutes ago, GopherRock said:

Add Alaska to that list. A dollar literally goes a lot further in Alaska than in Iowa. 

That said, if the field expands and the GOP suddenly has to play even more defense, where does it go? The next tier of races is a hard lift even with Biden at the top of the ticket (Kansas, Mississippi, Bama, Georgia, Texas, and Kentucky), and I'm sick of counting on the former Confederacy to turn blue.

Yeah, I think the Dems have more money than they need. What’s the marginal efficacy of running the 3rd commercial of the break as opposed to the second. Maine seemed already at saturation (both sides) when I was up there and that was late July  I’d imagine the story is similar everywhere else it’s contested. . 

6 hours ago, Bruh Man said:

South Carolina
Georgia
Montana
North Carolina
Maine
Iowa

McGrath isn't even on the list. And while i agree you can cut the list short a little bit, a lot of candidates could use the help.

Hickenlooper will win but his campaign sucks and they are short of money. Espy and Hegar are also in single digits and they don't have much money. Alaska and Kansas are also winnable. The only person I would cut from the list is Doug Jones (unfortunately). Maybe Peters too, not sure about his finances.

7 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah, I think the Dems have more money than they need. What’s the marginal efficacy of running the 3rd commercial of the break as opposed to the second. Maine seemed already at saturation (both sides) when I was up there and that was late July  I’d imagine the story is similar everywhere else it’s contested. . 

1 hour ago, thepop said:

McGrath isn't even on the list. And while i agree you can cut the list short a little bit, a lot of candidates could use the help.

Hickenlooper will win but his campaign sucks and they are short of money. Espy and Hegar are also in single digits and they don't have much money. Alaska and Kansas are also winnable. The only person I would cut from the list is Doug Jones (unfortunately). Maybe Peters too, not sure about his finances.

Gary Peters in Michigan is also struggling.  Yes:  Stop giving McGrath money.  But otherwise, errbody.

3 minutes ago, Gap03 said:

Don't know anything about this pollster, but fascinating shift in the polls in Mississippi - from R-+26 in March to R+1 in August.  I WANT to believe - giving that old racist clown the boot would be spectacular.

super progressive AL and MS are going to end up with my D senators than the rest of the confederacy combined. va doesn't count

2 minutes ago, thepop said:

Has anyone actually seen a Hegar ad? Or received a mailer? I wish her campaign didn't suck.

I have seen her yard signs though.

She's running the same "I was wounded and kicked ass shooting at the enemy from the skid of a chopper" ad that all of us in Centex saw last election (but it's new to the rest of Texas).  She needs something more substantive.

She needs to tell the story about how she went to DC to fight for, and got, change (changed military policy).  And she needs to end it with "Texas deserves a senator who fights like a real Texan, not a senator who just obeys orders and dresses like a fake Texan...."

93684552.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

(this is why we don't cut the list)
42 percent is not a particularly good number for a challenger at this point. That said, Cornyn's been hovering in the mid 40s, which is atrocious for an incumbent. He continues to leave the door open and isn't solidifying new voters.

Some of these polls are from democratic groups so it's good to tap the brakes a bit. I think he'll ultimately run a few points better than Trump on the back of suburban whites, and I haven't seen anything thay really challenges that assessment, but damn we could use a couple quality polls here.
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, thepop said:

(this is why we don't cut the list)

thanks for the info. Interesting poll numbers: https://consumerenergyalliance.org/cms/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/CEA-TEXAS-Track.pdf

I wondered if this was a Democrat leaning poll that favored the Dems. Not at all. Their poll gives decent approval ratings for Cruz and Abbott. Trump and Cornyn are bad. Cornyn has a ridiculous 29% unsure about approve/disapprove of him. People in Texas don't know who he is after 18 years in office. Cruz only had a 10% unsure. Abbott 6%.

Cornyn only has 53% of the "some what conservative" vote even though they have a high unsure of 16%. It's very possible the pollsters won't say that Cornyn is a republican.  

7 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

thanks for the info. Interesting poll numbers: https://consumerenergyalliance.org/cms/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/CEA-TEXAS-Track.pdf

I wondered if this was a Democrat leaning poll that favored the Dems. Not at all. Their poll gives decent approval ratings for Cruz and Abbott. Trump and Cornyn are bad. Cornyn has a ridiculous 29% unsure about approve/disapprove of him. People in Texas don't know who he is after 18 years in office. Cruz only had a 10% unsure. Abbott 6%.

Cornyn only has 53% of the "some what conservative" vote even though they have a high unsure of 16%. It's very possible the pollsters won't say that Cornyn is a republican.  

Something odd in that and Mississippi. Way too low on the percentages like they didn’t push anyone or left something out. 

46 minutes ago, Gap03 said:

Don't know anything about this pollster, but fascinating shift in the polls in Mississippi - from R-+26 in March to R+1 in August.  I WANT to believe - giving that old racist clown the boot would be spectacular.

They didn't change the state flag in Mississippi for nothing this year.  They only did it because their polling told them they'd better do it and not go down some stupid fucking Lost Cause path.

10 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

I haven't seen Hegar ads except on Facebook. I've seen Cornyn on YouTube and regular TV.

Trump ads are clickbait headers and sidebars. The occasional ad on Facebook as well. 

I guess it's carpet bombing on the social media. 

Yeah, a lot of Trump ads are being run by third parties to get you to their sites/questionnaires.  That's been a steady trend since he first jumped in.

19 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Cornyn is odd - he's spent way too much time in DC, and unlike Cruz, he hasn't done much to raise his profile - people may think Cruz is nutty/cucked by Trump/etc., but at least they know who he is.  Cornyn is the very definition of bland old white guy.  You could put him in a lineup with some of our state officials (Paxton, etc.), and I'm not sure that many Texans could pick him out.

24 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Tyson is a GOP pollster

While I have no friends working for Tyson, and I make no assumptions about Tyson's numbers, I do have some who work for polling/data firms, and it's not unheard of for companies to tweak poll results to try and motivate the base and raise campaign donations.  I'm not saying they'd deliberately show a race being closer than it is, but....if there's money or votes in it...

10 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Cornyn is odd - he's spent way too much time in DC, and unlike Cruz, he hasn't done much to raise his profile - people may think Cruz is nutty/cucked by Trump/etc., but at least they know who he is.  Cornyn is the very definition of bland old white guy.  You could put him in a lineup with some of our state officials (Paxton, etc.), and I'm not sure that many Texans could pick him out.

The right wingers don't trust Cornyn. They think he's soft on Pizzagate, Obamagate, Burisma, the Q stuff, etc. He doesn't own the libs often enough. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Cornyn has spent his time in DC toeing the party line.  I assume his voting record is 100% what McConnell has told him to do. You would think that he would want to drop out of politics at this point and earn some money as lobbyist. Maybe grab an ambassador role for the next GOP president. I still expect him to win but perhaps this will be his last go-round as he's 68.

2 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

The right wingers don't trust Cornyn. They think he's soft on Pizzagate, Obamagate, Burisma, the Q stuff, etc. He doesn't own the libs often enough. 

Yeah, this. It’s very evident in the Facebook posts I see from some friends’ moms who all think he’s a liberal RINO. I’m not sure he’s ever said or done anything to generate that distrust, or if it’s just that he’s just never said or done anything to prove he’s bought in to that nonsense.